Best Trip Ever, but Rain, Rain, Go Away!!

I love the dancing pics! 

I haven't seen that show for a looooooooooooooooong time. Judging by the empty seats, not many other people are going either. 

Well we were at the top and it was pretty full down below us.  My boys love it so if they do decide to change it, lets hope it has more boy fun.  Hopefully they won't replace it with princess extravaganza land!  :) 

We go to Birmingham Barons games all the time and they are really fun, but I was totally surprised with how fun the Braves game was.  It was awesome.  The boys loved it.  

It is awesomeness.   I wish we'd never discovered that our oldest loves to grab a spot in the outfield seats for batting practice.  No relaxing before the game at all now!  Beware flying balls!  Don't want to get beaned in the head!!  

I'm not telling my kids about that.  That makes me so nervous!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not sure how long that room has been like that, but it was just like that in April of 2010.  They have kept it up though.  It has a few rough spots but it had been redone since our visit then.  I'

Okay now here we go to the ultimate Disney World coaster - Rockin Roller Coaster! 

Since Fowl had loved every other one I thought he'd do fine.  We had fastpasses and did the baby swap (we usually do that too in case it takes longer to do it than we have left on our fp.)  He and Daddy went first.  

Fish was asleep, so it worked out great. Fish and I looked everywhere for an iced coffee.  We never could find one.  Look Disney-- I need a little coffee poured on some vanilla ice cream (I found this at the MK).  That little shop right at Rockin had icecream and coffee.  But they wouldn't do that for me.  :(  Anyway!

It took them forever so I was getting a little concerned.  I didn't know what to do.  I started asking other people coming out if they had fastpasses and how long it took them.  FINALLY they came out.  I asked what in the world happened.  They went in the FP line and at the end got delayed because of a really big group that wanted to be together.   (What's up with that - silliness)  So they got to ride and after a CM found them and appologized and said do you want to ride again to Fowl.  He said, "YES"! and she took them back behind the scenes and put them right back to the front.  So they rode twice.  Then when they came out it was our turn.  And he loved it once again.  So Fowl rode 3 times in a row. Now he was a little nausated after ride number 3.  But he was fine pretty quickly.  

We really appreciated the CM doing that and Fowl really thought it was neat.  

P9273084_zps4609ac34.jpg

P9273085_zpsbf561da0.jpg

I really can't remember what we did next.  At some point we ate dinner and NO one was in there.  (ABC Commisary)  It wasn't delicious but it was good and they were very nice.  They wounldn't even let us clean up our table.  

Another thing that happened at some point during the day that really was sooooo nice was this --- Okay Fowl and Daddy were riding something, I think TOT.  Fish was fussy and thristy for a special treat.  I went to that little snack stand -- 

Sunset_Boulevard_Food_04.JPG

And they had those little cups that looked like an orange with a face.  I know that is a thing, but I have no idea what it is about.  Fish spotted it and wanted it.  It was pretty small so I figured maybe $5.  Well I asked and it was $10.  I told him he couldn't have it.  He cried.  Not really a fit just some tears.  This sort of thing doesn't bother me.  Kids need to be told no sometimes.  Well the CM was just torn up about this.  It really upset him.  So he turns around gets the little orange thing, puts some kind of slushie in it and hands it to me and says here please give it to him.  I was so shocked I didn't know what to say.  I thanked him and said just let me pay.  He said no just go.  :)  That was so sweet.  But it did make me a little nervous.  I did not want him to get in trouble.  But it was really nice and Fish was THRILLLED!  So shhhhhhh don't tell anyone.  

Here we are right before doing the Movie ride.  Of course it started raining while we were in there.  But that was the first time it rained that day. 

P9273088_zps517205e2.jpg

I have to say that really this was our favorite day.  I couldn't believe we had enjoyed it so much.  I think it was the low crowd, the no rain, and not going back to the hotel for nap that made the difference.  It just felt more relaxing.  So HS won me over.  :)  

Now on to Saturday.  Saturday was our day to leave.  Would we??????????????????????  You'll have to wait and see.  

