Another Auld Lang Syne: The TCD Gang Rings in 2014 @ The Fort!

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yay another report!   War Eagle!!!    I have never seen the garland in person so bummer.  But it also irks me a little that it blocks the view of the castle.   I was in the night time parade when I wa

OOPS....My bad it's a case of fat fingers on an 8" screen... Didn't see it until you mentioned it. That is one thing that we need is a way to correct those.

The CM with Hullahoop is Barbara. She is a legend among anyone who has worked MS. She is Walt reincarnated as a woman. She is a blast to work with and always has a smile on her face and dances around.

Darn! We were up. The boy scouts made sure of that. We were just hiding from the rain for a bit and probably headed out for the MK about 10:30.

LOL.  The woods were crawling with Boy Scouts!  There was a rather larger group of them on the other side of the canal from you trying to find a way across.  I'm sure they must have known about the bridge from the 900 loop, but I guess that would have been too easy.  And too quiet.  I'll check my photos to see what time I was by your site.  I think I just missed you the second time.

1400 has its own bus stop. 

And I think 1200 is the 2nd smallest by number of sites?

Yes, you are correct on both counts.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

But, I forgot something . . .

I've only stayed in 2000 and I always thought that bus stop was only for 2000. Maybe I'm wrong.

Dagnabit!  You're right!

When I first wrote up this last update, I first stated that the 1500 loop was the only loop with its own bus stop.   Then I remembered the 1400 loop, and I fixed it.  I completely forgot about the 2000 loop. 

I could pull a Chuck Woolery and go back and change my post, but, then you'd expose my fraud via your webtracking skills.  So I'll just go ahead and come clean and admit I made a boo-boo.

Good job.

I'm not wrong often.  And when I am, I try to go back and cover my tracks.  But, I can't do that this time.

So, you get bragging rights too!

I think you are correct.  I also think I was correct with 1400....unless TCD considers that 2 loops (Big Bear and Little Bear) even though it's 1 number. 

Yeah, I could make the two-loop argument, but I consider the 1400 loop to be one loop, and it does have its own bus stop.

So, this is just a rare instance where I was wrong.

I'm man enough to admit it.

TCD

LOL.  The woods were crawling with Boy Scouts!  There was a rather larger group of them on the other side of the canal from you trying to find a way across.  I'm sure they must have known about the bridge from the 900 loop, but I guess that would have been too easy.  And too quiet.  I'll check my photos to see what time I was by your site.  I think I just missed you the second time.

Yes, you are correct on both counts.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

But, I forgot something . . .

Dagnabit!  You're right!

When I first wrote up this last update, I first stated that the 1500 loop was the only loop with its own bus stop.   Then I remembered the 1400 loop, and I fixed it.  I completely forgot about the 2000 loop. 

I could pull a Chuck Woolery and go back and change my post, but, then you'd expose my fraud via your webtracking skills.  So I'll just go ahead and come clean and admit I made a boo-boo.

Good job.

I'm not wrong often.  And when I am, I try to go back and cover my tracks.  But, I can't do that this time.

So, you get bragging rights too!

Yeah, I could make the two-loop argument, but I consider the 1400 loop to be one loop, and it does have its own bus stop.

So, this is just a rare instance where I was wrong.

I'm man enough to admit it.

TCD

You could pull a Larry and bait us into an argument, then go back, revise your original post, and complain to Jen. 

Well now that Kelly and Leslie are writing TRs and you are providing bonus material, i should probably calm down a bit on the PB uploading.

I wont even mention that sham "bonus" material that Troll is writing.

Yeah, why rush?

Troll isn't finished with his September TR yet.

You have plenty of time.

You could pull a Larry and bait us into an argument, then go back, revise your original post, and complain to Jen. 

Brilliant.

I miss the good old days.  The only problem with this is that Jen would tell me to stick it. (and rightly so).

TCD

:jumpforjoy:  Yay A bonus feature after the Friday Fizzle!!!

1.  I agree that you miss a lot if you only tour the Fort by golf cart.

2.  The bridge is awesome.  Marty and I made a point to walk across it at WWW...both ways...on purpose.  That area is beautiful and shouldn't be missed.

3.  You are doing something right if your college age daughters drag you along on their day trip.  Even if it is just so you will show up with a big wad of cash.  

:jumpforjoy:  Yay A bonus feature after the Friday Fizzle!!!

1.  I agree that you miss a lot if you only tour the Fort by golf cart.

2.  The bridge is awesome.  Marty and I made a point to walk across it at WWW...both ways...on purpose.  That area is beautiful and shouldn't be missed.

3.  You are doing something right if your college age daughters drag you along on their day trip.  Even if it is just so you will show up with a big wad of cash.  

Good for you and Marty!  You are true Fiends!

I do consider it a blessing that the girls invited me along.  Which is the main reason I went.  Our opportunities to visit WDW are much more limited now.  So, if I get a chance, I'm going.

9 out of 10 daughters will tell you, there ain't much better than a Daddy's wallet.  

I know that you are working on getting 10 daughters, but I'm going to stop at 3.  That's plenty enough.

In the TCD household, 3 out of 3 daughters will tell you there is nothing better that Old Pappi's wallet.

Loving the extra bonus material!

Glad to hear that.

Because there's more on the way.

Nice try.....get back to uploading those pictures.

Yeah, Aaron.

If you don't get started soon, people might start to nag.

TCD

Time for some more bonus material.

We left off staring across the old Fishin' Hole at the Bike Barn.

Remember those new signs for "Fishin' at the Fort?"

I found an article in an on-line business journal that explains what this is all about: http://blog.tradeonlytoday.com/dealer_outlook/?p=1649

So, this initiative is something sponsored by the Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation.  Which allegedly is a not for profit corporation.  But which apparently is very well funded.

The article specifically mentions the Fort:

fishingarticle_zps8e4713b7.jpg

Can you read that?

There's going to be dockside fishing?

Like on Bob's Dock?

Does Bob know about this?

And, do you see that bit about the casting contest that's going to take place at the campfire?

Really?

This article was written in July.

Has anybody seen any signs of a casting contest for kids at the campfire?

Oh, and make sure to read the part there at the end of the article about how the RBFF has an initiative to reach the country's growing Hispanic population.

Fuego!

Well, this is all very interesting.

A lot of money and fuss about taking kids fishing.

I'm all for taking kids fishing.

In fact, back in the day, the TCD girls fished the waters of the Fort with their Tweety Bird and Barbie fishing poles many, many times.  I think someone also had an Elmo fishing pole.  I'm not sure - but I remember it was red.  Could have been a Mickey Mouse fishing pole.

But we didn't need no stinking Take Me Fishin' initiative.

Thank you very much.

Whatever.

At least this might get kids to look up from their electronic gadgets.  So, I'm in favor.  I think.

But, the Fort better do something about the water quality in the old Fishin' hole:

2113031_zpsb613001d.jpg

There's Bob's dock, which at this moment was empty and Bob-less, under a beautiful gray sky:

2113032_zps6fa4679e.jpg

You know how Florida is called the Sunshine State?  That's a fair nickname.  I remember the winters I spent as a youth in beautiful New Jersey.  The sky would be the color of cement for months on end.  We never saw the sun.  That's what the sky reminded me of this morning.  Thankfully, I knew it wasn't going to last.  The bus driver this morning told me that it was done raining.  Woo Hoo!

Usually when I visit the Meadow Trading Post, I arrive at or before opening time.  That typically means there won't be other folks hanging around.  Well, this morning I was here well past opening time, so there were guests enjoying the back porch:

2113033_zps0556b6f0.jpg

I walked around to the corner of the porch to gaze upon the emerald waters of the Fishin' Hole:

2113034_zpsb140a54a.jpg

You can see the lights of my other favorite footbridge reflecting off of the green water across the way.  The campers you see are on the 1400 loop.

The gum trees here along the water have also dropped all of their leaves:

2113035_zpsceb2bf0e.jpg

There was just one lonely rocking chair here on the side porch.  Apparently, this is a designated smoking area:

2113036_zpse7100677.jpg

There was a pair of rockers around front.  I thought about sitting and rocking a spell on one of them, but I had limited time this morning, so I had to pass:

2113037_zps67fe8b33.jpg

I also contemplated recording a short video of one of the songs playing on the music loop.  I heard an instrumental version of the Ballad of Davy Crockett as I was walking around the corner.  That was good.  But, it was almost over before I thought about recording it.  I'll make sure to make a video the next time I'm here.

For now, though, I was going to see if I could find the Troll on the 900 loop, which is right across the way:

2113038_zpse3a1d058.jpg

I found the Troll's site.  But, there were no signs of life.  I think the Trolls like to sleep in.  It had been a rainy night and morning, so I figured the Troll was probably hibernating there in his Troll box. 

I walked right out the back of the 900 loop and toward the group camping area.  I knew that GeorgiaDawgFan and her family were camped on the 2000 loop, so I thought I'd pay them a visit too.

The Troll already scooped me on this small bit of news, but they've placed one of the old style log benches next to the old rusty dog poop trash can in the pet walk area behind the 800/900 loops:

2113039_zps20e4429b.jpg

I didn't walk over there.  But one day I will.  I don't expect that you would want to sit on that bench unless the wind was blowing in the right direction.

The group camping area was loaded with tents:

2113040_zpsa6f7ee87.jpg

If you take an immediate left after crossing the bridge, there are paths that wind their way to the back of the 2000 loop.  There were about a million kids on those paths, running through the woods, chasing each other with sticks, and screaming at the tops of their lungs. I don't have photos, as I figure it's creepy to take photos of other peoples' kids, but there were screaming kids everywhere.

I found the GDF site on the 2000 loop.  There was a car and a golf cart there, which meant they were probably around.  But, there were no signs of life.  I stood there for just a short time-not long enough to be a stalker-but too short to hear any signs of life, so I moved on.  I also had to get going because it was starting to rain again.  What a surprise- the bus driver gave me bad info.

But, since I'm an Eagle Scout, I had my ponchos and an umbrella in my back pack.  No big deal.  Still, I had to move on.

I walked back the way I came.  The kids running through the woods were enjoying the rain.  I hope they had enough dry clothes to change in to.

The Troll box was still shut tight as I passed by the second time.

I walked over to the Meadow Trading Post porch, and it really started raining then.

Dang.

My plan had been to walk through the 1400 loop, then through the 300 loop, and out to the dam area.

But it was raining hard.

I guess I would just skip it and go get that breakfast sandwich.

The Orange Settlement bus passed by as I stood there reformulating my plan.  That meant another one wasn't going to be by for a while.  So, I decided to go ahead and walk through the 1400 loop.  If the rain didn't let up, then I would wait for a Yellow bus at the 1400 loop bus stop.  That would take me by the 400 loop, and I could see if Grumpy/Dave was up.

So, here I am walking from the Meadow Trading Post to the 1400 loop.  We're already near the Bike Barn.  I like the yellow leaves on this tree:

2113041_zps33c21418.jpg

You can't tell, but it was raining pretty good a this point.

I think you'll be able to see the rain in this next photo, which also shows the new Fishin' at the Fort sign on the Bike Barn fence:

2113042_zps17b43199.jpg

I made it to the 1400 loop bus stop, and decided that was far enough.  I would have to skip the rest of my walk and wait for a bus.  Even with the umbrella, I would get wet, and my shoes would be soaked.  No thanks.

There was another one of the old log benches here in the 1400 loop bus stop:

2113043_zpsbc0efc73.jpg

You see how it's wet?

The 1400 loop bus stop doesn't have a back wall like the 1500 loop bus stop.  Too bad for the Premium campers.

It was raining pretty good at this point:

2113045_zpsaf78a822.jpg

As I stood there thinking how it sucked to be me, God sent this couple by to remind me that things could always be worse:

2113046_zps49b1a4f0.jpg

2113047_zpsa937c57f.jpg

2113048_zps923d7d27.jpg

By the way, there was a kid in the trailer behind the guy's bike.

It does not suck to be me.  It sucks to be that kid.

Hey look, it's the yellow bus.  I had been here under cover for exactly two minutes:

2113049_zpsad0b7b0f.jpg

The bus pulled up, and I got on.  It was a different bus driver. So I couldn't thank him for the earlier weather prediction.

The bus took me to the Settlement.

I saw Grumpy/Dave's site on the way there. But it was still raining, and I wasn't up for walking back that way.

On the way to the Settlement, I checked my phone and noticed that I hadn't heard from the girls.  They were supposed to text me when they left.  I had texted them earlier to let them know that I was already here.  But they hadn't responded.  I figured they had probably been in a hurry, and just forgot to send the text when they hit the road, so I texted them again.  I figured they would text me back an update soon, and we would pick and exact time and place to meet.

At the Settlement bus stop, I ran into a couple of guys checking their phones for the weather.  They said the radar showed this big rain cell, and then nothing.  So that was good.

There were more azaleas blooming here:

2113050_zpse8a0d88a.jpg

Here's a look over to the TCD Farm, and that famous TCD sign:

2113051_zps80cec2b5.jpg

And here we have the (maybe) future site of the BADVCPL  (Big A** Disney Vacation Club Parking Lot) :

2113052_zps4909cfdd.jpg

Here's a look at the platform for the old Coachmen trailer display.  There aren't many around who remember this, but I do:

2113053_zps51beba68.jpg

And here is beautiful Pioneer Hall, which one day may border the BADVCPL instead of that lovely verdant field:

2113054_zps157d4a4d.jpg

Can you believe that anyone would even think about making this beautiful field into a BADVCPL?:

2113055_zpsa7140c59.jpg

I headed on over to Pioneer Hall, and the rain started to let up:

2113056_zpsda79c20f.jpg

I was happy to see that there was a CM on duty at the Trail's End take out register as I walked toward the entrance doors on the porch.  I pulled the doors open, and stepped in. Just as I did, a woman with a giant stroller and a kid on a leash, came rushing in from my right, walked right in front of me and dogged me to the register.  Where had she come from?  Came in the wrong door I guess?  I knew I was in trouble when she asked for the take-out menu.  As she stood there staring at it as if it was written in hieroglyphics, her little darling was finger painting with his own snot on the glass display case.  He then started pointing and screaming at something in the display case.  Just then, another woman walked up with a larger kid in her arms and laughed at the first one about how they had finally found the take-out counter.  In the meantime, I'm standing there ready to order my one little breakfast sandwich and be on my way.  But, not before this duo examined the entire menu.  Then, the second lady had to make a phone call to tell her husband, I presume, what was on the menu.  When she got out her phone, she put the kid she was holding down, and the first lady handed the leash to the bigger kid.  The bigger kid then walked the kid on the leash around like a dog.  The kid on the leash didn't like that, so he screamed some more,  HIs mom, of course, ignored him, and then the kid on the leash did one of those tantrums where you lay on the floor and thrash.  He must have known that one usually worked, but today it didn't.  The mom ignored him, and continued in her discussion with her wingman about which of the three items on the menu they should order.  Sheez!  That was bad.  But you know what would have been worse?  If I was married to one of these women. Good Lord.  Their poor husbands.  And, I really feel sorry for the kid on the leash.  That is not going to turn out well.  Trust me.

Finally, those two ordered their breakfast, and it was my turn.  The CM apologized for my wait and even gave me a knowing eye roll.  I asked if I could order a breakfast sandwich, and she said sure.  I got the bacon, egg and cheese.  Hold the potatoes.  She gave me my beeper, and I made my way over to the side porch.  The dynamic duo and their special snowflake kids were terrorizing the porch in front of the take out counter, so I wanted to be as far away from them as I could.

I stopped to admire the bare Crape Myrtle trees that stand in the fenced in circle near the porch:

2113057_zps1e800a0a.jpg

I was going to sit and wait in a rocking chair, but they were all in use:

2113058_zps947659fa.jpg

So, I had to sit at a picnic table.  They were all open.  I was close enough to eavesdrop on the conversation of the old dudes in the rockers.

It turns out that this was a group of Chowds.  And not just any Chowds.  I believe the proper term for these guys is Massholes.  Oh boy, they discussed a lot of topics.  My favorite one was about what kind of potato chips you could get in Florida.  Or more like, what kind you couldn't.  Apparently, there are some kind of potato chips they have back in Massholechusetts that are superior to what they can get in Florida.  I wanted to say that if that was such a problem, then maybe they should just stay there.  But, my beeper went off. Time to go fetch my sandwich and come back to listen to some more Chowd talk.

I snapped one more photo of the Settlement area as I headed in for my sandwich- I took this to show that the rain had stopped. Hopefully for good:

2113059_zps427ba1c1.jpg

It turns out that I didn't return to the picnic table to eat my sandwich.

I found out that I had another option. Chowd free.

And I ate there.

I'll tell you where in the next update.  We are at the photo limit again.

TCD

Potato chips? Here is an idea. Bring a bag with you and you have one less thing to b***h about.

So the fiends must have all had a heck of a night since they were all tuckered out when you made the rounds.

Kids on a leash. Seems like a bad idea.

Well, dagnabit, I missed y'all by mere days again.  One of these days...

And, I also am a complete sucker to be invited along to do something with my girls even if it's just for the money in my wallet.  Manicures, shopping, trips, etc. - at the age mine are now, I'll buy that time with them happily!

I didn't realize Communist regimes gave their comrades many choices in potato chips.  That's good to know.   

Let them eat chips.

I guess it keeps their minds off the real issues.

Like that they live in a state full of Massholes.

Potato chips? Here is an idea. Bring a bag with you and you have one less thing to b***h about.

So the fiends must have all had a heck of a night since they were all tuckered out when you made the rounds.

Kids on a leash. Seems like a bad idea.

You know, on further reflection, it probably wouldn't be bad if all I had to gripe about was not being able to find my favorite potato chips while sitting on the porch at Crockett's Tavern on a rainy Saturday morning.

Yeah, Troll and GDF were wasting their days away sleeping.  Like they were on vacation or something.

It actually was a good idea that kid was on a leash.  I hate to think what would happen if he was running loose.

Oh yeah......

FUEGO!

Yup.

I mean Si.

Bonus material!   :banana:

Glad you're enjoying it.

I have plenty.

I've been AWOL for a while from FF and it's nice to come back to a TCD report that has not one, but TWO bonuses (or is it bonusi?). 

Anyway...good to be back. It's like I never left.  ^-^

Hey!  Great to see a post from you!

Welcome back!

There's more bonus2 on the way.

You will be hearing my thoughts on those boy scouts and get some pictures in my report! Let's just say that we will NEVER stay on the 2000 loop again. 

Still bummed we missed you! We could have ganged up and taken out some boy scouts! LOL

Uh oh.  A GDF rant?  I can't wait.  I've done my darndest to avoid the 2000 loop too.  One of these days, my luck will run out.

Well, dagnabit, I missed y'all by mere days again.  One of these days...

And, I also am a complete sucker to be invited along to do something with my girls even if it's just for the money in my wallet.  Manicures, shopping, trips, etc. - at the age mine are now, I'll buy that time with them happily!

Funny.  GDF came even closer.  She apparently was right inside her camper while I was standing there in the rain.

So what's the word on your oldest?  Is she going to be going away to school, or staying close to home?

Foreshadowing = girls not returning a text quickly. I have a bad feeling that TCD is going to have some extra time to tour the Fort. But that could be good for all us TR readers

You have read too many TCD TR's Fred.

Stay tuned to see if you guessed right.

Sons will tell you the same thing.

LOL.

Even though DIT is a professional beancounter, I think he may have been off with that 9 out of 10 daughters stat.  I think it's 10 out of 10.  Or even 1000 out of 1000.

TCD

Even though DIT is a professional beancounter, I think he may have been off with that 9 out of 10 daughters stat.  I think it's 10 out of 10.  Or even 1000 out of 1000.

TCD

Statistically, around 10% of daughters that have not yet gone off on their own in the world are under the age of 3.  They don't really care about cash.  Yet.