Another Auld Lang Syne: The TCD Gang Rings in 2014 @ The Fort!

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yay another report!   War Eagle!!!    I have never seen the garland in person so bummer.  But it also irks me a little that it blocks the view of the castle.   I was in the night time parade when I wa

OOPS....My bad it's a case of fat fingers on an 8" screen... Didn't see it until you mentioned it. That is one thing that we need is a way to correct those.

The CM with Hullahoop is Barbara. She is a legend among anyone who has worked MS. She is Walt reincarnated as a woman. She is a blast to work with and always has a smile on her face and dances around.

My bet is the Mrs. burned that thing.

Burn baby burn!

There you go - new ear worm.

You're good at the annoying ear worm thing.

Which isn't really a good thing.

I am glad I made it too.  Darn that thing called life that prevents me from living on FF's !!! ARGHHH!

No apology necassary.  (see what I did there?)   :))  H will be so ashamed of me.   ::)

Twin 2 will be ok in time.  It did have to be done.  Heck, I probably would have done the same and I am not even a man.  It was just plain funny.

You couldn't.  No way.

I see what you did there.

Very punny.

I think it's time to leave the booty talk behind.

Unfortunately no. :(

Next trip is planned for Halloween and even that might be postponed depending on finances and such.....but I needed me Fort fix, and you provided. Thank you.

Oh.  Sorry to hear that.

When you get the chance see if you can get BFM to write a TR from your last trip- I would at least like to hear how the Buckeye Fort Family did with Magic Bands.

You other fiends can't deny.

I see what you did there.

And that's enough.

TCD,

I love bonus material!

I too have never noticed that stuff around the TOT. So all of that is behind the fast pass machines??

Quite the outfit on Main Street, and that's all I am going to say about that!!

Heidi

Glad you like the bonus features, because I have more!

Yes, all of that stuff in those photos is just sitting there behind the TOT FP machines.

Which is a clue about the old friend we went to see.

After many years of going to Disney I have realized that some resort rooms must not have mirrors in them. It's the only way to explain the way people dress.

LOL.  True.

But, there's also the whole not from this land thing.

I'm thinking the dude with the droopy drawers and purse would still be sporting that look even if he looked in a mirror.  I guess that's acceptable where he comes from.  Fuego.

TCD

Time for more bonus material!

It's still Saturday, January 18th.  We are walking down (or up?) Main Street.  Take a look at the blue skies!:

009_zps59edeb05.jpg

Let's take a moment and look at some other interesting things in that photo.  Look at how some people have on big heavy coats, while there are others just in t-shirts.  Florida is a strange place when we get a cold snap.  Do you see that Photopass photographer?  He has a hat and heavy coat on- like he's ready for snow.  Also, did you notice they have one of those scrims up covering the Confectionary?  It's that time of year again.

We were trying to move quickly, but as usual, our progress was blocked by clueless people pushing giant strollers.

A new phenomenon that I think I've mentioned before is that people pushing giant strollers seem to like to check their smart phones while they're pushing.  They just prop that thing on the stroller, and go to town, while not watching where they're going or noticing how they're blocking people trying to walk at a normal pace behind them.  Check out this couple and their stroller:

010_zpsaebd048d.jpg

That photo is a bit of a fail, because what I was trying to photograph was the fact that both of them were on their phones at the same time.  I think maybe they were texting each other?

Here we are a bit further up (or down?) Main Street.  The giant crane there next to the castle is there to take the Dream Lights off.  Also notice that we have guests in coats, but then there's some folks over there on the right in t-shirts and shorts:

011_zps4d973dcb.jpg

If you pay attention to details, you may have noticed that the clock on Main Street in the first photo of this update showed it was 12:41 pm as we made our way past many people not from this land.

If you paid attention to the last update, you might remember that our first FP+ was for Big Thunder Mountain, and was good from 1 to 2 pm.

I wanted to head there first, and then go to lunch.

The twins didn't.

They wanted to go to lunch first.

At Be Our Guest aka BOG.

Crazy talk.

That place is always busy.

Best case scenario, it would take us an hour to get there, eat and make it to Big Thunder.  Which would cut it close.

And that's best case.

But, they were insistent.

And, there not so much fun when they're hungry, so I agreed to go along.

Which brought us here to the BOG line at 12:49 pm:

012_zps6139dfbc.jpg

If you are familiar with the BOG restaurant, you will recognize that we are at the end of a long line, which stretches the length of the bridge, and around the corner.  The longest line we've ever stood on here before was just to the end of the bridge.  This one is twice that long.

But, the girls wanted to wait.

They did point out one thing- in the past when we've been here, they had CM's on the bridge making groups stick together, and fill all available space on the bridge.  We could see today that they weren't doing that, and the bridge was nowhere near as packed as it was on our previous visits:

013_zps3903b118.jpg

This could end up being OK.

