Happy Fall Y'all! TCD's September 2013 Not So Scary TR

"All the Castmembers in the Ireland booth were American, though.  I am not sure how this works.  In the France booth, those CM's are definitely French.  In the Italy booth, the same.  But, then you come to a booth like Ireland, and it's all American kids on the college program.  The China booth seems to be staffed with Chinese people, but the Korean booth is college kids again. Anyone know why?"

A country with a permanent presence in World Showcase uses their international CMs to man the F&W booths. If there isn't a permanent presence they use standard run of the mill CMs.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you will still have 3 very expensive princess dresses to buy. And the color is white.

Lol. Only a southerner knows what "bless your heart..." Really means.

Ray I know you warned us, But you still owe me that 3:45 of my life back. 

Oh, you can't offend me. I'm Sorry if my comment came off that way-totally was not intentional, and I totally get it on the coal ladies (like my new abbreviation? I bet no one has used "coal" <--- Center Of Attention Ladies)There are a couple coal's at my daughters school who think it is just wonderful to wear skinny jeans while there a$$ and belly are hanging out among other colorful outfits. At LUNCH no less.  I at least try to dress so I do  not embarrass my kid!

I think Wendy did not get the memo that Phineas and Ferb never visited Neverland!

I think I do have a secret fear of ending up on someones trip report though because this time when we go, we will be PRIME TARGETS!  Scooter, Stroller, baby harness, and I am sure I will get no sleep so I will probably look like a Venti raving lunatic between caring for my Mom and 11 mo old. 

:clint: 

Hmmm.  Your family description sounds promising.  I'll keep an eye out for you.

Looks like it was a fantastic birthday.

Thank you for taking us along with you.

It was a great birthday.

And thanks for coming along for the ride.

Was the Grapefruit beer any good? Worth going for?

I like the grapefruit beer because it's unique. I like grapefruit though.  But, it's my understanding that it is for sale year-round in the Germany pavilion now.  Not worth waiting 30 minutes for it.

"All the Castmembers in the Ireland booth were American, though.  I am not sure how this works.  In the France booth, those CM's are definitely French.  In the Italy booth, the same.  But, then you come to a booth like Ireland, and it's all American kids on the college program.  The China booth seems to be staffed with Chinese people, but the Korean booth is college kids again. Anyone know why?"

A country with a permanent presence in World Showcase uses their international CMs to man the F&W booths. If there isn't a permanent presence they use standard run of the mill CMs.

That makes sense.  I probably would have figured this out eventually.

The only discrepancy I noticed was last year in the Canada booth, the CM's there were definitely not Canadians.  Eh?

That was a great way to spend your birthday.

Looking forward to early morning Fort pics!

Early Fort pics coming up!

Looks like you had a great birthday!

What a perfect birthday!!!!!!!!

I think my 50th birthday celebration topped yours, as mine was with the Wild Womenz.  But yours sounds pretty close! :partythree:

It was a great birthday.

Thanks for the well wishes.

TCD

Well, it's been fun, but we've reached the last morning of our trip.  Time to pack it all up and haul it home.

But, I still had time for a little early morning patrol.

I left the 900 loop just past 7:30 am, and took a look down the main drag just in time to see the sun hitting the tops of the trees across from the 600 loop:

92913621_zps2b89d53b.jpg

I hadn't walked across the 600 loop footbridge all weekend, and I needed to get that done:

92913622_zpsbd051df2.jpg

92913623_zps7eebd599.jpg

All the rain we've had lately has helped with the slime situation in the canals:

92913624_zps1de357ae.jpg

The sun was just rising over the campfire area:

92913625_zpsf19b9941.jpg

All was peaceful and calm in the Meadow Recreation Area:

92913626_zps8b5553ca.jpg

92913627_zps549b87cb.jpg

The crew hadn't even shown up to clean the campfire area from last night:

92913628_zps68516e6f.jpg

Earlier, I posted a photo of the new screen over the sing-a-long stage, but it was from the other side of the seating area.  So, here's one from this side:

92913629_zpsd357b827.jpg

Something is missing from the projection building- do you know what?:

92913630_zps3d6b13b0.jpg

You can see that there used to be two things mounted on the wall here:

92913631_zps0d57158d.jpg

Anyone remember what used to be there?

