DaveInTN's Christmas 2012 Extravaganza (AKA 700 Photos Of Anna and Food)

We liked UTS. Oops, that sounds too much like something unmentionable.

Anyway, the ride tells the story from beginning to end. We don't have young children and rarely see Disney movies. It's nice to experience a new ride that we can understand!

Our beloved PP ... if you didn't know the story, would you understand what's going on? Unlike TSM, where we can enjoy the action without knowing what it's about.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great update, Dave! I loved the safari commentary. I think you should become a driver for the safari. You are a lot better than what they have there now. It's funny that you mention stopping to see sh

Don't forget Anna has LOTS of Aunts and Uncles. I think we could arrange an evening or afternoon for 2 :)

Hey Carol, for further clarification, I asked Anna. Her response was "это отстой обезьяны окурки".

Ariel's ride doesn't make me mad, but I do think they could have done better. The story line starts kind of slow, then before you know it she has legs and it's over. I know it's a couple minute long ride, but still...

Ariel ride was not a favorite. It was cute but once was enough for me. I like old school dark rides but Ariel was not a favorite of ours. My 3 year old girl would rather ride the barn stormer, or Dumbo. I liked the Snow white ride better.

OK, maybe my feathers are getting a little ruffled now.

But, I know it's just the Scotch talking.

TCD

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. I've successfully ruffled feathers. And I haven't even had any scotch today.

We liked UTS. Oops, that sounds too much like something unmentionable.

Anyway, the ride tells the story from beginning to end. We don't have young children and rarely see Disney movies. It's nice to experience a new ride that we can understand!

Our beloved PP ... if you didn't know the story, would you understand what's going on? Unlike TSM, where we can enjoy the action without knowing what it's about.

Wow Gwen. That post really confused me. You went from UTS to PP. Sounds like something a doctor should take a look at?

Ariel's ride doesn't make me mad, but I do think they could have done better. The story line starts kind of slow, then before you know it she has legs and it's over. I know it's a couple minute long ride, but still...

It's just a mess.

Ariel ride was not a favorite. It was cute but once was enough for me. I like old school dark rides but Ariel was not a favorite of ours. My 3 year old girl would rather ride the barn stormer, or Dumbo. I liked the Snow white ride better.

Same with my younger ones...they love the Barnstormer. We didn't ride the new Dumbo this time, but did the Magic Carpets and also the Triceratop Spin, both of which are similar, and they like those.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANNA A BIG HUG FROM ME HOPE IT WAS A GREAT DAY

Thanks Lorna!! She had a great day.

My feathers aren't ruffled but I think I may have molted a little.

Happy Birthday Anna!

Molted....LOL!!

LOving the TR Dave! Your parents are too cute - love them!

Hey Ally!!! I don't know if you had a chance to watch Gwen's video, but at some point in there you can see all the Potato Head stuff that you gave the girls spread across the picnic table. They play with it all the time...and I know because I have stepped on Potato Head pieces several times. :rofl3: Thank you again for that and the Christmas dress!

I did see her videos she is very talented! Sorry about the potato pieces, better than legos though right? I wish I had pics to do a TR, just a couple of drunken fireworks shots. Not sure why I even own a camera? I am sorry to hear that Christmas will not be a tradition :(

Hey monkey butt expert, Fantasyland is for kids. What were you expecting?

For what it is supposed to be, it's fine. Not something I'll do unless I have the grand kids with me.

The only reason they'll have the Mine Coaster there is to bribe the adults into bringing the kids there.

Happy belated birthday Anna! Next time post birthdays on the calendar so I can do my job. I'm sure she had a great day. Xoxoxo

Thanks Ray!

Tractor supply has that! My mom bought my husband chicken poop Chapstick for Christmas and the lady wanted her to buy the monkey butt powder for him too!

Good to know, Bubbles!

I did see her videos she is very talented! Sorry about the potato pieces, better than legos though right? I wish I had pics to do a TR, just a couple of drunken fireworks shots. Not sure why I even own a camera? I am sorry to hear that Christmas will not be a tradition :(

The Potato Head stuff has been a big hit.

