Happy Fall Y'all! TCD's September 2013 Not So Scary TR

I think at this point after seeing all of the pictures you and other post of the different places to see at the Fort I run the risk of being disappointed when we get down there in a couple summers. I will be wondering around looking for all the things I see here and be bummed when I can't find\see them. Hey wait, now that the twins are out and on their own you should start a Fort tours business. People can schedule you for a day or two to show them around the Fort... I think I'm on to something here.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you will still have 3 very expensive princess dresses to buy. And the color is white.

Lol. Only a southerner knows what "bless your heart..." Really means.

Ray I know you warned us, But you still owe me that 3:45 of my life back. 

I love love LOVE the MNSSHP!!! I know it's not cheap, but totally worth it to me. We had such a blast last year and can't wait to go again. I'm not really a huge parade fan, but that one is a doozy! And the fireworks are nothing short of spectacular! Glad you guys got to go. 

And btw - I'm a born and bred Yankee, but I say y'all too. Which is weird cause I'm from Pittsburgh where the thing to say is "Yinz". I've never said Yinz, but I drop Y'all quite often. 

Anyway...onward Disney soldier!

Awwww love the comparison shots of Twin 1 and little Rocky.

Thanks.  Me too.  It's hard to believe that 31/2 years passed in between those photos.  Kids and dogs grow up too fast!

I think at this point after seeing all of the pictures you and other post of the different places to see at the Fort I run the risk of being disappointed when we get down there in a couple summers. I will be wondering around looking for all the things I see here and be bummed when I can't find\see them. Hey wait, now that the twins are out and on their own you should start a Fort tours business. People can schedule you for a day or two to show them around the Fort... I think I'm on to something here.

I should offer Fort tours.

But, it's more fun to go out and discover things on your own.  Maybe you won't find everything that I have, but maybe you'll find something I haven't.

I love love LOVE the MNSSHP!!! I know it's not cheap, but totally worth it to me. We had such a blast last year and can't wait to go again. I'm not really a huge parade fan, but that one is a doozy! And the fireworks are nothing short of spectacular! Glad you guys got to go. 

And btw - I'm a born and bred Yankee, but I say y'all too. Which is weird cause I'm from Pittsburgh where the thing to say is "Yinz". I've never said Yinz, but I drop Y'all quite often. 

Anyway...onward Disney soldier!

I remembered your parade spot, and wanted to try to get there, but the night we visited was way too busy, and we didn't try to claim a spot early enough.

When I lived in NJ, nobody said Y'all.  I think it's a more popular saying now than it used to be. 

Castles have BALLrooms

Oh, I get it now.

That is a Hoop Dee Doo Revue quality joke.  It went completely over my head.

Good job.

TCD

I thought somebody would remember and post a photo of the four hard sided Coleman camper I've been remembering.

But nobody did.

So, I had to do my own Google-ing.

I found it.

It turns out that Fleetwood manufactured it in 2008, after it had lost the right to call its campers Coleman campers, so it was just a Fleetwood Folding Trailer. They called it a Tacoma:

2008FleetwoodTacoma_zps995156cf.jpg

I even found a video that showed what the very cramped interior looked like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u63V3TpELQc

As far as I can tell, there was no similar trailer manufactured under the Coleman brand.  So, it looks like FWG was right- this was a big modification made by the trailer owner.  But, I think I know where he got the idea.

TCD

I think those bananas are for the suckers guests on the DDP.

I don't think they actually expect anyone to pay for them.

TCD

See, those bananas look just right to me.  Nice and sweet. Yum!

92913347_zps48c4082a.jpg

It's hard to believe it's been 3 1/2 years.

Where does the time go?

It flies.

Especially as your kids get older.

If you have kids at home, do me a favor and give them a hug today.  Same if you have a dog.  And, plan a camping trip.  Blink, and 3 1/2 years will fly by.

I'm not even kidding.

TCD

I can't believe it has been three years since I have been camping with my family.  I will hug them all today and continue to pray for a camping trip in the near future.  (In my defense, I did plan to take them to SM, but dh bailed and then kept hte kids home with him.)

