Another Auld Lang Syne: The TCD Gang Rings in 2014 @ The Fort!

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yay another report!   War Eagle!!!    I have never seen the garland in person so bummer.  But it also irks me a little that it blocks the view of the castle.   I was in the night time parade when I wa

OOPS....My bad it's a case of fat fingers on an 8" screen... Didn't see it until you mentioned it. That is one thing that we need is a way to correct those.

The CM with Hullahoop is Barbara. She is a legend among anyone who has worked MS. She is Walt reincarnated as a woman. She is a blast to work with and always has a smile on her face and dances around.

We like to hang out in that area of the contemporary, also. And I agree about the bathrooms - clean and never anyone using them.

Those douchebags on the safari. Ugh. We had some not-from-this-land people on the train, at the Magic Kingdom, that wouldn't sit down. So, the train sat there and sat there and sat there - everyone was screaming at the lady taking pictures, trying to get her attention. She ignored everyone waving in her face and yelling at her. When we got off the train, she blocked part of the platform, where everyone was trying to get off the train and get out of the station. You know, she had to take more pictures. So, Kenneth jumped in with her hubby and baby,and totally photo bombed the picture. A little souvenir - and a nice one if you ask me.

More photos!!! YIPPEE!!!!!

We too, love that hidden Mickey on top of the roof. Not sure if you remember or not, but last winter my son who is in college and my Mom went down to Disney for a week. I had been inspired with you LOF (list of fun) from your cruise and did a list for my Mom and son. One of the things on the list was finding that Mickey. They could NOT find it! I remember I sent you a pm for specific directions on where it was located. You let me know and once I relayed the info to them, they found it. When we were there in August, we all made a point to see it! Very cool!!

Also, another thing I picked up from your trip reports was the noodle meal at the Polynesian. I had that at least three times in August and LOVED it!!

I wondered about what they might do for all those people in line at Dinosaur when it closed down.  So, no bonus FPs.  And another downside to FP+, no FPs to give away to people if you're not going to use yours.  That's a shame.  It was always a small, nice thing people could do to pass along some pixie dust to strangers.

This is just bonus content, and this trip report is getting old.  I started this one way back on January 6th.  And here it is February 7th.  If I don't get this wrapped up, I'm going to be as bad as the Troll posting on a six month old TR, like it's all one trip.

Okay so this inspired me to finish mine.  2 Updates today!  

Way to Go!

Hey- anyone reading this TR who hasn't checked out F&FM's should.  Here's a link: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/11265-best-trip-ever-but-rain-rain-go-away/

Post a comment there, too- it's always nice to read comments from others who are reading along.

No dole whips at the Poly and the dippin Dots are placed in a location where they are sure to be gone soon.

Not acceptable. When we stay at BLT next, those dippin dots would be nice to have.

Love the roof shots!

I still plan to give the Dippin' Dots a try some time.  But, they really ought to make the display a little more enticing. 

I am hoping that there will still be Dole Whips at the Poly.  But we will have to wait and see about that.

We like to hang out in that area of the contemporary, also. And I agree about the bathrooms - clean and never anyone using them. Those douchebags on the safari. Ugh. We had some not-from-this-land people on the train, at the Magic Kingdom, that wouldn't sit down. So, the train sat there and sat there and sat there - everyone was screaming at the lady taking pictures, trying to get her attention. She ignored everyone waving in her face and yelling at her. When we got off the train, she blocked part of the platform, where everyone was trying to get off the train and get out of the station. You know, she had to take more pictures. So, Kenneth jumped in with her hubby and baby,and totally photo bombed the picture. A little souvenir - and a nice one if you ask me.

Way to go Kenneth!  That's a great story.  It would have been better if he had a Taser though.  Maybe tased someone in the family posing for the photo- that would be a good souvenir for the people not from this land too.

More photos!!! YIPPEE!!!!!

We too, love that hidden Mickey on top of the roof. Not sure if you remember or not, but last winter my son who is in college and my Mom went down to Disney for a week. I had been inspired with you LOF (list of fun) from your cruise and did a list for my Mom and son. One of the things on the list was finding that Mickey. They could NOT find it! I remember I sent you a pm for specific directions on where it was located. You let me know and once I relayed the info to them, they found it. When we were there in August, we all made a point to see it! Very cool!!

