The TCD Gang Sails Again!: A Four Night Disney Dream Trip Report

Early morning on deck. Love it.

At Disney Pocahontas is a princess since her father was the chief.

In reality the Algonquin people pasted down there titles first to their brothers and then sisters and then to their brothers or sisters would have past it to there children. And I believe her father Powhatan (not sure if I spelled that right) was the oldest child and probably had several brothers and sisters. So she would have been skipped over.

Thank you and geek moment is over. And yes I love early American history and I refreshed my memory via the web.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True story.....Jack skipped the safety drill.  Had he gone, he would have known that there was plenty of room for him on that board next to Rose. 

Really!  I don't know how they conned us into going back to Enchanted Garden for that limited menu when we could have enjoyed one last buffet at Cabanas.  Oh well....next time. 

Those gates reminded me of something, but I couldn't place it.  And then it came to me.   

At the Animators Palate my daughter asked for pizza which wasn't on the menu. So we made her order something else but the waiter told us that if its available at another restaurant she can have it. And when our entrees came out she had pizza. I don't know if this works at the buffets but she had pizza for dinner several times on our 7 day cruise. So maybe you can have all three breakfasts at the same time and place.

Breakfast at 3 places on the same day MUST be on the next LOF. Must.

Not like there was any doubt, but your pictures are REALLY making me hope Jason picks DCL.

I'm interested to hear what you decide about the twins. I know what we would do and why...

At the Animators Palate my daughter asked for pizza which wasn't on the menu. So we made her order something else but the waiter told us that if its available at another restaurant she can have it. And when our entrees came out she had pizza. I don't know if this works at the buffets but she had pizza for dinner several times on our 7 day cruise. So maybe you can have all three breakfasts at the same time and place.

Since there are many CM from the Phillipines I was teasing about a dish that I used to get while stationed at Cubi Point/ Subic Bay that I loved called Pansit. Guess what they brought to our table while on the Fiends Dream cruise and we had enough to share with anybody in the group who wanted to try it. DCL will cook just about anything you want, on the menu or not.

Since there are many CM from the Phillipines I was teasing about a dish that I used to get while stationed at Cubi Point/ Subic Bay that I loved called Pansit. Guess what they brought to our table while on the Fiends Dream cruise and we had enough to share with anybody in the group who wanted to try it. DCL will cook just about anything you want, on the menu or not.

Pansit is delicious. I had an aunt (uncle and her are no longer married to each other) who is Filipino who would make it.

Really temps me to want to take a cruise.

TCD really needs to get a commission on bookings after reading his trip reports. It was just a little over a year ago that I read his cruise trip report and came up with the idea of celebrating DH and my 25th anniv./50th birthdays with a cruise (with DSs). Once I saw what it was about through his pictures and descriptions I really really really wanted to do one. Took a bit of DH convincing and a good rate (week after Thanksgiving = lower prices + fewer people) and we had a fantastic time. Funniest part was at the sailing away party when DH looked around and asked "how did all these people even think about the idea of going on a cruise?". 

Thanks, Dave.

I never have thought about eating lunch in one of the dining rooms.  In fact, I've never even eaten lunch in Cabanas (except for the first day buffet).  We always have a big breakfast, and if we're on the ship, we will be sitting out on one of the decks by the pools.  I enjoy just getting pizza, a burger, a Panini, or whatever from the quick serve locations on the pool deck.

This is a very good point. Your portions are controlled more lol. When we did Carnival 6 years ago sit down lunch (when offered) was way less crowded than the buffet. I think sit down is something everyone should try at least once.

Controlled portions?  Good point.  But, I don't want to take the time to eat a sit down meal.  That's how I roll.  But, I certainly understand how nice it would be to sit and be waited on.

I can say that we had the sit down lunch in the Royal Palace. I have pictures and menus. 

P.S. yes I know get back to work on my TR

Great.  I will look forward to hearing about this and looking at your photos.

That's a great thing about trip reports.  Whether at the Fort or on a cruise, everyone does things a bit differently.  I always find it interesting to see how other people do things, and sometimes I get a good idea.

Early morning on deck. Love it.

At Disney Pocahontas is a princess since her father was the chief.

In reality the Algonquin people pasted down there titles first to their brothers and then sisters and then to their brothers or sisters would have past it to there children. And I believe her father Powhatan (not sure if I spelled that right) was the oldest child and probably had several brothers and sisters. So she would have been skipped over.

Thank you and geek moment is over. And yes I love early American history and I refreshed my memory via the web.

Thanks for the Pocahontas lesson.  That is an underappreciated Disney movie.

