Happy Fall Y'all! TCD's September 2013 Not So Scary TR

I am going with Donnie or Deb.

Michael got it right!  Well done! 

Grumpy Dave

Nope.  And it wasn't any of the other Dave's either.

Was it Lou?

I hope it's Lou.

I miss him.

The chances of me randomly running in to Lou at the Meadow Trading Post at 8 am are between slim and none.

I don't think Lou does mornings at the Fort.

I'm thinking maybe Deb or Al

No and no.

Oh yes, Al.  I hadn't considered it could be him.  And he is there now.  So I think you got it.  Definitely "old school".  

Not Al.  I have never met Al.  Deb, I've met many times, although it's been a while. How was I supposed to even know that Al was at the Fort?  When's the last time he or Deb posted on here?

TCD

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you will still have 3 very expensive princess dresses to buy. And the color is white.

Lol. Only a southerner knows what "bless your heart..." Really means.

Ray I know you warned us, But you still owe me that 3:45 of my life back. 

If you paid attention to my response to the guesses, you will know who it was that I ran in to at the Meadow Trading Post.  If you can't figure it out, no worries, I'm going to tell in this post.  So read on.

We left off on Bob's dock.  It's a nice dock.  It's better when Bob is on it, but it's OK even when he's not.

I call this photo Fall at Fort Wilderness:

102013102_zps6f35f504.jpg

Seriously, even though it was north of 80 at 8 am, it's Fall.  Here's the leaves on the ground to prove it:

102013103_zps3e4cec1d.jpg

Happy Fall, Y'all.  That's the best we can do here in Florida.

Here's another one of my favorite places in the Fort-the back porch of the Meadow Trading Post:

102013104_zps2d8e8f3c.jpg

That is one thing Disney got right.  And that Doug hasn't yet messed up.  But give him time.

I needed to shake a leg.

But I also at least needed to take a peek in the Trading Post.  No sense in coming all this way and not going in.

So here we are:

102013105_zpsb663d115.jpg

Look at Mickey's empty hand.  Give him back his Musket, Doug!

Somebody got whooped here at the checkerboard.  Looks like it ended like one of the TCD v. DD matches.  Somebody just got up and walked away:

102013106_zps5c5eecd0.jpg

Check it out- the Fort is neck and neck with Port Orleans in the monthly Worldwide Conservation Fund Award standings:

102013107_zps88f11ab8.jpg

Does anyone else see the irony in chopping down a tree to make a trophy for the Worldwide Conservation Fund?  Shouldn't that thing be made out of recycled aluminum cans or milk jugs or something?

You want to see some grumpy and bad looking folks in the morning?  Watch who's buying coffee in the first half hour that the Trading Post opens:

102013108_zpsa7c5bffe.jpg

There's a lot of cool stuff hanging up in the rafters of the Trading Posts.  Both of them.  Look up the next time you're there and check it out:

102013110_zpsfa06f4e0.jpg

102013111_zpsc3b5ef57.jpg

I've been in the Meadow Trading Post easily over a hundred times, and not once have I ever noticed whatever that is hanging there in that last photo.

I would have liked to hang out here some more, but I needed to be heading to Epcot for rope drop, so out I went.  The view from just outside the front doors:

102013112_zps75afeb1e.jpg

102013113_zps9ffc20ad.jpg

Just another day in paradise.

I wish I could have grabbed one of those rockers and set a spell, but I had to go.

Just as I headed out, I saw a familiar face walking up the sidewalk.

It was the Mayor!  Donnie!  Or Stacktester as he's known here.

Of course it was.  I used to joke that I would run in to him every time I visited the Fort, no matter for how short a time.  For a while, he seemed to be everywhere.  But, it's been a while since I saw Donnie.  So, I was glad to see him this morning. 

The only thing is, if you're in a hurry, Donnie is not the person you want to run in to.  It was no problem this morning- he was in a hurry too.  So we caught up on each other's lives, and I moved on.

Donnie's the only Fiend I saw at the Fort on Sunday.