Does this help?:

IMG_1386.jpg

Just another small change.  But, another unique Fort touch is gone.  I'm probably the only one who noticed or cares.  But, little by little, the things that make the Fort special just disappear.

I always like the movie sign that you can see there on the right.  They used to post the names for all the movies that were going to play that week. There was a slot for each night of the week, and two for Friday and Saturday nights.  That's because they used to play a double feature on Friday and Saturday.  And then, with no warning, they stopped the double features.  No one cared.  There's a little clock at the top of the sign where they showed what time the movie started.  It was the same every night, and only changed with Daylight Savings Time, but still the clock was neat.

Now, if you want to know what movie is playing, you need to go and look at the little sign they have posted over on the Bike Barn side of the seating area.  It's just an unimaginative paper sign that's a blow up of the calendar they give you at check in.

Sunrays were hitting the movie screen:

92913632_zps9ff26c43.jpg

I've always loved the Chuck Wagon:

92913633_zpsa4637da3.jpg

Time to head back across the bridge.  What a beautiful morning it was, just look at the sky! :

92913634_zps2d36be01.jpg

All the new bushes and stuff they planted behind the new sites on the 600 loop have finally grown in to the point that you can barely see the campers on the sites:

92913635_zpsdd7def9e.jpg

I mentioned this early- but I think that also means that the guests with lake view sites don't have a view of the lake so much anymore.

Reflections:

92913636_zps91174d16.jpg

I believe that the proper name of this path is the Path of Awesomeness:

92913637_zpsa9900599.jpg

That path is particularly awesome at this hour of the morning when the lights from the night before are still lit.

Pioneer Hall at sunrise.  Nothing's better:

92913638_zps5debe8d4.jpg

Sun rising along the side of the 400 loop:

92913639_zpsde1a3609.jpg

Compare this photo of the 700 loop taken 9/30/13:

92913640_zpsa1a25c68.jpg

To this one taken 11/07:

FTWilderness014_zps0599eb20.jpg

It took six years, but those bushes they planted back in 2007 have finally filled-in and screen the 700 loop sites pretty well from the road.

From here, I headed back to camp and got the girls going.

The twins loaded up and headed back to school.

My oldest DD was supposed to catch the Magical Express at 8:20.  She was supposed to have ridden the ME from the airport to here.  But I picked her up to save time.  I decided that I would take her back to the airport too.  We still haven't tried Magical Express yet, and I thought it would be a lot less stressful for her if I just dropped her off curbside.  So I did.  It took me less than an hour round trip.

Next up, I return all alone to the site to pack it up.

And make a final loop around the Fort.

TCD

I was thinking when I was reading the TR about some of the things that use to be but have changed or disappeared. One thing that won't change or disappear is our memories of the Fort! I also learned about a moose knuckle and camel toe. Thanks Dave! That's funny! Thanks for sharing I really have enjoyed reading

Sad it is ending...

Yeah, me too. 

It was even sadder for me in person.

I know I've said it before, but early morning is my favorite time at the Fort.  I really love getting up with Anna and going looping in the peace and quiet...sipping my coffee and exploring with her while the rest of the ladies are still snoozing. 

I 100% agree.  I slept a little later than I wanted to a couple of mornings this trip, and regretted not having the feeling of having the Fort to myself.  There is no better way to start the day. 

I love early mornings at the fort too.  Also sad this TR is ending.  Hopefully you have some bonus content for us!

Funny you should mention bonus content.  It turns out I have a couple of posts worth of photos from Twin #1.  I'll post those after I wrap up the report.

Those folks with the green thumb really must have to have vision. Seeing how symmetrical the "fill" worked out is awesome.

I still am not a fan of all the clearing they did, but it is nice to see the new plantings continue to grow and provide some of the privacy that was taken away.

I wish I was waking up at the fort tomorrow instead of going to work.

You and me both. 

