Happy Fall Y'all! TCD's September 2013 Not So Scary TR

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you will still have 3 very expensive princess dresses to buy. And the color is white.

Lol. Only a southerner knows what "bless your heart..." Really means.

Ray I know you warned us, But you still owe me that 3:45 of my life back. 

TCD, great trip report as usual.  :)

I'm normally just a lurker, but I had to comment on this one when I finally got time to read it.  Why?  Because I'm Prince Charming in the Cinderalla family photo on the dock on the way to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.  Wayyyy back on page 6.   

A little background on that - my 14-year old daughter (the one with the pixie cut in the photo) spotted you while I was filling a water bottle up at Trail's End.   She came up to me all breathless and excited.  From the way she was acting, I knew something really exciting had happened.  She told me that Tri-Circle D was in line for the boat RIGHT IN FRONT OF US!!!!! She's a pretty avid reader of your trip reports, has been for at least a year.  She said she hoped we'd get our picture in a trip report.  And we did! 

She searched your trip report as soon as you started posting, and the morning she saw our picture she just about had a heart attack she was so excited. 

Oh, my son was NOT a pumpkin.  He was Jaq from Cinderella, but he wouldn't wear his hat.    Our older girls were the step sisters, and the little ones (one of them isn't pictured) were suzy and perla, the girl mice.  they wouldn't keep their headband "hats" on either. 

You can't see it in the pic, but my wife wrote "Leave the sewing to the women" on the boy's shirt, that made him a bit happier about wearing it.  thought it was funny. 

He thought you were taking a picture of us at the time, so made sure to smile.  Unlike my daughters, who were too shy to look your direction. 

Anyway, you're quite the celebrity, at least in our household.  

A tip of the hat also for brining the sweet and spicy chicken waffles to our attention a year or so back.  We have them at least once every time we're there.  And we always miss them at least once while we're there because we forget and get there after 5pm.  haha. 

One last thing - you mentioned that the breakfast sandwich wasn't on the Trails End breakfast take out menu anymore.  However, I asked a CM behind the counter and he said they're still available on request, just not on the menu. 

Did anyone see the line of people on this dock?

Look:

92913092_zpsf6386b0b.jpg

I appreciate how that kid in the orange shirt smiled for the camera.  He and his family were all dressed up as Cinderella characters.  He apparently is a pumpkin.  Good sport.

You see that dude in the Phillies cap?  I predicted he and all the folks behind him are not going to make this boat.

We all packed in to that little boat.

And look who got left standing on the dock:

How cool is that!

I'm normally just a lurker, but I had to comment on this one when I finally got time to read it. Why? Because I'm Prince Charming in the Cinderalla family photo on the dock on the way to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. Wayyyy back on page 6.

A little background on that - my 14-year old daughter (the one with the pixie cut in the photo) spotted you while I was filling a water bottle up at Trail's End. She came up to me all breathless and excited. From the way she was acting, I knew something really exciting had happened. She told me that Tri-Circle D was in line for the boat RIGHT IN FRONT OF US!!!!! She's a pretty avid reader of your trip reports, has been for at least a year. She said she hoped we'd get our picture in a trip report. And we did!

She searched your trip report as soon as you started posting, and the morning she saw our picture she just about had a heart attack she was so excited.

Oh, my son was NOT a pumpkin. He was Jaq from Cinderella, but he wouldn't wear his hat. Our older girls were the step sisters, and the little ones (one of them isn't pictured) were suzy and perla, the girl mice. they wouldn't keep their headband "hats" on either.

You can't see it in the pic, but my wife wrote "Leave the sewing to the women" on the boy's shirt, that made him a bit happier about wearing it. thought it was funny.

He thought you were taking a picture of us at the time, so made sure to smile. Unlike my daughters, who were too shy to look your direction.

Anyway, you're quite the celebrity, at least in our household.

That is awesome! I mean, what are the chances of finding yourself in a trip report?

I have a similar story, though. My kids were on YouTube a few weeks ago and were looking up ride videos on YouTube to show their cousins what to expect on our October trip. They looked up Splash Mountain and for whatever reason clicked on the second one on the list (I think it was posted by the people from undercover tourist). They start screaming when they realize they are in the video! It was from our trip a year or two ago and the three of them went on the ride while my husband and I took a breather. Sure enough, through the video you get glimpses of them in the line and then enjoying the front row in the log.