Oh, and the picture is there because my huasband was shocked to see such an old, rusty garabe can on WDW property.  I told him that's because we are just filthy campers. 

Loving all the pix.

Do you know the history behind the old cabin?

Of course you do. What is it?

Let's see if i have been paying attention. This was the first test Cabin at the Fort. They wanted to see how cabins would do. It was originally, I believe, in another place possibly the 100 loop. They decided to go with the trailers and then the current cabins so it was moved out here. I think it might have been used for a time for activities and with the old Wilderness Trail. When the Halloween carriage rides were being done they piped in scary music from the cabin. I believe last year TCD posted pics of the inside shot through a window and it is now a collecton of stuff. 

How close did I get TCD?

Why do I get the feeling you've never bought into my theories regarding Iranian nuclear experiments at the Fort? 

Sorry for doubting you.

One of these days, they're going to launch their attack, and then all of us who have been laughing at you behind your back are going to be sorry.

See, those bananas look just right to me.  Nice and sweet. Yum!

I can't believe it has been three years since I have been camping with my family.  I will hug them all today and continue to pray for a camping trip in the near future.  (In my defense, I did plan to take them to SM, but dh bailed and then kept hte kids home with him.)

Oh, and the picture is there because my huasband was shocked to see such an old, rusty garabe can on WDW property.  I told him that's because we are just filthy campers. 

I'll save my black bananas for you.  I don't like it when they start to get mushy-I don't care how sweet they are.

I didn't even notice the condition of the trash can.  I'm slipping.  Good catch.

The two vents on the pop up are for the built in fridge. A very small fridge at that.

Love walking the dogs behind the 800 loop. There are always deer just across the ditch in the early mornings.

Yes, those vents are for a three way fridge, I've got the same ones on my camper.  But, over to the right, that hatch is for a water heater.  At least I think it is.  Here's my analysis:

hatterasannotated_zps2e5e5f50.jpg

Can you imagine how bad that garbage must smell??  I'd hate to be the guy that has to change that bag. 

I didn't think about the smell of the garbage.  Thanks.

I'll bet that can doesn't get changed very often either.

Ewwww.

Loving all the pix.

Do you know the history behind the old cabin?

Of course you do. What is it?

Thank you for your vote of confidence.

You're right-I know.

I'll make that a special post.

I have to did up some photos from the TCD archives, so please stand by.

Let's see if i have been paying attention. This was the first test Cabin at the Fort. They wanted to see how cabins would do. It was originally, I believe, in another place possibly the 100 loop. They decided to go with the trailers and then the current cabins so it was moved out here. I think it might have been used for a time for activities and with the old Wilderness Trail. When the Halloween carriage rides were being done they piped in scary music from the cabin. I believe last year TCD posted pics of the inside shot through a window and it is now a collecton of stuff. 

How close did I get TCD?

Not bad, grasshopper.

You have a couple of details wrong, but you got the overall picture.  I give you a B+ for that answer.  It proves that you've been paying attention.

The cabin that currently sits there was a test cabin, but that test was independent of the rental trailers and cabins.  This test cabin actually was placed on a camping loop.  It was the 1200 loop, and the Wilderness Homes and Cabins were in use well before that test took place.

There was a different cabin in that area before this one was placed there.  This one was at one time used for education programs that were conducted in the area, in conjunction with the old Wilderness Swamp Trail.  Now, it's just used for storage, and there are speakers in there that could be used to play the MK Fireworks soundtrack for guests on wagon rides.  I'm not sure if they still bother with using the speakers anymore.

I'm gathering some photos for a more detailed post about the old cabin.  I'll get those posted in just a bit.

TCD

OK, let's talk about that old cabin for a minute.

I'll tell you what I know.

There used to be a boardwalk that was connected to something called the Wilderness Swamp Trail.  The boardwalk began right behind where the old cabin stands.