I was thinking when I was reading the TR about some of the things that use to be but have changed or disappeared. One thing that won't change or disappear is our memories of the Fort! I also learned about a moose knuckle and camel toe. Thanks Dave! That's funny! Thanks for sharing I really have enjoyed reading

Thanks for reading.  And you're right, nobody can take away our memories.  Still, I am saddened every time one of the little unique touches of the Fort disappears.  It wouldn't be so bad if they added something cool and unique to replace what is taken away.  Instead, we get nothing.  Or something generic.

Early morning is the best.

Can't see too many Path of Awesomeness pics!

That was nice of you to drop her at the airport.

The new canvas looks good.

I dont like that the movie time sign is gone.

That SMB.

Good observations.

Stay tuned for another missing sign.

TCD

Sad this report is ending too...but excited for bonus content!  Do your daughters know they are practically famous!??

I hear everyone wishing they were at the Fort all the time, and our whole family feels the same way.We met a family who although a little nuts, practically live at the Fort and home school all 5 or 6 kids I lost track.  I am jealous. You know I bet if we all sold everything and pooled our money, we could all live at the Fort! Who's in?

Sad this report is ending too...but excited for bonus content!  Do your daughters know they are practically famous!??

I hear everyone wishing they were at the Fort all the time, and our whole family feels the same way.We met a family who although a little nuts, practically live at the Fort and home school all 5 or 6 kids I lost track.  I am jealous. You know I bet if we all sold everything and pooled our money, we could all live at the Fort! Who's in?

Yes, the TCD twins know that they are famous.  They get stopped often and are asked if they are who the guest thinks they are.  There are a lot of lurkers out there.

I would love to live at the Fort.  So far, I haven't figured out a way to do that.  There are people who have.

TCD

Well, here we are.

The end of the line.

Time flies at the Fort.

And it flew especially fast on this trip.

I made it to the airport and back with no issues. I never realized how easy it is to get to the airport from WDW.  Good to know.

I arrived back to the empty camper.

It made me kind of sad.

For the past few years, at least, I've packed up the camper by myself, as the girls would usually go and hit a park while I packed up, and then we would meet up someplace for lunch before heading home.  Before that, when they were too young to go off on their own, they would hang around and "help" me pack.  For some reason, despite all the help, it always took longer that way.  So, me being here by myself to pack up the camper should not have felt any different from previous trips.  But it did.  I knew my girls were all on their way back to their respective colleges.  And I was alone.  There wasn't going to be a meet-up for lunch so we could all load up and head back home.

I've heard others say how sad it is to pack up and leave the Fort.  But, it's never been sad for me.  I always have another trip planned, so I've known as I packed that I would be back, and even when that would be.  This trip, for the first time ever, I had no definite return plans.  That made me really sad.  This is the time of year that we would visit the Fort often- always around Halloween, then Thanksgiving, and then some time during Christmas break.  Last year at this time,  I probably had three Fort reservations for future trips.  This time, I had none.

I packed for a while.  As I did, the last couple of campers from the first part of the loop drove by on their way out.  By around 10 am, I was the only guest left on this half of the loop.  Every site from the beginning of the loop to me was empty (except for that permanent Lazy Days trailer) :

92913641_zpse0938d60.jpg

And every site as far as I could see past me around the loop was empty too:

92913642_zps54d3200c.jpg

This was a strange thing for me to see.  We always visit during holidays.  Or weekends.  I am not usually at the Fort on a Monday morning during a slow time of the year.  I never had the feeling of being alone at my campsite, but this morning I sure did.  It was very serene.

After I finished packing up, I planned to hang around the Fort for a couple of hours before heading home.  I would just loop, take some photos, maybe get some lunch, and then head out.  I've done this before, and usually will move my camper out to the overflow lot when I do.  But, this morning, no castmembers were around cleaning sites, and they clearly weren't checking many guests in to this loop, so I just hitched up and left everything on my site as I looped.

When I checked in on Thursday, I noticed something new in the check-in materials.  I planned to bring it home and scan it, but scanning is a pain, so I decided I would just take photos- good enough.

This is the check-in packet:

92913643_zpsdf4cad32.jpg

For the past few years, those documents used to be packed up in a folder. The folder shrunk in size, but it was still a folder.  Now, everything comes in a pouch type envelope.  You see it there on top in the photo above.

