The TCD Gang Runs Disney-2013 Princess Half Marathon Weekend TR

If there ever comes a day that the breakfast sandwich disappears, a cup of coffee and a cinnamon roll will do the trick. Not those pecan things. The other ones.

Wait a second.

Are you saying those things that look like hockey pucks with frosting there in the middle of the top row are good? :

RoyalFamily5K2013531_zps6c7bb967.jpg

That would surprise the heck out of me.

TCD

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

totally could have done without the visual of Creepy Claus scratching his Christmas ornaments!

TCD running, there better be some photos.

Nope, not in with the twins. I'm not doubting that TCD ran it, I just want to see photos of it for blackmail evidence.

Time for another update.

And, if you're enjoying this report, I have some bad news for you.

This is the end.

Here we are clicking along, and I just realized that this walking tour was all that I took photos of on Sunday.

After this, I will be heading back to the Pop Century Resort and packing up and hitting the road.

As you may recall, I hopped the Orange bus at the Settlement, and we took off with me as the only passenger on the bus.

When we got to the 800 loop, a huge group joined me. They were loud! They were some kind of chowds and carried on a loud conversation about what they needed to do when they got to the Pahkin' Lot up front to continue on to their next destination.

When we got to the 900 loop, I had already had enough. I bolted off the bus. No way could I listen to that all the way to the Pahkin' Lot.

So, I found myself back at the Meadow Trading Post:

RoyalFamily5K2013552_zpsc839221f.jpg

The last time I was in here, Mickey had a Santa hat on. Now he is dressed right:

RoyalFamily5K2013561_zps7528a315.jpg

RoyalFamily5K2013562_zpsc1cb2806.jpg

Instead of a gun, he has a bucket of pine cones.

A bucket of pine cones?

Geez!

I am undefeated on this checker board:

RoyalFamily5K2013565_zpsea38a620.jpg

Of course, I've only played my kids.

But still.

There's a good old Musket Mickey on the checkerboard:

RoyalFamily5K2013566_zps9e3496e1.jpg

For $.51 you can smash a penny in the machine they have by the door into a design that looks close to this.

But, speaking of the machine- it wasn't there by the door.

What the Fort?

Not to worry- I found it.

They just moved it outside:

RoyalFamily5K2013567_zpsd041bbc5.jpg

You can still get a copper Mickey with a gun for $.51:

RoyalFamily5K2013568_zpsfcec5bfd.jpg

There were a bunch of hooligans fishing on Bob's dock. I yelled at them and told them to get the Fort off:

RoyalFamily5K2013569_zps0b23750f.jpg

I decided that I would take a walk over to the 1500 loop and check on things over on that side of the campground.

So, I headed across the bridge behind the trading post. Here's a look at the canal here. No slime. You can see where the canal banks usually are, and how low the water is:

RoyalFamily5K2013570_zpse2715ae2.jpg

I figured I might as well check on the pool:

RoyalFamily5K2013571_zpsede41a78.jpg

Everything seemed to be in order:

RoyalFamily5K2013572_zps39e31ee9.jpg

I thought the splash area was looking pretty bad:

RoyalFamily5K2013573_zps9138fb75.jpg

But there has been a recent report that they are sprucing the splash area up. I think it's a shame that they let it get this beat-up looking, but it's good to hear that they are doing some work on it.

This is the playground by the pool:

RoyalFamily5K2013574_zps54ad6659.jpg

And this sidewalk will take us to the footbridge to the 1500 loop:

RoyalFamily5K2013575_zpsd7361f9f.jpg

This little pavilion is the perfect place for a picnic with a large group of your friends. If you ever want to use it, show up early and put your stuff over all the tables. You can drag in coolers full of drinks, and bring your own food and charcoal, and enjoy the pool. Best of all, it's open to everyone- not just Fort Wilderness guests. How awesome is that? :

RoyalFamily5K2013576_zpsb60ff5ef.jpg

The Fort is one of the few WDW resorts with tennis courts:

RoyalFamily5K2013577_zps47d211e5.jpg

The sidewalk I'm on continues right on to the bridge:

RoyalFamily5K2013578_zps1902336c.jpg

And here we are:

RoyalFamily5K2013579_zpsc8e71301.jpg

At the entrance to the 1500 loop:

RoyalFamily5K2013580_zps437ca884.jpg

I was going to walk around the loop. But it was pretty busy with folks getting packed up, and lots of kids were running around. I figured no one would appreciate some guy walking around taking pictures:

RoyalFamily5K2013581_zpsae70ba5c.jpg

I figure that a lot of people have never noticed this, but there are some old railroad ties still in the ground right near the entrance to the 1500 loop. You can see them here:

RoyalFamily5K2013582_zpsc438924c.jpg

What are those doing there?