My understanding is that some or all of the dining rooms share common kitchens.  So, it is possible for a server to snag something that is on the menu at one of the other restaurants.  There was a dessert that one of my girls liked on one cruise, and the server brought it to her every night.  They really go out of their way to please the guests.

Breakfast at 3 places on the same day MUST be on the next LOF. Must.

Not like there was any doubt, but your pictures are REALLY making me hope Jason picks DCL.

I'm interested to hear what you decide about the twins. I know what we would do and why...

I'm not sure three breakfasts would be all that fun in practice.  Sounds good on paper, though.

I assume the decision you're referring to is Twin #1's request to have a drink.  I would be interested in hearing how other parents would handle this.  I'll be getting to how I did soon, but not in the next update.  I think it will be in the one after that.

Cool story.  I never heard of Pansit.  So I had to Google it.  It looks pretty good.  I wonder why you don't see Pilipino restaurants around?

I'll have the reuben and the soaked rum cake, please. 

I'd rather have a burger or bratwurst from Flo's on deck 11.

Me too, except I want my Rueben with steak fries, not chips. ;)

Steak fries pone chips any day.

Pansit is delicious. I had an aunt (uncle and her are no longer married to each other) who is Filipino who would make it.

I wonder where I can find me some pansit?

TCD

I want a steak sandwich at midnight. It's 11:49 right now. I need to be on a cruise.

Well, if you had been on a DCL ship, you could have picked up the phone at 11:49, and had that steak sandwich by midnight or thereabouts.  You do need to be on a cruise.

Really temps me to want to take a cruise.

Well, do it!

TCD really needs to get a commission on bookings after reading his trip reports. It was just a little over a year ago that I read his cruise trip report and came up with the idea of celebrating DH and my 25th anniv./50th birthdays with a cruise (with DSs). Once I saw what it was about through his pictures and descriptions I really really really wanted to do one. Took a bit of DH convincing and a good rate (week after Thanksgiving = lower prices + fewer people) and we had a fantastic time. Funniest part was at the sailing away party when DH looked around and asked "how did all these people even think about the idea of going on a cruise?". 

I think I should get a commission too.  Better yet, DCL should comp my a cruise once a year or so, and I'll write a glowing TR.  That would be a win/win.

Glad to hear you got to cruise!  And Happy Anniversary, and Happy Birthday!

What ship did you sail on?

Good work.

I've never heard of this place, but it's right down the road.  Of course, the new Wa Wa is in Pinellas Park, too, so I'm not sure I can go for the pansit instead of a hoagie.

TCD

Why not both? 

It's like breakfast on the ship....why do you have to choose one or the other? 

You are a real genius when it comes to food.

Why not?

I can have them wrap the hoagie for later.

I am going to try to hit that pansit place before this TR ends.  Then, I can add a dining review to the bonus material.

TCD

Sorry for no update yesterday.

In case you didn't hear, there was an impromptu visit to WDW by TCD and the twins yesterday.  So, there will be some bonus material if and when we get to the end of this report.

But, I'm back, so let's get to it.

We left off with my early morning wanderings around the ship on Monday morning.  Even though this cruise was very full of passengers, I got to enjoy the feeling of having the ship to myself.

We were still sailing toward our first port- Nassau.

For now, though, we were still at sea.

The first night was the smoothest sailing we've ever had.  Ever.  Not just on DCL.  Ever.  That first night can be a tough one.  All of our cruises have originated from ports on the east coast of Florida, which means that they've all involved a crossing of the Gulf Stream.  Crossing the Gulf Stream can bring some rough riding.  There was one memorable cruise where everyone at our table for that first dinner, and almost everyone in the dining room, left before finishing because of sea sickness.  Only Twin #1 and I made it through the meal, and when we left the odor of vomit permeated the halls.  It was hard to walk back to our cabin, as the ship was pitching so much.  When we got back to the cabin, the doors on the closet were sliding back and forth from the movement, and the ship was creaking and groaning so much that it worried me.  Not so on this trip.  In fact, when I had left the cabin that morning, Mrs. TCD, who was still resting in bed, asked me if we were already docked in Nassau, because it didn't even feel like we were moving.

I have a few more photos I took before heading below to wake the girls for breakfast.  This is from the aft of the ship, looking forward.  That big tube you see there is the Aqua Duck wrapping around the rear smoke stack:

DCL2013173_zpsb6251625.jpg

Land Ho! 

