Next Gen 'MyMagic+' - announcement from Tom Staggs

From the Disney Parks Blog (link to post at end for all photos)...

Taking the Disney Guest Experience to the Next Level

posted on January 7th, 2013 by Tom Staggs, Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts

At Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, we continually push the boundaries of creativity and innovation to deliver the best possible experience for our guests. We’re always looking for ways to take what we do and do it even better. Over the past few years, we’ve devoted considerable time and resources to create a more immersive, more seamless and more personal experience for each and every guest who spends time with us. I know there’s been significant speculation about these efforts among our fans, so we’re pleased to give you a glimpse into the work we are doing to take the entire Disney guest experience to the next level.

Some of these initiatives are more apparent and can already be seen by our guests – like our interactive queues at Walt Disney World Resort and the Enchanted Art on our cruise ships – while others are more behind-the-scenes and are focused on “how” visitors plan, access and enjoy their experiences with us. Over the next several months, we’ll be rolling out a collection of tools at the Walt Disney World Resort called MyMagic+ that will give guests more opportunities to customize and personalize their entire visit.

Like most people who visit Walt Disney World Resort, my family and I have our “must-do” attractions, and as the father of three boys, those attractions often end with the word “mountain.” Now, rather than dashing as a group, or even splitting up to gather FastPasses, imagine booking guaranteed ride times for your favorite shows and attractions even before setting foot in the park. With MyMagic+, guests will be able to do that and more, enabling them to spend more time together and creating an experience that’s better for everyone.

A major component of MyMagic+ is the new My Disney Experience website and mobile app, which gives guests planning their trip the latest information on all Walt Disney World Resort has to offer. We know that some people like to plan every aspect of their Disney vacation in advance while others like to plan very little, letting their day unfold spontaneously. No matter where guests fall in that spectrum, My Disney Experience gives them the flexibility to plan as much or as little as they’d like to create the exact Disney experience they want. They can book dining and other experiences and reserve times for their favorite attractions, shows and more through an enhanced FastPass system, FastPass+. Once they arrive, they can use their smart phones to spontaneously change their plans in the moment, exploring our parks at their own pace and getting the most out of their visit.

Linking the entire MyMagic+ experience together is an innovative piece of technology we developed called the MagicBand. Worn on the wrist, it will serve as a guest’s room key, theme park ticket, access to FastPass+ selections, PhotoPass card and optional payment account all rolled into one. We’ve began testing certain aspects of MyMagic+ in Florida last month and the early reactions we’ve gotten have been fantastic.

This collection of tools is another step forward in the ongoing evolution of our guest experience, giving us even more ways to help friends and family create the unforgettable Disney memories that they want most. We’ll be testing, adjusting and adding features to MyMagic+ and My Disney Experience over time and will continue to make improvements based on our guests’ feedback. We look forward to sharing more with you in the months ahead!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/01/taking-the-disney-guest-experience-to-the-next-level/

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like it because it's aggravating and annoying all of you. BTW, what's a smart phone and where can I get one?

I'm very concerned that this wristband could cause a tan line.

The red color of that bracelet is going to clash with most of my outfits. This is unacceptable. Can't I just have a microchip injected in the back of my hand that automatically dissolves at midnight o

Part of me likes this idea but part of me thinks the people that don't plan ahead are going to get screwed. (Think fastpass system only worse.. more like ADR's)

I think those people are already getting screwed when they show up without a clue and don't take the time to find out - or just don't know what they don't know.

Those are generally the folks giving you dirty looks when you're blowing by them in the FP line.

My guess is that for people who just "show up" at WDW, not much will really change.

Am I the only one who doesn't want to plan in advance every minute of our trip? Spontaneity is part of the fun!

Agreed! I make a few ADRs for places that are usually impossible to walk up, and I check park hours - mostly because we like the PM EMH, but aside from that, our m.o. these days is "what do you feel like doing now?"

Having done it both ways I like not planning more but having a reserved tome to ride TSM....

Gotta agree with that one. That and Soarin might be the only rides I'd bother booking an advance FP for, mostly because we are absolutely *not* rope drop people.

I just dont agree with Tommy's premise that you will still able to be spontaneous by switching your FPs to other attractions.

When you decide to be spontaneous, you will still have to get online and change your FPs on your smartphone....assuming the app/website is not bogged down and the parks wi-fi is working well.

This also assumes there will still be FP+ slots left available for the rides you want to spontaneously ride.....which we all know will not be the case with many of the big-uns.

Part of me likes this idea but part of me thinks the people that don't plan ahead are going to get screwed. (Think fastpass system only worse.. more like ADR's)

I'm in your camp. I know the first time I went I was screwed. I did research and did some planning but if you've never been you don't know how everything works. I hate the fact that as soon as you hit the park I go one way and my DW goes the other to try to get some fast pass. I think the best way to enhance my Disney experience is to let less people in the parks on any given day. But that will never happen.

I'm getting off the soap box now.

This press release resulted in a front page story in today's St. Pete Times, one of Florida's biggest newspapers.

The new program will certainly generate buzz, which I'm sure is what the WDW IM's are hoping.

