Another Auld Lang Syne: The TCD Gang Rings in 2014 @ The Fort!

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yay another report!   War Eagle!!!    I have never seen the garland in person so bummer.  But it also irks me a little that it blocks the view of the castle.   I was in the night time parade when I wa

OOPS....My bad it's a case of fat fingers on an 8" screen... Didn't see it until you mentioned it. That is one thing that we need is a way to correct those.

The CM with Hullahoop is Barbara. She is a legend among anyone who has worked MS. She is Walt reincarnated as a woman. She is a blast to work with and always has a smile on her face and dances around.

Right....can you imagine the boat ride down that canal for poor Alastair, Contessa, Buffy and Chauncy?

Boat ride, what boat ride?

On a recent tour of Golden Oaks, boat service was not mentioned as a perk.

Transportation consists of a mini-coach which residents, and I'm assuming the 4 Seasons resort, will call to take you to the attractions.

Transportation consists of a mini-coach which residents, and I'm assuming the 4 Seasons resort, will call to take you to the attractions.

The boat comments originated from the long dialogue a few weeks ago speculating whether they were going to remove the dam to provide boat service to the FS. 

You just brought back some other memories for me.  I was there when Johnson Hall burned down.  We all gathered to watch the old building burn.  And some idiots set up a speaker system blaring Burning Down The House and everyone danced.  College kids can be pretty obnoxious.  Although it was pretty funny....and thankfully no one was seriously hurt that day AFAIK. 

Although, I doubt anyone would have been dancing had we known there were thousands of bats flying overhead looking for a place to crash. 

Glad to provide the flashback for you, Dave.

Burning Down the House.   Now, there's a song I haven't thought about for a long time.

I don't even remember where Johnson Hall was, or hearing that it had burned.  I was long gone from UF when that happened.

The 10th daughter being mine, who usually has more money in her wallet than her Daddy does.  :))  Not having to support a family or even herself is mighty nice on the wallet.  Time for her to start paying room and board!

A self-supporting child?  Sound nice.  Congratulations.

Hey, maybe the Fort will have a new activity...  "bat watching at dusk".  Canoe down the canal and hope you don't get "attacked" from overhead.  :/

How much would they charge for that?

LOL.  Don't give them any ideas.  They can charge extra for ponchos to protect from things dropping from the sky.

I'd rather have the bats than them spraying poison on me any day. Unlike most of you I'm not afraid of them, even if they bite....hopefully only insects!

You're not afraid of bats?

Don't come crying to me when you turn into a vampire.

I'm going to have to remember to bring strings of garlic and wooden stakes the next time I camp at the Fort.

That is a pretty big bat house.  Maybe they're planning on bringing over those enormous bats from the Animal Kingdom to set up house.  I can't even look at them, they're even creepier than Devine.

Those BAFB (Big A** Fruit Bats) are awesome!  But, I don't think you have to worry, I don't think that's what will be living in the BABH.

What an update!

I have learned a lot of valuable information today! I admit, I had never heard of a bat house until today, let alone seen photos of them!! Who knew!

Now I know to NEVER stand under a bat house should I ever come across one!

Heidi

See, reading TCD TR's is beneficial.

What if you came across a BABH and stood beneath it just as that urine soaked wood gave way?

Its fun to throw rocks up toward the flying bats and have them nose dive. I may need an after hours trip to this BABH.

According to the UF website, this type of activity is against Florida Law.

Sounds like they're going to need to post a Fort Ranger out there to keep an eye out for your type.

Ah! Bats! Rats with wings! WTF? NASCAR Guy strikes again!

True.

And contrary to popular belief, those flying rats are not silent.  You can hear their high-pitched squeaking.  Imagine that as you and Mrs. Troll are enjoying your coffee at your log coffee table.

Sorry if I missed this but do they have any permits to modify\remove the dam? I see the one posted to build the BABH but I would think they would need something else if they were going to alter the dam.

