Best time in summer to go to WDW?

Hi, I'm a newbie and we are planning on camping at the Fort summer of 2014.  Originally we were thinking of week of July 4th, but concerned about the crowds.  We know that some waterparks here in Texas are actually less crowded on the holidays, because people avoid them because of the assumption that they will be crowded.  Is WDW the same?   We have flexibility in our schedule and I know that summer is the busiest time to go, but no choice with one still in high school.  Any suggestions?  We will probably stay for at least a week.  Also, since we are in a pop-up we most likely will be staying in the partial sites.  I am so thankful for your group.  This is a wonderful site with loads of information, thank you so much for putting this together and for helping those of us that really are clueless to all that can be done and how to do it.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

We like to go the week immediately after Memorial Day weekend. A lot of kids are still in school so its not as crowded and the its still not to hot, but still shorts and t-shirt weather. I've never been on the 4th of July but someone will be along shortly to tell you about their experiences on or about the 4th. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. There is great group of folks here that will shot straight with you and give you correct info and great advice. And we all love talking about the Fort and Disneyworld. Again welcome and jump right into the madness.

Welcome!

If you're trying to avoid crowds, stay far away from WDW the week of July 4th. It's fun and there are tons of special things happening, but it's horrible for park touring. I've done it a few times. This year was awful. Just waiting for the parade was a test of patience that week.

I agree that early June always seems less busy, but I also think that about late august. Otherwise, go when is convenient and get to the parks at rope drop. Plan your day by doing the big attractions early and you'll be fine. Don't forget a day, or 3, just to explore and relax at the Fort!

Welcome! We're glad you found us! 

It's HOT in the summer, really really HOT. It is generally very crowded too. That being said, the end part of August usually has lower rates. I would not plan to try to see and do all. Plan to do as much as you can in the early morning and late at night. We were there last 4th of July. The title of my trip report is "Hot as Hades at the Fort on the Fourth!"

First off.....WELCOME!!!!  Glad you found us. 

Secondly, I will have to state first off that I have never been to the Fort in the summer.  We are usually Thanksgiving or Christmas time people.  But we did spend a week at Wilderness Lodge once the last week of May. 

I agree with the others....if your schools let out before Memorial Day like many in the South, try to go the first full week AFTER Memorial Day week.  Northern schools will still be in session.  Also like Brent said, if you are (or can pretend to be) morning people, get to the parks for rope drop.  You'll be amazed at what you get done the first 2 hours before all the stragglers start showing up.  Then around lunch time or shortly after, head back to the Fort to spend your afternoon swimming or resting, and then head back to a park for the evening. 

Welcome, just like everyone has said the 4th of July week is crowded, and that's when we are also planning a Fort trip so come and join the MADNESS, yes the crowds are high and yes it's HOT, but the last time we did the 4th it was hotter at home then Florida. It is not for everyone but neither is New Years and we will be there for that this year also so we are used to the crowds. You were given great ideas if you do come then so stick with those plans and you should be fine.

I've been during 4th of July week many times.  In fact, there may be a trip report or two floating around the internet that you might enjoy reading for more detailed information.

Yes, it's crowded around the 4th.  Yes it's hot.  But, the parks are open longer, and there are many special things to do.  The nice thing about Fort Wilderness is that even when it is completely full, your campsite will be your private haven away from the craziness surrounding you.  The 4th of July golf cart parade and the special 4th of July fireworks make a visit during the craziness totally worth it.

TCD

We haven't been to the parks in years in the summer.  The last FL Resident Pass we had blacked out the summer.  That's so all of the crazy northerners can come down, get heat stroke and pump lots of money into the local medical communities getting treated for passing out and 3rd degree sunburns! 

That being said, welcome and come on down!

It will be very hot that time of year, and very crowded... not just at WDW, but any attraction and any place that has fireworks, a beach, or a lake.

Be prepared for rain also.

Did I mention it's going to be hot?

We just started camping again, and are currently using a tent.  We stayed at the Fort for a weekend in August, and a weekend in September.  It was hot but doable.  It rained both times also.

If you don't have AC in the pop up, make sure you bring a couple of fans, and some sort of awnings/tarps, so you can sleep with the widows open and keep the rain out.

Spring break and summer vacation times are different in FL than anywhere else in the country, so it's hard to predict when it'll be crowded at the beginning and end of summer, but the end of June to the beginning of August is vacation times for all schools it seems.

Just prepare yourself, and don't try to do to much any given day, because of the crowds, heat, and rain.