But, based on my recent experiences trying to use the My Disney Experience App, and the past track record WDW has had with new technology, I predict that there will be far more upset guests than there will be guests who like this new stuff.

Stupid.

TCD

This press release resulted in a front page story in today's St. Pete Times, one of Florida's biggest newspapers.

The new program will certainly generate buzz, which I'm sure is what the WDW IM's are hoping.

But, based on my recent experiences trying to use the My Disney Experience App, and the past track record WDW has had with new technology, I predict that there will be far more upset guests than there will be guests who like this new stuff.

Stupid.

TCD

I agree.

Here is my honest take on the whole FP system. I find it ironic that the same people who would run to get in line for a ride, now run to get FP for rides like TSM. I think it's cheating. Does it really help the line go faster? No. It just means that those who don't like to plan or have no idea until arriving have more of a hassle and longer waits. Having said that, now that i am no longer one of the unedujamicated I will use it to reduce my hassle but I do not really like using ADRs while in the parks, so scheduling my ride times months in advance just doesn't seem like much fun to me. Seems more like trying to bandage the problem instead of finding a true way to fix it.

For the TCD gang, who having many trips (including day ones), how in the world would you even be able to use this?

Is there still speculation that the number of FP's a person can get will be determined by the level of resort that person is staying at? That would rub me the wrong way. Planning I can handle......getting shafted because I like my camper more than an overpriced, bed bug infested, body fluid covered hotel room would piss me off.

I just dont agree with Tommy's premise that you will still able to be spontaneous by switching your FPs to other attractions.

When you decide to be spontaneous, you will still have to get online and change your FPs on your smartphone....assuming the app/website is not bogged down and the parks wi-fi is working well.

This also assumes there will still be FP+ slots left available for the rides you want to spontaneously ride.....which we all know will not be the case with many of the big-uns.

I agree. You can spontaneously decide you want to ride Jungle Cruise, maybe.

I agree.

Here is my honest take on the whole FP system. I find it ironic that the same people who would run to get in line for a ride, now run to get FP for rides like TSM. I think it's cheating. Does it really help the line go faster? No. It just means that those who don't like to plan or have no idea until arriving have more of a hassle and longer waits. Having said that, now that i am no longer one of the unedujamicated I will use it to reduce my hassle but I do not really like using ADRs while in the parks, so scheduling my ride times months in advance just doesn't seem like much fun to me. Seems more like trying to bandage the problem instead of finding a true way to fix it.

For the TCD gang, who having many trips (including day ones), how in the world would you even be able to use this?

You are right.

Every attraction has a certain capacity that it can handle. All the FP system does is shuffle things around so some folks can ride with a shorter wait. That means others end up with a longer wait. This new system is not any different in the final analysis- it is just a different way to shuffle the deck.

I have no idea how this will work for the TCD gang. Fortunately, we were able to enjoy WDW before all of this nonsense is going to mess things up. The girls will be heading off to college in June, and we won't be visiting as much in the future.

Is there still speculation that the number of FP's a person can get will be determined by the level of resort that person is staying at? That would rub me the wrong way. Planning I can handle......getting shafted because I like my camper more than an overpriced, bed bug infested, body fluid covered hotel room would piss me off.

They really haven't said. But it would be easy enough for them to do- offer more Fastpasses to those in the deluxe resorts or buying more expensive packages. Somebody is going to get shafted. It ain't going to be the people spending the most money.

TCD

I agree. You can spontaneously decide you want to ride Jungle Cruise, maybe.

Exactly!

They have installed RFID readers on the Aladdin's Magic Carpet ride and The Enchanted Tiki Birds and all kinds of attractions that never needed FP's. So, when you want to switch your FP's what do you think is going to come up as being available?

TCD

I would like to say thank goodness for the TourPlans App and homeschooling, as they allow you to go during non-peak season which almost (TSM/the like) prevents the need for FP BUT if we succeed in finding a place to live our kids will be back in public school next year..... having said that Touring Plans app is a great tool for sending you to the least busiest park of they day. That and going on rain forecasted days.

Exactly!

They have installed RFID readers on the Aladdin's Magic Carpet ride and The Enchanted Tiki Birds and all kinds of attractions that never needed FP's. So, when you want to switch your FP's what do you think is going to come up as being available?

TCD

No Tikitikitiki tiki birds for me. The music is up there with IASW for getting stuck in my head...... Now Al's ride is a decent replacement for Dumbo but not enough that i'd want to switch my FP for it.

I like it because it's aggravating and annoying all of you.

BTW, what's a smart phone and where can I get one?

I recently replaced my smart phone with the latest technology. My new phone actually allows me to speak to other people over long distances. It's amazing. Now I can carry on conversations with Bob as if we were in the same room. Unfortunately, it won't allow me to utilize this incredibly annoying new Disney app, tapping away on my device while wandering the parks while my kids surf away on their own devices. Wonderful family togetherness.

I hate the idea of having to wear bracelets every day. I can just imagine how much fun it will be to get all the kids to keep their bracelets on and to keep track of them. A three year old with an AP bracelet? We would never give a little kid their ticket to hold or put in their pocket. Also, we don't usually know what park we will be going in on any given day. I'm sure by the time we decide, there won't be any FP+'s left.