Funny enough my oldest remembers the guy behind them taping the entire ride and she remembers commenting "maybe we'll be on youtube." How weird is that...and that they would stumble upon it a year later?

Sorry for the hijack, TCD. An excellent trip report as usual :)

You should already be at the fort why are you still here posting. Unless your there and posting from a phone. Then where are the pic's?

Sorry- I couldn't sneak away until yesterday.

Which means there will be more bonus material.

coming soon to this space!

Ms White's chest is quite luminous in that pic.  Either she was sweaty, or she was lubricated for some reason.  

Hmmm.

Peter Pan was sweaty too.

What exactly is going on here?

phineas-and-ferb-profile.jpg

Maybe this will help.  Looking at the logo you can see that Phineas' name starts with a pointy P like his head and Ferb's head is sort of F shaped.  Love that show!

Perfect!

That helps me a great deal.  I don't think I will mix them up again.

Thanks!

I've never really gotten in to the show.  I don't think I've ever watched a full episode. But, a couple of years ago, they had a Christmas album.  We heard it during the Osborne Lights.  My girls wanted a copy, so we have the Phineas and Ferb Christmas album.  I break it out every year.

Yes sir. We will be there for Halloween. Will you be there. Always wanted to meet you. I would do a trip report, but I can't figure out the photo thing.

It doesn't look like I'll make it for Halloween.  I remember that I met your brother once, and I think it was during a previous Halloween.  We will have to catch up one of these days.

Here's a good question. They keep the horses at the fort, but where do they keep the bloodhound.

That is a good question.

I'll see if I can find the photo, but I saw a guy once in the MK with a bloodhound like this.  Maybe the dog lives with its owner, and just comes out for the parade?  That's my guess.

Jimminy cricket meets during the Halloween parties with pinochio.

I didn't know that.

But, I do know that he currently appears in the 3:00 parade at the MK.

Thanks for sharing.

Twin#1 takes some nice photos.

I am also glad to see Dave will be making his triumphant return to stalk Snow White soon.

Thanks for reading.

DIT is returning to the Fort.

It's about time!

TCD, great trip report as usual.  :)

I'm normally just a lurker, but I had to comment on this one when I finally got time to read it.  Why?  Because I'm Prince Charming in the Cinderalla family photo on the dock on the way to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.  Wayyyy back on page 6.   

A little background on that - my 14-year old daughter (the one with the pixie cut in the photo) spotted you while I was filling a water bottle up at Trail's End.   She came up to me all breathless and excited.  From the way she was acting, I knew something really exciting had happened.  She told me that Tri-Circle D was in line for the boat RIGHT IN FRONT OF US!!!!! She's a pretty avid reader of your trip reports, has been for at least a year.  She said she hoped we'd get our picture in a trip report.  And we did! 

Oh, my son was NOT a pumpkin.  He was Jaq from Cinderella, but he wouldn't wear his hat.    Our older girls were the step sisters, and the little ones (one of them isn't pictured) were suzy and perla, the girl mice.  they wouldn't keep their headband "hats" on either. 

You can't see it in the pic, but my wife wrote "Leave the sewing to the women" on the boy's shirt, that made him a bit happier about wearing it.  thought it was funny. 

He thought you were taking a picture of us at the time, so made sure to smile.  Unlike my daughters, who were too shy to look your direction. 

Anyway, you're quite the celebrity, at least in our household.  

A tip of the hat also for brining the sweet and spicy chicken waffles to our attention a year or so back.  We have them at least once every time we're there.  And we always miss them at least once while we're there because we forget and get there after 5pm.  haha. 

One last thing - you mentioned that the breakfast sandwich wasn't on the Trails End breakfast take out menu anymore.  However, I asked a CM behind the counter and he said they're still available on request, just not on the menu. 

This post made my day!

So were y'all (there's that word again) camping at the Fort?

I wish you had said something.  I still have some genuine FWRR spikes left, and would have given y'all one.

The TCD girls liked your costumes.  They like it when a group or family has a cohesive theme. Good job.

Good to know about the breakfast sandwich!  I got one a while back right after they first disappeared from the menu.  I figured they were gone for good by now.  So Trail's End has a secret menu.  I wonder what else is on it?

