Brent's 2013 F&W Deliciousness Report

Because really, I don't do so well writing trip reports.

And Bob/Lou don't read them. 

If they don't read them, why bother writing them? That's the logic I'm using here.

So last Thursday, September 26, I hit the road and took off for a quick weekend trip to WDW. The Food and Wine Festival was officially kicking off Friday morning. I didn't need more reason than that. I have an AP and was staying off property, so it was an easy weekend.

I wanted to leave early, and I didn't. I made decent time and pulled into Epcot around 7.

This was the first thing I saw:

1378343_675965428165_1852074728_n.jpg

I thought of many Fiends and their love of Starbucks. It's hard to tell from that photo, but it was actually pretty crowded.

There aren't any other photos from the evening. I met up with some friends from Charleston and did a few attractions and watched Illuminations. Afterwards, I checked into the Holiday Inn and called it a night.

Friday, September 27

The plan was to get up early. To clarify, early for me and early for TCD are entirely different things. I got up around 8 and went down for a complimentary hot breakfast. Sorry, no pood forn.

Once I got myself together, I headed over to Epcot. I planned to take a break mid-afternoon and head back for more F&W that evening.

I got there and started making my way over to Festival Center. There were signs to get me there should I get lost.

1384319_675965403215_1682540016_n.jpg

943350_675965383255_1499591198_n.jpg

As you can see, the signs were leading me to the old Wonders of Life pavilion. 

1013590_675965358305_840329987_n.jpg

I actually liked this one when it was open, so it's always strange to see if as Festival Center. 

Inside, things were still moving pretty slow.

996615_675965328365_851417706_n.jpg

1240282_675965238545_1608234602_n.jpg

I poked around a little, asked about the Chase cardholder lounge and then headed out for a quick ride on Test Track before I met my friends.

1385339_675965183655_1882866443_n.jpg

Test track was fun, except the two idiots in line in front of me. Without going into detail, they complained about everything the whole time, then yelled at a CM until they got what they wanted. I'm sure they'll tell everyone they had a terrible time at Epcot.

After that, I checked out the new Chevy Cruze Diesel and met up with my friends. There are apparently no photos of all three of us.

So, all of the boring stuff is over and it was time to do what I'd come for... EAT. We made our way out of Future World and into World Showcase.  I'll post my pood forn and opinions in the next update.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DW just reminded me of a funny story about snails. About 5 years ago, when DD was 4. We were out to dinner and order an appetizer of escargot. DD would not try them so FIL, after a few drinks, offered

I'm learning so much from this report.    First, Brent knows how to eat.  Those all look like great choices.    Secondly, and somewhat disturbing, I've learned that Mo likes steamy buns and spicy hand

Because really, I don't do so well writing trip reports.   And Bob/Lou don't read them.    If they don't read them, why bother writing them? That's the logic I'm using here.   So last Thursday, Septem

I'm going to power right through this and post away. I'd draw out the suspense like others, but I'm not that sort of writer. 

So, it was around noon and F&W had officially started. The first booth we stopped at was Australia. I think all three of us had the shrimp.

556758_675965103815_895629179_n.jpg

It was pretty good. I'm used to good shrimp, so I know my expectations were pretty high. For how it was cooked, it was better than expected. The greens were bitter, too, which I really liked. It was a good start.

Before I forget... In previous years there have been tables setup along the lagoon railing all the way around WS. Not so much this year. It was virtually impossible to find a place to stop and eat. Then we discovered the plastic trays they are selling this year. It has a place for your food AND your drink. Makes it super easy to stand and eat. Best $5 I spent... until I broke it later.

We continued on. There was a stop at Mexico, but I didn't get anything.

Then we stopped in China. I wanted the Mongolian Beef in a steamed bun. They had it, or something similar last year, and it was as good (and spicy) as I remember. I may have gotten a second.

1233499_675965078865_732177798_n.jpg

Deliciousness.

There was a stop in Africa, but I was pacing myself since it was early. I just got a view.

1378116_675965053915_388411315_n.jpg

About this time we'd all eaten a good bit in 30 or so minutes, so we decided to hit up the Chase Lounge.

If you haven't ever experienced this before, it's a lounge that's for Chase cardholders. I don't believe it even has to be a Disney Visa. Any Chase card will do.  All three of us have one, but the CM at the door told us one person could have up to 10 guests.

Last year, the lounge was in the Festival Center. I found out that morning that it was on the third floor of the America Pavilion. Since that's a space most can't see, I wasn't about to miss it.  We decided to take the stairs up. These signs were all over the stairwell.

1384357_675964994035_1941361495_n.jpg

Once we got upstairs, a very nice CM greeted us and told us about the lounges offerings. There were comfortable places to sit and relax on one side with soft jazz and charging stations. There were restrooms on that side as well.  The other side had candy, coffee, lemonade and two Coke Zero machines. All complimentary.