As I mentioned, it was a beautiful cool but sunny day.  In the past, we have roasted in the hot sun waiting in this line.  Today, it was pleasant.  So no problem.  Plus, I had a good view of the Mine Train ride.  They have taken down some of the wooden walls, and exposed the rock walls which will be here when the construction is finally finished:

014_zps00f0f56f.jpg

As you might know, the Beast's castle up there on top of the rocks is supposed to look like a giant castle high on a mountain top.  They used the forced perspective techniques that they have used successfully all around WDW to make things look larger and taller than they really are.  The problem is that they also published photos showing them building this thing, including one that is stuck in my head showing that castle isn't much taller than a man.  That image ruins the whole forced perspective thing for me:

015_zpsc06acca0.jpg

Uh-oh, there goes a Brazilian Tour Group (BTG):

016_zps381bc3e8.jpg

We saw several large BTG's on this trip.  Seems like they're here earlier than usual.

As we waited, a helpful CM came along and passed out menus.  This is good.  But, still, when we finally make our way through the line and get our chance to order, we ALWAYS are stuck behind the family who stands there and studies the menu and discussed what to order. 

Anyway, there's something new on the menu.  It says you can use a Magic Rose or a Magic Band to order:

017_zps48cfc3f0.jpg

If you've been to BOG for lunch before, you know that the Magic Rose has a sensor in it that tells the CM's where to bring the food orders.  That's why they tell you to put in on your table.  So, what if I used my MB, and then went to the restroom while waiting for my food to be delivered?  Would they bring my braised pork to the Men's room?

After being in line 10 minutes, we made it to the end of the bridge:

018_zps10a5a74e.jpg

Usually, it only takes about 10 minutes from here to get inside-so that wasn't too bad.

I love the views you can take in from the bridge.  This valley below the bridge is awesome- and look how nice the landscaping still looks even on this cold January 18th winter day:

019_zpsc9dccb2e.jpg

The first time I was on this bridge was over a year ago now, and I noticed then that they had a painted canvas backdrop draped across the opening below the bridge.  I wondered then if that was temporary, until they completed the Mine Train construction.  That canvas is still there, and has become very discolored at the bottom, where it has been sitting in the water for the past year plus:

020_zps3e5bf09d.jpg

From here on the bridge, you can see across and over the construction fence to the Mine Train project.  In this photo, you can see that there are still ladders set up along the rocks, and there were workers present.  Over to the right of this photo, you can see the top of a roof of some building that will be there in the ride area:

021_zpsb799860b.jpg

In this photo, you can see some more ladders.  Also, just above the top of the fabric wall, I see what looks like some kind of an elevated wooden bridge:

022_zpsa5c7cd75.jpg

Coincidentally, the Disney Parks Blog just released some new images of the Mine Train ride today, one of which shows what I believe to be the bridge that is shown in that last photo-check it out:

ALT227651-613x407.jpg

You can read the whole blog entry here: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/01/all-in-the-details-sculpting-a-seven-dwarfs-mine-in-new-fantasyland-at-magic-kingdom-park/

If they ever finish this darned ride, I think it's going to be very cool.

There's that ratty canvas backdrop again:

023_zpsb21bcaef.jpg

In this photo, you can see a worker standing up there near the opening in the hill- he is wearing a yellow safety vest.  I've heard that they have been sending ride vehicles out on the track, and thought maybe we would get to see one, but we didn't.  You can also see more of that roof top for the little building that they're building there on the right:

024_zps45bc32f3.jpg

I have mixed feelings about the New Fantasyland.  It looks great, but I think they could have and should have added more to do.  All of this space, and there are just two new rides, a couple of restaurants, and a souped-up meet and greet.  As I said, though, it all looks great.  I love Maurice's cottage:

025_zps5ca8f8c0.jpg

This is the last Mine Train ride photo I have, from just a bit further down the bridge- you can see a couple of workers. I didn't actually see them doing any work, but at least they're there:

026_zps7dd4104d.jpg

And, just as predicted, here's where we stood at 1:11 pm- 20 minutes after we joined that long line- we are almost in:

027_zps8448c6d6.jpg

Remember that time I found a headband on Space Mountain and put it on as a joke?

You don't?

That was in this trip report you're reading right now you big dummy.

I'm worried about you.

Anyway, there was another discarded headband here just begging me to pick it up:

028_zps81a815cc.jpg

Since the twins were mad at me for that DHS stop, and Twin #2 was still steaming about that booty photo, I left the headband there.

Boo.

But, those girls can only take so much of me, and they had had enough at this point.  So I behaved.