How cool is that!

That is super cool!

Great trip report as always. I love coming here to read them. Keep them coming! 

Thanks for reading.

I don't know when the next trip will be, but I do have some bonus content I'm going to add to this one.

So stick around or check back for that.

TCD

Thanks TCD!  I really wish we had said hello.  We  almost did a couple times, but travelling in Disney with 5 kids is kind've a preoccupying exercise, and besides we were a bit bashful.    I would love one of those FWRR spikes!  My parents say I rode on that as a child but I don't have memory of it.  I do have memory of going many times throughout my childhood.  We did the tent thing until one year we got flooded out of our tent at 2am.  I remember standing in the laundry room at the comfort station at 3am waiting for our things to dry, and my mom "gently suggested" an upgrade to a pop-up.  Actually she said if he wanted to ever go camping again he'd better get shopping for a pop-up.  We had the biggest '79 Jayco available in short order.  It didn't fit all of us though, so my brother and I slept in the conversion van that was the tow vehicle...

FW is without a doubt still my favorite place on the planet.  Second place is Maui in case you're wondering.  

So were y'all (there's that word again) camping at the Fort?

Yep!  We were on the 300 loop after staying at AKL with my parents, all 7 kids, 6 spouses and 10 grandkids.  Celebrating my parent's 40th wedding anniversary.  It was an unforgettable trip.  other than the ear infections, influenza B, and all that kind of fun stuff of course.  :)

Here's a pic of a memorable moment after my dad "proposed' to my mom again.  We were happy she still said yes on her second chance.

wdw20132657720357_zps28db49e1.jpeg

Oh, one other note. my parents were with us at the Not So Scary, and they tied into our theme too, can you guess who they were?  

wdw20132709029352_zps185ffdda.jpeg

That is awesome! I mean, what are the chances of finding yourself in a trip report?

I have a similar story, though. My kids were on YouTube a few weeks ago and were looking up ride videos on YouTube to show their cousins what to expect on our October trip. They looked up Splash Mountain and for whatever reason clicked on the second one on the list (I think it was posted by the people from undercover tourist). They start screaming when they realize they are in the video! It was from our trip a year or two ago and the three of them went on the ride while my husband and I took a breather. Sure enough, through the video you get glimpses of them in the line and then enjoying the front row in the log.

Funny enough my oldest remembers the guy behind them taping the entire ride and she remembers commenting "maybe we'll be on youtube." How weird is that...and that they would stumble upon it a year later?

Sorry for the hijack, TCD. An excellent trip report as usual :)

You never need to apologize for a hijack in a TCD trip report.  We cover so many topics, that there isn't such a thing as a hijack in the first place.

That's a great story about the Youtube video.  I think that type of thing is only going to happen more and more since it seems that everyone has phone out these days taking photos and videos, and there are so many places to share them.

Thanks TCD!  I really wish we had said hello.  We  almost did a couple times, but travelling in Disney with 5 kids is kind've a preoccupying exercise, and besides we were a bit bashful.    I would love one of those FWRR spikes!  My parents say I rode on that as a child but I don't have memory of it.  I do have memory of going many times throughout my childhood.  We did the tent thing until one year we got flooded out of our tent at 2am.  I remember standing in the laundry room at the comfort station at 3am waiting for our things to dry, and my mom "gently suggested" an upgrade to a pop-up.  Actually she said if he wanted to ever go camping again he'd better get shopping for a pop-up.  We had the biggest '79 Jayco available in short order.  It didn't fit all of us though, so my brother and I slept in the conversion van that was the tow vehicle...

FW is without a doubt still my favorite place on the planet.  Second place is Maui in case you're wondering.  

Yep!  We were on the 300 loop after staying at AKL with my parents, all 7 kids, 6 spouses and 10 grandkids.  Celebrating my parent's 40th wedding anniversary.  It was an unforgettable trip.  other than the ear infections, influenza B, and all that kind of fun stuff of course.  :)

Here's a pic of a memorable moment after my dad "proposed' to my mom again.  We were happy she still said yes on her second chance.

wdw20132657720357_zps28db49e1.jpeg

Oh, one other note. my parents were with us at the Not So Scary, and they tied into our theme too, can you guess who they were?  

wdw20132709029352_zps185ffdda.jpeg

Thanks for sharing those two photos!  They are awesome!  What a great thing for your family to be able to do.

