FWGuy's Trip Report - This Ain't Yo Momma's Trip Report

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am sorting the few pictures I have now, and will start the report. Suffice it to say, it won't be your typical "We went to the Magic Kingdom today and I had a hot dog at Pecos Bills that was so yum

I'm late, but I'm here.  I love going down 81 from the North East.  84 out to 81 and 81 to 26 to 95.  Am I missing one?  The motorhome knows the way, I set the cruise and go play games with the rest o

That's because I left out all the yummy desserts and boring details of the bus rides. You got the highlights. Everything else was just fluff. The frequent and all day rains forced us to cancel a

To Florida and Back:

Everybody from the Northeast knows and hates the DC beltway and Richmond during rush hour. The bypass around Richmond is long and crappy. So I have, in the past, taken 81 to 77 to 26 to 95, but never with a trailer. This was the first time towing, and in a nutshell, if you want something to see besides the billboards on 95 (which SMB except for the Pedro ones), you like Virginia (because you will be in it for a loooooonnnnnng time), you don't mind long hills and fog, but you want to avoid the nightmare of the afore mentioned areas on 95 and don't feel like getting up at 10pm and driving all night in order to hit DC at 3 am, then this is the route for you. The books say it will add about an hour to your drive, which is pure BS. It added a good 2-3 hours and 100 miles to the trip, but I got up at a normal time both days and drove in the daylight, and the couple of big hills were not so bad if you aren't in a hurry. Nice scenery, only big city is Charlotte which we did hit during rush hour on Wednesday but wasn't too bad.

We stayed the first night south of Charlotte just over the SC border at the Fort Mill KOA. It cost 37 bucks without a discount card, and was an easy on/off from 77 and almost exactly halfway from the FWGuy ranch to the Fort. Bathrooms were clean, and they gave you a code to use on the bathroom door but there is a big hole in the door where the lock should be so you didn't need it. Somebody should tell the owner, since he seems to be clueless about this. Same story on the return trip, except the price went up 10 bucks but it was a weekend. The girl at check in on the way back was pretty ignorant when it came to assigning spots. It took her 20 minutes of saying "nope, that won't work" before we finally go in. The seasonals there are rude and self important. At one point I had about an 8 foot wide space to fit an 8 and a half foot wide trailer because some jerk was sitting in the road in their camp chair by a fire and wouldn't move. My apologies to the kid whose bike I ran over, but it beat the dent the lady in the chair would have put in my truck. They claim they have WIFI accessible all over and no password needed. They don't need a password because the WIFI worked as well as the bathroom door lock. All in all, I would stay there again because of the cleanliness and easy access to the highway, but it would not be my first choice as a destination. By the way, there is a Publix right next door. Sweet.

We arrived at FW on Thursday about 4 pm. Like Andrew said in his report, NO LINES!!!!!! Only one check in open, 2 CM's, no waiting. I reported earlier we were in the 1800 loop. That was a smoke screen to keep my adoring fans at bay. I occupied my usual site on the 3000 loop. Here is the official map to keep you oriented.

5D2Brkn.jpg

Our site was lakefront, as are all 3000 loop sites.

GxexDIf.jpg

Bird in the lake which entertained the dogs. He was delicious.

1Hr6XjJ.jpg

So much for travel and the site. More later, including

TWERKING AT EPCOT!!!!!!!

A Little More - The Boys Stake Their Claims:

I set up the front of the trailer like I used to for Mickey as the dog cave, but these guys had other ideas.

Buddy has got to be the only Golden Retriever who does not like the outdoors. He likes to look out side, but doesn't actually like to be there. So he goes to the bed and looks out the window.

VObeW8j.jpg

Murphy took over the sofa. I did not get to sit there much.

C2mIwCa.jpg

Here's a picture of FWGirl and the boys. You can see by the window it was raining. We had a couple days we hunkered down at the Fort due to the weather. I will have more comments on that later.

ue35qS5.jpg

If you have ever stayed at WL you may recognize the bedspread. It is from there. I did not steal it. I bought it for 5 bucks from a guy who did. Not really. I bought it from that place that buys all the old Disney crap and then resells it. It is a really nice bedspread.

You can see 77 from my house so it is the obvious route for us to take south.  You think Virginia had some hills, try WVa!

We have stopped at the Fort Mill KOA many a time and you described it perfectly, but it does have a decent pool and jumping pillow which are key when cooping 4 kids in the cab of an F350 all day long.  One time we stayed there the Mexican circus was in town and staying there.  Weird.  We didn't hang around too long come morning.

You can see 77 from my house so it is the obvious route for us to take south.  You think Virginia had some hills, try WVa!

