It's The End of the World as We Know It-The TCD Gang's Last Fort Trip (BC)

It's good to be TCD:

He's got kids blanketing a lot of the major schools in the southeast

At the drop of a hat, books a family get together at some cool river retreat

The twins want to see a major fireworks show, they hope in the car and head to DW

Is planning a possible August that includes kids who share his enthusiasm

Oh yeah, and his TRs get a ridiculous number of views and posts.

I know, that's how you roll....... :)

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, TCD and I met in person right in line for TSM!! It was a highlight of my trip!!! I am not kidding, it truly was!!! Four weeks prior to that trip, I had been a healthy "normal" 44 year old lady. I

This thread is a weird combination of a Hallmark channel movie and a tissue commercial. I'm going to go watch monster trucks or something. Then hug my kids and forbid them to grow up.

Do my eyes deceive me? Did I actually make page 1 on a TCD report??

I'm just now caught up... Whew that was a lot of bonus material. Not that I wish you hadn't shared it, just, I think I'm TR'd out for the near term! I did want to clarify one point from about 20 pages back. The conductor on a train is kinda like the captain on a ship, while the engineer is more like a helmsman. The conductor dictates the schedule, switching, setting-out of cars (on freight trains) and such. The engineer is in charge of keeping the engine pressures in line, commanding the fireman/men (who stoke the coal/wood into the firebox), throttling and braking, and signaling (whistle/horn). Additionally, there is usually a brakeman who carries out the conductor's bidding, throwing switches, coupling/decoupling cars, and using a signal lantern to communicate commands to the engineer (since conductor and brakeman are usually in the caboose).

Who said anything about me being sad for you??  I am sad for the rest of us who are faced with either no more TCD trip reports...or worse yet, TCD trip reports filled with selfie photos as there are no twins to take pics of.

I see what you mean.  This is very sad indeed.

The Castle show was not shown on the 1st because the MSEP was late starting and did not finish in time. So in order for the fireworks to start on time, they had to cancel the show. Also, the fireworks on the 3rd and 4th were 360 degrees while the rest of the week were only 180 degrees. So you got a little more on the 3rd and 4th.

Dang it!  This was one of the rare times we were in the MK for the 360 degree fireworks, and I didn't realize that we only got the 180!  So I got gypped out of the calliope, the projection show and the 360 degree fireworks.  Fail.

Thank You for sharing TCD.   I am happy for the girls, and I know Mrs. TCD and you will be fine...

Thanks.  You are right- we will be fine.

Blurry selfies at that! tCD please work on your selfie skills!

True.  I can't take a non-blurry selfie.  I do need to work on this.

I think The Black Hole is probably one of those movies I think is good because I saw it as a youngling but if i watched it now I would think it was a steaming pile..........so no you should probably not waste your time watching it.......VINCENT is still cool though.

I am going to get a copy and watch it.  I'll let you know what I think.

It's good to be TCD:

He's got kids blanketing a lot of the major schools in the southeast

At the drop of a hat, books a family get together at some cool river retreat

The twins want to see a major fireworks show, they hope in the car and head to DW

Is planning a possible August that includes kids who share his enthusiasm

Oh yeah, and his TRs get a ridiculous number of views and posts.

I know, that's how you roll....... :)

Thank you, Fred.

When you're right, you're right.

I'm just now caught up... Whew that was a lot of bonus material. Not that I wish you hadn't shared it, just, I think I'm TR'd out for the near term! I did want to clarify one point from about 20 pages back. The conductor on a train is kinda like the captain on a ship, while the engineer is more like a helmsman. The conductor dictates the schedule, switching, setting-out of cars (on freight trains) and such. The engineer is in charge of keeping the engine pressures in line, commanding the fireman/men (who stoke the coal/wood into the firebox), throttling and braking, and signaling (whistle/horn). Additionally, there is usually a brakeman who carries out the conductor's bidding, throwing switches, coupling/decoupling cars, and using a signal lantern to communicate commands to the engineer (since conductor and brakeman are usually in the caboose).

Very impressive, Shannon.  Now, I'll have to pay attention the next time I ride the MK train.

Wow, so TCD which one of these younger families have you groomed to take over for you?

Great report that I started readying like 2 months ago it seems!

Dan

Yes, this report took a long time to finish.

Thanks for reading it all.

I'm sure there will continue to be other great trip reports to read.

TCD

I just found two more photos to share from my 4th of July trip.

They are of Rocky in the river, fetching his flip flop.  They were taken at sunrise on the 4th.  Rocky was up early for a swim.

