Ants in the Cheerios - Final Update 12/21

Did you ever find out why they didn't meet when they said they would?

Is the camera all fixed now?

Even blurry, the food looks good.

I don't know why they didn't meet us.  Matthew said something but I don't remember.

No, the camera isn't fixed.  It semi works but not the way I want it to.  I have to find my receipt to file my insurance, and I haven't had time to locate it.

The food was good.  Not great, but we all enjoyed it.  Surprisingly the best item was the parmesan-crusted fish.  I don't normally like fish, but this was delicious.

Excellent Wilderness Lodge photos, Gwen!

I hope that you can visit there sometime when the Christmas decorations are up.  The decorations there are my favorite out of all the WDW resorts.

Sorry that your special meal at Whispering Canyon turned out so stressful.  Having to stick to a rigid schedule is one of my main reasons for disliking the Disney Dining Plan.

TCD

Thanks, TCD.  David and I have decided to go in October 2014 right before our APs expire, then wait until November or December 2015 to go back so we can see all the decorations.  Probably the first two weeks of December.

We'd never get the DDP either.  We rarely even make reservations, but I did this time and had a hard time getting them, especially with a group of 8.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you x 2.   The PGA has chaplains, too.  But I don't think he would want to be on the road so much and away from his family right now since his children are so young.  We'll see.

We'd never get the DDP either.  We rarely even make reservations, but I did this time and had a hard time getting them, especially with a group of 8.

The point I was trying to make is that because of the DDP, it is impossible for a family of 8 to have any hope of spontaneously going to eat at a resort sit-down restaurant without a long, long wait.

So, you have to make a reservation months ahead of time, and work your schedule around a dining reservation.  Your family had to rush to get there because you were having fun doing other things.  I think that stinks.

TCD

I think it stinks too.  I'm all for spontaneity at WDW, especially when it's just the two of us.  The rigidity of the DDP would drive me crazy.  How am I supposed to know six months out what/where I'm going to want to eat on the second Tuesday of my trip?!?

But I did learn on this trip that with a group this size, too much spontaneity isn't necessarily a good thing.  As in DDIL who changed her mind every 5 minutes about what to do next.  That added to everyone's stress and irritability.

Great pix.

Sorry about your camera. I hope you can get it fixed/replaced.

I'm on the I hate having to make plans 6 months in advance for dinner.

We have tried on our last two trips to get into BOG with no luck. We are going in may/June and I will be up early to book a rezzie for every night we will be there. Some people will say I'm taking up rezzies that others could use but I say I didn't create the stupid system I just have to get my DD dinner at BOG.

Great pix.

Thanks, Ray!

Sorry about your camera. I hope you can get it fixed/replaced.

I have a multi-year warranty on it, so it should be no problem.

I'm on the I hate having to make plans 6 months in advance for dinner.

We have tried on our last two trips to get into BOG with no luck. We are going in may/June and I will be up early to book a rezzie for every night we will be there. Some people will say I'm taking up rezzies that others could use but I say I didn't create the stupid system I just have to get my DD dinner at BOG.

Hope you are successful on your next trip!

KFK's ghost 

Enjoying the updates, Gwen.  

I am in the camp of someone who does enjoy making a FEW dining reservations in advance....as I enjoy planning.  BUT, only a few key ones, because I do agree that having to plan every moment of the trip in advance is no fun.  And the more trips we have made, the less planning I like to do.  

Thanks, Dave!

I am in the camp of wanting to visit Disney at the least crowded times, walking into any ride with a five minute or less wait, and walking into any restaurant I choose and immediately getting a table. Those days are long gone.

So now when it's just me and David we'll decide one day what we want to do the next and see if we can get reservations.  Or we get dining reservations after we enter the park.  If what we want isn't available, we change our plans.

We did the same thing this trip with FPs.  I got them the night before, whatever was available.  Despite the crowds, we got every FP we wanted.  And also several we didn't want.  If I only ask for one FP, why does the system have to give me three?

