Newcomer intro with a question..of course!

Hi all.

We have been visiting WDW since the late 70's, and FW since the mid 90s, but new to this site.  Lots of great info, and I am enjoying all the news and fun!

Just was able to get some of the nites we want booked in Jan.  I was too late in booking, so have had to grab days when they come open (I assume due to cancellations...as the song goes: for every dream that's shattered another one comes true!) and have managed to get all but one day of what we wanted.  That day of course is the day we planned to arrive, Sat Jan  25, 2014. 

So, all you purveyors of wisdom and experience, can we arrive Sunday morning early, park somewhere and go to the Magic Kingdom for the day, then return and check-in/set up/etc.? 

Also, any good places nearby to spend an overnight Saturday if I don't get that Saturday arrival date at the Fort by then?

We will be coming down I-75 from KY, so north or west would be good.  and Walmart parking lot will work in a pinch! :)

As for us, DW, myself, our youngest daughter (16) and one grandson (7).  We try to take a different G'kid each trip, and this is his first time to WDW. 

'05 Suburban pulling a 22' Terry.

Mtnmanky, first of all:

Welcomepic_28.gif

You are just down the road from us.  Had an Aunt & Uncle who lived just N of Crittenden. Hope we get to meet you as we arrive on Jan 6th and will hopefully be in the 400 loop.

As was mentioned I would definitely get in touch with one of the TA they have been known to have some extra "pixie dust" in their pockets to come up with days that people need.  As to a Wal-Mart parking lot that is a no-no in many areas of FL especially around WDW.. There is a KOA in Wildwood, the exit above the Turnpike that is reasonable and has new owners who are making great improvements. That will put you a little over an hr away, and it is one of our stops if we get there early. (last time I looked rates were under $30)

The best thing to do when you arrive is check-in and if your site is not ready then park in the over-flow and head to the park. You may get lucky and it will be ready early.

:welcome: Hope you have a terrific trip!

I might be wrong but I think FL is one of those states that doesn't allow overnight parking so walmart wouldn't be an option. You could possibly find a decent off property motel in the area for an overnight though close in price to a Saturday night at the fort. We most always park in the overflow lot at some point during a trip. If you have to stay somewhere else, you could probably even unhitch and leave the rv in overflow Saturday for next day check-in as long as you get a parking pass from the front desk.

Thanks!

All good info and ideas.

Will check with one of the TA on the sponsor list.

Grumpy, you have my hero's name...I am looking at my favorite mug on my desk at work right now... green with that frowning visage and "Hasn't smiled since 1937"!

We lived closer to you for awhile...20 years in Ft Thomas, but moved to the "farm" (all 8 acres) 4 years ago to be closer to my work in Lex.

before that, Arkansas, Mississippi, Idaho, Illinois..we have been around!  I was raised in OR, CA and WY, and still have to go west for a mountain fix every few years!

You can camp at Walmart in parts of Florida. Some places don't allow it and some do. Check with manager.

True - I understand it's country ordinances, not state.  The ones we've pulled into around the WDW area all have lots of signs, but definitely check with the manager if it's not clearly marked just in case.

If you're at the Fort on the day of your reservation, just go ahead and check-in and they'll give you a parking pass and direct you to the overflow lot.  Once you're checked in you can park there and head out to play if you want.

True - I understand it's country ordinances, not state.  The ones we've pulled into around the WDW area all have lots of signs, but definitely check with the manager if it's not clearly marked just in case.

According to  the list on Allstays there is no parking in the immediate WDW area.     http://www.allstays.com/c/walmart-florida-locations.htm

I would hate to see anybody get that close and then have no where to stay.

Chances are using a TA you will get your dates but if you don't, you can try Theme World RV park , where we live.  It is at exit 55 on  I4.  7 miles west of the Disney exit.  Reasonably priced and a nice park.  Mostly snowbirds, but not age limited.  It's next to the Summit KOA.  Good luck and :insanity:

Thanks to all for the welcome, the suggestions and information. Glad to be here!

I sent an email to Fiesty's Fun Time Travel, so maybe they can help.  If not, we will just pick a camp ground on the way and plan to arrive at the Fort early on Sunday...it's all good either way.  It will be Florida and WDW in January with no snow, no ice, no chores, no work.  Gotta love it!