1069211_675964909205_408280432_n.jpg

Sorry about the blurry photo. I was grabbing for a tiny cup and taking the photo.

The other side:

1375016_675964864295_212236697_n.jpg

The windows you see there look out over World Showcase. It felt like a fairly nice space, but the ac (Not Aaron, but the air conditioning) worked very well, so that's all I could ask for.

After we relaxed and charged a bit, Disney Friend Joe (DFJ) wanted to see The American Adventure. I'd seen it the night before, but went anyway. It's always a good show. This time we sat in the very front of the theater. Try that sometime. It's interesting.

Before the show, we saw these guys:

1381808_675964849325_1731074054_n.jpg

And caught an excellent Voices of Liberty performance. One of them said, and I question it, that some of the members have been around since the beginning in the 80's. 

1383940_675964534955_312480549_n.jpg

About this time I was getting hungry again, so it was off to Japan for some sushi. This was, I believe, the spicy hand roll.

13877_675964510005_1262778005_n.jpg

And this is where it got a little ugly.

I was dehydrated. And tired. And all I wanted was soft serve. Did you know that there is nowhere in Epcot to get softserve anymore? Well, that appears to be true. The refreshment port used to have it, but they had Dole Whips for F&W. So I left and went and found my ice cream elsewhere. Then took a nap. Then a dip in the pool. And then I headed back. More to come in the next update because there was a lot more eating to be done.

I was dehydrated. And tired. And all I wanted was soft serve. Did you know that there is nowhere in Epcot to get softserve anymore? Well, that appears to be true. The refreshment port used to have it, but they had Dole Whips for F&W. So I left and went and found my ice cream elsewhere. Then took a nap. Then a dip in the pool. And then I headed back. More to come in the next update because there was a lot more eating to be done.

There is a place for soft serve Brent. At least there was in July. The crepe stand in France also has soft serve. It was the same place that makes the ice cream at the place in the pavillion. It was very rich and creamy. Sil and I each had one. 

There is a place for soft serve Brent. At least there was in July. The crepe stand in France also has soft serve. It was the same place that makes the ice cream at the place in the pavillion. It was very rich and creamy. Sil and I each had one. 

I'll have to check that out. I was pretty sure I didn't see it, but it was chaos around there. Thanks!

Great job so far, Brent.

I am disappointed that we were there at the same time, and didn't meet up.

I did not notice that there were less tables- but we're usually there on weekend nights, so tables have always been hard to come by.  There are a lot of tables around the Italy pavilion.  Here is our buddy SBP and his bride using one:

92913024_zpsf9010693.jpg

I noticed a few folks with those plastic trays- but never saw them for sale anywhere.  I believe they have them in the Wonders of Life pavilion, but they must be for sale somewhere around the World Showcase.  They ought to have these out in a more prominent location, as they could probably sell a bunch more.

TCD

I noticed a few folks with those plastic trays- but never saw them for sale anywhere.  I believe they have them in the Wonders of Life pavilion, but they must be for sale somewhere around the World Showcase.  They ought to have these out in a more prominent location, as they could probably sell a bunch more.

TCD

They had them at the shop when you first enter WS and the little shops they set up that sell the F&W swag. They were all over the place.

They had them at the shop when you first enter WS and the little shops they set up that sell the F&W swag. They were all over the place.

OK, I didn't go in any of those shops.  I didn't see those things everywhere the first weekend of the Festival.  I guess they're catching on now.  The genius who got rid of the tables is going to get a nice bonus probably.

TCD

The folks at Disney Food Blog recommend buying a tray and decorating it to your tastes before you come to the festival.  Not a bad idea at all.  Here's the link:

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/09/17/make-your-own-dfb-food-and-wine-festival-tray/

Oh, and I'm in.  I'll take any chance to read and talk about food at Disney!

The folks at Disney Food Blog recommend buying a tray and decorating it to your tastes before you come to the festival.  Not a bad idea at all.  Here's the link:

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/09/17/make-your-own-dfb-food-and-wine-festival-tray/

Oh, and I'm in.  I'll take any chance to read and talk about food at Disney!

Oh brother.

Bring your own tray.

The trays they have for sale have a hole in them to hold a drink.  These homemade trays need something like that.

Also, Lou said they ought to make a neck strap.  Then you could have both hands free.  I think he's on to something there.

TCD

Oh brother.

Bring your own tray.

The trays they have for sale have a hole in them to hold a drink.  These homemade trays need something like that.

Also, Lou said they ought to make a neck strap.  Then you could have both hands free.  I think he's on to something there.

TCD

Like those old "cigarette girl" boxes?  That would be sweet.

Cigarette-girl.jpg