One cool detail to look for in these photos- there are two otters swimming in the river.  Look all the way to the other side of the river, past Rocky's head.

rocky1_zps826deb19.jpg

rocky2_zps55c3287c.jpg

Now I'm done.

TCD

FINALLY I finished it!  I am very proud of that so please don't add any more bonus material and burst my bubble!

I had so many comments ready from where I'd left off, but it's too much!  Parade people!  The monk!  Middle aged men living in their mom's basement.  Honestly I could not tell if the people in that SW parade were CM's with horrible costumes or people wearing 80's sweat suits with a few pieces of plastic armor placed in random areas.  Having been to a couple of SWW, I was cracking up at the various references.  And just think….we probably walk or drive right by these folks every day at work or in our travels.  You never know what someone's story is.

I'll say it again, I still don't think this is the "end", just the beginning of a different phase.  Just think.  Every bathroom in the house is all YOURS now!  And the Mrs., of course… I adore my children and am trying very hard to raise them to be good people.  I know I'll be a wreck when they leave…but part of me is excited to see what they'll do, too.

One quick question….when you and T1 were on the porch for your GAG and the rain came down, did you get bit a lot?  Every time I am over there or by that playground I get eaten alive, particularly if it has just rained!

Lastly, I have to tell you that I was in Target the other day and saw a Monsters U. shower curtain on clearance for roughly $13.  So you totally got poned on that.  (don't ask me what poned means, my kids say it.  Sorry if it's a reference to something nasty.  But it's a fun word!)  Anyway, maybe you could convert it to a table cloth when she's bored with it and replace the cow one.  You could put your plate right on one of the clam shells.

I don't believe you.

I don't blame you.

But, it's done.

Plus FP4 told me below that enough is enough.

FINALLY I finished it!  I am very proud of that so please don't add any more bonus material and burst my bubble!

I had so many comments ready from where I'd left off, but it's too much!  Parade people!  The monk!  Middle aged men living in their mom's basement.  Honestly I could not tell if the people in that SW parade were CM's with horrible costumes or people wearing 80's sweat suits with a few pieces of plastic armor placed in random areas.  Having been to a couple of SWW, I was cracking up at the various references.  And just think….we probably walk or drive right by these folks every day at work or in our travels.  You never know what someone's story is.

I'll say it again, I still don't think this is the "end", just the beginning of a different phase.  Just think.  Every bathroom in the house is all YOURS now!  And the Mrs., of course… I adore my children and am trying very hard to raise them to be good people.  I know I'll be a wreck when they leave…but part of me is excited to see what they'll do, too.

One quick question….when you and T1 were on the porch for your GAG and the rain came down, did you get bit a lot?  Every time I am over there or by that playground I get eaten alive, particularly if it has just rained!

Lastly, I have to tell you that I was in Target the other day and saw a Monsters U. shower curtain on clearance for roughly $13.  So you totally got poned on that.  (don't ask me what poned means, my kids say it.  Sorry if it's a reference to something nasty.  But it's a fun word!)  Anyway, maybe you could convert it to a table cloth when she's bored with it and replace the cow one.  You could put your plate right on one of the clam shells.

Great comments!

Good job reading it all, and I will not burst your bubble by posting more bonus material.

Thanks for reminding me about the shower curtain.  So far, Twin #2 reports that it is functioning fine.  In the fall, it will be in a bathroom shared by four girls.  We'll see how it holds up then.  I hope it holds up, as it probably will be my new tablecloth one day.

Poned?

Your boys are so two thousand and late.

My girls have been using that word since 2008, at least.

A band called the Jonas Brothers used that term (which might be a reason that your boys might want to find a new word).

I told the story here:

I don’t know why but I decided to snap a pic of the ring carver stand. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone buy a carved ring but that stand has been around for quite a while so I guess someone’s buying them.

P6302934.jpg

Geez!

What rock have you been living under?

Did you miss the whole carved ring craze of '08?

I sure didn't.

It seem that a certain Jonas Brother (you remember them, don't you?) by the name of Nick bought himself a carved ring at the MK (the stand is outside POC). He even wore it in a photo shoot.

After that all of the cool girls just had to have a carved ring just like Nick.

His ring said "PONED" of all things. That was a cool lingo among the young folks back then.

My DD's found the actual gentleman who carved Nick J.'s ring. He used to work at the Fort on occasion, but I haven't seen him in a while.

Long story short, old TCD has purchase a few of them carved rings.

Hopefully Justin Bieber doesn't get one.

TCD

p.s. If anyone would like to buy a PONED ring, please let me know. There are several discarded ones around my house.

