FWGuy's Trip Report - This Ain't Yo Momma's Trip Report

Yup - 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 - that's our normal route.  We live just across the Canadian border, about 25 miles from where I-81 ends.

The only place my wife gets nervous is coming down that 7 mile hill from VA into NC.

I'd get nervous there too!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am sorting the few pictures I have now, and will start the report. Suffice it to say, it won't be your typical "We went to the Magic Kingdom today and I had a hot dog at Pecos Bills that was so yum

I'm late, but I'm here.  I love going down 81 from the North East.  84 out to 81 and 81 to 26 to 95.  Am I missing one?  The motorhome knows the way, I set the cruise and go play games with the rest o

That's because I left out all the yummy desserts and boring details of the bus rides. You got the highlights. Everything else was just fluff. The frequent and all day rains forced us to cancel a

Yup - 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 - that's our normal route.  We live just across the Canadian border, about 25 miles from where I-81 ends.

The only place my wife gets nervous is coming down that 7 mile hill from VA into NC.

Dan, do you play cards with the cruise control on coming down there?  :bugeyes:

It's more fun taking the old road down. You do the same grade in about 2 1/2- 3 miles instead of 7...Better view too. :rofl2:

The hill really isn't that bad. It just slows you down.

I am going to continue with an editorial. You can skip this entry if you want, but if you do, you will be missing out on some solid FWGuy advice for life on the road.

As a disclaimer, I am not Larry so I am by no means a tire expert. I base my philosophy on over 30 years of towing a trailer with no catatrophic tire failures (knock on wood). Also, I am not endorsing any specific product, nor do I receive any money from the company I will talk about.

We saw relatively few RV's on the road this trip. I blame the stagnant economy and high gas prices. I did, however see two cases of catastrophic tire failure. Both on 5ers. One passed me easily going 80. About 10 miles down the road, he was pulled over with a blow out. Now I don't know if you have ever seen what a steel belted radial tire can do to a fiberglass TT when it blows, but it rips the hell out of the side of the trailer. If it blows inside, since most of our trailers have the tires within the coach itself separated by some plywood, it rips the hell out of the interior. A lot of people blame Chinese tires. I will tell you this, I have been running Chinese tires on my trailer for the last 5 years without incident. I will be swapping them out next year because I don't like to run trailer tires for more than 5 years, but that is just FWGuy's rule.

So why does FWGuy think blowouts happen? I believe it is a couple of things. Overloaded trailers, excessive speed, and underinflated tires. The guy I saw was flying. I think these 5ers are near capaciity for weight before the owners put all their crap in them, and they should probably be running a higher load range tire, but I don't know for sure. I wonder how many check their tire pressures before they leave and again periodically on a long trip. Tire manufacturers say catastrophic failure is preceeded by a drop in pressure and an increase in temperature. An underinflated tire will run hot. Not good.

So what can you do? Well, first don't overload. My trailer weighs in around 7200lbs loaded. More if I am carrying a tank of water. I run load range D tires. My trailer has a large carrying capacity of 2300lbs. I have seen trailers with a lot less wiggle room. Weigh your trailer. Next, I keep my tires at the maximum inflation recommended by the trailer manufacturer. It is on a label on the trailer, mine is on the drivers side front. Keep your speed down. I never go over 60mph, and usually keep it at 50-55mph. Yeah, it takes me longer to drive to the Fort, but I get there without incident. Monitor temps. I have an inexpensive infrared thermometer I got at PepBoys and check the wheel temps at every rest stop. But the most valuable tool I have invested in is the following:

http://shop.tsttruck.com/product.sc;jsessionid=583AB909E4B25A94EAD3327FAF25A84C.qscstrfrnt04?categoryId=1&productId=11

It scolls through all the tires and gives me a readout on the pressure and temp of each tire. An alarm goes off if the pressure goes over or under a set limit, and also if the temp goes over a set limit. It was pricey, but it is constantly monitoring the truck and trailer tires and the peace of mind is well worth the cost. Mine has replaceable batteries, and after 3 years I just replaced them this year at a cost of 11 bucks.

In the Army, much planning goes into convoy movements to ensure safety. I spent many years as a mobilization and movement officer so I know a little about this. What we do with our trailers is the same, only on a much smaller scale. Take some time and check your tires. Oh, torque the lug nuts to spec, too. And keep your speed down. Carry on.

Ha! Ha! That's a good one, Ray!

My Man Card?

I haven't seen that since sometime in the late 90's. It got revoked at a Princess Tea Party.

TCD

I was thinking.... As much as you love those girls and how much quality time you spend with them. And because your great example of what a Dad should be.

You've earned you man card over and over again.

It takes only a few minutes to be a father. It takes a life time to be a Dad!

And trains, because who doesn't like trains?

http://youtu.be/-HgxZIHgQ0o

http://youtu.be/4qjEv9eVxck

The Family Portrait:

I like to get a family portrait at the Fort. I broke out the tripod and got set up. I will say, it was not easy and there was limited success due to my inexperience with the timer feature on the camera and two very active puppies.