The very small map hasn't changed from what they've been using lately.  This is it:

92913669_zps8e790d52.jpg

92913670_zps2646f312.jpg

That map is ridiculous.  The maps they used to provide used to be 8 1/2" by 11" .  And they used to be oriented to the north, like every other map in the history of earth has been since the days of Magellan.  But, a few years back, a bright young bean counter came up with the idea of saving paper by printing the maps on a half sheet of paper, and turning the map sideways so it would fit better on the page.  I feel sorry for anyone not familiar with the Fort who has to try to use that map. 

I've seen guests driving around on golf carts with those maps in hands, trying to figure out up from down.  Would it be too much to ask to give guests a decent map? This thing is basically a cartoon depiction of the campground.

Anyway, let's get to the new part.  Did you notice that there is no "Directory of Services" in that photo of the packet contents?  The Directory of Services was that little fold-up document they gave you at check in for the past few years.  It had a map, and all kinds of other information about the Fort.  It was all folded up into a little rectangle barely bigger than a credit card.  I presume they did this so guests could stick it in their pockets and carry it around.  That Directory of Services replaced the Fort Wilderness Gazette, which was a newspaper-like publication that had "news" articles and more Fort information than anyone could ever want.  No doubt it was another bean counter who did away with the Gazette.

Now we don't get a Gazette or a Directory of Services, we get this slick black booklet:

92913644_zpsd5ca19ec.jpg

Yee-Haw!  Love the wilderness theming on that booklet!

I'll bet that this is the format used at every other WDW resort.

Anyway, the first page of the booklet is a welcome letter from none other than our good friend, Doug Lord, the General Manager of the Fort:

92913645_zpsd74f80bd.jpg

That's a nice letter.

I like the part where Doug invites us to explore the wilderness.  I will keep a copy of this on me to show the security guards over at the Four Seasons resort when they try to stop me from exploring their lazy river.  Do you know they're going to have a lazy river over there?

The next page in the booklet tells us where we might get some vittles (or is it victuals?) in the Wilderness:

92913646_zps48881dce.jpg

The extended weekend hours of the Meadow Snack Bar aren't mentioned, but that's not the biggest omission.

To make sure we're not missing something, let's look at the next page where the rest of the Fort's food options are listed:

92913647_zpsdd009d79.jpg

Do you know that they have a take-out menu at Trail's End?  Both at breakfast and dinner time?  And that they sell pizza there too?  Of course you do.  But what about the new hungry Fort guest?  I presume the purpose of serving take-out food is to make money.  I presume the purpose of this slick new booklet is to direct guests to places where Disney can take any extra money they may have off of their hands.  So, wouldn't it be a good idea to at least mention the Trail's End take out here?  Wouldn't it, Doug?

Also note on that page above how noncommittal Doug is about the pool hours.  The Gazette used to proudly proclaim that the Fort's pools were open 24 hours a day!  Awesome!  Now, we have to go to the pool to find out when it's open?  Thanks.  Also, note how we have to consult our map to find out the location of the quiet pools  Yeah, it says pools.  Plural.  Really, Doug?

Also missing, under the heading "Massage and Health Club," is any reference to the Sturdy Branches health club right next door at Wilderness Lodge.  Fort guests have free access to that health club.  I guess Doug wants that to be a secret?

The next page tells you where you can play basketball and find playgrounds and other amenities:

92913648_zpsdcd0304a.jpg

I know this is nit-picking, but old Doug forgot about the basketball courts on the 900, 1400 and 1800/1900 loops.  If you're going to list them, why not list them all?

I think there's a typo on this page:

92913649_zpsd1c027c0.jpg

See that part about Complimentary Bus Service to Magic Kingdom Park?  Then right below it, it says where to catch the boat?  I think that's a typo. It should say Complimentary Boat Service to the MK. You can get to the MK by bus from the Fort if you really want to, but this booklet doesn't tell you how (the map does, though- you have to take an bus from the Fort to the Lodge and catch the MK bus there-not the best way to go, but if you want to take a bus, you can).