A real-life update especially for TJ ...

We had Thanksgiving lunch at my mother's house today.  Erica had to work, but Matthew brought the kids up.  Extreme Einstein and his mom also joined us, along with our older son (Extreme Einstein's father).  We finally got to give them your generous Halloween gifts.  They absolutely loved them and wanted me to give a huge thank you to TJ.  

TgivingforTJ.jpg

We all ate way too much.  I cooked a bacon-woven turkey breast, a huge ham, dressing, gravy, cranberry sauce, carrots, green beans and corn, a baked sweet potato for me, pumpkin pie, and pecan pie.

BACON is the way to go!  That was the moistest, most delicious turkey I've ever had.

Mom fixed sweet potatoes with marshmallows (yuk!) and iced tea.

Other family members brought contributions.

I managed to get through the holiday without mourning for Dad.  And I think Mom did too.  Holidays are the worst, but the kids kept us too busy to think about anything else.

We came home early because tomorrow is an early morning for David.

Again, thank you, TJ, for your extreme generosity!  You made this holiday extra-special for these four of my grandchildren!

I'm so glad you did a bacon weave turkey. Did i inspire that?

The hidden Mickey in the lab is on the right side of the pic. Look at the CD.

Yes, you did inspire me, Kelly!  Thank you! 

Thanks for the tip on the HM.  The ears are fuzzy but I finally saw it.

Friday, November 8 -- Nikon, Fix my Camera!

I was on the phone with Nikon quite awhile.  They told me how to reset my camera, and I tried it over and over, but it didn't help.  So out came the little camera. 

I felt like my right arm had been chopped off.  It's like I can't function properly without my camera.  And my little Nikon, even though it performs very well for what it is, just didn't cut it after experiencing my new awesome camera.

Nikon was supposed to send me an email with instructions on what types of pics they wanted to see (so they could figure out what was going on) but I never got it.  Thankfully I purchased an extended warranty.

I didn't take as many pics as usual that day, but I know I took way more than I found on my SD cards.

We had decided that our last family day would be spent in MK.

Before we arrived Matthew enjoyed Splash with Einstein and Diva.  Unfortunately I got someone else's PP picture and they never did find the correct one.

We started off with the "Jingle" Cruise because that's one thing Einstein really wanted to do.  It was way funnier than the regular version.  And the jokes weren't as corny.  Maybe it was just because I hadn't heard them before.

The boys had a spin on the carousel while Erica and Diva were off to see the princesses.

01Einsteinhorse.jpg

02Miraclehorse.jpg

03Redhorse.jpg

Einstein loves his new hat:

04Einsteinsnewhat.jpg

We headed next to Space Mountain.  We babysat Miracle and Red while M/E rode SM with the big kids.

07babysitting.jpg

We did a couple of rounds on the PeopleMover.

05MiracleonPeoplemover.jpg

06RedonPeoplemovergoinwiththeflow.jpg

On my way to the restroom we found Push.  Miracle and Red loved him.  When I came out Red was dancing to him.  Of course I couldn't get my camera out in time!

We all met back up in the arcade at SM.  Who knew there was a real arcade!?!  And who would want to spend their MK time paying to play games!?!  Apparently a lot of people.

Diva wanted to visit Ariel since she is her favorite princess.

08DivawithAriel.jpg

09dontwelooktired.jpg

We walked back down Main Street and visited Talking Mickey.  He did magic tricks:

10talkingmickey1.jpg

12everyonewithmickey.jpg

If my Photopass CD doesn't arrive on time, Matthew and Erica are gonna use this pic on their Christmas cards:

13themwithmickey.jpg

We loved Talking Mickey!  He was so much fun!

The kids left for the day to check into their one-night hotel, and we went back to the fort to take Kassie for a walk and do some looping.

Okay, time for a Gwen rant.  See this sign?