I'm not telling my kids about that.  That makes me so nervous!

It wasn't too bad but you have to stay alert!  Maybe I'll see you at a game this season! :)  MicnMin (Holly 1) and fam met us there last year and was able to sit with us for the last inning or two when people started leaving.  :)

Here we are right before doing the Movie ride.  Of course it started raining while we were in there.  But that was the first time it rained that day. 

P9273088_zps517205e2.jpg

I have to say that really this was our favorite day.  I couldn't believe we had enjoyed it so much.  I think it was the low crowd, the no rain, and not going back to the hotel for nap that made the difference.  It just felt more relaxing.  So HS won me over.   :)

Now on to Saturday.  Saturday was our day to leave.  Would we? ???? ???? ???? ???? ?????  You'll have to wait and see.  

There is always a thunderstorm for us at HS.  We've come to enjoy the adventure.  HS is always a fun day for us.

GREAT family photo!

Looks like a wonderful day!  And congrats on the pixie dust.

Hope you don't leave the next day!

It was a really really fun day.  

I'm hoping to get to an update today but we'll see.  

I'm happy to hear you got a rain-free day!

Congrats on the pixie dust/free Orange Bird drink.

TCD

Thanks, do you know what the orange bird is about?  Is it a Florida thing?  Another random Disney mascot?

It wasn't too bad but you have to stay alert!  Maybe I'll see you at a game this season! :)  MicnMin (Holly 1) and fam met us there last year and was able to sit with us for the last inning or two when people started leaving.   :)

There is always a thunderstorm for us at HS.  We've come to enjoy the adventure.  HS is always a fun day for us.

GREAT family photo!

I doubt we will be going this year it is quite expensive for us and we are using every penny for the adoption.  But we'll see.  We have discussed a camping trip to Stone mountain with some Georgia fun.  Fowl really wants to go to Six Flags.   Thanks!  A really nice guy offered to take it for us.  

Thanks, do you know what the orange bird is about?  Is it a Florida thing?  Another random Disney mascot?

Going back to your revelation that you were still in High School in 1996, Orange Bird goes back to way before you were born.

He was a character who appeared in the Magic Kingdom.  There's much to be found about him on the Internet, including on the official Disney Blog, such as here: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/breaking-historic-orange-bird-returns-to-adventureland-at-magic-kingdom-park/

Here's a little blurb from the Disney Parks Blog which explains Orange Bird:

In case you aren’t familiar, Orange Bird was a character who was developed specifically for Magic Kingdom Park in the 1970s. This cheerful bird originally greeted families at Sunshine Tree Terrace in Adventureland, where guests could also enjoy citrus drinks and buy Orange Bird gifts. At one time, the character even had his own record, which was released in 1971 to feature “The Orange Bird Song” – a tune penned by the Sherman Brothers (composers of the songs in “Mary Poppins” and “The Jungle Book”).

I remember that Orange Bird appeared in TV commercials in the '70's advertising Florida orange juice. 

TCD

I doubt we will be going this year it is quite expensive for us and we are using every penny for the adoption.  But we'll see.  We have discussed a camping trip to Stone mountain with some Georgia fun.  Fowl really wants to go to Six Flags.   Thanks!  A really nice guy offered to take it for us.  

Congrats on the adoption! 

We love Stone Mountain and Six Flags.  Hope you have a great time!

Going back to your revelation that you were still in High School in 1996, Orange Bird goes back to way before you were born.