Then, we have a whole page about the Magical Express. This is probably the same in every resort booklet:

92913650_zps1a22ecd0.jpg

The next page tells us about Wi-Fi:

92913651_zpsf908ce9d.jpg

As you can see, Lazy Doug just used the generic information about Wi-Fi that must appear in every WDW resort guide booklet.  Wouldn't it be nice to use this space to explain to the guests paying $100+ a night to stay on a slab of concrete that there is no Wi-Fi in the camping loops?  And that they need to go and pick up an internet kit if they want to access the internet from their campsites?  How hard would that be, Doug? 

On the very last page, we find something important.  The pet rules for the campground:

92913652_zpsb4d7e92c.jpg

That's it?  That's all the rules there are about pets?  OK.  At least now we know. If there are any other pet rules currently available anywhere else, I haven't seen them.

If you have read prior TCD TR's you may have heard me say that the Fort is run by a bunch of idiots.

People have told me that's a harsh statement.

So, I won't say that.

I don't have to.

Look at that booklet, and draw your own conclusions.

Enough of that.

Time for the final loop.

I went to check out the 2000 loop.  It was pretty empty.  This guy was on the first site:

92913653_zps47266597.jpg

It looks like he might have arrived by plane.  There's a big suitcase under the picnic table.  Well done.

Here's something new:

92913654_zps61aebda3.jpg

92913655_zps35e8ed3b.jpg

That sign is new.

This is the old one, which was there for years, right up until earlier this year:

FW610038.jpg

You see how that old sign directs guests to the Fort Apache playground?

That is a blast from the past.

The playground by the 300 loop used to have a Native American theme.

A long, long time ago.

Now no one will know.

Here's another one of my favorite spots at the Fort:

92913656_zpsde71babf.jpg

I've been known to walk across that bridge for no good reason other than to enjoy walking across it.  On second though, that is a good reason.

Hey, what do you know, I have another photo of Bob's Dock!:

92913657_zps0b73303e.jpg

I came here to visit the Meadow Swimmin' Pool:

92913658_zps8db419f8.jpg

Actually, it was the Meadow Snack Bar that I really came to visit:

92913659_zps12393669.jpg

I wanted to get a drink,  I also wanted to see if my refillable mug was really expired.  So I put my mug on the counter and asked the young lady on duty if I could please have a root beer.  She said sure, and without touching my mug, handed me a paper cup full of root beer.  So, I got my root beer, but I didn't know if my mug was expired.

They've made several changes to the menu here just recently.  These changes were reported by Devores when they happened.  But, since I was here,  I thought I might as well snap a couple of photos:

92913660_zps4324d740.jpg

92913661_zps83e801a3.jpg

That Frontier Sausage sounds like it's worth a try.  But, I wasn't in the mood to spend $10 on lunch today, so I passed.  I also noted that there are no more of those flat breads on the menu. Those were quite the thing on WDW menus for a while.  Now, it's just a nice microwaved frozen pizza.

If you pay attention to this site, you would know that they recently announced extended hours on weekends for the Meadow Snack Bar.  The extended hours are posted here:

92913663_zps29e8c83b.jpg

Lazy Doug should have mentioned these in that new booklet, don't you think?  Does it make sense to let guests know about something like this in the booklet you are giving them to inform them about what's available at the resort?

You want to see something amazing?  Even though it was early afternoon on a beautiful sunny day, there were just a handful of guests at the pool, and not a single person waiting to use the slide:

92913664_zps67fb1a03.jpg

I eventually ended up at Pioneer Hall for a final visit there.

I saw something there that I've never seen before in all my years visiting the Fort.

The golf cart parking area there was completely empty:

92913665_zps40c8cb1a.jpg

92913666_zps34cc9c82.jpg

92913667_zpsde12a6b5.jpg

Wow.

I found out here that my mug was no longer valid.

I paid for three days, and that's what I got.

Well, except for that free root beer earlier.

From here, I headed back to my site.

I ran in to Mr. and Mrs. Troll there right before I left.

They rubbed it in that they had another week left in their trip, and I was leaving.

It was all in good fun though.  I like the Trolls.  I was glad I got to see them on this trip.

And, then I hopped in the truck and headed west.

That's all there is to tell.

Thanks for reading.

Remember to check back for some bonus photos.