It makes me wonder if they might be doing something to allow water traffic up to the new 4 seasons? But, if they were doing that I would think they would have to do some sort of modification to the bridge going over the canal closer to the 1800 loop as well.

On second thought I guess I should ask... Is that canal wide\deep enough to support boat traffic?

A couple of us have looked for permits relating to the dam work, and haven't found any.  The speculation is that maybe they didn't need one if they were only repairing what already existed. 

There has been quite a bit of discussion on this and other threads about whether they could possibly be removing this dam to allow boat traffic to the new Four Seasons. 

I think the canal could support boat traffic- they have boats running from  Port Orleans and Old Key West resorts that travel through canals that are about this size.

However, from what I saw, they are not removing the dam. They poured a new spillway.  This suggests that the canal and bridge are not being removed, and there will be no way for boats to enter Bay Lake from the canal.

Also, don't miss the tidbit about how the thousands of bats they initially tried to move into the bat house left and established residence elsewhere. Wouldn't that be a hoot at the Fort to have thousands of bats looking for a place to crash? Maybe under your awning?

================================

My brother in law last spring opened up his patio umbrella for the first time since fall and promptly have a family of bats come flying out at his face. Every time after that he smacks it a few times while it's closed to alert visitors to leave before he opens it.

Bat houses have their place, but it's on the perimeters of populated areas where they aren't disturbed and don't freak out the populace.

I have seen them removing bats from a bus stop and the Bike Barn at the Fort.  And there are small bat houses already in place out by the 2100 cabin loop and the group camping area.  There is a bat population already at the Fort.  I'm not sure what they're thinking with that huge bat house, though.

TCD

We have talked about building a bat house to help control the insect population - we back up on a swampy area, so it can get annoying.

When you showed the picture of the BABh, I figured you were about to report what the real function of that structure would be.  No way could that be a bat house.  Then you showed the pictures of the others.  That's just creepy.  Really, really creepy.  

Hmmm... I wonder how my Home Owners Association would react to a BABH? >:D

I knew from the permit and something that Aaron had posted here that the new Bat House was going to be big- but I was surprised to see how big it actually is.

There are already a number of smaller bat houses on poles around the Fort.  Why they need this giant one is beyond me.

I'm thinking the open shelter near the pool will make a perfect alternate BABH... you know, the one with picnic tables under it where folks eat lunch... on bat urine soaked wood! But speaking of stench, I think the idea of boat service on the canal can be retired once and for all. There is no way they are going to shuttle all those rich folks within a few dozen feet of a festering open latrine.

Perhaps bats in that pavilion by the pool would keep away some of the freeloaders too.  Nah, they probably eat grilled bat.

I agree with you that I think the boat service to the Four Seasons discussion can be retired.

Right....can you imagine the boat ride down that canal for poor Alastair, Contessa, Buffy and Chauncy?  "Pay no attention to the filthy campers on the left side of your boat.....and don't worry about the right side.  Those are animatronic bats.  Really, they are!  Close your eyes, the Magic Kingdom is coming right up.  Chop chop!"

Not gonna happen.  

LOL.

Love the names.

Wow, that's a VERY realistic Smell-it-zer they're using on that boat ride!

I wonder if the smells will make it to the 300 loop.  If the wind is right, I say yes.

What?

What are you doing posting on a TR?

Time to adjust your meds again?

The boat comments originated from the long dialogue a few weeks ago speculating whether they were going to remove the dam to provide boat service to the FS. 

Good job, Dave, but a waste of time.  I think Lou landed on this thread by mistake.  He's probably not going to see your reply.

TCD

I have seen them removing bats from a bus stop and the Bike Barn at the Fort.  And there are small bat houses already in place out by the 2100 cabin loop and the group camping area.  There is a bat population already at the Fort.  I'm not sure what they're thinking with that huge bat house, though.

TCD

Best mosquito and insect control Mother Nature can provide.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=1816

I don't even remember where Johnson Hall was, or hearing that it had burned.  I was long gone from UF when that happened.

Johnson Hall was where the main dining hall was located, and where you likely went to get set up on your dining plan or add money to your dining account.  It was a grease fire that started the inferno.  And I'm not exagerating....it was quite the blaze.  It was one of the really old, brick buildings and was a shame to lose it. 

Best mosquito and insect control Mother Nature can provide.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=1816

More false propaganda from the vampires.

Bats are harmless?

Don't you believe it.

Unless you want to have to hide from the sun and sleep in a closet hanging upside down.

Johnson Hall was where the main dining hall was located, and where you likely went to get set up on your dining plan or add money to your dining account.  It was a grease fire that started the inferno.  And I'm not exagerating....it was quite the blaze.  It was one of the really old, brick buildings and was a shame to lose it. 

So, that's what happened to it.

It's weird to visit the campus now.  I've been back many times for football games, but hadn't been around a lot of the old buildings where I used to have classes.

What used to be the bookstore is now a food court.  The building I used to know as GPA (General Purpose building A-what an 80's name) is now called Turlington Hall. I could go on. Nothing looks the same, but then every now and then, you'll see something familiar.  It gives you a very strange sensation.

TCD

We need an update.

This is just bonus content, and this trip report is getting old.  I started this one way back on January 6th.  And here it is February 7th.  If I don't get this wrapped up, I'm going to be as bad as the Troll posting on a six month old TR, like it's all one trip.

We left off at the dam.

I'll bet you thought you had seen all the dam photos.

Well you bet wrong.

We're just now on the other side of the dam.  There's a metal wall installed all the way across the canal here too.  And look at those ladders.  Did you know the canal was that deep?:

2113122_zpsac11a0f6.jpg

They have those yellow turbidity curtains stretched across the canal here too:

2113124_zps5bc4f68f.jpg

The other orange life ring is still here- but also in an inaccessible place.  I hope if anyone falls in, he knows how to swim.  Or at least how to stand up in the mud:

2113125_zps8a954311.jpg

Get used to the BABH.  It's the first thing you're going to see as you come out of the 300 loop from now on:

2113126_zps9b0e256f.jpg

Here's a look at the dam mess from the bridge:

2113128_zps4dc6bc2f.jpg

And here's a look the other way from the same place- you can see that there's another yellow turbidity curtain down the canal, and that big dumpster is still over there on the pet walk area:

2113129_zps3067ba06.jpg

I decided to go an take a look in the dumpster since I hadn't looked the last time.  As I headed that way, some golf cart rebels came speeding out of the 300 loop.  Where's a Ranger when you need one?:

2113130_zpse48ee384.jpg

This is a photo of the dumpster and the Four Seasons towers which are clearly visible from here- but you can't see them too well today since it's not sunny:

2113131_zps9b8b156f.jpg

The last time I looked in the dumpster, there was some very convincing evidence that Iranian Nuclear Scientists had been involved with the work that is going on in this area.  They must be monitoring this site, though, as they were more careful to dispose of their Good and Plenty boxes elsewhere:

2113132_zpsd07e5406.jpg

Nothing interesting in there- just a bunch of construction debris.

Here's one more photo showing how that darned Four Seasons resorts totally ruins the view from back here.  The only problem is you can't see it in this photo.  But it's there I tell you.  And it's horrible:

2113133_zps6bb9d0ca.jpg

I am sure you will be happy to hear that this is my last photo of the BABH.  Now we can move on:

2113134_zps8f7ccd03.jpg

And, now we're in the 300 loop.

I decided to take a few photos since there was some discussion on ff.net not too long ago about how some of the sites on the 300 loop are difficult to back in to.  The problem isn't the size of the sites, but how the loop is configured, and the obstructions that are out along the road. 

So, let's take a look-this is the stretch of the loop near the exit to the dog walk area- you can see the road is narrow, and there are trees, trashcans, recycling bins, and other campers cars parked close to the narrow road:

2113135_zpsa2eb9661.jpg

Here's a typical 300 loop site- you see that big fake concrete tree stump? You certainly don't want to hit that backing in:

2113136_zpsb70ae8bb.jpg

There used to be a strictly enforced rule that each campsite could only have one RV or tent and one car parked at it.  Then they built the premium sites, and that rule went out the window.  But not just for the premium sites- they now let people cram cars into the other types of sites too.  This is what leads to all the cars being parked right at the edge of the pavement:

2113137_zps6c5c1b96.jpg

2113138_zps9418cad1.jpg

So, too bad if you need to pull up a bit to straighten out when you're trying to back in while dodging trash cans and fake concrete tree stumps.  Have a magical day.

There's the 300 loop bus stop- look at the sad bench that's here on the 300 loop side of the road.  No back on it:

2113139_zpsb5443a99.jpg

Speaking of the idiots who run the Fort, let's take a look at something ingenious that most of you probably don't know about.

When the Fort first opened, they didn't allow any pets.

Then, after a while, they made the 1600-1900 loops pet friendly.  If you wanted to bring your dog-that's where you had to stay.

Then they built a dog park.

And they decided to open up more loops to pets.

But, they wanted to have some rules as to where pets could and couldn't go.

Rather than write these rules up so everyone could have them and follow them, they decided to handle things with signs.

So dog owners are supposed to follow the signs to keep their dogs out of the areas where dogs aren't allowed.

Let's take a look at an example of that.

The 300 loop is the only one of the three preferred loops which is pet friendly.  That makes sense since it's right next to the dog park.

Hey look, here comes a camper with her two dogs coming back from a visit to the dog park:

2113140_zps80121a1e.jpg

Do you know she's breaking the pet rules?

Well she is.

I'll bet she doesn't know it, but there's a sign right here on the sidewalk to let guests leaving the 300 loop that they can't bring their dogs near the playground:

2113141_zps130b5381.jpg

2113142_zps91c6495e.jpg

Where this gets tricky is that the dog park is right over there just past the playground.

So how are the dogs supposed to get to the dog park?

They're supposed to cross the road here by the golf cart parking area:

2113143_zpsa69a477b.jpg

And walk up this sidewalk on the other side of the road:

2113144_zps4d4dbc0b.jpg

2113145_zpsbfcad224.jpg

And then cross back over at the crosswalk:

2113146_zps5bf3c423.jpg

Please note that there is no sign over there on the other side of the road that tells guests leaving the dog park that dogs are not allowed to walk past the playground.  I guess guests are supposed to remember that sign on the other side.

How dumb is this?

Really dumb.

But, it's not really a problem, since nobody knows or even cares about the rules, management included.  So, go ahead and walk your dog on the playground.  Let him go down the slide too, if you want.

In case you didn't notice, I'm heading back toward the 1400 loop.  It's not raining any more, so I don't need a bus.  Time is passing by, so I didn't go the other way toward the 400 loop to look for Grumpy/Dave.  He's going to be there for a while though-so there's a good chance I'll be back to the Fort before he leaves.

We're going the other way.

Here we are on the bridge looking at the canal with the 1400 loop on the left, and the 500 loop on the right- it doesn't look to slimy today:

2113147_zpsc22e747c.jpg

2113148_zpsc46bb58f.jpg

I headed through the 1400 loop, and here we are passing the campfire area:

2113149_zps462d421f.jpg

And here's a couple of shots showing the gray skies and the Meadow Trading post as seen from across the green water:

2113150_zpsca8c50ac.jpg

2113151_zps6c0fe320.jpg

I guess with the work going on at the dam, the water in the canals here is not moving- so it just gets greener and greener:

2113152_zps484c2146.jpg

This is that same canal we looked at just a few photos ago-this time taken from the footbridge behind the 600 loop.  That's the 600 loop on the left, and the 1400 loop on the right:

2113153_zpsf3a6b8d3.jpg

This canal has actually been much greener.  But, I wouldn't be too thrilled to be fishing or canoeing in it today.

From here, I crossed in to the 600 loop.  Since I had a bit more time than I thought I did earlier, I figured I would try to find the Troll and GDF one more time.

We will be heading that way next.

Spoiler alert- I got to hear a live Troll Rant!

TCD

Your pictures are making me homesick.  And it's only been two weeks since I left the fort.

I know how you feel.  I'm glad I was able to stop by last week for a quick fix.  Hopefully, I'll be back there soon.

It was a big mistake. It won't happen again. I need to check the forum filter.

OK, good.

All is right in the world.

That was crazy.

The Florida bat law you speak of is this week's sign that their are too many laws and too many idiots making them.

Try telling that to the Ranger as he takes you to Disney jail.

TCD

It's hard to believe that another week has passed, and the weekend is about to begin.

That means no more TCD TR's until Monday.

So, I better load you up with one more update this afternoon.

We left off on the footbridge to the 600 loop.

If you've read a TCD TR before, you probably can guess what's coming next.

Here are a few photos of the best campsite in Fort Wilderness, the fantastic, magical site 617:

2113154_zps16a8628f.jpg

2113155_zps0aeea5cd.jpg

I thought about walking down the 600 loop to its entrance, but something on the 800 loop caught my eye, so I just have this photo of the 600 loop for you 600 loop fans:

2113156_zpsa7034646.jpg

Here's the rest of site 617, and you can see what caught my eye over there in the 800 loop:

2113157_zps12f9edbc.jpg

Check out what's going on over there.  It's two professional Real Men of Genius.  They've got a tractor which they're using to lift piles of trash bags in to that truck:

2113158_zps157fb484.jpg

2113159_zps35ce8058.jpg

I've never seen this before.  I have noticed that there are enclosed areas on some loops that they use to store bags of trash that have been removed from the loop trash cans.  But, I've never seen them allow that much trash to accumulate.  And then use a tractor and big truck to remove it.  I wouldn't want to be in the site next to the trash enclosure.

As much as I would have liked to stay and watch the geniuses at work, I had to move on.

Remember when I camped on the 1000 loop for New Year's Eve?  I hope you do because that was earlier in this trip report.  Well, I had a few photos then showing that the azaleas around the 900/1000 comfort station had already started to bloom. That was the result of our warm winter.  Even though we have since had a cooler January, the azaleas clearly are not waiting for spring:

2113160_zps3bd96703.jpg

2113161_zps8e23adf8.jpg

I headed in to the 900 loop, and saw the Troll!

I guess he saw me, as he ducked into his camper.

Too bad for him that he can't hide from me like that.

I knocked on his camper door.

And out came the Troll.  Mrs. Troll was there too.  And even a little Troll- the Troll's nephew (really it's his grandnephew to be exact).

I had a brief Troll visit. Heard some live Troll rants.  I think mostly about MagicBands.  And the weather.  And some other things.  Don't get him going.

Then I had to go.

I was going to try to catch GDF on the 2000 loop.

So over the bridge and through the woods I went.

There were now maybe two million boy scouts running through the woods.

Sounded like that many anyway.

On the way to GDF's site,  I met up with a van coming around the loop.  It was Curt.  From FortCamperRental.  He was making another delivery.  We said a quick hello.  But he had to go.  Good to see you Curt.

There was nobody at GDF's site.

And their cart was gone.

I had missed them.  They were off someplace.

Oh well, I needed to get going anyway.

So, I headed around the loop to the bus stop.

This camper was on the site across from GDF:

2113162_zps77908942.jpg

She posted a photo of it in her TR.  Funny that we both took photos of the same thing.  I always thought those campers were cool, and a great idea.  They don't make them anymore, though.

This camper was in the site across from the bus stop:

2113163_zps67c7459a.jpg

Yikes!

Hippies!

Glad I didn't have to camp next to them.

Luckily for me I don't think they were home.  I didn't hear any accordion music.

By the way, I joke about that camper, but on a recent American Pickers episode, Mike offered a guy $30K for an older VW camper which was basically just a shell.  And the guy turned him down.  Whoa.

Remember the nice classic log benches they have in the 1500 loop bus stop?  Over here at the 2000 loop, they have the new ugly ones:

2113164_zps12a8a6a9.jpg

I hoped that the bus would come soon, as I was worried about the hippies coming out of that camper over there:

2113165_zpsbf437ea8.jpg

Lucky for me the bus did come, and I got out of there before any crazed hippies came charging out of that hippie wagon.

Here's a look at the 2100 cabin loop as I made my way out of the Fort:

2113166_zps7ddb9392.jpg

On my way out, I stopped by here to check on something:

2113167_zpsfb0a515c.jpg

A few weeks ago, Discamper/Todd posted this old photo on his very popular Welcome to WDW 1970's/80's thread:

WDW-90120-20The20Outpost20Entrance.jpg

That is a cool photo.

Must be from when the Outpost first opened.

I know the building looked the same.  But I know those trees have grown.  If they're even the same ones.  What I really wanted to do was go and look and see if those big rocks you see in that photo are still there.

Nope:

2113168_zps3bb8fdea.jpg

Still, it's cool to compare how it used to look to how it looks today.

Right?

So, our plan was to meet at the Wilderness Lodge.  We were going to eat lunch there, and then head off to a park.  I had FP+ reservations for AK, but I thought we might have time to visit the MK or another park before that.

I headed over to the lodge, and still had some time to kill.

All the good little seating nooks in the main Lodge building were in use, so I headed over to the Villas:

2113169_zps22395349.jpg

These villa buildings are tall, but they're only four stories.  It boggles my mind that the plans for the possible River Country DVC show buildings 8 stories tall.  Twice this height:

2113170_zps69240ca7.jpg

There is never anyone hanging out in the DVC lobby.  Which is crazy, because it is beautiful.  There are two fireplaces to sit at.  This is one:

2113171_zps092fde2f.jpg

And my favorite Hidden Mickey is here too.  It's up there on the side of this beam:

2113172_zpsf041dcfd.jpg

Here:

2113173_zpsff96fbaa.jpg

Look at this inviting seating area:

2113174_zps9e7bb18b.jpg

This is the view from there:

2113175_zps0c4dfd3e.jpg

I can even see the Hidden Mickey from here:

2113176_zps919a45f6.jpg

Looking up in the lobby:

2113178_zpsba52159b.jpg

This bird cage sits in the middle of the lobby:

2113179_zps0e87ee93.jpg

Some more carved posts- look at how there are roots included at the back of the post with the beaver on it:

2113180_zps942a8715.jpg

I don't think those are Hidden Mickeys, by the way.  More like Hidden Relatives of Mickey.

I learned something new in the lobby.  From this sign:

2113181_zpsc5a69427.jpg

I just thought Inglenook was the name of a wine.

I never knew it was a thing.  Here's an Inglenook in case you've never seen one.  I even sat on it.  It wasn't very comfortable:

2113182_zpsddf0876e.jpg

I've been in this lobby many times.  This is the first time I ever noticed the legs on the table upon which that birdhouse sits:

2113183_zps6e02bf36.jpg

Whoever designed and decorated this lobby gets an A+ from me.  What a great place.

I was quite happy and comfortable to sit and wait for the girls here.

And so I sat and waited.

And you will have to sit and wait until Monday now to hear what we did when the TCD twins finally arrived.

