• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two pics from Fantasyland this morning. The first is on the bridge leading to the new restaurant (not yet open but you can peak inside) and the second is from the Arielle clamshell ride.

The next batch of attractions is scheduled to open by the end of the year. They are the princess laden "Enchanted Forest", which will include the "Under the Sea, Voyage of the Little Mermaid" ride

And that's the way it should stay!!!

From DaMouse. Follow the link for lots more photos...

Dumbo the Flying Elephant’s Flaw Leads To Scraped Vehicles

Posted by Raphael De Varona on June 26, 2012 in Magic Kingdom, Theme Parks | One comment

DSC09345.jpg

Dumbo the Flying Elephant’s rebirth in Storybook Circus at the Magic Kingdom received tons of praise by many, our own review included, as a grand advancement of a classic Disney attraction with new elements that make for a pristine and joyful experience. Of course every Storybook ending seems not to arrive without some adversity first and it seems Dumbo the Flying Elephant is beginning to experience just that. The attraction that recently reopened to show off a beautifully ornate carousel now has large scrapes and gashes developing on the Dumbo ride vehicles. It appears the clearances for the ride vehicles are too small between the perimeter of the new water pool walls and the hind legs of the fiberglass Dumbos. The result is that after a month of operation Dumbo the Flying Elephant began to show clear signs of a slowly accruing problem.

Of course this type of occurrence leads one often to more questions than concrete answers though we will be reaching out to Disney for comment soon. I can tell you that I have ridden the attraction several times since I first noticed these scrapes in mid-May and never noticed anything out of sort. This seems to be a largely cosmetic issue and not something to raise safety alarms though we will certainly keep an eye on this situation and report anything we learn.

The next question that undoubtedly comes to mind, is did Disney notice the problems in time to make changes to the second Dumbo carousel’s water pool to avoid the same issues? Another point we hope to get answered by Disney soon and that without a doubt time shall tell.

As you can see there is still much to know about what is going on at Dumbo the Flying Elephant which has the potential to partially tarnish what has until now been an incredible reopening of one of Magic Kingdom’s most endearing attractions. We hope that in the end Disney can resolve these matters and that Dumbo the Flying Elephant indeed has its storybook ending that it deserves. DSC09322-600x398.jpg The new Dumbo the Flying Elephant is charming and beautiful… DSC09324-600x398.jpg …sadly there is something that is beginning to take away from that. Slowly but surely large scrapes have formed on the outer edges of the new Dumbo Ride vehicles’ left hind legs. DSC09327-600x263.jpg The scrapes in the fiberglass vehicles have already created small tears on the Dumbo vehicles. This is largely a cosmetic issue but it does look bad especially on a ride that had just reopened and probably wouldn’t have needed a refurbishment in the near future. It is hard to tell whether those white marks on the outer portion of the pool’s wall are from water residue or signs of where Dumbo’s ride vehicles may be scraping the outer wall. DSC09334-600x398.jpg As you can see the ride vehicles have little clearance with the pool walls. This was surely intended to make it easier and safer for guests boarding the vehicles. DSC09338-600x398.jpg In character but causing problems for the attraction seems to be the fact that the hind legs appear to protrude slightly further out then the front legs of the Dumbo ride vehicle. DSC09340-600x398.jpg Most guests would normally not notice something like this but it is very visible when waiting in line for your turn to take flight. Disney has done a great job with Dumbo the Flying Elephant and everything looks perfect and that only helps to make this stand out like a soar thumb. DSC09348-600x398.jpg Hopefully Disney can both create a short-term and long-term solution to this situation because in both cases this doesn’t look good.

http://damouse.com/2012/06/26/dumbo-the-flying-elephants-flaw-leads-to-scraped-vehicles/

Some new construction notes from MousePlanet...

• Magic Kingdom Storybook Circus – Phase III (tents) D-Zone.
  • Magic Kingdom Storybook Circus – Phase III (tents) merchandise.
  • Magic Kingdom Storybook Circus – Phase III (tents) Meet & Greet.
  • Magic Kingdom Storybook Circus – hot dog kiosk.
  • Magic Kingdom Storybook Circus – popcorn kiosk.
  • Magic Kingdom Storybook Circus – pretzel kiosk.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/10047/Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Update

From the Disney Parks blog...