And that is not the end of the story:

Apparently I was under one of those Fort Wilderness Rocks at the Outpost. I missed out on the carved ring craze.

Then again I only have boys and they don't care about the Jonas brothers or whether or not they have carved rings. Heck, I've never even heard the term PONED.

I hope Justin Bieber doesn't get a carved ring either... for your sake. Since I have only boys I won't have to worry about it for myself.

I took a younger cousin to a New Kids On The Block concert. I've paid my dues. :rofl2:

Apparently you have been living under a rock.

I went to Urban Dictionary to get a good definition of PONED for you.

That site cracks me up!

There are some folks on there who could teach some folks on here about snark.

But anyway, I have seen PONED spelled as pwned. I believe the latter is the correct spelling.

My daughters always told me the word was a combination of the words punked and owned. You would say it when you beat someone in a game, like: "I sure poned you on the tetherball court today."

Well, look what is says on Urban Dictionary:

a misspelled form of the misspelled word "pwned." usually said by 12 year old Jonas Brothers fans who are complete tools of the Jonas Brothers. Jonas Brothers also take credit for the creation of "poned" when really it was formed on the internet

Who knew?

TCD

Since then, the Urban Dictionary has spiced up the definition, which I cannot repeat here.

TCD

I don't blame you.

But, it's done.

Plus FP4 told me below that enough is enough.

Great comments!

Good job reading it all, and I will not burst your bubble by posting more bonus material.

Thanks for reminding me about the shower curtain.  So far, Twin #2 reports that it is functioning fine.  In the fall, it will be in a bathroom shared by four girls.  We'll see how it holds up then.  I hope it holds up, as it probably will be my new tablecloth one day.

Poned?

Your boys are so two thousand and late.

My girls have been using that word since 2008, at least.

A band called the Jonas Brothers used that term (which might be a reason that your boys might want to find a new word).

I told the story here:

And that is not the end of the story:

Since then, the Urban Dictionary has spiced up the definition, which I cannot repeat here.

TCD

Actually, I'm the one who is behind the times.  I got the term from them, but they haven't used it in a long time……and like KFK's boys, had no interest in the brothers Jonas during their 15 min.  Any Bieber reference causes them to cringe.  But, I'm a dorky middle aged mom, so I am allowed to use outdated terminology.  Ya feel me?  Like, far out man.  Gnarly.

See what I did there.

They have new material now, though I won't try to quote any of it because I'm sure I'll mess it up, and if I ask I get heavy sighs and eye rolls.

Forgot to mention that Rocky stole the show once again.  He looks like a lot of fun!

I did it!!   I finally got in on the FIRST PAGE of a TCD TR!!   ,,,,,,,,   oh.... never mind..........   ;-)

BTW, is it just me or does the calliope look kind of drab now?  It's not a bad look, I just remember it being more colorful when it was behind glass at FW.

and the "Black Hole" is a Classic!  IIRC it was Disney's first real attempt at Sci-Fi.  Didn't do too well at the box office, critics thought it was just a Star-Wars knock-off, but it had great special effects for the time, especially the V.I.N.C.E.N.T. robot, and again IIRC voiced by Roddy McDowall.  I had always hoped they would use him in a sequel.

Actually, I'm the one who is behind the times.  I got the term from them, but they haven't used it in a long time……and like KFK's boys, had no interest in the brothers Jonas during their 15 min.  Any Bieber reference causes them to cringe.  But, I'm a dorky middle aged mom, so I am allowed to use outdated terminology.  Ya feel me?  Like, far out man.  Gnarly.

See what I did there.

They have new material now, though I won't try to quote any of it because I'm sure I'll mess it up, and if I ask I get heavy sighs and eye rolls.

Forgot to mention that Rocky stole the show once again.  He looks like a lot of fun!

Yeah, I see what you did there.  You're keeping it real.  As you well know, even if you used their slang perfectly, they would still sigh and roll their eyes, so don't be offended.

Yeah, Rocky is fun.  Nonstop.  But fun.

I did it!!   I finally got in on the FIRST PAGE of a TCD TR!!   ,,,,,,,,   oh.... never mind..........   ;-)

BTW, is it just me or does the calliope look kind of drab now?  It's not a bad look, I just remember it being more colorful when it was behind glass at FW.

and the "Black Hole" is a Classic!  IIRC it was Disney's first real attempt at Sci-Fi.  Didn't do too well at the box office, critics thought it was just a Star-Wars knock-off, but it had great special effects for the time, especially the V.I.N.C.E.N.T. robot, and again IIRC voiced by Roddy McDowall.  I had always hoped they would use him in a sequel.