Also, another thing I picked up from your trip reports was the noodle meal at the Polynesian. I had that at least three times in August and LOVED it!!

Yes, I remember that, and I'm glad your son and mom finally found that Mickey.  I hadn't seen it in a while, and wasn't sure if it was still there.  I actually need to go and get a good photo of it some time- I have a theory about it that I've been meaning to check out.

Wow, you like those noodles as much as Twin #2!  She ALWAYS wants to go there.  That's a neat thing about trip reports, isn't it?  We can all learn from each other.  As a matter of fact, as you will soon see in the next set of bonus photos, I was inspired to take my girls to a restaurant that I have heard so much about in other TR's here on ff.net.

Still here reading wishing I was there playing. Great roof shots.

Thanks.  I hope you get back to WDW soon.  You must have a trip planned, right?

I wondered about what they might do for all those people in line at Dinosaur when it closed down.  So, no bonus FPs.  And another downside to FP+, no FPs to give away to people if you're not going to use yours.  That's a shame.  It was always a small, nice thing people could do to pass along some pixie dust to strangers.

Stay tuned.  I saw something on our most recent visit that was interesting.  And, the girls thought they saw people in the FP line with the old paper FP return tickets they used to pass out.  But, they definitely didn't offer any of those to us regular slobs in the standby line.

I agree with you 100% about not being able to regift unused FP's.  We benefited from other people's generosity in that regard many times over the years.  And, we also gave away plenty of our own.  That was a fun aspect of the paper FP's.

TCD

Yes-we have used that area for breaks many times.  I don't know of a place like that in the Polynesian.  I should have also mentioned that the restrooms there are super nice!  Just one floor up, the restrooms are usually a mess.  On this floor, however, they're clean and never busy.

I think the observation deck for the California Grill is on the other side of where I was-same roof, though.

I'll tell you exactly how to get to where I was.  Take the elevator to the 10th floor.  You can't go any higher unless you're staying on one of the Concierge floors.  Then head to the corner of the tower closest to the Fort and Bay Lake.  Go right out the door and up the stairs, and you're there on the roof.  Here's something very important though- that door will close and lock behind you.  And then you're going to have to walk down 15 flights of stairs.  Unless you have a wad of napkins or a pen or something to stick in the door so it doesn't close all the way.  That's where Troll messed up.  He's still sore about it too.

If you want, send me a PM and let me know when you'll be at BLT.  Maybe I'll finally get to meet you and Ray for that drink.  The deck outside that bar at the top of BLT is pretty sweet, too.

Yes, there are more photos!  You read that last sentence correctly!

TCD

First, thanks for the directions on how to get to the roof and more importantly, the tip on not getting stuck up there!   :whew:

Second, definitely will do on the PM before our September trip.  Looking forward to it!  :)

First, thanks for the directions on how to get to the roof and more importantly, the tip on not getting stuck up there!   :whew:

Second, definitely will do on the PM before our September trip.  Looking forward to it!   :)

Yes, the not getting stuck up there part is important.  It's a long walk down.

September?  That will be tricky with football season and all, but let me know.

TCD

As promised, there's more!

It looks like this will be it, though.

It was hard to say goodbye to everyone after the Christmas break.  The girls all had to go back to school right after New Year's, and wouldn't be seeing each other again until Spring Break.  In the fall, it wasn't like that.  We would meet up at football games, and then there was Thanksgiving and Christmas to look forward to.

To make things easier on everyone (especially Mrs. TCD and I), we suggested to our oldest that she pick a weekend before Spring Break where she could fly home, and we would all try to get together for some family time.  After consulting with her calendar, and checking for deals on Southwest, we arrived at the weekend of February 7.  This also happened to be the night of the opening ceremony for the Winter Olympics, so Mrs. TCD planned a USA menu, and a watching party, and that brought the twins home too.

So, we had a great family time on Friday night- ate fried chicken and all the fixings, and watched the opening ceremonies. 

Then came Saturday.