I am going to set aside two FWRR spikes.  One for you, and one for your mom and dad.  Your dad is my kind of guy- taking the family to the Fort year after year.  Let me know the next time you're going to be at the Fort, and I'll make sure you get those spikes.

I guess those costumes are the King and the Fairy Godmother.  Good job!  You don't have a shot of the whole family together, do you?

TCD

I told you there might be some more bonus content.

And there is!

Twin #1 did go to WDW this past weekend as a guest of a new friend from school and her family.  They stayed at the Dolphin.  A place I still, to this day, have never visited.  Nor do I plan to. 

Twin #1 said the Dolphin was very nice, but it's weird being surrounded by WDW, and not actually staying in a Disney resort.  Do you know they have a fake Food and Wine Festival there?  With booths and all?  She said they did.  I'll never know.

Anyway, the way things worked is that Twin #1 could not arrive with her hosts, so she drove herself.  And, they planned to check out early Sunday.  So, she invited me to join her for a day trip on Sunday.

I said I would think about it.  Just kidding, I said what time?  Just kidding.  I said I will meet you at a park for rope drop.  Pick one. As long as it's Epcot.  I needed another visit to the Food and Wine Festival.  And, I needed to do some more research on how to scam the current Fastpass+ system with my old KTTW cards.

I was serious about the rope drop and trying to get Fastpasses with my KTTW cards from our September trip, so I planned to be at Epcot by 9.  Twin #1 said she didn't want to have to get up too early and rush, so I said fine, I would go, and she could meet me a bit later in the morning.  She was down with that.

Since I had to get up early on a Sunday to get there, I figured I may as well get up a little earlier, and squeeze in a quick visit to the Fort.  After all, it had been nearly three weeks since I had last been there.

These plans all came together on Saturday, and I really wasn't sure until Saturday night exactly what I would be doing, so that left me with no time to contact any of the Fiends currently at the Fort.  I am sad about that, because I know there are a bunch there.  But, there was no time.  But, guess what?  I ended up running into a Fiend anyway.  A big shot one, too.  But, I'm getting ahead of myself.  We will get to that in due time.

I headed east at a little before 6 am on Sunday.  The drive from the Tampa area to WDW can have very heavy traffic at times, but never on Sunday morning.  I sailed right over.  The sun wasn't even thinking of rising yet, so it was dark the whole way.

At about 7:15, I was at the Fort, and ready for a whirlwind tour by foot.

It was still dark when I arrived, and the first time it was light enough for photos was when I stood across from the 600 loop entrance to begin my walkabout.  Here is how things looked, looking back toward the 900 loop:

102013001_zps0eb30593.jpg

Earlier in this very report, I shared some photos of this site on the 600 loop.  A few weeks ago, they had a few Green Bay Packers decoration.  In the intervening time, they've cranked it up:

102013002_zps34d76a33.jpg

I have seen these folks in this very site for the past few Halloweens.  In the past, they had graves set up with skeletons wearing the hats of the Packer's division rivals. This year, it looks like they have maybe added all of the teams the Packers play this year:

102013003_zps0c4e8663.jpg

This photo looked clear enough on the screen of my camera, but not so much on the computer.  Sorry about that.  Low lighting, you know.  These folks are what you would call real fans.  Look at their SUV:

102013005_zpsf543619a.jpg

I would have liked to wander all the loops and take photos of all the great Halloween decorations that have already popped up this year, but I had no time for that.  I was on a tight schedule.  But, here's a Mickey Ghost, also on the 600 loop:

102013006_zps42a467d5.jpg

And here's a photo of site 617, just because I knew someone would ask:

102013007_zpsfaa29dfc.jpg

I left the 600 loop via this bridge:

102013008_zps6d35daa1.jpg

102013009_zps4e8bcdfa.jpg

You know that I took a photo of the Fishin' hole from the bridge.  But what you don't know is how blurry it came out.  Too blurry to post.  Sorry.  It was pretty this time of morning.  You'll have to take my word.