All in the Details: A Castle Fit for a…Mermaid in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on July 10th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

When I think about the New Fantasyland expansion, what gets me most excited is that Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is adding two Disney castles to the park – Beast’s Castle, which houses Be Our Guest Restaurant, and the one pictured below, Prince Eric’s Castle, which tops off the Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid attraction.

cfm189036.jpg

While we’ve showcased pieces of this castle in previous posts, here’s the first complete look at Prince Eric’s abode. I have to say when I first saw the rendering for this attraction, I had no idea it would possibly turn out to be this amazing!

cfm934067LARGE.jpg

Just like Beast’s Castle, Prince Eric’s Castle uses the forced perspective technique for which WDI is famous to make the structure appear much larger in size than it is in reality.

Forced perspective, which has been used since Walt Disney oversaw the construction of Disneyland park in the 1950s, is sort of an optical illusion that uses architectural scale to “trick” the eye into believing a building towers above you, when it’s really not as tall as you’d think.

So I have to ask, which of these new castles do you prefer – Beast’s Castle or Prince Eric’s? (Visit this post for a look at Beast’s). I have my favorite. Share yours in the “comments” section below!

Read more posts in the “All in the Details” series from Walt Disney Imagineering:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/07/all-in-the-details-a-castle-fit-for-a-mermaid-in-new-fantasyland-at-magic-kingdom-park/

From the Orlando Sentinel...

New Fantasyland costumes: It takes a village

By Dewayne Bevil, Orlando Sentinel

3:39 p.m. EDT, July 11, 2012

Disney World officials previewed more cast-member costumes that will be worn in new areas of Fantasyland, which is in the midst of the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history.

Click here to see photos of new Fantasyland cast-member costumes

New attractions mean new stories for Disney to tell, says Eric Jacobson, senior vice president for creative of Walt Disney Imagineering.

"As we look at these new stories and environments we want to make sure that the costumes themselves tell the story and complete the picture with our cast members," he says.

Costumes, modeled on mannequins at the theme park on Wednesday, had a "villager" feel to them, with earth tones, blousy sleeves, tunics and knee-length pants. Some had more regal looks — this is princess territory, remember — with elaborate fabrics and hats.

Disney costume designers and Imagineers researched the time periods from "Beauty and the Beast" and"The Little Mermaid,"two films that are featured in the Fantasyland expansion, Jacobson says.

The overall look must be balanced with the practicality of real-life work shifts.

"These cast members aren't always in one location so we wanted to do something that felt like the village folk who live in Fantasyland," Jacobson says. "That's their home. They're home in the time period, in the story we're telling and in the location they're at."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-world-fantasyland-costumes-20120711,0,932492.story

From the Disney Food Blog...

Portraits and Costumes at Be Our Guest Restaurant & Gaston’s Tavern in New Fantasyland

Jul 17th, 2012 by AJ.

A few new details popped up today from the most eagerly anticipated restaurants on the Disney World docket right now — Be Our Guest Restaurant and Gaston’s Tavern in Magic Kingdom’s New Fantasyland.

Be Our Guest Restaurant

This counter-service/table-service hybrid will be opening in time for the holidays in late 2012. Serving a menu of new twists on French classics, the restaurant will be situated at the base of Beast’s Castle in the Beauty and the Beast section of the New Fantasyland.

While dining in the three gorgeous dining rooms (the Library, the West Wing, and the Ballroom), guests will be enchanted with original artwork and theme elements like this incredible portrait of the Beast himself.

Beast-Portrait-Be-Our-Guest-Restaurant.jpg

Portrait of The Beast at Be Our Guest Restaurant

Pretty, eh? In fact, it’s kind of beautiful. The first thing that strikes the onlooker is the focus on the Beast’s human eyes, foreshadowing the mystery of the story. Very cool, Imagineers, very cool.

Add this to the other incredible details in the restaurant and you’ve got a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach. See more details of decor and other information here:

New Be Our Guest Restaurant Pictures from Disney World

News! Be Our Guest Restaurant Menu and Reservations Update in Fantasyland

Be Our Guest Restaurant Video — Another Look INSIDE!

Sneak Peek! Disney’s Be Our Guest Restaurant Ballroom!

Be Our Guest Restaurant to Open By The Holiday Season in Disney World

Disney World’s “Be Our Guest Restaurant” to Open in Late 2012

Gaston’s Tavern

Not much has been said about this counter-service spot, also in the Beauty and the Beast area of the New Fantasyland.

