BUT I see so many pop ups in RV lots all open all the time.  Does any dealer actually leave some closed?  Isn't it getting sun weathered before it ever gets bought???  Anyone have thoughts on this? 

My guess is they're easier to sell while open?? But I don't know.  My brother (the RV sales/sevice guy) HATES when pop ups come in for services.. he says he immediately starts swearing and shooing them off the property. :laugh:

(but he is being very helpful in my search despite his PUP hate... gotta love him)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the most confusing areas for anyone considering a new pop-up is the aspect of "what can I tow, and which hitch should I purchase?".  Before you go any further, get your vehicle owners manual, a

Well, if thinking used:   Purchasing a Used Pop-Up-Camper   Pricing for specific makes and models are different for different areas of the country One good source for pricing information is the NADA G

let me just say, I experienced a few sudden stop situations towing home from disney on sat. I had several drivers cut me off, one try to merge on top of me, cars screeching to a halt for an accident

We have started looking online at pop ups because we know that is the route we will go maybe next year.  I think I want a new one that hasn't been abused or weathered, but worry about more recent workmanship being not as good (as an earlier poster said plastic instead of metal).  My in-laws had one for 40 years that we would still be using had rodents not gotten into and destroyed. 

BUT I see so many pop ups in RV lots all open all the time.  Does any dealer actually leave some closed?  Isn't it getting sun weathered before it ever gets bought???  Anyone have thoughts on this? 

I do not know this but perhaps they rotate through displaying them so they don't get musty all closed up all the time. Or just consider one the display model they sell at the end of the season fr a mark down?

We have started looking online at pop ups because we know that is the route we will go maybe next year.  I think I want a new one that hasn't been abused or weathered, but worry about more recent workmanship being not as good (as an earlier poster said plastic instead of metal).  My in-laws had one for 40 years that we would still be using had rodents not gotten into and destroyed. 

Yes, the quality of the new Rockwoods leave something to be desired.  Everything is made more for looks than durability.  I have to fix little things more on the new one than the older ones.

Good to know!  I really need to look more into the hitching options.  I just wish Mr.41 would make up his mind about a TV! Are we gonna use the Odyssey, or get a truck????  It's driving me nuts! I want to go camping NOW! :laugh:

No hitch will change the TV tow capacity. I once got into a heated discussion with someone on another board about this. They even gave a reference which they thought supported their argument but it actually refuted it. All I can say is if your trailer is at or near the towing capacity for your TV, you better not put anything inside the vehicle. Not a kid or a dog or a case of beer. Nothing. Remember FWGuy's rule - just because it has been done doesn't mean it should be done.

No hitch will change the TV tow capacity. 

Well in a way it does. Trailers over a certain weight require a weight distributing hitch. My tiny trailer does not require such nonsense.

So without a weight distributing hitch I have a lower tow limit, WITH a weight distributing hitch I have a higher tow limit.

In context, this person had a WD hitch already but claimed by switching to a Hensley hitch she could increase the towing capacity of her TV by a couple thousand pounds allowing her to actually tow more than the TV listed as the max for her vehicle. She referred me to a Trailer Life annual article on towing which compared WD hitches and tongue weight with a regular hitch. It clearly said in the article that this did not increase towing capacity for the vehicle, but she couldn't understand, and I and a few other people couldn't get thru to her, the difference between the tongue weight and the vehicle towing capacity.

In context, this person had a WD hitch already but claimed by switching to a Hensley hitch she could increase the towing capacity of her TV by a couple thousand pounds allowing her to actually tow more than the TV listed as the max for her vehicle. She referred me to a Trailer Life annual article on towing which compared WD hitches and tongue weight with a regular hitch. It clearly said in the article that this did not increase towing capacity for the vehicle, but she couldn't understand, and I and a few other people couldn't get thru to her, the difference between the tongue weight and the vehicle towing capacity.

I guess my attempt at being a  :smartass:  didn't come across very well :)

Remember FWGuy's rule - just because it has been done doesn't mean it should be done.

I love this rule!!

Too many times I hear "my friends have done it", " my brother has done it" or "my _______ has done it" (fill in the blank) and it works fine.

The damage from towing over your limits can be slow or fast:

Slow- The transmission slowly tearing itself apart.

Fast- Trying to stop an overweight combination in an emergency situation.  It just might not stop!