But, here's the theater under the stars just before sunrise:

102013011_zps1b3e6d1e.jpg

I thought that I made a monumental discovery this morning when I looked at the benches:

102013012_zps58d60ccf.jpg

Does anything look different to you?

Take a look a this photo from May of this year:

MemorialDay2013724_zps6edbae07.jpg

They have new benches!

Boo!

They're the cheapo slab of wood ones.  Not the awesome half a log ones.

But, guess what?

I looked at my photos from September, which are posted earlier in this very report, and the cheapo slab of wood benches were there then.  Only I didn't notice.

I'm slipping.

But that's beside the point.

I miss the old benches!

You dirty dog, Doug Lord.

You got us again.

By the way, where are those old benches?

Can I have one?

Do you know how much the sell these sticks for?:

102013013_zps99ec9ec0.jpg

And people just pitch them after one use.

I've always kept mine.  I have quite a collection.  I would have taken these back to my camper and washed them too, but my camper was in my garage at the moment.

The theater under the stars had not been cleaned yet this morning.  All the crap the lazy guests threw on the ground the night before was still there:

102013015_zps8b8af065.jpg

I couldn't linger here, I had to press on.  Through the 1400 loop.

I took this photo of a light along the loop road:

102013016_zps7862965c.jpg

Do you know why?

Because there used to be a path next to that light that led to Little Bear Path.  There's an identical light on the other side.  It was a good shortcut to use to get to the comfort station.  That was back when there was still some wilderness in the loops, and that path took you right through the wilderness.  Now, they have some of those new bushes planted where the path used to be.  And the guests on Little Bear have to walk all the way around.  Not cool.  That's on you too, Doug.

Here we are right outside of the 1400 loop, looking to the east.  It's cloudy this morning, so I'm not sure when or if I'll see a sunrise:

102013018_zpsa02f174f.jpg

Here's a couple of photos of the swamp that is across from the 1400 loop.  If you wander far enough back in there, you may find some remnants of the old FWRR.  And a lot of insects and probably some snakes:

102013019_zps45617f3f.jpg

102013020_zpsaaa6621f.jpg

This is the canal between the 1400 loop and the 500 loop, as seen from the bridge.  Not very slimy:

102013021_zps764e9992.jpg

The dog park had no customers yet, but I'm sure it wouldn't be long:

102013022_zps00d35bd3.jpg

102013023_zps8d52799a.jpg

You see that thing on the pole there on the left?  That's one of those new digital speed signs that was installed in just the past couple of weeks.  Grumpy Dave already reported on it, but this was my first time seeing it.  They apparently are only concerned with people speeding on their way out of the Fort:

102013024_zps0a923c42.jpg

The playground had no customers either:

102013025_zps30efed0a.jpg

This would have been a cool photo, if I had been just a bit quicker. There was a guy running toward the sign, and it actually displayed his speed.  It showed between 8 and 9 MPH.  I waited to take his photo as he got up to the sign, but as soon as he passed it, it went blank:

102013027_zpsb4cbb1f3.jpg

So fail on the photo.  But win on filing away some ideas about how to have fun with that sign on a future visit.

I turned right into the 300 loop.  This is the sidewalk that will take you to the comfort station:

102013028_zps1d3c1384.jpg

I passed a few decorated sites.  This photo is kind of washed out, but these folks had a mask on their Mickey lamp:

102013029_zpsc04f65b8.jpg

These people win the award for biggest skull:

102013030_zpsa80359b9.jpg

Seriously, I've never seen a skull that big.  Who needs a skull that big?

I like how these folks recycled some milk jugs into Halloween decorations. Very green:

102013032_zps2652b70b.jpg

And, now we're getting closer to what I really wanted to see.

Here we are back behind the 300 loop.  One of my favorite vistas in all of the Fort:

102013033_zpsb08c872b.jpg

You know what?

I didn't see the crane!

I'm not sure if it's gone, or it was just turned in another direction.

But, I could clearly see the towers of the abomination being built back there.  You can see them in the center of this zoom on that last photo:

towers_zpsb068c117.jpg

You think that's not a big deal?

Wait.

From the bridge, though, you can't see them. So that's good:

102013034_zps421baebd.jpg

The next photo I have to share has a title.

It's called "A lot of dam fence."

But, you have to wait until the next update to see it, because we have reached the photo limit for this post.