Once we got in, we made it through the armor room fast, and got to our station to order.  We had to wait patiently as the dining plan customers who were being helped on the other side debated what kind of cupcakes to order.  I guess that 20 minutes in line didn't give them enough time to figure it out.  But, what else is new?  I wanted to order with my MB, but the guy said we had to use a rose:

029_zps1f58e62a.jpg

The girls each got a turkey sandwich.  That's what I was leaning toward too, but I made a last minute switch and went for the pork.  And I was happy about that.  It was fantastic as usual.

Since DIT is MIA, I'll skip the food photos.

Actually, I'm kidding, I didn't take any food photos. The sandwiches and pork looked the same as the last time we were here.

The service was a bit slower than usual, and we had 3 or 4 CM's come by and look at the receipt on our table.  I think maybe the whole Magic Rose system crashed, because they were doing the same at other tables too.  That's not good.  But, they were constantly wheeling food out, so we weren't too worried.

It got to be 1:30, and our food still hadn't arrived.  I suggested to the twins that we try to reschedule our Big Thunder FP+'s as they would expire at 2.  They tried and were not able to.  Oh well, we would see if we could make it.

It was good in a way that our food was taking a little longer than normal.

That gave us a chance to discuss some other planning we needed to do.

You see, when I was at DHS, I did meet up with our old friend.

That old friend was the old Fastpass system.

It has already ceased to exist at Animal Kingdom and the MK, and would be stopped at Hollywood Studios and Epcot in the week following this visit.  This was the old friend that I wanted to visit one last time so we could say goodbye.

You see, the twins do not remember a time before the Fastpass system existed.  It has been in the parks since 1999, when they were just four years old.  We are good at the Fastpass system.  Experts even. Over the years, we learned lots of tricks and ways to maximize their use.  Now it was all about to be replaced by FP+.  Forever.  We needed to say goodbye.

So, my reason for stopping at DHS was to get us a last bunch of paper FP's.

It is a poorly kept secret that for the past few months, for some reason, any old Key To The World Card could be used in a FP machine to pull a FP.  And, as luck would have it, I have a lot of old KTTW cards.

So, in just that brief time we were at DHS, this was my haul:

031_zps2d4d2d42.jpg

Sweet.

We would be heading back there.

And riding some rides.

Remember how Toy Story had an 85 minute wait?  And TOT was 70?  Not for us, suckers!

It was close to 1:45 before our food finally arrived.

We were not going to make that Big Thunder FP return time.

No big deal.

It's not like we weren't going to get to ride some rides today.

So, we had a nice leisurely lunch.

And by the way, please note that we were here sitting down in a beautiful restaurant eating off of real plates with real silverware, just barely over an hour after first walking in to this park.  And it was a busy day today. MLK weekend and BTG's and all.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.

Our next FP+ return time was for the Haunted Mansion at 2:40.

Which meant we would have some time to kill.

Don't worry, we put it to good use.

I've got a solution to a pesky mystery that I'll share in the next update.

TCD

It's kind of sad to see the old FP machines go. Over the last several years, my kids achieved the perfect age. I could buy an ice cream Mickey head, find a nice park bench and send the kids on a targeted hunt for FPs. They thought it was fun and I enjoyed the relaxation.

All good things......

Nice job hauling in all the DHS FPs!

It sucks big time that those are now gone forever.

That may keep me from having the experience i was expecting.

Yup, that apparently will be my last FP haul ever. 

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but to those who say FP+ is just as good, it isn't.

The current FP+ rules would require me to choose either RNRC or TSMM.  You can't have a FP+ for both in the same day.  Nor can you ever choose to repeat a ride with FP+.

It's sad to see those paper FP's go.  We always had a good time with them.

TCD, you are definitely the FP king!

Well, I was the FP king.

But there are no more FP's.

Just FP+'s.  And I haven't been able to find any magic tricks with those.

Yet.

It's kind of sad to see the old FP machines go. Over the last several years, my kids achieved the perfect age. I could buy an ice cream Mickey head, find a nice park bench and send the kids on a targeted hunt for FPs. They thought it was fun and I enjoyed the relaxation.

All good things......

It's not kind of sad.

It's very sad.

You're right about all good things .. .

It was fun while it lasted.

Nice FP score. The girls can't be mad at that!

I think I will be ordering that pork at BOG. We have a FP+ time for lunch. Woot!

I broke the news to Jason yesterday that our trip will be FP+ only. He's not pleased.

Please report back on how your FP+ time at lunch works.  I haven't had a chance to try that yet.  Hopefully I will give it a try the next time we spend the night.

There's no way around it- FP+ stinks.  I appreciate the three FP's.  And being able to change them.  But, it doesn't make up for what used to be. At least not for me.  The tiered system at DHS is not good, but it's truly awful at Epcot.  And being limited to three at the MK is bad.  It's OK at AK.