He was a character who appeared in the Magic Kingdom.  There's much to be found about him on the Internet, including on the official Disney Blog, such as here: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/breaking-historic-orange-bird-returns-to-adventureland-at-magic-kingdom-park/

Here's a little blurb from the Disney Parks Blog which explains Orange Bird:

In case you aren’t familiar, Orange Bird was a character who was developed specifically for Magic Kingdom Park in the 1970s. This cheerful bird originally greeted families at Sunshine Tree Terrace in Adventureland, where guests could also enjoy citrus drinks and buy Orange Bird gifts. At one time, the character even had his own record, which was released in 1971 to feature “The Orange Bird Song” – a tune penned by the Sherman Brothers (composers of the songs in “Mary Poppins” and “The Jungle Book”).

I remember that Orange Bird appeared in TV commercials in the '70's advertising Florida orange juice. 

TCD

That is pretty neat!  Maybe I'll look up more about it one day.  

Congrats on the adoption! 

We love Stone Mountain and Six Flags.  Hope you have a great time!

Thanks!  We'll see if it happens.  :) 

Okay so this is what happened.  

When we planned this trip we knew we had 3 non expiration tickets that my parents gave us from 1990.  Yes 1990.  They were paper tickets and had moved all over the place with my parents.  Anyway.  We decided that we should use them on this trip because this would be the last trip that we only needed 3 tickets.  And as you know buying 1 day tickets is kind of pricy.  Thats why we always stay so many days.  

So since we didn't use a ticket at all the day of the Halloween Party we decided.  Well lets just stay another day.  I am notorious for convincing my husband to stay one more day on vacations.  And once again I did.  We were already going to leave Saturday afternoon, drive and spend the night somewhere.  So we decided to add a night to our room and just stay there and leave really early the next morning.  

Let me just say, Disney does not make that easy.  It was crazy.  They acted like we were they first people ever to do this.  They were very nice about it.  But I mean we have done this at least 10 other times at other hotels and it is super easy.  Not at Disney World.  They had to make 15 phone calls.  They asked us to give them an hour and they'd get back to us.  All worked out.  But it had to be a completly new vacation.  New magic bands, everything.  And we didn't get to keep our free dining.  Didn't really matter because that would only affect Sunday really because of the way that works and we were leaving at 5 anyway.  I personally think this is very silly.  I think you should be able to add as many days to your say as you would like and just extend your entire vacation.  

Now lets back up.  A few days before we had taken these tickets to see if they would work.  They did and were converted to park hopper as well, which we have never had so we were pumped.  And Fowl was very upset that he missed Its Tough Being a Bug and the Yeti or whatever the real name is.  So we knew what we would use them for.  The problem.  I forgot to take pictures of the tickets.  I can not express to you how upset this still makes me.  I could really cry just thinking about it.  But I'm really really trying not to sweat the small stuff.  So I'm letting it go.  But I can not believe I don't have a picture of them.  Anyway...

Here we are!  

P9273089_zps15f6881c.jpg

P9273093_zps58ec9e2c.jpg

P9273097_zps5d6e1c3e.jpg

P9273098_zps5bd85af4.jpg

P9273100_zpsf26ce549.jpg

P9273104_zps4c814f28.jpg

P9273107_zps50fbf018.jpg

P9273111_zps4a0feb13.jpg

P9273113_zps1b2ef4c9.jpg

P9273116_zps579dac65.jpg

More later.  :) Have a great weekend!!

Glad you got the extra day.  And glad we get some rhino butts.  Glad about the Orange bird drink thing.  (Don't worry...I don't really know that an Orange Bird is either).  Glad you are sharing your pictures.  Sad this is almost over.  

Isn't the orange bird an old mascot for FL oranges?  Seems like I remember that from years ago.

ETA:  Nevermind just went back and found TCD's link.  I thought it was from the 70's but had the origin all wrong.  He's still cute!

So glad you got the extra day!!!  Nice photos of the Safari. One of my faves at Animal Kingdom!

• 1 month later...

Okay so I'm back FINALLY!  Craziness going on around here!  

Here we go.  So we got to do a second day at AK.  Fowl was pumped.  Safari was first.  

Now on to Kali River Rapids.  

We met up with our friends from home again!  Little secret.  We had gotten 4 paper fastpasses for this.  (Fish was too short to ride, but we thought we might want to ride twice)  Anyway we ran into our friends, gave them 2 of the 4 fastpasses.  Then we went to the fastpass line and got a baby swap ticket and the big boys and little boys went first.  (This information is really not valuable now. bummer.) 

Here they are...

P9273120_zpsfde58405.jpg

And there was a dude that thought he was with us too.  ;)

P9273122_zps92839c86.jpg

P9273123_zpsb8bd357e.jpg

P9273125_zps325c8d7f.jpg

P9273126_zpsfce2fd3f.jpg

No clue what Fowl is doing here. 

P9273128_zps4267866d.jpg

P9273127_zps839447f0.jpg

Now for the ladies and the little boys.

P9273129_zps85172802.jpg

P9273130_zpsc73216ba.jpg

P9273131_zps0a4b2428.jpg

P9273133_zps487565f2.jpg

P9273134_zpsd9747ab1.jpg

As you can see, my friend got soaked.  I mean a wall of water was on top of her.  It was quite hilarious!  It was really fun!  I was so glad I finally got to ride it!  

Good for you for not giving up on this report!

That child swap information might still be of value with FP+.  As I understand it, people with a short kid are able to use it to go through the FP line twice, without having to use two FP+'s.  I still don't understand how that works, but it seems to be a big loophole that you can exploit if you have a short kid.  Doesn't sound like too much fun for the short kid though.

The TCD gang are not fans of Kali River Rapids. I ALWAYS get the wall of water.  They used to let you take off your shoes and store them in the center compartment.  But, that turned out to be a bad idea as guests blocked the exits when they stopped to put their shoes back on.  So, that means wet clothes and shoes for the rest of the day.  Not fun.  We only go if it's the last thing we do before leaving the park, and we're not hopping to another park.  Which is rarely the case.

TCD

We love kali river rapids. At Christmas we. DD and I got to ride it three times in a row. And it was a nice day and they were relatively busy.

Great pix and glad to see the update.

It was a really fun ride!  

Glad to see an update on this report.

Looking forward to more.

Thanks!!

Good for you for not giving up on this report!

That child swap information might still be of value with FP+.  As I understand it, people with a short kid are able to use it to go through the FP line twice, without having to use two FP+'s.  I still don't understand how that works, but it seems to be a big loophole that you can exploit if you have a short kid.  Doesn't sound like too much fun for the short kid though.

The TCD gang are not fans of Kali River Rapids. I ALWAYS get the wall of water.  They used to let you take off your shoes and store them in the center compartment.  But, that turned out to be a bad idea as guests blocked the exits when they stopped to put their shoes back on.  So, that means wet clothes and shoes for the rest of the day.  Not fun.  We only go if it's the last thing we do before leaving the park, and we're not hopping to another park.  Which is rarely the case.

TCD

I'm not sure about the people with short kid thing, but with baby swap you and your family can go through twice except the adult baby watchers.  :)  Like this Brad and Fowl rode Kali and then Me and Fowl rode Kali.  Now this also works with an older kid.  When we went last time my brother was with us (16 at the time) he would get to ride twice.  It is a very nice perk. :) 

And we wear flip flops and chacos so wet shoes don't bother us.  :)  And I pack crocs for the kids in the backpack and slip them on them if they are going on a water ride or doing a splash pad. 

On with the show.  

The last thing we did was what Fowl had been wanting to do the entire trip.  Here's a hint. 

P9273135_zps30fabbfb.jpg

He loved it, we all did!  He could have done it a few more times, but he's obsessed with bugs.  It was way cuter than I thought it would be.  And we didn't think it was scary at all.  But we have boys.  I know girls are different birds.  :) 

Guess what we did next!!!!

We left the park and took the bus to the Poly like we were rich folks. :rofl3:   The bus went to the Contemporary and the Poly so we decided where to stop on the drive.  There was much discussion about this.  I have never walked around the Contemporary at all.  But it really wasn't the time for leisurely walking around.   Captain Cooks won out.  But I will be going to the Contemporary next time.  

I have no pictures of this.  We were apparently starving.  Daddy got the pork sandwich which he really liked and I got the nachos.  I am a nachos lover and these were the best I'd ever had.  Very simple and delicious.  I have dreams about those nachos.  YUM!!!  Here's a picture from eatingwdw.com.

http://eatingwdw.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/capt-cooks-pork-nachos-side.jpg

I'd like to add my chips did not look like the chips in the picture.  My chips were won tons.  You know like asian won tons. AHHHH!! So good! I'm not sure if they changed them or if I just got lucky!

Then we hoped.  We have never hoped so this was so fun.  We rode the monorail right over to the MK.  

P9283138_zpsa0dc72d1.jpg

P9283139_zpsa07cf9c2.jpg

P9283140_zpse41e99bf.jpg

P9283141_zps856e48ba.jpg

This brings me to a quick little topic I'd like to discuss.  Does everyone remember when the castle was fixed up like a cake.  It was like that when I went in high school.  It was actually pretty hideous.  It was faded out and not looking very good when I saw it.  Now as an adult I think if that would have been my once in a life time trip I would have been highly disappointed!!  So I was not a fan of the Cake Castle.  What did you all think??

I'm not sure about the people with short kid thing, but with baby swap you and your family can go through twice except the adult baby watchers.   :)  Like this Brad and Fowl rode Kali and then Me and Fowl rode Kali.  Now this also works with an older kid.  When we went last time my brother was with us (16 at the time) he would get to ride twice.  It is a very nice perk. :)

The short kid thing was my reference to the baby or child swap, which still exists even with MagicBands and FP+.  So, y'all could still do the same thing with your friends provided you have a kid who isn't tall enough to ride (i.e. the short kid).  I don't think the intent of this was to let guests use the FP line twice (unless they have FP's for each ride) but apparently, that's how it works, and people are getting multiple FP rides from one FP+.

My girls were scared to death and crying after their first viewing of It's Tough to Be a Bug.  Girls are definitely different than boys.  They rarely want to go in that show now.

Getting wontons for you nachos is not the way that dish is usually served.  They usually use the "house made" chips.  They use those wontons as a garnish on the noodle dish  they serve there, and they are good!  Nachos made out of them would be good.  But, you must have just been lucky.

I believe that I'm the only person who has ever not hated the cake castle.  I have very fond memories of it.  My favorite memory is probably when my oldest daughter asked if she could lick it, because she thought it would be delicious.  I told her to go right ahead. She did, and it wasn't.  That is a story that is often retold among the TCD gang.

TCD

The short kid thing was my reference to the baby or child swap, which still exists even with MagicBands and FP+.  So, y'all could still do the same thing with your friends provided you have a kid who isn't tall enough to ride (i.e. the short kid).  I don't think the intent of this was to let guests use the FP line twice (unless they have FP's for each ride) but apparently, that's how it works, and people are getting multiple FP rides from one FP+.

My girls were scared to death and crying after their first viewing of It's Tough to Be a Bug.  Girls are definitely different than boys.  They rarely want to go in that show now.

Getting wontons for you nachos is not the way that dish is usually served.  They usually use the "house made" chips.  They use those wontons as a garnish on the noodle dish  they serve there, and they are good!  Nachos made out of them would be good.  But, you must have just been lucky.

I believe that I'm the only person who has ever not hated the cake castle.  I have very fond memories of it.  My favorite memory is probably when my oldest daughter asked if she could lick it, because she thought it would be delicious.  I told her to go right ahead. She did, and it wasn't.  That is a story that is often retold among the TCD gang.

TCD

That is a very cute story! I hope you got pictures!  I'd love to see some old TCD tri reports like Dave has done!