Back in the early days of the Fort, there used to be an activity they called Marshmallow Marsh.  What it involved was guests loading into canoes in the area of the current Bike Barn, and paddling them through the Fort's canals out to this area.  There, they would dock the canoes, and visit a campfire area, where a cowboy would sing to them, and they would roast marshmallows.  Then they would load back in the canoes and paddle back.

The Marshmallow Marsh area is shown on this very accurate old map.  Note that there is a cabin shown in the area:

oldfortmap_zps5b325b47.jpg

I don't remember where I swiped this photo from, but it shows the old dock and the dam in the days before the black fence guys went to town:

marshmallowmarsh5_zpsa9bc8f77.jpg

It's kind of interesting that we are looking at this old photo, because that new pump they installed is where the old Marshmallow Marsh dock used to be.  That seems about right for the Fort- to hell with the old stuff and tradition and fun stuff for guests to do- let's install a pump!

This old photo shows the original Marshmallow Marsh cabin- the area you see in the background is the dam and bridge:

marshmallowmarsh7_zpsf23da3ba.jpg

In the late '90's there was a brief experiment conducted where they placed a KOA style cabin on the 1200 loop and rented it out to guests. The cabin did not have a bathroom.  It was just a small wooden cabin plopped on a campsite. It looked like this:

oldcabin_zps233c4006.jpg

That cabin was not on the 1200 loop for long- it was probably less than a year.  Most of us believe that the cabin out by the canal is this old experimental rental cabin, and that it was moved out there to replace the old Marshmallow Marsh cabin.

The cabin and surrounding area was not always run down.  When the TCD gang became regular Fort visitors around the year 2000, there were benches and tables and other things set up back in that area.  They used to offer scout groups education programs, and they would come out here, hike the swamp trail, and learn stuff.  Those benches and things disappeared a few years back, and the cabin basically has been left to rot.  Letting stuff rot is a popular option with current Fort management.

For a while, up until just a couple of years ago, the cabin was used as a prop for the special Halloween Hay Rides and Carriage rides that the Fort used to offer every October.  I guess those weren't profitable enough, so they've been done away with, and the cabin isn't used for that purpose.

I once took a peek inside the cabin, and there were speakers and audio equipment that could be used to provide the soundtrack for the MK fireworks for guests who might come out here to watch the fireworks.  They used to pipe in the sound back here regularly.  But, I don't think they do anymore.

That's it in a nutshell.

TCD

marshmallowmarsh5_zpsa9bc8f77.jpg

It's kind of interesting that we are looking at this old photo, because that new pump they installed is where the old Marshmallow Marsh dock used to be.  That seems about right for the Fort- to hell with the old stuff and tradition and fun stuff for guests to do- let's install a pump!

This old photo shows the original Marshmallow Marsh cabin- the area you see in the background is the dam and bridge:

marshmallowmarsh7_zpsf23da3ba.jpg

Some more of my random thoughts

I always envisioned that dock on the other side of the cancel. Why make people walk across the bridge?  

I think Disney gets some merriment from making us walk or drive the long way around to get anywhere.

The water in Bay lake looks kind of high in photo but maybe it's just the angle and how did they get that shot anyway.

In the old days were guest allowed to drive the carts around the dirt paths or is that some of TCD's ancestors?

People on this board sure come up with some cool photos.  

Some more of my random thoughts

I always envisioned that dock on the other side of the cancel. Why make people walk across the bridge?  

I think Disney gets some merriment from making us walk or drive the long way around to get anywhere.

The water in Bay lake looks kind of high in photo but maybe it's just the angle and how did they get that shot anyway.

In the old days were guest allowed to drive the carts around the dirt paths or is that some of TCD's ancestors?

People on this board sure come up with some cool photos.  

Good observations.  I never thought about the Marshmallow Marsh dock placement, but you're right.  Maybe walking across the bridge added to the ambience? 

The water level in both the lake and canal looks higher than it typically is these days.

My Fort experiences don't go all the way back to the old days, but I do remember that you could take your carts a lot more places than they let you now.  When we first became regular Fort visitors, you were allowed to drive your golf cart to the Lodge, and all around the horse barn/petting zoo area- including down that mulch path to River Country.  Little by little the No Cart signs have gone up.  Most recently, they stopped letting carts drive around the campfire area and over the bridge behind the Meadow Trading Post, and also blocked off the direct access to the 100 loop.  I dislike all of these changes.