14obnoxioussign.jpg

Have you ever seen a sign like this at the fort?  Maybe Disney put the sign there, but I doubt it.  It's the wrong color for Disney.  I think the people on the site nailed it on the tree.  If so, shame on them! 

Shame for (1) defacing Disney property and (2) being so rude.

Kassie didn't like the sign either:

15Kassieondogwalk.jpg

17guessillletthatslide.jpg

While looping we visited Doodle, Mike, Lorna, Bob, Kathy, Jugman, and Sheila.

18LornaDoodleJugman.jpg

19MikeKathyBob.jpg

And that was the end of our sixth day at WDW.  Nine more to go.

Ok, so the grandkids are cute, yada, yada, yada,, and the hundreds of Fort and WDW photos of stuff that I'm sure I've never seen before are great too, not to mention that you weren't at your site the three times, yes count them, three times, I stopped by, but you finally got to what I was waiting for. Lookin good Kassie.

15Kassieondogwalk.jpg

Ok, so the grandkids are cute, yada, yada, yada,, and the hundreds of Fort and WDW photos of stuff that I'm sure I've never seen before are great too, not to mention that you weren't at your site the three times, yes count them, three times, I stopped by, but you finally got to what I was waiting for. Lookin good Kassie.

Lou, this is NOT the first picture of Kassie that I've posted in this TR!

And I gave you my cell # last year.  If you had called, we would have been there!  We really wanted to see you.

And I gave you my cell # last year.  If you had called, we would have been there! .

No,no, no missy, you have that backwards.

Most Fiends come to WDW only once a year. They have places to be, and things to do. They need to maximize the use of their time. Where as I'm usually around anyway, I'm the one that should work around their itinerary.

As for the cell phone, you're kidding, right? I don't know what numbers I have, or don't have. Plus a cell phone doesn't do me any good if I don't carry it around. 

No,no, no missy, you have that backwards.

Most Fiends come to WDW only once a year. They have places to be, and things to do. They need to maximize the use of their time. Where as I'm usually around anyway, I'm the one that should work around their itinerary.

As for the cell phone, you're kidding, right? I don't know what numbers I have, or don't have. Plus a cell phone doesn't do me any good if I don't carry it around. 

Excuses, excuses ...

I just love this trip report. Are you a professional photographer? I love the pictures!  I first read your report tonight but have to back up to your first pages and tell you I saw the crazy hair lady!  LOL  She is one person, people will not forget I will give her that. I sat across from her on a bus TO Animal Kingdom!  How crazy is that!?!  I wonder how you can wash hair like that..... She did not look as happy as her hair looked else I would have struck up a conversation with her to ask what she was thinking! 

Thank you, Laura!  So happy you're enjoying my TR.

No, I'm not a professional photographer.  I wish I were, but I'm not good enough.  I just have a great camera and Photoshop for editing.  I took over 3500 photos this trip, and, believe me, there are some bad ones.

We must have been in AK at the same time.  I saw the crazy hair lady at the entrance.  It looked like there was yarn woven into her hair.  What do you think?

Maybe yarn, I could not figure it out at all. How could it be so colorful? So weird. And I still wonder about the cleanliness aspect (yuk) dirty hair freaks me out I don't know why.  You don't see that much in Wisconsin. Here we mostly see fat people wearing green and gold sweat outfits and cheese hats.

Your pictures looked better than the one I just paid a professional to do. I have two good cameras and my pictures ALWAYS turn out wrong.  We ate at chef mickeys one night and I was in charge of photos and got some REALLY sweet pictures of Pluto and my son and daughter after we left I looked through and saw they were ALL blurry. Someone (me) had hit the AF button off.  I am the reason they invented idiot proof cameras.  Where were you when I needed you?

Please keep the pictures coming! EVEN the flower ones. I love them all.