From here, I headed out.  I didn't know then that I'd be back to the Fort this evening.  So, you haven't seen the last of the bonus Fort photos in this Trip Report.

For now, though, we are going to Epcot.

I toyed with the idea of leaving my truck in the overflow lot and busing it to Epcot, but I didn't think I'd be coming back to the Fort, so I drove to Epcot.

They've made some changes in the parking lot.  They had us early folks park in what used to be the area for AAA Diamond Parking and RV's.  Way over by the old Epcot kennel.  The RV parking is now in a much more distant part of the parking lot.  That stinks.  If you have an RV to park.  But I didn't, so it was good for me today.  Very close to the entrance.

And, here I am waiting for rope drop at 8:32 am:

102013114_zps7c3b06ff.jpg

It was here that I texted Twin #1 to see if she was up.

I heard back from her in just a bit confirming that she was awake and getting ready, but would be hanging out in her friend's hotel room for a bit because the parents had gone to breakfast, and she didn't want to leave until they got back so she could thank them.  That girl gets her good manners from her mom.  I told her no worries- I was going to go in and try to get us Fastpasses with my old KTTW cards.  My research told me that this was very likely, and I wanted to see for myself if I could do it.

So, I had to wait for a half hour until the park opened.

I said I was here for rope drop.  But, the rope is gone.  I don't like that.  They used to start letting guests in through the turnstiles around a half hour before official opening time, and then they would hold everyone in the area between the Golf Ball and the big fountain until 9 am.  They actually would have a rope stretched across this area to hold guests back, and at the appropriate time, it would be rolled up and guests could then stampede to wherever it was they wanted to go.  Now, they make you stand outside like an animal.

It isn't often that I have stood in a line at Disney like an animal and not had one of my kids with me.  I missed them.  When we are in situations like this, we look around at our fellow guests, and have a little fun.  One thing we do is try to compare guests to celebrities.  Like, hey check your six, it's Oprah!  Stuff like that.  The more obscure the celebrity, the more fun it can be.  So, I was really sad that I had Tony Little standing right in front of me, but none of my kids around to tell:

102013115_zpse45a72a6.jpg

You have to admit that is one luxurious and magnificent pony tail on that dude.  That is a lost art.

Does everyone know who Tony Little is?  He sells crap merchandise on the Home Shopping Channel and Infomercials?  I think he's known nationwide, right?  He lives in St. Pete, so maybe he's just a local celebrity.  Anyway, that dude's pony tail is just like Tony's. Maybe better.

I've heard that sometimes they will open up the RFID scanners a little before the official park opening time, and guests can get in a few minutes early.  But, 8:45 came and went, and we were still standing here. 

When I arrived, CM's were directing all the guests into about 8 lines on the far left of the scanners as you face the Golf Ball.  It looked like they were only going to have about 1/4 of the available scanners open.  That has been our experience lately- they ripped out all the turnstiles and installed these RFID readers with the promise that entering the parks would be so much quicker, and then they only open 1/4 or less of the scanners, so the entry is longer than it ever was with the turnstiles.  Jeez.

Anyway, at 8:48, I look over to the right, and see that there are now hundreds of guests lined up at the scanners that they weren't letting guests who arrived earlier line up at:

102013116_zps26751f62.jpg

Excuse my French, but that is BS Disney!  I was here before those people, and could have been the first guest in one of those lines, but instead I have to stand over here behind Tony Little.

But, it was worse for all the guests behind me- check this out- the line goes all the way back to the entrance to the monorail:

102013117_zpsc2e5ec1b.jpg

That's a lot of people here for rope drop.

Kind of odd for a Sunday morning in the middle of October.

See that guy there in the yellow shirt?  It says Brasil.  With an "s."  That means he's a real Brazilian from there.  But, he didn't seem to be traveling with a pack.  More on that later, though:

102013119_zpsdb65cf67.jpg

You can't really see it too well, but the guy in the orange t-shirt to the right of the Lone Brazilian is wearing a Clemson t-shirt.  Clemson had just had their butts kicked big time by FSU the night before.  I wonder if he knew? 