We have stopped at the Fort Mill KOA many a time and you described it perfectly, but it does have a decent pool and jumping pillow which are key when cooping 4 kids in the cab of an F350 all day long.  One time we stayed there the Mexican circus was in town and staying there.  Weird.  We didn't hang around too long come morning.

I would have paid twice the rate to stay at a KOA with the Mexican circus!!!!!

This is off to a great start.  The pics of the dogs lounging in the trailer are awesome.  They are a couple of beautiful dogs for sure.  And I know Mickey was there in spirit.  That's a great picture of him on his last camping trip.  The GG at Defeated Creek last month was the first time we have EVER camped without our Daisy since before we were married 19 years ago.  It was really strange getting out of bed in the morning and not having to step over her.  I was just used to it, without realizing it.  For years, I ALWAYS had to quietly slip out of bed without waking kids or stepping on Daisy.  It made me sad. 

Anyways, love the bedspread.  Thank you for the coffee review.  On with the report.

Let's talk about some Disney food for a minute. Now usually I am a strong supporter of Disney food. Yeah, it's pricey but usually the quality is good and the portions are decent. For the most part, it was on this trip. I have my favorites and try new things when possible, and on this trip, that is where it got ugly.

On Monday we went to Epcot center. Here is my all time favorite country. I could spend all day here. It has beer. It has German food. It has beer. It has German girls in dirndls. It has beer. It looks like the Germany I remember. And one more thing. It has beer.

PjWDmRV.jpg

I had a tasty Oktoberfest brew. Wow, was that good. It was freakin hot that day. Now comes the ugly. I wanted to try that new sandwich at Sommerfest. The reuben. You would expect some great sauerkraut, right? Some good meat, hearty toasted bread, good cheese. It had none of this. It was bad. The bread was bad. The meat was bad. The cheese was bad. The kraut was bad. It was a bad sandwich. I was pissed. It was over 8 bucks. I had another beer. Now keep in mind this was before food and wine so I didn't have a lot of options, but I wish I had the brat. Speaking of brats, the local German restaurant is having 5 dollar beer and brats this month during happy hour Monday thru Friday. I took FWGirl there tonight. It was good. But I digress. DO NOT WASTE YOUR 8 AND A HALF BUCKS ON THE REUBEN AT SOMMERFEST!!!!!

Always a good deal is the Nachos at that outdoor place in Mexico. We always share it and it is good.

Another great deal is lunch at Cosmic Rays. 9.99 for the half rotissierie chicken with garlic mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables. I always seem to go during green bean season. And you get a show with Sonny Eclipse and the Space Angels. Man, I can't get enough of that Sonny Eclipse.

Mainstreet popcorn is a must.

We had lunch at Grand Floridian with friends. I had this chicken sandwich with grilled onions, some kind of green weed on it and some sauce and it was amazing. I would have eaten another one. I don't remember what it was called, but if you go to the Grand Floridian Cafe for lunch it is the only chicken sandwich on the menu. Order it. Unless you don't like griilled chicken. Then order something else.

GAG. It is great. What is there not to like? 10 pieces of delicious fried chicken, not too greasy, corn bread, cole slaw and Disney mac and cheese. We ate on it for 3 meals and there was some for chicken on the dog's kibble. Disney mac and cheese is the only mac and cheese that actually tastes good microwaved the next day. For schizzle. I would make a meal of the chicken skin alone if I could.

Off site we grazed one day with friends at a place called Sweet Tomatoes. A salad/soup bar joint. It was okay, but I am a carnivore and coulld have used some road kill. They did have a great spiced pumpkin cobbler for dessert. Put a little soft serve ice cream on it and it was almost better than sex.

Ghiradhelli's gave me my chocolate sample ALL SEALED UP!!! That was cool. Pumpkin spice. That is popular this time of year.

Your camper looks so cozy...

It is. I could live in it. But FWGirl gets antsy after about 10 days and wants to go home.

Ghiradhelli's gave me my chocolate sample ALL SEALED UP!!! That was cool. Pumpkin spice. That is popular this time of year.

My friend Joyce was at WDW the same week you were.  I was the beneficiary of the Ghiradhelli Pumkin Spice chocolate caramel being all sealed up.  She gave it to me when she got back.  The pumpkin spice was suttle.  Not bad but I wouldn't have wanted an entire bag of them.  One piece of Ghiradhelli chocolate is just enough. 

Send the Kids To Bed - It's Time For The Epcot Center Twerk:

http://youtu.be/Ns8MOig78WY

You move quick with your updates. 

:heart: For Mickey.

Only because I am off on Wednesdays.

Trivia. The voice of Sonny Eclipse is Kal David.

http://youtu.be/ZNi9duE_P1k