No, they had to add one because they didn't get all the pieces up on the scheduled launch dates.  The Obama administration had to approve the extra launch last year.  I sure am going to miss watching them.  There is one particular one I will never, ever forget, however, I try to keep that locked away. :parrot:

I always like the night one's because being able to see them so well. I know which one you are talking about Jen. I was sitting on the beach that morning and at the time didn't know they didn't make it. I kept saying they had to be in a super strong capsule and they were going to be rescued. It felt like losing your own family members. One of my science teachers was a finalist for the spot Christa McCauliffe got. I hope people always remember them.

I will never forget that day either, it was the same day my Son was born. He was born in Sarasota, and DH was at the hospital's roof top parking lot and saw it happen. Everyone was afraid to tell us in the hospital so I didn't find out until 3 that afternoon. Such a Happy, Sad day for me.

Oh wow, we were just talking about that at work last night.  One of our team mates said he met the person who was the coronor for the crew when they found the capsule.  They were alive when they hit the water and a some of them survived the impact and their cause of death was drowning. I was just shocked when I heard that cause it sounds like they threw everything out the window that they learned from Apollo missions

There were too many clouds blocking our view. :wave1:

There are 2 more launches scheduled - one in April and one in June.  My guess is that for the one in June, you won't be able to get within 75 miles of the cape because of everyone that will be going to see the "last" launch.

I hold my breath on every launch.  We have been very fortunate not to have had more space disasters, or maybe some we had could have been avoided if more precautions had been taken.  I don't know.  I just pray that as we come to rely on the Russian Soyuz spacecraft for the foreseeable future, that their program is as reliable as ours has been.  I hope the politicians don't make this a budget saver, saying we can just use theirs and not build our own.

It's always been our dream to witness a launch. We have been down there 3 times for scheduled launches over the years but all 3 had been postponed so we missed them all  :bugeyes:.  Our next trip down to Disney is in June but we are flying in and out for a short trip with the grandkids. When NASA made their last changes we looked at the schedule and realized that  the June launch is scheduled for the day we leave Disney. We will be flying out 3 hours PRIOR to the scheduled launch..UGH!!!!!! :dance:

Considering that warm air rises, if a man builds up gas and the ambient temperature is less than his body temperature, does he weigh less than when he does not have gas? If he ate a pound of beans, would he weigh more or less? Going further, if one ate enough gaseous food, would they ultimately float off into space?

:doublebeer:

I hope the politicians don't make this a budget saver, saying we can just use theirs and not build our own.

Too Late.  Obama has already ordered the Constellation Program to be terminated several months ago  (to be fair it was already running late because GWB had underfunded it...)

He (Obama) has effectively ended our manned space program. He did send some of the money to Private companies to develop their own vehicles, but it will be years, probably 2020 or later until they are ready to replace NASA. And even that funding was cut in the current budget.....

We (and the ISS) are now dependant on the Russians for the foreseeable future once these last two shuttle missions are launched.

:doublebeer: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Considering that warm air rises, if a man builds up gas and the ambient temperature is less than his body temperature, does he weigh less than when he does not have gas? If he ate a pound of beans, would he weigh more or less? Going further, if one ate enough gaseous food, would they ultimately float off into space?

:heart:

No doesn't work that way Bob.  I tried.  On a side note, I can turn any tub, pool, or lake for that matter into a bubble bath / whirlpool.

• 1 month later...

Posted by WSB-TV today...

Updated: 11:16 am EDT April 4, 2011

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- NASA is delaying its next space shuttle flight - the last voyage of Endeavour with Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' astronaut husband in charge.

The flight was postponed because the original April 19 date conflicts with Russia's plans to send a cargo ship to the International Space Station.

Endeavour is now scheduled to blast off April 29 with Mark Kelly at the helm. It will be the next-to-last shuttle mission. Shuttle Atlantis will close out the 30-year shuttle program this summer.

NASA announced the postponement Monday, after conferring over the weekend with the Russian Space Agency and other space station partners.

An unmanned Russian cargo ship is set to blast off at the end of April. NASA did not want the craft docking at the space station while Endeavour was still there. Now, the cargo ship will arrive first.

NASA spokesman Allard Beutel said the Russians were reluctant to postpone the supply run because of a time-sensitive biological experiment aboard the craft.

Kelly and five crewmates will deliver a $2 billion physics experiment to the space station, as well as critical spare parts to keep the orbiting outpost running for another decade.

The two-week mission will be the last for Endeavour, the baby of NASA's shuttle fleet. It was built to replace Challenger, which was destroyed during liftoff in 1986.

The postponement puts the launch, scheduled for 3:47 p.m., on the same day as the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.

Endeavour is checking out fine at the launch pad following last week's severe storms that brought high wind, lightning strikes, hail and even funnel clouds to Kennedy Space Center. Only inconsequential damage was found on the insulating foam of Endeavour's external fuel tank, officials said.

Kelly returned to training in February after taking time off to be at his wife's hospital bedside. Giffords was shot in the head in Tucson, Ariz., in early January. She is recuperating in Houston, home to Kelly and the rest of NASA's astronaut corps. Kelly said last week that he's awaiting doctors' final approval for his wife to attend his launch.

In Kazakhstan, meanwhile, two Russians and an American were poised to blast off Monday as the newest station crew. They will join three astronauts already in orbit.

___