So, this was all fun, but it was about 82 degrees now, and humid, and still.  And I was packed in with all these guests.  I wanted to be in there:

102013120_zps3183f9b3.jpg

Not out here.

One more look behind me:

102013121_zps115de8d5.jpg

You see those people with the double stroller and the USF shirts?  Remember them. And note, that they are several people behind me in the adjacent line.

It was right about here that a pre-recorded greeting was played over the loudspeakers.  No characters.  No confetti.  Just a taped greeting.  And, then, at 8:56, a whole four minutes early, the scanners began to operate and the lines began to move. This guy in the red hat was right next to me.  Let's see who makes it in to the park first:

102013122_zps2c1ae783.jpg

Since this always happens to me, what came next was no surprise.  In the first minute, my line barely moved, but the Wisconsin guy's line flew by.  There he goes:

102013123_zps35535cc5.jpg

And there goes that USF family I told you to remember, and everyone else:

102013124_zpsa6509249.jpg

102013125_zps640836d8.jpg

It never fails.  Technology only works as well as the idiots who have to use it.  In this case, combine idiot guests and idiot CM's, and this is what you get- a line that doesn't move.

I could see the CM up by the scanner in front of my line repeatedly raising her hand. That's what they do when something doesn't work.  Then a manager type has to come and resolve the issue.  Our line had a lot of issues.  Progress.

In the end, it wasn't as bad as I'm making it sound.  I snapped this photo at exactly 9:00, which is when I entered the park:

102013127_zps76004b80.jpg

If you're at Epcot, you have to take a photo of the Golf Ball, right?  Here's mine:

102013128_zps44ac692d.jpg

Looking back at the chaos at the scanners:

102013129_zpsf65680d5.jpg

I turned and walked as fast as I could away from there.

You know that the new Starbucks is open in Epcot, right?

I haven't been in it yet, and have no immediate plans to visit, but it seems to have the same issues as the one in the MK.  Namely, too many employees and not enough customers.  Even though the park is open now, and guests are free to go in there an buy the overpriced drinks and stale bakery goods, the employees know that nobody is coming in, so they apparently all just stand out front and wave:

102013130_zps9b3ccec1.jpg

That's a lot of employees.  I assume they're all on the clock.  How many coffee drinks do they need to sell today to make payroll?  I guess a lot more than they're going to.  Good luck with that.

Remember the celebrity look alike game?  I hope you remember since I just mentioned it above in the same update that you're still reading.  But, lookie here, it's Miley!:

102013131_zpsa95e0846.jpg

In case you didn't pick up on it, we're heading to Soarin'.  I had to choose between it and Test Track to hit up first.  Generally, in my vast experience, the Soarin' FP's go faster than the TT ones, so I went there first.

The stampede was not as big as it used to be.  I found that interesting.  And, it's a good thing too, because one of the escalators was down and walled off:

102013132_zps80fd0714.jpg

That may look like a lot of people, but it isn't.  In all they years that I've been coming to Disney, what you would typically see on a semi-busy morning like this is a solid wall of guests from the entrance to the escalators/stairs, and no space in between any of them.

I was really surprised when I got to the Fastpass machines.  Usually this time of morning, that small area where they have the machines is wall to wall people, with guests lines up ten deep or more at each machine grabbing FP's as fast as the machines could spit them out.  Not today.  Not at all.  Today, I there were only two or three guests in the entire room getting FP's,. That's it.  Almost all of the machines were sitting there open and ready to be used, but no one was getting Fastpasses.  Why?  Because everyone and his brother has a Magic Band now.  They already all have Soarin' as one of their three FP's so nobody is going to the trouble of coming all the way here to get a paper FP.

Time for my experiment.  I have my four KTTW cards from my September visit to the Fort, plus my pass. If the KTTW cards work, my plan was to get two Soarin' FP's, and then head over to TT to get two FP's over there with the other two KTTW cards.  If the KTTW cards didn't work, I would get one FP with my pass, and try to use the invalid FP I got with the KTTW card to get Twin #1 and I on the ride later.  The moment of truth- I inserted the first KTTW card.  And out came a FP!  Second one same thing.  Bam!  This was going to work!