Here is the first:

qP85rdg.jpg

And number 2:

ZclGY50.jpg

And 3:

JM41oJV.jpg

Number 4:

qDtqSWL.jpg

5 was as good as it got:

M9nNt8I.jpg

Great tips, Thanks for the Tire Pressure Monitor link!  I will be adding that to my list to get. Pricey yes, but will be worth it, plus I love to monitor stuff! NOW We just need a road gator monitor.  We were unable to avoid a road gator and lost a steer tire on our Bus the last trip.That was LOUD and very scary. That is also when I found out AAA does not cover our coach even though I signed up our year, make, and model 3 years earlier. Our road sure are getting tough to travel on.

You all look very cozy!  And I love the family portrait attempts, pretty much how mine go.

OMG! I need to know where Mrs. FWG got those shoes!!!  

Also- I love the family photo series. :laugh:

DSW

I can't tell if you're joking or not because I keep hearing the commercial in my head.  :rofl3:

Are they those J-41 shoes? Who makes them? I NEED THEM.

Really, it was DSW. I was with her. As far as what the exact brand is, I will have to wait until she gets home to ask her.

So you had to bribe the dogs to stay in the pic?   :rofl2:

#5 is great!

Food is pretty much the only thing that will motivate them.

I can't tell if you're joking or not because I keep hearing the commercial in my head.  :rofl3:

Are they those J-41 shoes? Who makes them? I NEED THEM.

I found them. In the sole it says J-41 Adventure On. That's all I got.

The hill really isn't that bad. It just slows you down.

I am going to continue with an editorial. You can skip this entry if you want, but if you do, you will be missing out on some solid FWGuy advice for life on the road.

As a disclaimer, I am not Larry so I am by no means a tire expert. I base my philosophy on over 30 years of towing a trailer with no catatrophic tire failures (knock on wood). Also, I am not endorsing any specific product, nor do I receive any money from the company I will talk about.

We saw relatively few RV's on the road this trip. I blame the stagnant economy and high gas prices. I did, however see two cases of catastrophic tire failure. Both on 5ers. One passed me easily going 80. About 10 miles down the road, he was pulled over with a blow out. Now I don't know if you have ever seen what a steel belted radial tire can do to a fiberglass TT when it blows, but it rips the hell out of the side of the trailer. If it blows inside, since most of our trailers have the tires within the coach itself separated by some plywood, it rips the hell out of the interior. A lot of people blame Chinese tires. I will tell you this, I have been running Chinese tires on my trailer for the last 5 years without incident. I will be swapping them out next year because I don't like to run trailer tires for more than 5 years, but that is just FWGuy's rule.

So why does FWGuy think blowouts happen? I believe it is a couple of things. Overloaded trailers, excessive speed, and underinflated tires. The guy I saw was flying. I think these 5ers are near capaciity for weight before the owners put all their crap in them, and they should probably be running a higher load range tire, but I don't know for sure. I wonder how many check their tire pressures before they leave and again periodically on a long trip. Tire manufacturers say catastrophic failure is preceeded by a drop in pressure and an increase in temperature. An underinflated tire will run hot. Not good.

So what can you do? Well, first don't overload. My trailer weighs in around 7200lbs loaded. More if I am carrying a tank of water. I run load range D tires. My trailer has a large carrying capacity of 2300lbs. I have seen trailers with a lot less wiggle room. Weigh your trailer. Next, I keep my tires at the maximum inflation recommended by the trailer manufacturer. It is on a label on the trailer, mine is on the drivers side front. Keep your speed down. I never go over 60mph, and usually keep it at 50-55mph. Yeah, it takes me longer to drive to the Fort, but I get there without incident. Monitor temps. I have an inexpensive infrared thermometer I got at PepBoys and check the wheel temps at every rest stop. But the most valuable tool I have invested in is the following:

http://shop.tsttruck.com/product.sc;jsessionid=583AB909E4B25A94EAD3327FAF25A84C.qscstrfrnt04?categoryId=1&productId=11

It scolls through all the tires and gives me a readout on the pressure and temp of each tire. An alarm goes off if the pressure goes over or under a set limit, and also if the temp goes over a set limit. It was pricey, but it is constantly monitoring the truck and trailer tires and the peace of mind is well worth the cost. Mine has replaceable batteries, and after 3 years I just replaced them this year at a cost of 11 bucks.

In the Army, much planning goes into convoy movements to ensure safety. I spent many years as a mobilization and movement officer so I know a little about this. What we do with our trailers is the same, only on a much smaller scale. Take some time and check your tires. Oh, torque the lug nuts to spec, too. And keep your speed down. Carry on.

I agree with most of what you said about the tires and do pretty much the same things as you. But I do go faster 65-75 mph, speed limit is 75 in Texas and you get run over if you go that slow. I have had a blow out though on our last trailer which I always thought that trailer was to heavy. But I was only doing 65 mph when I had my blowouts on it. Like you I was running max pressure 65psi and the tires were only 3 years old load range D. And after the first blow out 30 miles later the one next to it blew out. I will say blow outs on the side of the highway hundreds of miles from home in the middle of no where are not fun and no matter how much prep work you do you can't account for that small chunck of something that destroys your tire. After 3 blow outs on good tires in 2 years ( 2010 trip blow out on truck 2011 trip 2 blow outs on the trailer) I am paranoid about blow outs when pulling the camper now.