We didn't really have a plan for Saturday.  Maybe the beach or something outside.  But Saturday was rainy.  So, maybe a movie or go out to eat someplace?

I said how about Disney?  We could try to make a dinner reservation at a sit-down restaurant, and book some FP+'s and make an afternoon/evening out of it.

I didn't have to ask twice.

We got busy looking for a dinner reservation.  I was hoping for 'Ohana.  But that wasn't happening on a Saturday night on short notice. 

We were thinking booking the FP+'s for MK, so how about BOG?  No chance.  Same with everything else there.  We did get the Plaza.  We have never eaten there.  And they have steak fries.  So that was the frontrunner.  Then I had an idea.

Biergarten..

Just last week there was a discussion about Biergarten on GDF's current TR.

It seems that I am one of a very small minority of Fiends who has never been.  And everyone likes it.

I checked.

There was availability.  Even for the late lunch slot like DIT recommends.  But, the TCD girls weren't thrilled.  German food?  Ewww.  I read some of the things listed that I knew they would like.  And I told them they had pretzel rolls and cheese soup- even though I didn't see that on the menu on-line.  But GDF said they had pretzel rolls and cheese soup.  So I believed it.  The late lunch didn't fly.  The girls wanted to go to MK in the afternoon, not eat sausages and boiled pigs heads, or whatever they thought I was going to make them eat.  They agreed to dinner there, though.  They liked that idea.  So, we booked it.  We had a 7:10 ADR for Biergarten.

We loaded up and headed east.

The skies were clearing up on our side of the state, so I thought we might luck out and not have to deal with rain today.  But, the rain followed us.  When we finally arrived at the MK it was drizzling a bit.  Our first FP+ was for Big Thunder Mountain.  That wouldn't be fun in the rain.  So the girls changed it.  To the Little Mermaid ride.  After that, we had Pirates and then Space Mountain.

When we got to the MK, I was pleased to see that the rainy day had apparently kept some guests away.  That isn't always the case, but it was today.  It wasn't too busy at all.

We haven't bothered getting SOTMK cards the last few times we've been to the MK.  We don't really play the game, and we have way more cards than we need, so we didn't take the time to stop.  The girls had asked me recently how they handled the cards now with Magic Bands.  We decided to stop and check.  Sure enough, it's tied to MB's now.  The CM said we didn't need a Key Card anymore-just use the MB's. I'm not sure how that works- we didn't check it out this trip. I will sometime, though.  I think we might not be able to get cards next time unless we play the game before we ask for more cards.

After that, since it was raining a bit, we decided to walk through the big gift shop on the left.  The Dapper Dans were out:

2613001_zps73f07e14.jpg

2613002_zpsd19d4589.jpg

We emerged from the gift shop near the end of Main Street, and continued on to the Hub.  It wasn't raining at the moment, so that was good.  I hadn't even broken out the ponchos yet.  So far, so good.

It's neat to be at the MK on a day when it isn't crowded.  We got to stop and take some photos at the Partners statue.  Usually there's a mob around this statue all the time.  Not today:

2613003_zps9fbf5c20.jpg

You know, this statue wasn't here when I was a kid.  I'm not sure when they added it, but it didn't used to be here.  I like it though.

There's a plaque on it.  Have you ever read what it says on the plaque?:

2613004_zpsc97e0eae.jpg

It says:  "We believe in our idea: a family park where parents and children could have fun-together."  Walt Disney

Interesting.  Of all the quotes that could be put on that plaque-that's the one they chose?

I like it.  It certainly speaks to me.  The girls have grown up at WDW, and we have had fun as a family many, many times.  Including today!

There is one thing that bugs me about that statue though.  Mickey.  I think he's an odd size.  Why is he that small?  Why not make him the size of the Mickey that walks around the park?  Obviously, he's not the size of a real mouse, so why not make him bigger for the statue?

Oh well, I'm sure they had their reasons.

It was time for us to make our way to New Fantasyland.

I can't remember why we were talking about this, but the girls and I recently had a conversation about the pavement in Frontierland.  They said that part of the pavement was colored brown to represent how there used to be raw sewage running down the streets in colonial America.  Really?  How come I had never heard of that?  Or noticed it?  But look:

2613007_zpsfd8ec20f.jpg

2613008_zpsc58a775e.jpg

I'll be darned.