In this next photo, you can see the island of Nassau there in the distance.  The buildings you see on the far left are the Atlantis Resort.  We will get a closer look at that later:

DCL2013174_zps84cda1d5.jpg

Hey, in that last photo, do the clouds in the top right corner form a Hidden Mickey?:

Another look at Nassau.  One thing that amazes me when you see these islands in the Bahamas from the sea, is how low they sit to the level of the ocean.  They barely protrude.  I can't imagine being on one of those islands as a giant hurricane heads your way:

DCL2013177_zps67f17ab4.jpg

I walked up to the bow for a look.  Look down there at the stuff on that lower deck on the bow of the ship.  That is the outdoor area for the teen club on the ship.  The thing is, I have never seen any teen out there enjoying it.  I think they should open it up to everyone.  There are hot tubs and lounge chairs down there.  If they put in a bar, I'd go:

DCL2013178_zpsce52b3ee.jpg

Nassau from the bow of the ship:

DCL2013179_zps2eefe35a.jpg

I noticed a couple of new buildings under construction over on a section of the island that I've never been to.  You can't make it out from the photo, but there were big cranes there, just like the ones towering over the Fort Wilderness Parking Lot:

DCL2013180_zpseb8953f1.jpg

I headed down to our cabins after this.  The girls did not want to sleep in, and asked me to wake them so they would have time to go see the Princess gathering at 9 am.

I got to watch Nassau grow bigger and bigger through my porthole:

DCL2013183_zps293eaaa6.jpg

DCL2013184_zpsf67399f0.jpg

I think you can see the cranes now:

DCL2013185_zps0169dd30.jpg

Before long, we were pulling in to our slip in Nassau.  Usually, I like to be up top to watch this, but today, I had to watch from the porthole, as the girls were almost ready to go.  The neat thing is that as we approached the slip, we could see the shopping district of Nassau, but then, once in the harbor, the captain does a 180 degree turn, and we back into the slip, which gives us a view of what's on the other side.  Here we are entering the harbor:

DCL2013186_zpsd7162c47.jpg

You can see that new construction I mentioned off in the distance.  These are big buildings.  It must be some new resort.  But I don't know anything about it:

DCL2013187_zps99027c4e.jpg

This shot is from right before we turned around to back in.  The big building you see along the water is a hotel- I believe it's a Hilton- they sell day passes for it for those who want to be able to walk to a beach and pool.  The little yellow awning you see to the left of the big hotel is Senor Frogs- the watering hole where Twin #1 wanted to go:

DCL2013188_zps1e5f402e.jpg

At this point, the girls were ready to go, so we bolted up the one flight of stairs we needed to go to reach the atrium, and they joined a very long, slow moving line to meat the princesses.  Even though the line was long and slow moving, we knew that it would take 30 minutes or less, and they would get to meet five princesses.  You can't do that at WDW.  Plus, they have random characters walk up and down the lines to meet guests.  This morning, it was Peter Pan.  If we had only known, the girls could have prepared some dragon sketches:

IMG_5452_zps60b46c68.jpg

IMG_5454_zpsac8adb33.jpg

Peter putting on a gun show.  LOL.  DIT-do not look in the background of this photo:

IMG_5456_zps4ecd2818.jpg

Eat your heart out, Big Wendy:

IMG_5457_zpsf922842a.jpg

There was some really interesting stuff to see here.  Like over-achiever moms in overdrive.  I didn't want to be creepy and take photos of other people's kids, so I don't have a lot of photos of what we saw to share.  But, it is a thing to have your daughter dress in a princess dress.  You can see a little Belle and a little Tink here.  Cute:

IMG_5459_zps87e234ff.jpg

The overachiever part is that there was one mom who had a baby, and she changed the kid's outfit before every photo to match the princess.  Every photo.  Five outfits.  I'm not kidding.  Wow.

As you can see, the TCD girls didn't wear their princess dresses.  In fact, they had basically rolled out of bed and headed here.  They probably would rather I not post these photos, but I must, or our report would not be complete.

So, here are the princesses-

Cinderella:

IMG_5463_zpsf269ae6e.jpg

Tiana.  Very sassy, and fun:

IMG_5466_zps36d1c637.jpg

IMG_5468_zps8dbff082.jpg

Yes, Twin #1 is wearing an Auburn shirt.  Extra credit.  Especially since she's a Gator.  It was a gift from her sister.

Belle:

IMG_5471_zps12dc0b22.jpg

IMG_5473_zpsfac83493.jpg

Aurora/Briar Rose/Sleeping Beauty, or whatever she calls herself:

IMG_5478_zps0309dd66.jpg

La Sirenita:

IMG_5483_zpsa5b8f48a.jpg

IMG_5484_zps6365d924.jpg

Last was Ms. White.  She told the girls a bitter story about a man she met last year on the Dream.  Dave something or other.  They have a stormy relationship.  She thought they had patched things up, but was devastated to later learn that Dave still holds a grudge.  She gave the girls a nice apple to give to Dave.  I still have it in my fridge.  I need to ship it to him:

IMG_5489_zps31ef3541.jpg

IMG_5490_zps62905f65.jpg

IMG_5498_zps889fc708.jpg

Snow White was the last princess.