Dam photo limit.

TCD

Thanks for sharing those two photos!  They are awesome!  What a great thing for your family to be able to do.

I am going to set aside two FWRR spikes.  One for you, and one for your mom and dad.  Your dad is my kind of guy- taking the family to the Fort year after year.  Let me know the next time you're going to be at the Fort, and I'll make sure you get those spikes.

I guess those costumes are the King and the Fairy Godmother.  Good job!  You don't have a shot of the whole family together, do you?

Thanks TCD!  that would be awesome!  We're going to be back at FW from Nov 20th - 27th, just my family and my parents, no other siblings. 

Good guess, it's the Fairy Godmother and the Duke. 

This is the only group pic we ended up with.  we were kind've halfway doing the Disneybounding thing with our costumes, trying to keep the work down making them and also trying to keep cool.  For Halloween we're going with more complete costumes, but the two older girls decided to opt out of the ugly stepsisters and came up with their own hipster princess look.  i'll post a pic of that later, maybe. 

wdw20132719105567_19_zpsc349ed55.jpeg

I love the picture of the 2nd proposal!!!!!!!!! Priceless. I'm such a sap when it comes to love stories! And Disney. 

Thanks GaDawgFan. Same here.  It was a highlight of a very special trip. 

You see that thing on the pole there on the left? That's one of those new digital speed signs that was installed in just the past couple of weeks. Grumpy Dave already reported on it, but this was my first time seeing it. They apparently are only concerned with people speeding on their way out of the Fort:

Actually "devores" did the initial report.

There is also one just past 1500 heading in. Their placement are on both ends of the sidewalk that abut the road. In the area where the bus mishap occured.

Yay for bonus content!! 

Thanks for sticking around to read it. 

I'd love one of those old benches.  I bet they are stashed back behind some building where they will spend the next 20 years rotting. 

I think you're right.

I would love to have one of the old picnic tables, too.  Last I saw, all the picnic tables they pulled off the sites to replace with the new premium tables are in a big picnic table graveyard.  It would be cool to have a real Fort picnic table.

Doug- you like money.  You could probably sell them for $50 or so apiece.  Do the math.

Thanks TCD!  that would be awesome!  We're going to be back at FW from Nov 20th - 27th, just my family and my parents, no other siblings. 

Good guess, it's the Fairy Godmother and the Duke. 

This is the only group pic we ended up with.  we were kind've halfway doing the Disneybounding thing with our costumes, trying to keep the work down making them and also trying to keep cool.  For Halloween we're going with more complete costumes, but the two older girls decided to opt out of the ugly stepsisters and came up with their own hipster princess look.  i'll post a pic of that later, maybe. 

wdw20132719105567_19_zpsc349ed55.jpeg

Thanks GaDawgFan. Same here.  It was a highlight of a very special trip. 

What a great photo!

We skipped the Magic Shots at the party.

That one is way better than the last hitchhiking ghosts one we did.

I'll see what I can do about getting a couple of spikes delivered to you in November when you're at the Fort.

If you post your site number, that helps.

So you have one son and four daughters?  Oh boy.  I feel sorry for your son.  I have four sisters.  And now I have three daughters.  I don't believe in reincarnation, but if I did, I must have had some kind of issue with women in my prior lives, and this is the way it gets straightened out.

Actually "devores" did the initial report.

There is also one just past 1500 heading in. Their placement are on both ends of the sidewalk that abut the road. In the area where the bus mishap occured.

Oh, sorry, I thought it was you.  Wrong Dave.

I didn't walk that part of the Fort, so I didn't see the digital speed reader by the 1500 loop.  That one will be convenient for me to use.

TCD

Can't wait to see how fast it will clock herbie :)

I'd like to see that. 

Let me know when you're doing the testing, and I'll show up and video it for YouTube!

More morning Fort Pics!

Doug needs a giant wedgie and swirly for getting rid of the log benches.

A wedgie and a swirly, I'd say. 

TCD you have already spiked us but I was wondering could you bench us now?

I'll see what I can do.  First, I need to find out where all the old benches are.

Then, I'll need to figure out how I can carry them around to pass out.

come on coach, i want to be benched also!

OK, I'll put you on the waiting list.

Me three

You're on the list too.

TCD