Brown pavement.

So there were rivers of poop running down the streets in colonial America?

Thank goodness we won that war and got some proper plumbing.

We headed up the walkway next to Sleepy Hollow.  We got a big whiff of fried fish there.  Do they have something new on the menu here?  We definitely weren't smelling Nutella waffles.

I was surprised that they still had the big crane hiding behind the castle.  On February 8th.  How long does it take to get the Dreamlights off of the castle?

On the way into the Enchanted Forest, we stopped to look through the peephole in the fence around the Mine Train.  Here's what we saw:

2613009_zps1c965bd3.jpg

2613010_zpsde708bc7.jpg

2613011_zps6c893a13.jpg

That building you see in the background was just a metal frame the last time we were here.  They are getting close here.

Around the side by BOG, we could see that they have added trees and a waterfall coming down the side of the mountain now- this will be flowing in to the water beneath the bridge outside of BOG:

2613012_zps675a460b.jpg

2613013_zps15eee074.jpg

2613014_zps057c9d43.jpg

2613015_zps56e7287d.jpg

I saw some photos on another website from earlier this week that show all of this much better- apparently, they took down the construction wall on this side of the mountain just a couple of days ago-after these photos were taken on Saturday, and you can see all of this clearly now.  That's a good sign that this ride is finally going to be opening.  I assume that the metal rails you see up near the top of the rocks in these photos are just there for the construction workers, and will be taken down at some point.  This is all going to look pretty nice when it is finally done.

Here we are at Gaston's Tavern on a rainy day:

2613016_zps4673cae0.jpg

It's poncho city here in the village:

2613017_zpscb8cdf8d.jpg

Here's how the side of the Mine Train ride looks over here:

2613018_zps41632783.jpg

Again, I assume that those metal rails will be gone.  Look at all of the detail.  The stones, the building, and then the rocks above- I really like this.

As mentioned, we had a FP+ for the Little Mermaid ride.  If we didn't, it was a 50 minute wait. Which seems long for a not-so-busy day:

2613019_zpsb20b1a6f.jpg

One more look at the side of the Mine Train ride before we head in:

2613020_zps4bd065e7.jpg

They apparently weren't lying about the 50 minute wait- here's the standby line- almost all the way out to the entrance.  I've never seen it this long:

2613021_zpsfa2019b8.jpg

There was nobody in the FP return line.  We could have zipped right in.  But, there was a lady and her daughter-both not from this land, blocking the way. They had MB's, but the CM told them they didn't have a FP+ reservation for this ride.  The lady did a very good job acting like she was totally confused and couldn't understand a word of English.  But the CM wasn't falling for it.  He gestured for her to step out of the way.  It took him a while, but she finally got the point.  Actually, I think she got the point at the beginning, but this act must have worked for her before.  I don't know how the CM's can put up with this all day.

That little delay out of the way, we walked right in.  Nobody else was using FP+ for this at the time, apparently.  I'll bet all those folks standing in the drizzle in the standby line wished they had:

2613022_zps9df29347.jpg

2613023_zps9f3f036b.jpg

2613025_zps3bd9b96c.jpg

2613026_zps024517ec.jpg

You know what's cool? All of the new views that come with New Fantasyland. Like look at this view of the castle, looking over the new Mine Train mountain:

2613028_zpsb5eed091.jpg

There's still a construction fence blocking part of that view.  When that comes down, it will even be better.

It is well documented that I like this ride much more than that hater DIT.  I think it's a perfectly fine ride.  One part I don't like so much, and it's a big part, is this scene, where they have all of the sea creatures singing Under the Sea:

2613029_zpsabb35cd7.jpg

There's a Disco ball and a bunch of lights up there on the ceiling.  No effort is made to cover any of that.  I don't get it.  The rest of the ride, there are cave roofs, animated water and such.  But here, it looks like we're in Studio 54. Aren't we supposed to be under the sea? 

When we emerged from the undersea world of Ariel/Disco, it was raining again.  Not drizzling.  Raining.  I broke out the ponchos.  Our next stop was Pirates.  We will be under cover there.  So no biggie.  It wasn't raining hard.