There was one slight problem, however, the return time for the FP's I pulled at 9:06 am was for 12:25-1:25.  I've never seen such a thing.  Even when we're here on busy holidays, the FP return times for attractions very early in the morning is typically an hour later at the worst.  Maybe two if it's Thanksgiving or Christmas.  But, this FP, which I got at the earliest possible moment- just six minutes after the park opened was going to make me wait almost 3 1/2 hours?  If I was limited to just my AP, I might be royally ticked about this, but since I could go get TT FP's too, we could make this work.  No big deal.

Speaking of TT, I needed to get there stat.  So, I headed out.

They had a really nice fall display set up outside the Land restaurant.  I don't remember ever seeing anything like this here before:

102013133_zps91a54523.jpg

102013134_zpse2c60a57.jpg

There was a little table and chairs set up in there- like for a kid's activity.  I don't know what that was for.

There was something in this display that puzzled me.  I have a photo of it that I'll post.  I will need the services of a nerd/geek to help me when I do.  If you know of any, please call their attention to this thread.

TCD

The wrong line is the story of my life.  You want to get through something quickly, stand in the line I am NOT in.  And I know this.  And it still has the ability to irk me endlessly.  I will give myself a tizzy for those extra 5 minutes while it is happening. You know, because being upset is going to help somehow.  ROFL.  The only good part is it will not ruin my whole day.  Just those 5 minutes.

And whoa, those are some messed up return times.

The wrong line is the story of my life. You want to get through something quickly, stand in the line I am NOT in. And I know this. And it still has the ability to irk me endlessly. I will give myself a tizzy for those extra 5 minutes while it is happening. You know, because being upset is going to help somehow. ROFL. The only good part is it will not ruin my whole day. Just those 5 minutes.

Ditto!

It drives me nuts every time it happens.

The FP issue I know your going to rant about is not a conspiracy or error. Remember all those MBs you mentioned? They have all the early FPs. Those aren't two separate systems. The FP system is all tied into one. So there is the same amount of FPs available (between both legacy and FP+) but FP+ can make theirs weeks or months in advance. Once the time is gone, its gone. Pushing the legacy times up. Advantage to using MyMagic+.

And the Star Wars logo on the crate is what puzzled you in the display.

But if those FP times are gone, how will people change on the fly using the app? Oh yeah, they won't really be able to.

They can make changes all they want. But it is still up to whats available. You may have to change to a completely different attraction. But you can change them.

The woman next to me at Everest last week was putting every credit card in her wallet into the fast pass machine. She said it was taking anything with a magnetic strip. I did double dip a couple of times by using our tickets and our room cards, but I couldn't go that far.

Facebook.  Ask one of your daughters to keep you posted on such matters. 

Facebook?  So they post on Facebook but have not time to make one measly post on this site?  Ever?  What's up with that?

so far behind it isnt funny... but just saying hi

HI back at you!  I've lost track of where you are, but if you're still at the Fort, then don't waste your Fort time reading this long-winded trip report. Nothing to see here that's better than what you can see live there.

I'm guessing the Star Wars logo on the right?

Yes, that's what I'm going to be asking about,  And you already answered my first question, which is where it came from. I thought it could have been something from Stitch or a Captain EO, or some other place.  I want some help translating it, if that is in your wheelhouse.

The wrong line is the story of my life.  You want to get through something quickly, stand in the line I am NOT in.  And I know this.  And it still has the ability to irk me endlessly.  I will give myself a tizzy for those extra 5 minutes while it is happening. You know, because being upset is going to help somehow.  ROFL.  The only good part is it will not ruin my whole day.  Just those 5 minutes.

You are my sister from another mister. That describes me too.

Ditto!

It drives me nuts every time it happens.

Hey, triplets!

that escalator has been down for at least 3 weeks now

What the Fort

and can I say the way they have Soarin' access set up has always SMB  I always just about get run over trying to get in or out of there.