TCD

We stayed in those villas back in May 2001, when my 3 oldest daughters were a LOT younger.  Every time we returned to our villa, the thing was that we'd ride up the elevator to our floor and they'd take off running down the carpeted hallway toward our room.  We did that every time.  And I never took the time to look around that lobby at all of the beautiful details.  I've since gone back and done that, just as I take the time now to enjoy many more of the little details in life that you typically don't when you are younger. 

Finally arrived -- sounds like you had a long wait.

On our last night of WWW we ate at Roaring Fork -- TJ, Melissa, Carol, Yvonne, Jen, and me.  On the way back to the fort the rest of the gang took a detour over to the DVC.  I would have liked to see it, but I was in so much leg/hip pain I couldn't walk that far.  Thanks for the pictures!

I bet it was actually kinda nice to have the time to explore the fort like you did with not having to worry about packing up the camper. Still waiting for you to buy a mini motorhome so you can get the mrs.TCD back out at the fort I bet with a potty and a shower she would get back into camping. 7 days til our monthly three day weekend to the parks :)

Ok funny.... I took pictures of the hippy camper too, so I could tease you and DIT. I still will though.

Great minds think alike I suppose.

We were in the MK. It was supposed to be our Fort day, but plans got revised. Did you end up over there? I took a special picture just for you in the park. Ha ha ha

On our last night of WWW we ate at Roaring Fork -- TJ, Melissa, Carol, Yvonne, Jen, and me.  On the way back to the fort the rest of the gang took a detour over to the DVC.  I would have liked to see it, but I was in so much leg/hip pain I couldn't walk that far.  Thanks for the pictures!

I was so grateful to them for showing me around.  

We stayed in those villas back in May 2001, when my 3 oldest daughters were a LOT younger.  Every time we returned to our villa, the thing was that we'd ride up the elevator to our floor and they'd take off running down the carpeted hallway toward our room.  We did that every time.  And I never took the time to look around that lobby at all of the beautiful details.  I've since gone back and done that, just as I take the time now to enjoy many more of the little details in life that you typically don't when you are younger. 

Good observation.  It's amazing the things you can notice at WDW when you stop and look. 

The wait wasn't that bad. 

I hope that you get a chance to check out the DVC lobby some time.  The adjoining Carolwood room has some very interesting displays relating to railroads.  I should have taken some photos in there.  Next time.

I bet it was actually kinda nice to have the time to explore the fort like you did with not having to worry about packing up the camper. Still waiting for you to buy a mini motorhome so you can get the mrs.TCD back out at the fort I bet with a potty and a shower she would get back into camping. 7 days til our monthly three day weekend to the parks :)

You're right. Also, a rainy day at the Fort is much more enjoyable when I know that I don't have a bunch of stuff that I'll have to dry out later.

I really would love to have a nice Class B, or even a VW bus camper.  But, everything we have is going toward college at the moment.

Thanks for the update before the weekend.

The new benches suck.

Agreed on the new benches.  And the old benches that are still in use look awful.  It wouldn't take too much effort to sand them down and put some clear coat on them.

Ok funny.... I took pictures of the hippy camper too, so I could tease you and DIT. I still will though.

Great minds think alike I suppose.

We were in the MK. It was supposed to be our Fort day, but plans got revised. Did you end up over there? I took a special picture just for you in the park. Ha ha ha

I like VW buses.  I don't like hippies though.

Yes, we did eventually end up in the MK.  A special picture?  You didn't see BW, did you?

I love the hippy camper.  The smiley on the front is awesome.   :))

Seriously, great update. 

Yes, that smiley face is the perfect touch.  I think I would have added some bead curtains.

Love those pics of the lobby at VWL. I really want to stay there one of these days. Great report!

You ought to give VWL a try.  Although, its tough to beat the Boardwalk location.

I was so grateful to them for showing me around.  

I'm glad you got to see it.

Every Fiend needs to visit there at least once.

TCD