TCD

Update time.

It's still Saturday.

And the whole TCD gang is hanging at the Fort.

There was looping.

And football watching.

And dog walking.

But, unfortunately for you, not a lot of photo taking.

I did snap this photo from the back of my site on the 900 loop to show this tent set up way behind a site on the 800 loop.  More proof that the rumor that tents are not permitted on premium loops is false:

92913361_zpsa1b50a1d.jpg

I'll bet some of you are wondering something.

Those of you who remember that the 900 loop has its very own tetherball pole.

Where are the Rocky playing tetherball photos?

Here they are:

92913363_zpsef0ffead.jpg

92913365_zps6950fd6f.jpg

92913366_zpsb3fa8819.jpg

92913369_zps72e1687f.jpg

I think that's enough.

Let me know if you want more.  I have more.

We still don't have this year's Christmas card photo yet.  Most of the time, we take a group shot when we're at the beach.  We didn't all go to the beach this summer, though.  And, there really wasn't a great group shot from our cruise.

Nobody's panicking yet.  We always come up with something.  But, I suggested we take a group shot.  Nobody really wanted to, but they will all usually humor me.

So here we go:

92913375_zps0d684cad.jpg

That's the best we could do.

Whenever there's a group shot, the deal is that everybody gets to do one making a funny face.  Here's that:

groupshot_zps96fc3c33.jpg

I hope Troll doesn't read this report.  I think I see a Duck Face.  Maybe two.

Needless to say, we still don't have our Christmas card picture yet.

I made the mistake of setting my camera down after the group shot.

And found these when I picked it back up:

92913381_zpsf01e5261.jpg

92913382_zps728f2aa4.jpg

92913383_zpsc194ead1.jpg

92913386_zps0ea553ee.jpg

Once again, I have plenty more of that type of photo if anyone wants more. Sorry about the duck faces.

We tried to recreate a photo of Rocky in the hammock.  I lifted him in there a couple of times, but he jumped out before anyone could take the photo:

92913387_zps32b30021.jpg

Rocky was having a great day:

92913389_zpsedef20a9.jpg

rocky3_zps7b707790.jpg

As evening approached, Mrs. TCD and I entered into extensive discussions about our plans.  One option was for she and Rocky to spend the night, have breakfast and head home in the morning.  Another option was for them to hit the road before dinner and get home and sleep in at home.  Mrs. TCD chose option two.  So, just before dinner time, they loaded up and headed back home:

92913392_zps539efc79.jpg

That was the best plan for all of us. 

We had something important to do this evening.

We needed a GAG.  That's a take-out chicken dinner from Trail's End. You might be a newbie reading along wondering why it's called a GAG.  They call the meal the Giddyap And Go- and we call it the GAG.

We broke tradition on this trip, and didn't have our GAG on night one. If you remember, that's the night we went to the Food and Wine Festival.  And then on night two, we went to the Not So Scary Halloween Party.  That is not how we typically roll.

We needed a GAG.

And tonight was the night.

I went down and ordered it.

I did a little experimentation with my Rapid Fill mug:

92913394_zps14e0ddb8.jpg

92913393_zps46ca99b9.jpg

FWG reported that there is no limit on the number of refills you can make in a certain time.  He reported filling a cup of lemonade, chugging it down, and then refilling.  Well, I tried that.  It worked at first, but then I did get a display telling me I needed to wait.  So, there is some kind of time limit.  Once you hit that, you have to wait for two minutes before your next refill:

92913668_zpsd25bb7bc.jpg

One thing that I really dislike about this new set up is that you have to place your mug on the little holders you see there on the machine.  If you don't, the display tells you to place your mug on the tray. The machine can't read the RFID chip unless the mug is sitting right on that tray. If it isn't, no soda for you.  The problem is that those trays are covered with sticky soda from the people who used the machine before you, and pulled their mug away when the soda was still dispensing.  They are a sticky mess.  And the bottom of your mug is too after you use them.  Gross.