Maybe yarn, I could not figure it out at all. How could it be so colorful? So weird. And I still wonder about the cleanliness aspect (yuk) dirty hair freaks me out I don't know why.  You don't see that much in Wisconsin. Here we mostly see fat people wearing green and gold sweat outfits and cheese hats.

If that really was yarn in her hair, it would be even more difficult to keep clean!

Your pictures looked better than the one I just paid a professional to do.

Thank you, Laura.  That's quite a compliment!

I have two good cameras and my pictures ALWAYS turn out wrong.  We ate at chef mickeys one night and I was in charge of photos and got some REALLY sweet pictures of Pluto and my son and daughter after we left I looked through and saw they were ALL blurry. Someone (me) had hit the AF button off.  I am the reason they invented idiot proof cameras.  Where were you when I needed you?

If you will pay my travel expenses, I'll come along on your next trip and be your personal photographer!  LOL.

Please keep the pictures coming! EVEN the flower ones. I love them all.

There will be more flowers.  That's one of my favorite subjects.

Saturday, November 9 - A Happy/Sad Day

After breakfast the kids came over to Dolly to pick up all their junk things.  Then we all went to Downtown Disney for a few hours.

Diva had all the daily goodies organized for the long ride:

01Divareadytotravel.jpg

02fultons.jpg

Of course we spent time in the Legos store.

03legos1.jpg

03legos2.jpg

And then time in WOD.  David bought us a pair of these.  They match our Christmas tree skirt.

07minnie.jpg

08mickey.jpg

I had never seen these before.  Scary!

05skeletons1.jpg

06skeletons2.jpg

09Miraclehiding.jpg

We followed Red and Miracle around for awhile and watched for hints of what they might like for Christmas.  It worked!

Enstein decided he wanted pins from us for Christmas, so we shopped there awhile.

10pinstore1.jpg

The kids hit the road about 12:30.  They drove to Charleston, SC, to spend a few nights with friends.

11goodbye.jpg

I bought socks for Chris and me to wear during WWW.

12socks.jpg

Shhh!  Don't tell Chris!  They are part of her Christmas gift.

We decided to go to EPCOT and sample at F&WF, so we caught a bus to Yacht Club/Beach Club.  While waiting for the boat to the International Gateway:

13bustobeachclub.jpg

14waitingforboat1.jpg

15birdwaitingforboat.jpg

This was the last F&WF weekend, so we expected it to be crowded.

16epcotcrowd.jpg

The farther we walked, the more crowded it got.  Lines at food booths were 50-100 people long.  We decided not to wait in those lines and walked over to the CS in Germany.  Waited about 20 minutes there for our food, and then there was nowhere to sit.  Finally I found us a spot on the curb beside a trash can.  I ate my bratwurst and kraut while constantly ducking for the trash being passed over my head.

EPCOT was so crowded that they were parking cars on the grass beside the bus stops.

17parkingatbusstop.jpg

And I wasn't the only person taking a picture of the "parking lot."

18someoneelsetakingpic.jpg

After getting back to the fort, we took Kassie for a walk and then went looping.  Ed was getting ready for his half marathon that evening.

19edgettingready.jpg

Rita said something like "come on, Ed, you're supposed to show your macho look."  Here's the result:

20edsmacholook.jpg

Mama:

21mama.jpg

We came back to the moho and saw that we had missed Judy in Texas, who delivered TJ’s great Halloween gifts for the kids.  They are going to love them!  But sorry we didn’t get to meet Judy.  I’ve tried several times to catch Pezheadval at home.  Sometimes it’s hard to track fiends down.

This next day is going to be of no interest to anyone unless you happen to live in the Braden, FL, area and know my cousin.  But I'm including it so my TR will be complete.

Sunday, November 10 - The Beginning of a Totally Different WDW Experience - Yin and Yang

No kids.  No stress.  Just the two of us.  Let the relaxation begin!  These two weeks were total opposites of each other!

As on every morning now, I tried resetting my camera.  Failure again.