The train actually used to pass by here.

If you look toward the back of that photo, you can see ballast on the ground. There used to be a bridge that crossed the canal back there. The supports for the bridge are still there, and if you fight the brush, insects and snakes, and walk far enough, there are some old tracks still sitting back there on the other side of the canal.

From here, I parked it in the 1500 loop bus stop and waited for a Yellow bus.

One came along in due time.

I hopped aboard, and we headed on back to the Outpost.

The parking lot was kind of busy:

RoyalFamily5K2013583_zpsd843f282.jpg

RoyalFamily5K2013584_zpsb067c6d8.jpg

This is the field next to the old kennel building. This is where the new barn is supposed to go, but there are no signs of that happening any time soon:

RoyalFamily5K2013585_zps466dac5e.jpg

And that's it.

After that, I got in my car and headed back to Pop Century.

The girls were up, and having breakfast in the food court.

The place was super busy.

A lot of people were already returning after having run the half marathon that morning.

I was amazed at how many people there were.

And by how they were dressed.

But, I didn't take photos,.

I decided that none of these folks would be made fun of.

Despite how ridiculous some of them looked.

Running 13.1 miles is impressive.

It's something I've never done.

Yet.

So that's my report.

Hopefully, there will be another trip soon.

If things ever calm down in the TCD house.

Which doesn't look likely.

TCD

This is beginning to take on the feel of a funeral march.

Watching the slow demise of the lawnmower tree....SMB

No more breakfast sandwiches....SMB

New benches.....SMB

Old windmill as reminder of what the TCD Farm used to be....SMB

What's next? Are you going to tell us that the pathway into the Settlement is being turned into a street?

Don't forget the "new" Settlement sign. I need to contradict TCD and say it is not kinda cool. It SMB and can be added to your SMB list. No amount of Anti MB powder can help that.

The walking tour was very cool though. Nice work! :)

When I see someone like the lady in your grossest picture ever, I just wonder..doesn't anyone love her enough to tell her??? If I suddenly lost my mind and decided to stroll around Disney World like that, I would hope someone would love me enough to stop me.

Just when I finally decide I'm going to go on a Disney Cruise instead of a repeat trip to the World...you go and do the walking tour and make me Fort-sick and now my mind is not as made up as it was.

Awesome as always TCD. Thanks. :heart:

Thanks for the walking tour. Love the Fort!

DH and I had dinner at Trails End Saturday night.

It was a nice evening.

I'll bet it was!

Thanks for reading.

Yes, TCD, thank you for the walking tour! And the education!

Anytime Gwen. One of these days, I'm going to take you on an early morning tour of the Fort.

Another great TCD TR!

Thanks for sharing.

Maybe things will calm when #2 chooses a school?

If not, I hope you all enjoy the college tours, etc.

Three kids at different colleges in SEC Country.......let the rivalries begin!!

Twin #2 and I are heading to Tallahassee next weekend. Her decison will follow that visit.

Oldest DD graduates first week of May and is supposed to be moved to Auburn by the second week. I need to make an Auburn road trip pronto to find her a place to live.

The Twins graduate HS at the beginning of June. There will be the usual graduation festivites to attend to.

What I want to know is when are we going to the Fort?

Don't forget the "new" Settlement sign. I need to contradict TCD and say it is not kinda cool. It SMB and can be added to your SMB list. No amount of Anti MB powder can help that.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the new sign, but I still think it's OK.

I don't think it belongs on the SMB list.

When I see someone like the lady in your grossest picture ever, I just wonder..doesn't anyone love her enough to tell her??? If I suddenly lost my mind and decided to stroll around Disney World like that, I would hope someone would love me enough to stop me.

She was not from this land.

I honestly think she though she was hot. She was kind of strutting around. I should have videoed it. But I'm glad I didn't.

