Disney raising minimum age to enter parks without adult

Me and my older brother used to ride trams, boats, and monorails all over the world without a parent. We were probably 10 and 12.

It is amazing where you can get quickly from the Fort.

Of course.........our parents thought we were just bumming around the meadows area and didn't know that is what we were doing.

But as of today, a 7 year old can be admitted alone?

I guess it's one of those things that would never actually happen? Disney should be able to rely on the parents or guardians to not allow their 7 year old to take a park pass and hit the boats for the MK. Right?

Wrong.

I am guessing that's why they are changing it.

I never understood this in the first place.

A 7 or 8 year old going to a theme park alone?

Are you kidding?

On one of our recent trips, a boy who was about 8 or 9 got on the bus to DHS with us at the Outpost bus stop. He had a loud telephone conversation with the parent he was apparently going to meet in the park, He also drank a can of soda, put the can on the bus floor, and smashed it loudly.

I was going to follow him in to the park and slap his mom when he met up with her. But the twins held me back.

TCD

Both of my boys are very responsible. They are 11 and 14 now. I still don't think I would let the 11 go off with the 14 right now. I would trust the 14 year old by himself to be respectful and know what to do in an emergency, but watching out for the 11 just isn't on the table yet.

If a 7 year old is old enough to buy beer and cigarettes, then they are old enough to go to the Magic Kingdom alone.

Frankly I am amazed it has taken Disney this long to change this policy. Disney is so conscience of how fast people want to sue for any reason. I let my seven year-old go to your park on their own because your policy said they could and they got hurt. You now owe me $$$$$$. I still think they are on shaky ground. I sure don’t know any 14 year-olds I would feel comfortable supervising young kids on their own at a park. It baffles my mind (ok so that’s not hard to do) that Disney thought a 2nd grader should be able to go to a park on their own.

It baffles my mind (ok so that’s not hard to do) that Disney thought a 2nd grader should be able to go to a park on their own.

They are probably only changing the policy because internal data indicates that 7 year olds do not spend any money. 14 years must be the magic age when Dad gives them charging privileges on their KTTW card.

But it's Disney! Nothing bad can happen at Disney!

I love how on America's Most Wanted when they show fugitives posing with their families at Disney World. It is the magnet for every felon on the run.

If WDWMagic is right, Disney has forgotten to send the memo to transportation CMs. There has been no announcement regarding the age change as yet.

Currently and until told otherwise, the age at which a child is allowed to ride the buses alone remains at 7.

They should change the age, but CMs will have the same problem they have now, how do you tell? I can't tell the difference between a 7 and 8 year old and I won't be able to tell the difference between a 13 and 14 years old.

I have never had a child under, what I believe to be, 10 years old try to ride the bus alone.

I see verification of age 14 to be a problem.

Thought...print kids birthday on Disney card and be required to show CM's to get access to transportation boats, trams, etc. when not accompanied by an adult?

A fair number of the sports and tour groups include kids under 14. Checking cards during opening and closing hours will slow things down quite a bit. Talk about regular guests getting angry because they have to wait. Also, kids staying off property would have to get cards.

They may be opening up a can of worms if this was done. You don't see a lot of kids around 7 or 8 riding the buses alone, so it's not really an issue, but you do see kids in their early teens riding alone. How do we tell?

There has been no official announcement yet and bus drivers will need to know.

I see verification of age 14 to be a problem.

Thought...print kids birthday on Disney card and be required to show CM's to get access to transportation boats, trams, etc. when not accompanied by an adult?

NO, I say tattoo the birthday on the forehead :bugeyes:

"But it's Disney! Nothing bad can happen at Disney!"

LOL. That was my first thought, then I looked at the next comment and saw ^.

It absolutely floors me what parents will let their kids do because "it won't happen to me" or "the chances of it happening are so low". Ridiculous.