The other thing of note about my mug is you can see the display says that my mug is good until September 30th.  I bought it on Friday morning, September 27th, and the sign at the Meadow Trading Post said the days purchased are calendar days. That means if you buy your mug at night, and pay for only one day, it isn't going to be good in the morning.  I paid for three calendar days, so my mug should have only been good on Friday the 27th, Saturday the 28th, and Sunday the 29th. Yet, the display on the machine said it was good until the 30th.  Did I get an extra day somehow? Nope. I'll tell you now so you're not wondering, but when I tried to use the mug on the 30th, the display told me my mug was invalid and I needed to see a Castmember.  No soda for me on the 30th.  Now I know that until means until the clock strikes midnight on the 30th. 

One last thing about the self-serve drink area- they don't have enough room for the new Joffrey's coffee.  In the morning, they set up two of the big decanters with regular and decaf on this shelf:

92913400_zps45c221ae.jpg

But, as you can see, in the evening, they use that shelf for supplies for the take out meals.

In the evening, they just serve the coffee out of this one decanter:

92913399_zps5a443d4c.jpg

I guess if you want decaf, you need to wait until morning.

For research purposes, I ordered an extra large side of Mac and Cheese with the GAG, and got it with no problem:

92913507_zps2b75ba26.jpg

While waiting for our GAG, we took a quick golf cart ride around the area.

We saw a bunch of deer near the path to the Lodge:

92913395_zpsbb67b52c.jpg

I have a big photo gap here.

I remember what happened is that we got our food, went back to the site, and ate it.  The twins went to the MK, and I stayed back at the site and watched football with the oldest TCD DD.  I may have even enjoyed a few beers.

Everybody was happy.

Around midnight, the twins texted me and said they were on the boat to the Fort, we went and picked them up with the cart.

On the way to the Settlement, we saw a huge group of deer grazing around the Settlement bus stop area.

On the way back, we stopped to watch them.  They really didn't seem to be scared of people.  I'm not so sure how well you can see this, but when they heard a bus approaching, they moved out in single file, and crossed the road and hopped the fence, one at a time.  Like those sheep you're supposed to count when you're not sleepy:

92913409_zpsd09e55d0.jpg

We did a little late night looping, and found this Mater golf cart at a site on the 800 loop.  The twins had spotted it driving around earlier in the trip, but we hadn't been able to find it in the Fort again until just now:

92913414_zps72e1814d.jpg

92913415_zps0697bf66.jpg

Whoever did that did a great job.  They didn't modify the stock cart much, but it looks great.

The last item on our agenda was an after midnight golf cart ride to the Wilderness Lodge, but that's against the rules, so we won't discuss that any further.

And that was our Saturday.

Don't go away yet, though.

I finally got up for the sunrise on Sunday.  And we hit a park for rope drop.  By the end of the day, we had visited three parks, and closed down the last one with evening EMH's.  It was a long day, and there are a lot of photos.

TCD

I do not think that's a water heater hatch. If it was, there would be a vent on it.

Like this

6261APW.jpg

Its hard to see, but I don't see the vents on that hatch. It could just be a cover to protect other hookups like cable.

The yellow cord could be a power cord for the a/c unit they have in there. Notice the vent in the window to the left. They have an a/c unit.

I do not think that's a water heater hatch. If it was, there would be a vent on it.

Like this

6261APW.jpg

Its hard to see, but I don't see the vents on that hatch. It could just be a cover to protect other hookups like cable.

The yellow cord could be a power cord for the a/c unit they have in there. Notice the vent in the window to the left. They have an a/c unit.

You're right. I have a hatch like that on my camper for my water heater, and I have that grate on mine.

I didn't notice the AC vent.

I wonder how the owner of this unit would feel if he ever found out that we are discussing his camper like this?

Probably freaked out.  That's how.

TCD

Loving this report.

Love Rocky.  I vote more tetherball photos!

Love the then and now stuff that you do with your trips.