Christmas may not be a tradition...but overall I do love the time of year there. We've done some great trips in early December in the past, and I hope to do some more in the future.

Hey monkey butt expert, Fantasyland is for kids. What were you expecting?

If that's the case, why do they serve beer and wine, Mr Smarty Pants?

OK, since Anna has spoken on this matter, I have changed my opinion.

The new LIttle Mermaid ride does, indeed, suck monkey butt.

TCD

Nice to see you take Anna at her word. Maybe I should have her write the next update.

Looks like Dave's attempt at feather ruffling has gotten a few people new tags! :th_whoopdedoo:

Your comment made me look and I have been tagged...woohoo!

I got a new tag myself!

It certainly seems the Tag Fairy reads my trip reports. :rofl3:

You Stick A Guy With A Camera In A Restricted Area, What Do You Expect?

I think we've discussed Under The Monkey Butt and the resultant tags about as much as we can. It's probably time to move on.

After riding Ariel, we headed into Storybook Circus. The Barnstormer has always been a favorite in my house, and we wanted to see how it had changed with the re-theming.

We checked Anna's height and sure enough, she was tall enough to ride. As opposed to BTM, which some of you thought she had ridden. :rofl3: So we rode the Barnstormer, and as you can tell if you've watched Gwen's video, Anna loved it and hated it at the same time. It was her first "big girl" ride ever. She laughed a lot, and then would look concerned and yell for Mama. (She rode next to me). But at the end of it all, she wanted to go again, so that's a good sign. But another ride would have to wait for a different day, because we had some fastpasses we had picked up earlier that had reached their time.

Where were we headed next?

DSCN1381.JPG

Down my most favorite, quietest path in the MK....to the big white ride in the distance!

Emma, Gwen, Isabel, Stella and I rode Space Mountain. I still love that ride! I think back to riding it for the first time as a kid, and it scared the crap out of me. Now, Stella is younger than I was then, and this is mild for her. Seriously, there is no way at 6 years old that I would even ride this thing, much less know where the camera is and make funny faces at it.

DSCN1385.JPG

DSCN1383.JPG

Notice Gwen above, video camera in hand. She was rarely without it on this trip. If you saw the video, you saw her SM footage. Pretty cool.

While we were riding, INC and Anna hit the Peoplemover. We met up afterward, and it was time for a snack.

We headed toward Liberty Square, as there was a snack there we were interested in trying out based upon the reviews of FIends.

Yep...we had the waffles.

On the way there, the sky was looking more and more ominous. When we got to Sleepy Hollow Treats, I went to order while INC and the girls grabbed some tables near the water. INC got the ponchos out when it started to sprinkle...so no big deal.

I got the waffles and joined them, putting on my poncho too.

Here is what we had....

A fruit and nutella waffle

DSCN1388.JPG

A powdered sugar waffle

DSCN1389.JPG

And a chicken waffle

DSCN1390.JPG

The official DaveInTN review?

I give two big thumbs up to the Nutella one. That was a winner, and I'll likely get it again someday. I did not try the powdered sugar one...that was for the little ones. And the chicken one? Even though I was really excited about it, as it looked to be right up my alley, it was disappointing to me. The chicken didn't have as much flavor as I thought it would, and the waffle was a bit dry which did not compliment the chicken at all. So I'll pass on another of those.

So before we could get too far into our waffles, the sky opened up. It poured! The ponchos somewhat protected us, but we couldn't let our waffles be ruined so we made a dash into the covered seating area. All the tables were taken, but two sweet Japanese girls made room at their table for us. They didn't speak a word of English, and we don't speak Japanese, but we communicated with smiles and nods. I know we all experience a lot of rude tourists at WDW, but I learned that not all foreigners are rude.

By the time we finished our waffles, the rain had diminished back to a drizzle, so we said sayonara to our new friends and moved on.

Since we were already wet, the girls thought it was a good time to ride Splash Mountain. I agreed, so while INC took Anna to Pecos Bills for some french fries, off we went to the Briar Patch.