I really want to bid on a walking tour with you. The photos and explanations were great, but hanging with you would be so much better.

OK, if we are ever at the Fort at the same time, you can tag along.

You'll probably bail after a while.

I know my kids would.

Thanks for another great trip report.

You're welcome.

By the way, I looked for my last photo of the lawnmower tree sign. I have one from August. So it disappeared some time after August.

Just when I finally decide I'm going to go on a Disney Cruise instead of a repeat trip to the World...you go and do the walking tour and make me Fort-sick and now my mind is not as made up as it was.

Awesome as always TCD. Thanks. :heart:

Go on the cruise.

Definitely.

Bravo! Bravo!

Now onto your Flower & Garden Festival report. I'm going to arrive in 16 days, so I need you to hurry.

I know.

I have been wanting to go.

We almost made it last weekend. But stuff happened.

Maybe, maybe this weekend.

Fingers crossed.

TCD

Now Kimmie, my dear. You remember that you and I have argued about this before. I don't mind the sign. I don't love it, but I am just ambivalent about it. However, I will say this. I like pie. So the Settlement TP sign does, indeed, SMB.

Bravo! Another great report.

Even though this was not one of your hitting-three-parks-in-one-day, then dinner-at-the-Fort-and-back-again TR's, I think it is among one of my favorites since I have been reading your work.

Despite the brief detour into questionable, fleshy waters.

I love that you took us along on your stroll through the Fort, taking photos of scenery we have all seen a hundred times, but making note of things we may have not noticed or known the background about.

And, I just love the Fort, period. So taking that walk with you was a lovely bit of peace in the midst of a hectic day, not quite as therapeutic as being there, but the imagery was enough to calm my senses.

Thank you!

Mo, TCD is calling peeps from New England, Chowds and making fun of paking the ca.

Yeah. So?

I wasn't really making fun. I was just stating a fact: People in Red Sox hats are loud and sometimes a little annoying. Especially in groups.

Hey Lou. The Pats lost Wes Welker to the Broncos today.

#That'sHowYouStirTheBeanPot

Stirring the Bean Pot.

LOL!

Excellent Job! Thanks again for a wonderful glimpse of the World that is Disney and especially the Fort.

My pleasure.

Seriously, that walk is something I will be doing again.

Thank You for yet another incredible trip report.

You're welcome. And thank you for reading.

Enjoyed your TR, especially the walk around the fort!

Thanks. I hope it encourages folks to walk around the Fort themselves.

Now Kimmie, my dear. You remember that you and I have argued about this before. I don't mind the sign. I don't love it, but I am just ambivalent about it. However, I will say this. I like pie. So the Settlement TP sign does, indeed, SMB.

Man, KFK must make a mean pie.

Bravo! Another great report.

Even though this was not one of your hitting-three-parks-in-one-day, then dinner-at-the-Fort-and-back-again TR's, I think it is among one of my favorites since I have been reading your work.

Despite the brief detour into questionable, fleshy waters.

I love that you took us along on your stroll through the Fort, taking photos of scenery we have all seen a hundred times, but making note of things we may have not noticed or known the background about.

And, I just love the Fort, period. So taking that walk with you was a lovely bit of peace in the midst of a hectic day, not quite as therapeutic as being there, but the imagery was enough to calm my senses.

Thank you!

Thanks.

The next time you're at the Fort, park the cart and take a walk.

As you know, there are many more places that can only be seen by foot.

Great report. The walking tour of the Fort was fantastic. My first few trips I was cartless and did a lot of walking. It's amazing how much more detail you see when on foot.

Thanks.

And, I agree with you about walking- there is something much more enjoyable about seeing the Fort at a walking pace, rather than zooming by on a cart.

I look forward to it! But can we take the golf cart part of the way? I don't think I could keep up with you!

Please. If you can walk around the parks, you can walk around the Fort.

The only time we will need the cart is to go over to the Lodge. You have never been there, right?

TCD

In case anyone wants to try the walking tour, this is a map that shows the route I took:

fortwalk_zpsff6b095b.jpg

I am surprised to see that I walked over two miles. The Fort maps used to say that it was one mile from the Outpost to the Settlement "as the crow flies." It's a lot longer as the TCD walks.

If you ever have an hour or so to spare, though, I highly recommend taking that walk.

TCD