Gastons-tavern.jpg

Gaston's Tavern Concept Art

Gaston.jpg

Gaston's Tavern Model

But we have recently caught a glimpse of the portrait you can see hanging above the fireplace in that concept art photo above! Here’s Gaston looking resplendent, as he will in the restaurant itself…

Gaston-Portrait-427x625.jpg

Gaston Portrait Above the Fireplace in Gaston's Tavern

What I find fun is that the costumes for cast members working in Gaston’s Tavern will look very similar!

Gastons-Tavern-Costumes-600x381.jpg

Gaston's Tavern Costumes

You’ll be served by woodsmen (and woodswomen?) like Gaston himself! Of course, nobody will be quite as perfect… icon_wink.gif

We’re eagerly awaiting more news about these new restaurants! Let us know which restaurant YOU can’t wait to visit!

Portrait photo source Disney Parks Blog

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/07/17/portraits-and-costumes-at-be-our-guest-restaurant-gastons-tavern-in-new-fantasyland/

I know! Although, I do respect management actually sticking with one bit of Walt's legacy. Selling alcohol in the MK would obviously be a huge money maker for them, but they haven't budged (to date).

And that's the way it should stay!!!

From WDW News Today. Follow the link at the end for more photos...

An Aerial View of New Fantasyland Construction – July 2012

Jul 18, 2012

by wdwntadmin

Scott Keating was once again nice enough to provide some aerial shots of the current New Fantasyland construction site after a few month absence, so let’s see all that has changed:

i-W6v4Fg5-800x533.jpg

As you can see, everything but the Mine Train is nearing completion

i-vHz6rFF-800x534.jpg

If there was any doubts that the Skyway Station was going to become a Tangled meet-and-greet, the appearance of a tower frame has just about confirmed it…

i-rPFcwDz-800x534.jpg

The castle walls are taking shape

i-hjsv3ck-800x533.jpg

Just the three tent-like structures left to go in Storybook Circus, we expect these to open in the Fall/Winter

i-cjJZNLM-800x533.jpg

As you can see, the beauty and the Beast realm is almost complete as paths and trees are already installed and all scaffolding is down. Trees are up in the Mermaid queue as well.

i-2qwHXXk-800x533.jpg

The concept art we say in 2009 is finally coming to life… Stay tuned…

http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/9648

I like this view because it clearly shows how the tunnel entrance is at ground level and that the MK is up one level.

A nice feature is that it looks like the expansion portion will not be held hostage to having to receive supplies via the tunnel system and will be able receive them by the more conventional method of a perimeter road

Tunnels.jpg

From the Disney Parks blog...

All in the Details: Finding the Enchanted Rose at Be Our Guest Restaurant at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on July 24th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Any fan of “Beauty and The Beast” knows that the Enchanted Rose is central to Belle and Beast’s love story. This rose, and the petals that fall from it, serve as the “countdown clock” for Beast to meet his deadline of finding and accepting true love in his life – or risk remaining a beast for eternity.

Thanks to our friends at Walt Disney Imagineering, we have several photos to share this week that show just how the Enchanted Rose will play a central part in the theming of the Be Our Guest Restaurant, coming soon to New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park.

fer708923.jpg

Gallery

All in the Details: Finding the Enchanted Rose at Be Our Guest Restaurant at Magic Kingdom Park

• fer107365-100x100.jpg
  • fer801655-100x100.jpg
  • fer803167-100x100.jpg
  • fer128965-100x100.jpg
  • fer981725-100x100.jpg
  • fer084366-100x100.jpg

The rose is represented in both beautiful mosaics and light fixtures that are sure to catch diners’ attention, as well as in some of the restaurant’s more subtle details, with roses etched in wooden accents and sculpted into stone columns and trim.

Speaking of Be Our Guest Restaurant, who plans on making reservations when they become available in late August? When do you want to dine?

Check out more posts in the “All in the Details” series from Walt Disney Imagineering:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/07/all-in-the-details-finding-the-enchanted-rose-at-be-our-guest-restaurant-at-magic-kingdom-park/

Lou, you are making me sad.....I like to think that all the things being created at the World are by Disney folks. I can pretend can't I? I even think you are a softie......and everyone knows that is not true. :jumpforjoy :banana: :purpleflam: