S71 does AOA and a MNSSHP...Yipeeeee

Well, I haven't done a trip report in sometime. Mostly because I am not one to carry my camera wherever we go and as most of our seasoned trip reporters will tell you, it's a lot of work. Since this was going to be a quick surprise trip for kids, I said what the heck. I will apologize in advance for some of my bad pics. As much as the iPhone claims to be a technological advancement in the smart phone world, the camera in my opinion will never compare to a good digital camera.

I will also apologize in advance for my almost always negativity. Some of you may notice from my other post that I am usually more negative than positive. I really don't mean to be that way but it just gets me how businesses like Disney always gets the upper hand to bleed the hard working man. The rapid joke drink machines come to mind. Anyways on with the trip

On this trip I have come to discover many things I have not seen at Disney in the past:

1. I have a greater fondness and respect for the fort

2. Disney bus transportation can be summed up as" less desirable"

3. Disney value resorts are not all they are cracked up to be

4. Different bus options at the fort. Hmmmmm.

5. No one should ever complain about trails end

And last but not least ... Sundays once again rock for a MNSSHP

I will answer all these new findings throughout the report

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought all the hotels provided towels at the pools?

Since I am out of town the next few days for work, I better get this started. Back in August, one of my new best friends, Expedia, informed me of a $125 rate for the AOA in October. The wife and I wanted to check this place out and with the kids out of school yesterday for a teacher conf. Day, hopefully this was going to work. I just had to see if there was a MNSSHP that Sunday night. We scored! There was one for Sunday the 20th. I then booked the hotel for 2 nights and got our party tickets. We have always had good luck doing the Sunday night thing for a MK special event (more to come). We wanted to actually surprise the kids this time so my wife packed them up Friday night after they hit the sack and I then packed the car. On Saturday morning we headed out and told the kids we were going to a new walmart and toys r us. That got them off the trail. We actually even headed to Orlando via "the back way" through a small town called Brooksville and Clearmont. The locals know which I mean. My daughter only being 7 knows I-4 by the back of her hand and nothing goes past her...until this trip. Of course she noticed the first sign that said Walt Disney world. We pulled up to AOA and told the kids we were just looking around. They fell for it since they knew we had no luggage. My wife distracted them while I went to check in and ran into this

78cdd07f790a4f3252c25edbe9279f83.jpg

The picture does not do this justice. This place was packed, unorganized and a absolute zoo. The line was actually out the door to check in. It was 3:00 and I know check in is at 4 but I never had to wait anywhere in the past. Luckily we did not plan our day by checking in at noon and enjoying the resort. Just as I started getting upset in a mile long line, a CM came up and opened a new line. When I got the desk, I was presented with these

23ef34be4788f06674834da8100843b3.jpg

42e1a4ae3f0683233ae01a66eb09c921.jpg

I was excited to get these but I had already pre selected my custom bands for our November fort trip. To me, these are packaged in an expensive package and they could not give enough out at check in. Many people were screaming to CM that they did not work and actually started cursing. Our room of course was not ready but was told I would be texted when it was. This gave us an opportunity to explore.

First stop was lunch

80c47a2ff10d1cdad1cec6b12e9defe1.jpg

This is pretty much the only food place at the resort except for a small place at one of the pools. They offered a ton of items with many made to order at very, very high newer resort pricing. I tried to get a pic of the overhead menus with pricing but it was a fail

cfd66871f878f882705c3375468b3a56.jpg

I got a "custom" made salad for $11.99 and my wife got a meatball sub I think for $14.99. It was good, but a rip off. Sorry DIT but no food photos I totally forgot.

I also forgot to mention they could not keep up selling the rapid joke mugs so they set up a station to sell them in the lobby

2516c42e7fb605bead20ce04e4e8767b.jpg

87222ddc698e284477ef82c4408872c8.jpg

As stated before, these mugs are a joke. I hope everyone brings their old mugs buys (1) new mug and pours soda from the new mug into all the old mugs. Right back at ya Disney.

Next up... We walk and walk and walk the grounds

This is great!

I already learned something too.  I never knew that Disney put rooms on Expedia.  I'll be sure to check there for deals in the future.

That crowd at check-in on a Saturday surprised me.  This is supposed to be a slow time of year.  What the heck were that many people doing there?

And, no wonder things took so long- they are handing out Magic Bands to everyone who checks in?  I would imagine a large percentage of people who didn't register for their MB's in advance didn't have the first clue what these were or how they worked.

And they set up a table to sell the Rapid JokeTM mugs?  Wow!  That many guests want to buy them?

Something funny was going on there. That is not a normal Saturday afternoon on a non-holiday weekend in October.

I am looking forward to the rest of your report!

TCD

We're going to be at AoA in a month or so.  I have enjoyed my visits to that resort but have never stayed before.  Great variety of food in the food court, but no bargains (although the Middle Eastern cuisine did not seem too bad for the amounts you received.)

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

Something funny was going on there. That is not a normal Saturday afternoon on a non-holiday weekend in October.

I was told that the Fort was at 100% this weekend... it seemed more like 125%.

We saw a lot of people in costumes Friday and Saturday nights heading to the Magic Kingdom boats.

I saw somewhere that Christmas, Thanksgiving, and now Halloween are the busiest times at WDW.

Every time we stay at a Disney resort that's not the fort it makes me Mis the fort.

I hear ya. More to come on how much I love the fort

I'm in!

You're too negative though. ;)

I'm getting better..lol

I'm in. 

I'll be posting our Fort trip from this past weekend (10/18-10/21) in the next couple of days. 

And mine isn't going to be all butterflies and unicorns either.

Yes, someone who thinks like me. Call it how it is :)

This is great!

I already learned something too.  I never knew that Disney put rooms on Expedia.  I'll be sure to check there for deals in the future.

That crowd at check-in on a Saturday surprised me.  This is supposed to be a slow time of year.  What the heck were that many people doing there?

And, no wonder things took so long- they are handing out Magic Bands to everyone who checks in?  I would imagine a large percentage of people who didn't register for their MB's in advance didn't have the first clue what these were or how they worked.

And they set up a table to sell the Rapid JokeTM mugs?  Wow!  That many guests want to buy them?

I am looking forward to the rest of your report!

TCD

Was was surprised to see an Expedia rate also, so I took it. I was shocked to see the mob. There was no special flag toteing groups from what I could see so I gave no idea why it was so busy. The magic bands actually really screwed things up. Many people had no idea what they were. I can't believe the packaging for every single guest. Many had no idea what to do with them. But I will tell you, as soon as they knew how to use them, everyone from youngsters to seniors were scanning them at the store and the food court like it was Black Friday. I'm sure Disney researched how much money guest will spend when you have unlimited cash at the touch of a wrist. Magic joke mugs were being bought by the dozens. Pretty stupid with only one fountain machine from what I saw and all the walking

We're going to be at AoA in a month or so.  I have enjoyed my visits to that resort but have never stayed before.  Great variety of food in the food court, but no bargains (although the Middle Eastern cuisine did not seem too bad for the amounts you received.)

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

A lot more about AOA coming up...mostly all on the poor side

Totally in for more.

Ouch, that was a mess of a wreck check in.

Totally, seeing that was the first joke of the day...lol 

Something funny was going on there. That is not a normal Saturday afternoon on a non-holiday weekend in October.[/]

I was told that the Fort was at 100% this weekend... it seemed more like 125%.

We saw a lot of people in costumes Friday and Saturday nights heading to the Magic Kingdom boats.

I saw somewhere that Christmas, Thanksgiving, and now Halloween are the busiest times at WDW.

We were at the fort Saturday night...more to come

What a mess so far!  The check in, the joke mugs, the overpriced food....it all sounds so un-magical.  Hope things pick up for you.

Actually it turned out to be a great weekend. It gets better :)

Well, on with the trip... We left off having a good but expensive lunch in the food court as I call it and waiting for a text from the desk stating our room was ready. We figured this was a good time to check out the grounds. Here is the main pool you see walking out of the back side of the main building

b8795b458b97f1f451c724a80e3c3385.jpg

The pool is heavily themed With finding nemo, but for a kid themed hotel, all they had was a very small spray zone, no slides at all. The two other pools were barely themed and much smaller

Next was off to the cars area. I believe these are suites which is why this place may have been a bit quieter

b8f4dbd478e9b27fcb320b5cb0cd906a.jpg

Most of the cars area has the life size characters in their elements. Great opportunities for great kid pictures

f4a284403f130cd4b16395cb516754a7.jpg

5ac2bb672ea59fdd1ecc905fff2d4ceb.jpg

2138ef76db7795f982860a6004d627c2.jpg

8b0bf95213b4980845e548626fb81a44.jpg

5e06d87f37831f035f40c47a55ca56fa.jpg

ff2ccdf0a266c9345c82680333c13615.jpg

And who could not forget a classic shot for TCD

fcb486d2a014c59ebed603ce6b06e795.jpg

Here was the best pic I could get of the cars pool while chasing the kids

7f62b4362525c0b9003f1da5968eae8e.jpg

The whole cone thing was cool, but I bet you have to get up pretty early to get one since there are only a few. They are basically a fancy cabana but they are super cool.

Next up is the lion king....

Two comments:

1.  Your son looks exactly like you.

2.  I think he had to go potty in the Cars area.  Or something else was wrong.

TCD

That's my "hates taking pictures" boy. Every time I say smile he gives me a growl...lol. And I think he did need to go