Did she whisper to horses?

Not a kid or a dog or a case of beer.

I will avoid having to leave the beer AT ALL COSTS.

My tiny trailer does not require such nonsense.

I LOVE your little trailer!!

It clearly said in the article that this did not increase towing capacity for the vehicle, but she couldn't understand,

:thumbsup2:  I get it.  Please know that we will be as conservative as possible when we decide on a camper! (which is why I'm hoping Mr.41 decides to get a truck!)

I love the debate... I love the opinions... I love the advice... I LOVE FIENDS! 

Yes, Jennifer 41, we will be there THIS December.  Looking forward to meeting you.  Once we are there we will post our site number on this board.   Have a great week.     Judy, Ken and the 4 little Angels    (Our two foster Angels will probably be gone to their new homes by then but there will probably be 1 or 2 more ready to take their place).    :wheelchair:   :wheelchair:   :angel2-smiley:

Just gonna take this moment to thank Ken & Judy for being AMAZING people, and definite gifts from God!!  Bless you and all of your Angels!!!  :heartsmiley:

In my camper shopping world.... I was told last night we wont be ready to buy until spring. Whatta buzz kill!!   I suppose I'll be a PUP expert by then.  :rofl3:  :(

The perfect time to buy anything is when you find what you want, at a price you can afford live with and you hear those magic words "If we get it will you promise to shut up?"..  :clint:

4pm. 

The perfect time to buy anything is when you find what you want, at a price you can afford live with and you hear those magic words "If we get it will you promise to shut up?"..  :clint:

:laugh: :laugh:

Remember FWGuy's rule - just because it has been done doesn't mean it should be done.

The Odyssey lists 3500 capability.  As with any loading, care and attention to how much (and where) you put in the trailer/TV should be observed.

So some rough numbers.  The highest curb weight of a 2013 Odyssey (touring Elite) is 4613 pounds.  The GCVWR of a 2009 (only number I could find on line so we will use it for demonstration) is 8210 pounds.  So, a Jayco coming in at a dry weight of 2475 leaves you with 1122 pounds of cargo.  Cargo being defined anything not covered in the initial weights posted on the TV/Trailer.  Some research can be done to determine what is or is not listed in your curb weight, like gas in the tank.  Don't forget the hitch and the receiver.  Our friends are probably very close to or over their limits in some areas.  So FWGuy's rule really does apply.  If you happen to pack very light, the combo could work for you but a trip to the scales with something this close on paper would not be a bad idea.

This is why I sold my truck and trailer when we got back from Disney this year.  Getting a Class C next year, then all I have to worry about is not overloading it.  Much easier to manage :)

Another perspective on the overloaded TV.  My wife and I went on the look out for something that we could tow with our TV.   We found something and it was fine.  Wasn't what we wanted, but it was fine.  Well 1 year later it wasn't fine.  I lost about 3 grand on a 15000 trailer when I traded it in for the Class C.

I recommend finding what you can afford then find what you want in that price range.  At that point figure out how you can tow it.  You may find like we did that we didn't need to tow it we could afford and wanted a Motorhome.  I have talked to several people and some here have said it, even when you get what you think you want, you will trade it in for a better for you floorplan a few times before you get it right.  Unless you have willpower to keep the RV for a few years (we didn't), I would pay close attention to how much you are SETTLING to accommodate a TV.

I learned that you don't know what you don't know, keep an open mind you may find what you really want in a way that you can afford it and tow it or drive it.

Dan

I used to think my husband was nuts for worrying so much about weight and all that. For years we just borrowed my moms little 19' Jayco and pulled it with our old suburban and all was well. When it came time to purchase our own trailer we no longer had that suburban, all we had was a VW Minivan which could only tow a very light pop-up with maybe a days for of clothes and food in it. We looked at getting a class C because with 7 of us we didn't want to travel in a tiny minivan then cram ourselves into a tiny pop-up. In the end my brilliant husband decided that the minivan was too small and that I needed a new suburban. We settled on 2009 suburban and 2009 KZ 23CFK and I love it. I'm glad we went with a hybrid because it was well under our tow capacity so we don't have to stress about what everyone is bringing and it comfortably sleeps all 7 of us. 

So my advice is wait and get what you really want and what will work best for your family. Don't settle.