That Tow Mater cart is awesome.  They even included the hook!  I like that idea but not sure if I'd want my cart to look like that all of the time.

Thank you for once again going off the beaten path, taking photos and finding cool facts about the Fort.  I will try to remember all of this when I return so I can imagine it myself.

Great family photos.  I like the second one best.  You should use that one.  But, I am guessing the Mrs. probably has the final say and that one won't fly.  So, I will offer and unsolicited suggestion:  either a.)  take a group shot with each daughter wearing a shirt from their current school and you & Mrs. TCD in one from your alma mater - Rocky in the 3rd school's colors; or b.)  have each daughter get someone to photograph them standing in front of her current school's main entry sign wearing school colors and you and your wife have a photo taken back at home with Rocky, then make a collage of all 4 photos.  All of the photo sites make collages very easy to do.

I need to back up to the "OG" comments.

I didn't want to tarnish my last post full of compliments with negative remarks so am making a new one.  

No, I didn't know what OG stood for.  Thank you for filling me in on the 50 cent piece.  (ha ha see what I did there?)

I'd heard of him, but did not know any of his songs.  Just that he's a rap artist.  And I use the term artist very loosely in this case.

I am not, nor have I ever been, a fan of rap music.  Not even back in "my day" when Run DMC & others were popular.  I don't knock anyone if that is what they enjoy, however I will never feel foolish for not getting a reference to that genre.  

So, pick on me all you want, old man.  Because you and I both know the only reason you picked up on that is thanks to your 3 hip daughters.  

So there.  :raspberry:

I think you have a great Christmas card photo right there.

We'll see.  Come late November, early December, I might be agreeing with you.

Ummm....no GAG pic?  :popo:

Sorry.

Fail.

The lighting was bad?

Not really. I was hungry and wanted to eat, not take photos.

Loving this report.

Love Rocky.  I vote more tetherball photos!

Love the then and now stuff that you do with your trips.

That Tow Mater cart is awesome.  They even included the hook!  I like that idea but not sure if I'd want my cart to look like that all of the time.

Thank you for once again going off the beaten path, taking photos and finding cool facts about the Fort.  I will try to remember all of this when I return so I can imagine it myself.

Great family photos.  I like the second one best.  You should use that one.  But, I am guessing the Mrs. probably has the final say and that one won't fly.  So, I will offer and unsolicited suggestion:  either a.)  take a group shot with each daughter wearing a shirt from their current school and you & Mrs. TCD in one from your alma mater - Rocky in the 3rd school's colors; or b.)  have each daughter get someone to photograph them standing in front of her current school's main entry sign wearing school colors and you and your wife have a photo taken back at home with Rocky, then make a collage of all 4 photos.  All of the photo sites make collages very easy to do.

Good idea about the Christmas card.  So far two of the girls got photos at football games with the school mascot.  We might be using those photos in a collage, with a group shot of all of us at this year's UF/FSU game. 

Twin #1 designed our Christmas card last year herself using a desktop publishing program.  Hopefully, we can bribe her to do it this year too.

I need to back up to the "OG" comments.

I didn't want to tarnish my last post full of compliments with negative remarks so am making a new one.  

No, I didn't know what OG stood for.  Thank you for filling me in on the 50 cent piece.  (ha ha see what I did there?)

I'd heard of him, but did not know any of his songs.  Just that he's a rap artist.  And I use the term artist very loosely in this case.

I am not, nor have I ever been, a fan of rap music.  Not even back in "my day" when Run DMC & others were popular.  I don't knock anyone if that is what they enjoy, however I will never feel foolish for not getting a reference to that genre.  

So, pick on me all you want, old man.  Because you and I both know the only reason you picked up on that is thanks to your 3 hip daughters.  

So there.  :raspberry:

Wow, you nailed it.

I secretly hate rap music too.  Not dislike.  Hate. I don't understand it, and I think rap "artists" are a bunch of fools.

But, I keep up appearances.  Here's me rocking my T-Pain shirt in Tally back when the oldest TCD DD was a freshman:

FSUvUSF92609005.jpg

Word to your mother.

TCD