I thought the construction barricades looked pretty substantial-like this was a long term deal. But, why would it take that long to repair an escalator?  Are they moving it or something?

Agreed about the location of the Soarin' FP machines- they could not be any more inconvenient.  I don't know why they couldn't have them outside the pavilion- it would be better for everyone.  Of course, with MB's you don't have to go through that ordeal any more.

The FP issue I know your going to rant about is not a conspiracy or error. Remember all those MBs you mentioned? They have all the early FPs. Those aren't two separate systems. The FP system is all tied into one. So there is the same amount of FPs available (between both legacy and FP+) but FP+ can make theirs weeks or months in advance. Once the time is gone, its gone. Pushing the legacy times up. Advantage to using MyMagic+.

And the Star Wars logo on the crate is what puzzled you in the display.

Sorry, but I'm still going to rant.  Actually, not a rant, just some civil complaints.  But. let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's a long story.

Come back and see if you can help translate what it says on that crate.  I'm about to post a photo that shows the letters clearly.

But if those FP times are gone, how will people change on the fly using the app? Oh yeah, they won't really be able to.

Bingo.

And, remember, on this day, they were still just testing with limited resort guests.  Just imagine how bad it will be when everyone gets a MB.  There are only two main attractions that guests want FP's for in Epcot.  There aren't enough FP's to give to everyone who might want one in advance.  That's why I liked the old way better-first come, first served.  Can't get any fairer than that

They can make changes all they want. But it is still up to whats available. You may have to change to a completely different attraction. But you can change them.

That's a fail in Epcot.  When the TT and Soarin' FP's are all spoken for for the entire day, what are guests going to switch to?  Mission Space?  That's a waste of a FP.  Same with Maelstrom. 

TCD

Not sure about the writing or the re-porposed box, but there was wood in Star Wars. It's a different galaxy, more so than just space. There were trees on Endor and Dagobah, others I'm sure, but I favor the original trilogy, and know very little past 1983.

KUATDRIVE SHIPYARDS

Of course the box is upside down. The symbol is under the words, rather than the top.

Man, did I just show my geekiness?

Kuat Drive Yards, or KDY, was the largest military shipbuilding corporation in the galaxy at the time of the Galactic Civil War, based on Kuat.

Kuat Drive Yards mainly sold its products to the Galactic Empire, and the Galactic Republic previously. Many Kuat products could be found in TIE Fighters, armored fighting vehicles such as AT-STs and AT-ATs, Star Destroyers, and other military vehicles. Kuat Drive Yards did not sell only to the Imperials, however; many planetary governments purchased its weapons for the purposes of defending their planet from the war. These circumstances helped to make Kuat Drive Yards one of the most famous corporations in the galaxy.

KUATDRIVE SHIPYARDS

Of course the box is upside down. The symbol is under the words, rather than the top.

Man, did I just show my geekiness?

Kuat Drive Yards, or KDY, was the largest military shipbuilding corporation in the galaxy at the time of the Galactic Civil War, based on Kuat.

Kuat Drive Yards mainly sold its products to the Galactic Empire, and the Galactic Republic previously. Many Kuat products could be found in TIE Fighters, armored fighting vehicles such as AT-STs and AT-ATs, Star Destroyers, and other military vehicles. Kuat Drive Yards did not sell only to the Imperials, however; many planetary governments purchased its weapons for the purposes of defending their planet from the war. These circumstances helped to make Kuat Drive Yards one of the most famous corporations in the galaxy.

His explanation is much more thorough than mine. 

This is awesome!

I ask for some geek/nerd assistance, and got more than I could ever hope for!

I agree with Dave D., what the heck is that box doing there?  The Star Tours attraction isn't even in Epcot.  If they just wanted to use the box for the fall display, they could have turned it so the letters were pointing down. 

And, John, I know there's trees in space, but why would an advanced organization like the Empire use wooden boxes for space shipments?

We need to have a geek/nerd gathering one Star Wars Weekend.

TCD