We picked up a rental car and spent the day visiting my aunt Jo and uncle Clyde in Lakeland.  We started the day off with breakfast at Bob Evans.  They make wonderful omelets:

01OmeletatBE.jpg

We arrived in Lakeland.  My aunt and uncle:

Jo.jpg

Clyde.jpg

Clyde is munching on a cookie.  It's a Mrs. Hanes Moravian cookie.  They are made here in our hometown.  If you haven't tried them, you don't know what you are missing!  You can check them out here:  http://www.hanescookies.com/hanes_cs/default.asp

My cousin Eric and his beautiful wife Jennifer, who is their primary caretaker:

EricandJennifer.jpg

I so feel for Jennifer and Eric.  This is their first experience being in the "sandwich generation."

We returned home with heavy hearts.  We had so many memories of my father and what we went through taking care of him.  Clyde is the last surviving brother of the family.  Jo has survived a stroke and is pretty much immoble, but Clyde, like Dad, has many serious health issues.  I won't be surprised if this was the last time we see him alive.

It felt good to be home.

FWsign.jpg

Monday, November 11 - Daddy, Can I Sleep in my Own Bed Tonight?

Resetting my camera finally worked.  But only on Programmed Auto.  This meant I couldn't use my shutter-priority settings.  No high shutter speed/high ISO settings.  No capability to do low-light shots.  But anything was better than nothing.

Meanwhile, M/E and the kids left Charleston and drove home.  They had slept in four different places during their trip.  Miracle asked, "Daddy, can I sleep in my own bed tonight?"

Waiting for the boat:

001boatcoming.jpg

002beach.jpg

003birdonwater.jpg

Our destination was the Magic Kingdom.  This is our favorite park.  We visited WDW so many times when our children were young when this was the only park.  I'd be content today if this still were the only park.

Up to the top of the train station to get my wide angle and zoom shots with the decorations up:

005mainstreet.jpg

Would love to be able to get a shot straight down Main Street without the flagpole being in the way!

006closeupdangflagpole.jpg

007car.jpg

008decorations.jpg

009castleinmorninglight.jpg

010adventurelandsign.jpg

011walkinginadventureland.jpg

012tikiroom.jpg

013flower.jpg

Our first stop was POTC. 

014potc1.jpg

Here are some examples of my epic failure because of my camera not working correctly:

015potc2.jpg

016potc3.jpg

017potc4.jpg

Then we walked up to the Haunted Mansion.

018nocrowds.jpg

019roofline.jpg

020walkingtohm.jpg

My pictures there were even worse.  We continued walking.

021walkingfurther.jpg

022walkingfurtheryet.jpg

024destination1.jpg

025destination2.jpg

023morewalking.jpg

026tonfl01.jpg

027tonfl02.jpg

028tonfl03.jpg

029tonfl04.jpg

030tonfl05.jpg

To be continued ...

Monday, November 11 - Daddy, Can I Sleep in my Own Bed Tonight?

Up to the top of the train station to get my wide angle and zoom shots with the decorations up:

005mainstreet.jpg

Would love to be able to get a shot straight down Main Street without the flagpole being in the way!

To be continued ...

There is one day of the year that you can do that..... but you don't want to be there that day.  The day they film the Christmas Parade, the flagpole goes..... but so do all the Main Street garlands across the road. Then after the parade taping, the tree goes up, the road garlands go back up, and a smaller flagpole is placed to the side. (The tree is actually where the flagpole is now)

Enjoying all the pics Gwen....they are all better than the ones i take......settings or no settings....

LOL, Aaron.  You aren't giving yourself enough credit.

There is one day of the year that you can do that..... but you don't want to be there that day.  The day they film the Christmas Parade, the flagpole goes..... but so do all the Main Street garlands across the road. Then after the parade taping, the tree goes up, the road garlands go back up, and a smaller flagpole is placed to the side. (The tree is actually where the flagpole is now)

You're right - I don't want to be there that day.  Thanks for the info!