Brent's 2013 F&W Deliciousness Report

I am with the non snail lovers. It is texture thing for me.

DH and DS enjoy them though.

Same here.

Me three.

Also, I have trouble getting past the fact that these slimy things crawl around in dirt all day.  Gross.

I've tried escargot several times.  I'll eat it if I have too, but I'd just as soon eat an old piece of rubber covered in bread crumbs and butter. Same difference.

TCD

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DW just reminded me of a funny story about snails. About 5 years ago, when DD was 4. We were out to dinner and order an appetizer of escargot. DD would not try them so FIL, after a few drinks, offered

I'm learning so much from this report.    First, Brent knows how to eat.  Those all look like great choices.    Secondly, and somewhat disturbing, I've learned that Mo likes steamy buns and spicy hand

Because really, I don't do so well writing trip reports.   And Bob/Lou don't read them.    If they don't read them, why bother writing them? That's the logic I'm using here.   So last Thursday, Septem

Me three.

Also, I have trouble getting past the fact that these slimy things crawl around in dirt all day.  Gross.

I've tried escargot several times.  I'll eat it if I have too, but I'd just as soon eat an old piece of rubber covered in bread crumbs and butter. Same difference.

TCD

If that's what it was like to you, it wasn't prepared correctly.  Cooked by a master, escargot is very tender.  The texture thing I understand, but it doesn't bother me in the least. 

... who doesn't love freshly caught fish, cleaned and pan fried over a fire? 

When I was a kid I used to go ice fishing with my dad all the time.  Ok so "fishing" meant he used the gas auger to punch all the holes, and then I setup/baited all the tilts while he went and made a fire and had coffee, and I ice skated all day and checked the tilts when the flags went up.

Still... best thing EVAH was catching - oh pretty much anything - dad cleaning it right away and throwing it in a pan with a little butter over the fire. 

If that's what it was like to you, it wasn't prepared correctly.  Cooked by a master, escargot is very tender.  The texture thing I understand, but it doesn't bother me in the least. 

Yep, the best ones we had were more similar to the texture of fresh mushrooms in butter and garlic.  Thanks, people.

Now I am hungry!

Best snails I ever had were the time we drove to Jamestown RI with my parents when we were kids and picked them off the rocks.  Dad whipped out the camp stove and the coffee pot, and mom whipped out a stick of butter (seriously - how did that woman know to bring butter?) and we steamed and ate them right there.

No garlic?!?

And who doesn't love freshly caught fish, cleaned and pan fried over a fire? 

Me!  Any kind of fish  :barf: .  Shrimp, crab legs, lobster, now I can eat my weight in them. 

Me three.

Amen!

Allergic to fish and shellfish. Ready to move on now.

That's the saddest thing I've heard all day. :( I'd die.

I think we've snail-jacked Brent's thread!

Yup! Yup!

That's the saddest thing I've heard all day. :( I'd die.

LOL. i never liked it much anyway so once we realized it was causing my migraines I didnt mind dropping it. I still indulge in Fish and Chips occasionally but I usually pay the price. 

Oh and no one back home can believe some one who grew up in the Ocean State is allergic to seafood. 

OK. Thanks for all the comments everyone. I need to get this trainwreck back on track.

We left off with my nap. Naps aren't typically allowed on vacation, but I was exhausted. Once I got myself moving I headed back to Epcot.

The first stop, ironically, was France for... wait for it... Escargot.

1376547_675964485055_1268603763_n.jpg

I have to say... eh. It was all butter and garlic. Definitely not bad and very filling.

I then went in the French bakery and had a snack. Nothing fancy. After that, we kept moving. The next stop was Hawaii. My DFJ was wanting to try the Kahlua braised pork. The report, "Eh. It wasn't what I was hoping."

Oh, did I mention it got crowded?

1377575_675964385255_100160896_n.jpg

Next stop was dessert. I wanted the sampler, but somehow ended up with the molten chocolate dessert from Ireland, maybe? I can't remember where, but shut the front door it was delicious.

1377482_675964345335_50310141_n.jpg

After that it was Illuminations time. I didn't have the FP+ reserved viewing, but my friends did. I stood along the rope right behind them. It was a good show.

1383190_675964280465_831272216_n.jpg

1377124_675964260505_654745376_n.jpg

There was some shopping and then photos on the way out of the park.

9149_675964165695_1922545262_n.jpg

After that, I think I had some sort of adult beverage and called it a night.

I would wait to talk about Saturday on a new post, but... I slept in. And then had lunch with some local friends in Windermere. And then hot tubbed. And then FINALLY made my way to MK to meet my friends who had spent the day there.  The park was open until midnight, so we had big plans. I think i got there around 7 and we went right to work on riding things. Except it was crowded. So crowded there may have been an altercation with an angry mom.  We ended up watching Wishes! here:

1186129_675964040945_952091825_n.jpg

After, we rode a few things and I was forced to watch the MSEP. I refused to take photos. That's about the time I walked to Sunshine Tree Terrace to TRY and get a drink, but it was a nightmare. No one knew what they were doing. It took ten minutes but I finally got a raspberry lemonade... which is all they had. I considered it a success  when I got back to MSEP and the last several floats were missing.

After that we rode HM, Little Mermaid and POTC. Then we pulled a TCD/Brent and walked onto Space Mountain at 11:57. It was pretty much deserted in there. That's an old trick, but it still works. Then there was more shopping. I got bored, but ended up in the Confectionary.  These looked great.

1186252_675964011005_1580114503_n.jpg

When I got back to the TTC, this was the sight.

1385261_675963946135_1993127019_n.jpg

It was officially late.

I got back to the hotel and called it a night.

Brent knows better than to leave us hanging like this.  If he doesn't post more pood forn soon I will continue regaling you with tales of my redneck upbringing. 

Anyone want to share venison recipes??  How about raccoon?  :rofl3:

Did you know that they have venison sausage for sale at this year's Festival?:

92913594_zps1401439e.jpg

But, sorry, no raccoon.  You'll have to settle for Green Lip Mussels.

Whatever those are.

TCD

Did you know that they have venison sausage for sale at this year's Festival?:

92913594_zps1401439e.jpg

But, sorry, no raccoon.  You'll have to settle for Green Lip Mussels.

Whatever those are.

TCD

Green lipped mussels have green lips

largeopenmussels-20100806-193335.jpg

green-lips-4.jpg

I LOVE green lip mussels.  Any mussels, really.  LOVE THEM!  One of my favorite things.  And since I'm pretty much the only one in my family that likes them they are all MINE. 

One little trick I have developed over the years is to learn what food I enjoy that none of my daughters like.  For instance, I always select a flavor of ice cream that no one will bother me to try.  A vanilla based ice cream with some sort of nuts or fruit usually does the trick.  My favorite is Cherry Vanilla...and usually low fat so I don't get sick.  And no one bothers me while I enjoy it.  INC usually gets some chocolate ice cream with peanut butter or something and has to share.