Hi iluv2cook;

Welcome.  If your from Texas you are already familiar with summer heat but not the rain.  You can set your watch by the thunderstorms at 3:30 in the afternoon.  I've camped in several pop ups and liked it but you will need to bring tarps, rope and maybe a canopy or two to stay dry.  Bring panchos, hats and a back pack to carry stuff like water, snacks and sun screen and you will be well prepared.  You don't want to be wasting your time standing in line to buy something you could have brought with you.  DaveinTN layed out a good plan of attack.  The only thing I would add is to get to the back of the park fast and work your way forward getting on the most popular rides first. 

Ya'll are too funny.  Thanks for all the advice.  Being from Texas, we are used to HOT.  We actually have camped in our pop up in west Texas 4th of July.  However, HOT in a state park is totally different than the concrete jungle.   Of course, I grew up in Texas without AC, but my kiddos are AC acclimated.

We will have a family meeting to see if we could possibly change, but, I'm somewhat excited about Brent's and Tri-Circle D's comments about all the extra things surrounding July 4th.  

DinDavie's suggestions of a backpack is great, and it brings up an important question that I have regarding bringing foods into WDW.  My youngest daughter is a Type 1 diabetic and it is important that we carry food, snacks and water.  So based on what you are saying it is acceptable to carry food into WDW?  (I'll be posting another question regarding attending the park with disabilities, loads of questions regarding that.)

We might be meeting Rennie and Judy there for the 4th. So, knowing that it will be busy and crowded, when do you think that we need to make a final decision--rather how quickly do you think the Fort will fill up for July 4th?  Thanks for all the advice, ya'll are awesome.

..how quickly do you think the Fort will fill up for July 4th?  Thanks for all the advice, ya'll are awesome.

Quickly!  If you have an inkling of your dates, and you're doing a room-only reservation, I'd snag the dates ASAP.  It's just a one night fee deposit to hold it.

We've been on the 4th.  If you are night people it's nice.  Days are hot and crowded.  Late nights are not as crowded and somewhat cooler.  The fireworks are definitely awesome.  If you are thinking the 4th the quicker you make your reservations the better. IMO no matter what you decide WDW is always fun.

As for the food, you should not have any trouble taking food into the parks.  I believe they do not allow glass, but other than that you are pretty open, especially for young children and special dietary needs.  I always carry water bottles and granola bars just so we can hold off a meal for a while if lines are long or we want to ride something first. 

Speaking of water, make sure your group stays hydrated.  You guys are used to the heat, but the asphalt really drains you.  Don't forget the sunscreen and hats, too.  As others have mentioned, avoid the early afternoon hours in the parks - better to do early mornings, take a break, and do a late nighter.

Above all, enjoy!  Like I always say "A rainy day at Disney is STILL a day at Disney!"

We will have a family meeting to see if we could possibly change, but, I'm somewhat excited about Brent's and Tri-Circle D's comments about all the extra things surrounding July 4th.  

Here's an example of the special activities that are hosted at Fort Wilderness around the 4th of July:

20114thActivities.jpg

20114thActivitiesp2.jpg

If you have some spare time- read this trip report- it will give you an idea of what it's like at Fort Wilderness around the 4th of July, and has photos of the activities:  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/2916-tcds-flippin-awesome-july-4-2011-fort-trip-report/

TCD

That really add's to my excitement, if it were a total suck fest on the 4th, I'm sure the TCD clan wouldnt have done it so many times, and those activities look awesome!  Will keep my rugrats busy for hours.. :)

Make sure you don't miss the golf cart parade.

Or the fireworks.  This past year, they had the special fireworks every night. But, that was for the Limited Time Magic promotion.  Before that, they would do the special July 4th fireworks on both the 3rd and 4th.  Do not miss these!

I assure you the 4th of July is not a suck fest.  At all.

TCD

I agree the 4th is great... just not the best for someone who wants to spend a lot of time in the parks. The July 4th trips are some of the best trips I've ever had... and last year I never went to a park. There was enough to do around the Fort that after 6 days, I wanted to extend. Also, there tend to be a lot of fiends around for the 4th, so there's always a potluck or drinks to be had.

I agree the 4th is great... just not the best for someone who wants to spend a lot of time in the parks. The July 4th trips are some of the best trips I've ever had... and last year I never went to a park. There was enough to do around the Fort that after 6 days, I wanted to extend. Also, there tend to be a lot of fiends around for the 4th, so there's always a potluck or drinks to be had.

My kind of vacation!!