Here's a peek through the peephole on the side of the Mine Train near Pooh- still looks like a construction zone over here:

2613030_zps4058502f.jpg

Looking over the fence from over by the Pooh ride entrance, we can see that there is still a lot of work going on here.  We think this is going to be where the ride entrance will be:

2613033_zps56c261db.jpg

Those buzzards they saved from the old Snow White are sitting on the winch that you see in the background of this photo, just to the right of center:

2613034_zpscf86de81.jpg

When we crossed Main Street on the way to Adventureland, one of the girls spotted a girl dressed up like Peter Pan with a Peter Pan doll.  I thought we had a Big Wendy sighting!  But it wasn't her.  It was a different girl.  We named her Medium Wendy.  She's over there to the right of the trolley tracks, showing us her Disney Side:

2613036_zpsf1a414d1.jpg

Next up, we sail with the Pirates.  And then enjoy some of the less busy (and dry) attractions around the MK.

TCD

Yes, the not getting stuck up there part is important.  It's a long walk down.

September?  That will be tricky with football season and all, but let me know.

TCD

Eek - despite being from the south, Ray and I aren't big football fans, so remembering about football schedules isn't on my radar.  I'll PM you the dates anyway though and hope for the best!

Looking forward to more bonus pics.

2613033_zps56c261db.jpg

I know they aren't done, so I shouldn't judge.  And I really am confident this will all look fantastic at the end of the day.  But those pine trees look like the little fake ones from a craft store that you would stick into a styrofoam Christmas village. 

And...I am really looking forward to hearing about your Biergarten experience.  Including, I hope, some pics. 

So much to comment on:

The partners statue was unveiled in 1995. It was the second Partners Statue to appear in a Disney Park. The first being in Disneyland in honor of Mickey's Birthday in 1993. Mickey's size was determined through the movie Fantasia. The creator, Blaine Gibson, used footage from the movie to make Mickey's size. One scene in particular, where Mickey shakes the conductors hand. Walt's statue is an accurate depiction of him.

The story of Liberty square is true. Another overlooked accuracy of the area is, There are no public restrooms in the Liberty square section of the MK. This is to keep true to the time period depicted.

Part of the fence around the Mine Train Ride is now down and you can see into the area. They were running the ride vehicles the other night and it looks amazing.

There is one thing that bugs me about that statue though. Mickey. I think he's an odd size. Why is he that small? Why not make him the size of the Mickey that walks around the park? Obviously, he's not the size of a real mouse, so why not make him bigger for the statue?

Oh well, I'm sure they had their reasons.

TCD

Just a guess but since the quote refers to parents and children, and the statue looks right for a parent leading a child through the park, the size was meant to reflect that idea....  :)

Interesting about the Key Cards.  In January my MB didn't work and I did have to get a card.  Also, I couldn't get a pack of cards the next day if I hadn't opened a portal on the previous day.

The WDW Partners statue was unveiled in June of 1995.  There's a lot of interesting info on it here, including comments on Walt's and Mickey's sizes:  http://allears.net/ae/issue716.htm

Anxious to hear what you and your daughters thought about Biergarten.

During our February 2013 trip I remember asking why it takes so long to take the dreamlights down.  Seems like an excessive amount of time.  I think somebody may have answered why in my TR for that trip but I am not sure.  I'll have to take a gander at that TR again when I get time.

Interesting about the poop streams.

On the SOTMK cards, we were told that you would have to play at least one portal using your magic band to start the game, before they would give you another pack of cards.  And if you played at least one portal between trips to the fire hall, you could still get one pack per visit.

Just to be clear the sewage down the middle of the road was from horses not people. 

Just coming from a former history teacher.  It was in fact from horses, people whatever.  There were no sewage lines then.  And they couldn't keep up with the growth to even attempt it at first.  There were trenches and it would flow openly usually beside the streets.  Sort of like sewage lines but above the ground and open.  Trash was everywhere too, glad they didn't include that.  :) 

Eek - despite being from the south, Ray and I aren't big football fans, so remembering about football schedules isn't on my radar.  I'll PM you the dates anyway though and hope for the best!