Hey, page 47 bragging rights to you!

I think that may be a first!

Thanks for posting.  I will need to go back in to my archives now to look at the calliope photos.  I thought it looked different too.

I have read up on the Black Hole since it was mentioned here.  You are right, it was panned as a Star Wars rip-off.  And Roddy McDowell was the voice of VINCENT.  Copies of the movie are for sale for cheap, so I may take the plunge.

TCD

BTW, it's pwned not "poned". It started as an inside joke in the hacker community. Some guy took over a bunch of servers and splashed a taunt on them saying "all your servers are pwned"... He meant to say 'owned' but the unix command line doesn't have autocorrect.

Gag me with a spoon.  This trip report was totally tubular. 

I am among my people :)

Word.

BTW, it's pwned not "poned". It started as an inside joke in the hacker community. Some guy took over a bunch of servers and splashed a taunt on them saying "all your servers are pwned"... He meant to say 'owned' but the unix command line doesn't have autocorrect.

You are correct, as usual.  At least about the spelling.

As for the origin of the word, Urban Dictionary explains this in a much more colorful way. 

Which cannot be discussed here.

TCD

You are correct, as usual.  At least about the spelling.

As for the origin of the word, Urban Dictionary explains this in a much more colorful way. 

Which cannot be discussed here.

Oh, well, as long as you have it from a reliable authority! LOL

TCD,

Thanks again for the bonus report!! I was actually getting excited when you said that the twins wanted to see the Disney Fourth of July fireworks.......I figured that you would go too and we would get another trip report......bummer!

I have to say that I do gather strength every time that you write how well you are doing with the transition of having two kids gone and your third gone soon. My oldest went to college two years ago and I did pretty good with it. My youngest will be going into his last year of high school and I am absolutely DREADING the thought of him heading off to college in a year!!!

On a brighter note, we were lucky enough to be at Disney for the Fourth of July twice. In 2004 and 2006. We were able to see the July 4th, 360 degree firework display on Main Street right in the hub. We also saw it from the Polynesian Beach. Both shows were incredible, but the one from inside of the park blew us away!!!

The river that your family was on for the Holiday......are there alligators around there? Being a northern girl, that was all I could think of when I saw those photos!!!

Hope you get that next trip planned when both twins are home!!

Heidi

TCD,

Thanks again for the bonus report!! I was actually getting excited when you said that the twins wanted to see the Disney Fourth of July fireworks.......I figured that you would go too and we would get another trip report......bummer!

I have to say that I do gather strength every time that you write how well you are doing with the transition of having two kids gone and your third gone soon. My oldest went to college two years ago and I did pretty good with it. My youngest will be going into his last year of high school and I am absolutely DREADING the thought of him heading off to college in a year!!!

On a brighter note, we were lucky enough to be at Disney for the Fourth of July twice. In 2004 and 2006. We were able to see the July 4th, 360 degree firework display on Main Street right in the hub. We also saw it from the Polynesian Beach. Both shows were incredible, but the one from inside of the park blew us away!!!

The river that your family was on for the Holiday......are there alligators around there? Being a northern girl, that was all I could think of when I saw those photos!!!

Hope you get that next trip planned when both twins are home!!

Heidi

As you know from your oldest, a lot of changes happen in that senior year.  I'll bet you'll both be ready for him to go next year.

As for alligators, I've often heard that they can be found in just about any body of water in Florida.  I had never seen any in that particular river, and we have visited there for years.  But, this trip we saw three.  Not big ones, but they were gators just the same.

TCD

What a fun report!  I just got done reading it, and lots of lists of things to ask, and have totally forgotten them all.

Great job on the dorm room, and I love the shower curtain!

I can't believe they are going off to college!  Sweet TR and sweet daddy.  Good to see you guys are doing well! 

What a fun report!  I just got done reading it, and lots of lists of things to ask, and have totally forgotten them all.

Great job on the dorm room, and I love the shower curtain!

I can't believe they are going off to college!  Sweet TR and sweet daddy.  Good to see you guys are doing well! 

Thanks for reading the whole thing- glad you liked it. 

The summer has flown by.  Twin #2 is done with summer session after next week, and we will all be together again for about 10 days until Twin #1 heads off and the others follow.

This is such a great TR. Isn't is great to enjoy your girls at this stage of life. Mine are all grown up and we still love getting together like they were kids again. Wonderful pictures. I'm exhausted just reading this! :)

Thanks.

Yes, it is fun to interact with the girls as adults. I just wish we weren't going to be so spread out.

It will all work out, though.

TCD

• 2 weeks later...