Then we went to Cabanas for breakfast.

There, we planned our day.

You'll find out how we spent it in the next update.

TCD

Z would not have been pleased with that Ariel. He'd know something was up for sure. I think Pan was hitting on the twins. Are you sure there were no dragon sketches in their pockets? You better hope Big Wendy did not see that. PS- Any update on Big Wendy? Or did she quit DW when Peter and real Wendy started greeting together?

All of those princesses are different than they were last year when we went.  BUT...I think that is the same damn Pan. 

DSCN0244.JPG

Did he/she scream as he/she ran across the lobby? 

That is one flamboyant little boy. 

I am particularly disappointed that Ms White is different.  The one I met last year was a sweetheart.  You likely remember this....

DSCN0261.JPG

She would be hard to hold a grudge against.  But the apple muncher on your cruise looks shady.  I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her.  Although it would be fun to find out just how far that is. 

Ok, are you deliberately trying to tick Lou off? :rofl3: The Mickey heads on the white poles are not exactly "hidden" Mickeys. Lou would call them "deliberate" Mickeys. I was wondering if you were trying to infuriate him so much he would break down and admit to reading your TR.  :rofl2:

Z would not have been pleased with that Ariel. He'd know something was up for sure. I think Pan was hitting on the twins. Are you sure there were no dragon sketches in their pockets? You better hope Big Wendy did not see that. PS- Any update on Big Wendy? Or did she quit DW when Peter and real Wendy started greeting together?

That Ariel was not from this land.  She was a beautiful lady, and the girls said she was really nice and in character, but sorry, she doesn't look like Ariel.  At all. I always am stumped where they get these ladies from.  They only show up a few times during the cruise, so they must have other jobs on the ship.  You would think they are performers in the shows, but aside from Tiana, who also played Tiana in one of the shows, the princesses in the shows were different. 

We haven't seen Big Wendy in a while.  We are pretty sure she was there on the college program, and she must have gone back to wherever she came from.

The girls were telling me just yesterday that Peter Pan has a new meet and greet area.  Where is it?  They didn't know.

I was surprised how the characters just wandered around the ship when we went on the Dream. Rode the elevator with Peter Pan once and asked him why didn't he just fly down the stairway, claimed he was tired.

Wow.  Who know Peter Pan was that lazy?

Speaking of wandering characters, we met a rare character that way.  But that comes later in the report.

I'm torn whether to beg for an extra update today to make up for there not being one yesterday, or to just be content knowing there will be a bonus on the end of a mini-tr on the one day trip to WDW.

I'm going to try to give you that second update today, Marty.

I think there will be plenty of bonus features at the end, too.

All of those princesses are different than they were last year when we went.  BUT...I think that is the same damn Pan. 

DSCN0244.JPG

Did he/she scream as he/she ran across the lobby? 

That is one flamboyant little boy. 

I am particularly disappointed that Ms White is different.  The one I met last year was a sweetheart.  You likely remember this....

DSCN0261.JPG

She would be hard to hold a grudge against.  But the apple muncher on your cruise looks shady.  I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her.  Although it would be fun to find out just how far that is. 

Nope, that is not the same Peter.  Ours wasn't flamboyant at all, which is rare.  This one was definitely male, and decidedly less creepy than I've seen on previous occasion.

What do you mean that's not the same apple muncher?  Yes it is.  She looks different because she has a broken heart.  I hope you're happy.

Ok, are you deliberately trying to tick Lou off? :rofl3: The Mickey heads on the white poles are not exactly "hidden" Mickeys. Lou would call them "deliberate" Mickeys. I was wondering if you were trying to infuriate him so much he would break down and admit to reading your TR.  :rofl2:

Yes.  Guilty as charged.  It's too easy.  So far, he hasn't taken the bait.

I'm interested in seeing how you handles Señor Frogs. I think I know what I would do, but my kid is 4.5 so it's easier to say what I wouldn't or wouldn't do when I have a long time to worry about it.

You will find out about Senor Frogs in the next update. I think it would be easy to say no to a 4 1/2 year old, and I'm not sure that they would serve him.  But, you never know with that place.

Big Wendy is definitely going to be jealous when she reads this TR.

Yeah.  It would be bad if she was on the same ship with Peter.  He'd probably have to fly away.

TCD