Looking forward to more bonus pics.

Are you both originally from the South?  This is very odd.  I'm a reformed Yankee, and even I know that you have to look at football schedules before scheduling anything in the fall.

I know they aren't done, so I shouldn't judge.  And I really am confident this will all look fantastic at the end of the day.  But those pine trees look like the little fake ones from a craft store that you would stick into a styrofoam Christmas village. 

And...I am really looking forward to hearing about your Biergarten experience.  Including, I hope, some pics. 

Yeah, they do look fake.  But I'm not sure they are.  Some of the trees on the other side looked real to me.

Yes, there are Biergarten photos.  Not enough for you, I'm sure.  But there are some.  One of which is of a dirndl.  With a Fräulein in it.  Das ist gut.

They do look like the fake trees from a train layout.  Maybe they are supposed to?

Great update.

Looking for more.

With all the rocks and other plants around, I don't thing they want these trees to look fake.   This might be the type of thing that gets tweaked before they're done.

So much to comment on:

The partners statue was unveiled in 1995. It was the second Partners Statue to appear in a Disney Park. The first being in Disneyland in honor of Mickey's Birthday in 1993. Mickey's size was determined through the movie Fantasia. The creator, Blaine Gibson, used footage from the movie to make Mickey's size. One scene in particular, where Mickey shakes the conductors hand. Walt's statue is an accurate depiction of him.

The story of Liberty square is true. Another overlooked accuracy of the area is, There are no public restrooms in the Liberty square section of the MK. This is to keep true to the time period depicted.

Part of the fence around the Mine Train Ride is now down and you can see into the area. They were running the ride vehicles the other night and it looks amazing.

Thanks for sharing all of that.

Very interesting about the Partners statue and the reason behind Mickey's height.  As you have said before-there's always a reason.

I didn't know that bit about there being no restrooms in Liberty Square.

I keep hoping to catch them running the ride vehicles at the Mine Train.  It won't be long until I'm riding one.  I hope.

Just a guess but since the quote refers to parents and children, and the statue looks right for a parent leading a child through the park, the size was meant to reflect that idea....  :)

That's a good guess.  But, apparently not correct per the information Devores shared above, and in the link Gail provided below.

Interesting about the Key Cards.  In January my MB didn't work and I did have to get a card.  Also, I couldn't get a pack of cards the next day if I hadn't opened a portal on the previous day.

The WDW Partners statue was unveiled in June of 1995.  There's a lot of interesting info on it here, including comments on Walt's and Mickey's sizes:  http://allears.net/ae/issue716.htm

Anxious to hear what you and your daughters thought about Biergarten.

Thanks for that link!  That is a great article.  From the same guy who wrote the not so great article about the calliope at the Fort.

I will share all my thoughts about the Biergarten.  I have many.

During our February 2013 trip I remember asking why it takes so long to take the dreamlights down.  Seems like an excessive amount of time.  I think somebody may have answered why in my TR for that trip but I am not sure.  I'll have to take a gander at that TR again when I get time.

Interesting about the poop streams.

On the SOTMK cards, we were told that you would have to play at least one portal using your magic band to start the game, before they would give you another pack of cards.  And if you played at least one portal between trips to the fire hall, you could still get one pack per visit.

I think you're saying the same thing that Devores is saying about the SOTMK cards.

For this visit, it had been a while since we had picked up cards or played.  The CM scanned all of our MB's and linked them for the game, then gave us each a pack of cards and sent us on our way.  We didn't play this trip.  If I can remember, I'll stop by the Fire Station for more cards next time I'm there and report on what happens.

On our keys to the kingdom tour they told us about the brown walkways and the no restrooms in liberty square. They also pointed out Paul Revere's window. I won't tell you which one it is, maybe you can find it next time.

Paul Revere's window?

Really?

I never heard of this.  I am guessing there are one or two lanterns in it?

SOTMK:

You use your MB instead of the key cards now. But you have to have started the game (played at least one portal) to get more cards. If you just pick up cards and not play, you cannot get more cards.

I will be checking on this next trip.

I guess if we are denied, does just one of us need to play one portal for us to all be eligible for more?

TCD