TCD

I know the sadness of leaving the Fort not knowing when we will be back all too well.  On our last visit, my kids thought I was crazy because not only did I loop around a million times on our last morning, but also drove around the whole place with the truck before exiting for good.

Now, the part of not having kids go home with me, I cannot relate to at all.  I am sad for you.  I know my turn will come all too soon, and it's just a part of life, but it won't be easy.

I loved those little fold-up brochures.  Glad I've saved a few over the years since they're not making them any more.  

Wow, that update was all melancholy and infinite sadness. 

Nice Smashing Pumpkins reference!

I used to get sad leaving Disney, until I got married and had kids.

I guess knowing that you live in proximity, and having your family in the truck with you kind of stems the post-trip let down, and I can totally see how once that changes, you sort of get back to that sad place where the seats are empty again. I get it.

Wow!  I wish hey would stop changing things. Can we vote Doug out or something? They have no idea how the little things mean so much.  Glad I saved all our folded up brochures from past trips. They keep it up and we might as well stay at an all star.

On a happier note, Just wait until you start having trips with.......GRANDKIDS!  You will get to start the whole process over! AND with kids you can give back when you need a break. How awesome will that be!  Just look at this slow time as a breather for when the chaos starts allover again. La Vida Es Buena.

Wow, that update was all melancholy and infinite sadness. 

So this is some kind of reference to some song from a hippie band?  How did you think I would get that? 

For the record, I didn't.

Sorry if that last update made you sad.  But that's how I felt that day.

Really, I'm not sad.  I will miss our days of frequent Fort visits, but there are many good times still to look forward to.

Ditto Dave.

Ditto my response to Dave. 

I know the sadness of leaving the Fort not knowing when we will be back all too well.  On our last visit, my kids thought I was crazy because not only did I loop around a million times on our last morning, but also drove around the whole place with the truck before exiting for good.

Now, the part of not having kids go home with me, I cannot relate to at all.  I am sad for you.  I know my turn will come all too soon, and it's just a part of life, but it won't be easy.

I loved those little fold-up brochures.  Glad I've saved a few over the years since they're not making them any more.  

You are entirely on a different level than me, having sold your trailer and moved out of state.  At least my PUP is waiting loyally in the garage for the next adventure.  My only problem is getting the adventure planned.  I figure if I get really desperate, a solo day trip wouldn't be too weird.

And, strangely, although I miss having the kids around, I am not sad about them being away at school. I'm happy for them.  They are all doing what they wanted to do.  And having the times of their lives.  Plus, there's plenty of hot water now.  And we hardly ever have to buy toilet paper or do laundry.  Life is good.

I never really warmed to those little folding brochures.  I'm old school.  I want the Gazette.

Nice Smashing Pumpkins reference!

I used to get sad leaving Disney, until I got married and had kids.

I guess knowing that you live in proximity, and having your family in the truck with you kind of stems the post-trip let down, and I can totally see how once that changes, you sort of get back to that sad place where the seats are empty again. I get it.

Smashing Pumpkins?

Went right over my head!

As I said above, the place I'm at is much more happy than it is sad.  My kids are college age now, and they're at college. They are where they should be.  I would be much sadder, I believe, if they were at home watching TV on the couch and eating my chips.

But, don't get me wrong, if I could turn back time and hold it there for just a couple more years, I would.

Wow!  I wish hey would stop changing things. Can we vote Doug out or something? They have no idea how the little things mean so much.  Glad I saved all our folded up brochures from past trips. They keep it up and we might as well stay at an all star.

On a happier note, Just wait until you start having trips with.......GRANDKIDS!  You will get to start the whole process over! AND with kids you can give back when you need a break. How awesome will that be!  Just look at this slow time as a breather for when the chaos starts allover again. La Vida Es Buena.

I think Doug is entrenched.  He's saved them a butt load of money by cutting out the things that make the Fort special, and Disney is all about the bottom line.  Who cares if they can't get the details is a simple brochure right?  It only affects the guests.  Who cares about them?

I look forward to grandkids, but not anytime too soon.  I've already decided that I'm keeping the camper, and I'm going to be that guy camping with his grandkids at the Fort with the 30 year old camper.

And I told Rocky he could go sometime.  I've got to plan that trip.

TCD