As much as I went on yesterday about my disappointments with Under The Monkey Butt, I have to give Disney major props for SM. I won't try to go into the level of detail that the Troll did last year in his Splash Mtn review, but let me just tell you that I agree with him....this ride knocks it out of the park on both ride experience AND theming. I love it.

Can you tell?

DSCN1392.JPG

Disney at its finest, right there.

Everyone, sing with me.....

How do you do? Mighty pleasant greetin'

How do you do? Say it when you're meetin'

How do you do? With every one repeatin'

Pretty good show us your bone.

Pretty good show us your bone.

Wait, that's not right. Disney would NOT use those lyrics, would they? But go ride it and try telling me that's not what it sounds like.

Moving on...at about this point we headed back to the Fort for an afternoon rest, to dry off, and to eat some dinner. I think the menu tonight was Christmas leftovers...nothing too exciting. But some relaxation under the awning with a beer will sure rejuvenate a guy. So after dinner, it was back to the MK!!

DSCN1394.JPG

I don't care how many times I've seen that castle, it never ceases being awe inspiring.

DSCN1397.JPG

My 6 lovely ladies.

DSCN1398.JPG

DSCN1399.JPG

I kinda like how the Walt statue got silouetted in this next picture.

DSCN1402.JPG

DSCN1403.JPG

We headed back to ride small world....one of Anna's favorites.

Emma's getting psyched for the excitement.

DSCN1404.JPG

Why is it that this ride almost always gets backed up toward the end? Has it always been that way, or have they added boats? I don't know why, but I always seem to get stuck for several minutes underneath these two creeps.

DSCN1406.JPG

They really creep the hell out of me.

Someone was mesmerized.

DSCN1407.JPG

We wandered back into NF, and checked out the area around Gaston's in a little more detail. I tried getting a pic of the fountain with Cindy's castle in the background...it came out sorta weird I think.

DSCN1409.JPG

Fail.

The kids were wanting some dessert, and INC and I wanted a cream cheese pretzel, so that meant hoofing it back to Tomorrowland and the Lunching Pad.

If you've never tried one of these...do yourself a favor and get one sometime. I really like them.

DSCN1410.JPG

We got the kids ice cream from the soft serve place near there.

DSCN1411.JPG

Except for Stella, who wanted cotton candy.

DSCN1412.JPG

So everyone had their sugar fix. It was getting cold, but we wanted to stick around long enough to see Holiday wishes. So we decided to pass some time riding the Peoplemover...again.

DSCN1413.JPG

After that, we hit the Laugh Floor. That was hilarious. But it didn't waste enough time, and it still wasn't time for the fireworks. We were tired. And getting cold. We took a family vote, and decided to try to see Holiday Wishes another night. It was time for us to head out. The only problem is, Main Street was a zoo as it was getting close to MSEP time. We left the Laugh Floor area through Tomorrowland Terrace, and there were CM's guiding people who were trying to leave the park down a backstage walkway. So we went that way and found ourselves behind Main Street.

I had heard that they have taken to doing this at times. Once I was back there, I got out the camera to take a few pictures.

DSCN1415.JPG

DSCN1416.JPG

At about this point, a CM yelled at me, telling me not to take pictures back here. I snapped this one right as he was yelling, startling poor Emma.

DSCN1417.JPG

I call that last shot "Caught Red Handed".

So I put the camera away and we walked on.

But seriously??

I have some advice for Disney. If you don't want the public taking pictures back there, DON'T LET THEM WALK BACK THERE!! Wow, that would be simple. I do not believe that Walt would approve of letting guests get so much as a peek of a backstage area, much less use it to funnel guests out of the park! Sure, I appreciated the speedy bypass of Main Street during a very busy parade time. But there certainly was something un-magical about it, and I frankly regretted that we had gone that way.

In any case, in very short order, we found ourselves coming out next to Tony's Town Square restaurant, and were prepared to exit the park and head to the boat. Only, that's not what we did.

Coming up...