Have a great trip!

Stick around and read the next update, which I will be posting this afternoon- it has something you might want to use to show off at the MK.

TCD

This is just a quick update to share a solution to a mystery that has bugged me since the middle of last year.

As you may know, another new area that opened in the MK last year is on the far side of Fantasyland past the Peter Pan and Small World rides.

it's the Rapunzel bathroom area.

I swore that there would be something more than bathrooms here, but apparently that's it just bathrooms.

Oh, and there is also a seating area and some phone charging stations.

And a tower.

And a little babbling brook.

With some hidden items around it.

The hidden items are little chameleons.

Friends of Pascal, Rapunzel's sidekick.

There's a sign here inviting you to find them:

032_zpsa6c01247.jpg

This is so easy, it's not even funny.

I see two right away, on either side of the bridge over by the side of Columbia Harbor House:

033_zps74a31562.jpg

035_zps4d3da186.jpg

Oh, and there's one up there hiding under a flower box:

036_zps3313e662.jpg

So that's three.

How many are there?

The sign doesn't say.

There must be more than three.

Ah ha. There's one- this one is tricky, but you can see him to the left of that big rock there on the side of the brook closest to us:

038_zps953537eb.jpg

That makes four.

We're doing good!

Then I looked.

And looked some more.

I know there was another one up on the building someplace, but darned if I could find him this time.

I called the twins over.

They looked.

We were stuck after those four.

Well, there can't be that many more, can there?

According to Devores there are 10.

No way.

There's no way there are six chameleons hiding in this little area that three of us with good eyesight can't see.

But there are.

I figured some geek must have posted some hints online.

So I looked.

And I found this video which does an excellent job of showing where all ten are.

I'm going to watch it before the next time I go.

And then amaze the twins with my lizard finding skills.

Don't watch this if you want to find the lizards the honest way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1psmv-J7m_g

See?

10 lizards.

I'll bet I won't be able to find at least one of them even though I know where they all are now.

Next TCD TR will have photos of all 10.

I may need to get myself a laser pointer-so I can point them out to amazed park guests.

TCD

I am confident that you will be the FP+ king very soon!

Check my 11/13 TR and your previous ones ... I think between the two of us we have found all the friends of Pascal.

Did you have photos of the ones in the tree and on the lamp post?  I don't remember seeing photos of those, and I have never seen them in person.

Also, I never notice the one which apparently is in the flower box above the restrooms.

Here's a link to your photos: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/11389-ants-in-the-cheerios-final-update-1221/page-11#entry319462

TCD

Congrats on the paper FP score.  SCORE!   I am a little worried about how the FP+ and Disabilities Access changes are going to affect G.  Hopefully we will be able to find a way to make it work for him.

Charging stations are good as I am inclined to drain a camera battery in no time flat, however, I am not going to search for chameleons on my vacation.  Unless someone is taking a long time in the Rapunzel Potty and I'm left waiting.

Andrew, thanks for the old KTTW card trick a few weeks back. I posted on another topic here on how bad I feel for people who live far away and plan one day at Epcot only to have to choose TT or sorin. We brought some old cards and were able to hit both attractions in the same day with a paper fast pass and a MB one. I think when they allow 3 attractions per day at any park (ex: BTMRR, Sorin and TOT) it will be a lot better. The two tier choices at epocot and DHS really sucks. When are the FP machines leaving Epcot and DHS? I found 6 other old cards :). We are heading back for Presidents' Day weekend for 3 days. Can't wait since we a fanatic AP holders now. Keep those FP cards and save them for your grand kids. They will probably be worth something on eBay by then

Andrew, thanks for the old KTTW card trick a few weeks back. I posted on another topic here on how bad I feel for people who live far away and plan one day at Epcot only to have to choose TT or sorin. We brought some old cards and were able to hit both attractions in the same day with a paper fast pass and a MB one. I think when they allow 3 attractions per day at any park (ex: BTMRR, Sorin and TOT) it will be a lot better. The two tier choices at epocot and DHS really sucks. When are the FP machines leaving Epcot and DHS? I found 6 other old cards :). We are heading back for Presidents' Day weekend for 3 days. Can't wait since we a fanatic AP holders now. Keep those FP cards and save them for your grand kids. They will probably be worth something on eBay by then

There are no legacy FP machines left anywhere in WDW. EPCOT and DHS shut theirs down this week. Everything is FP+ now.

There are no legacy FP machines left anywhere in WDW. EPCOT and DHS shut theirs down this week. Everything is FP+ now.

Thanks, I guess we got lucky a few weeks back. I wish I knew so I could have gotten a picture with a few of the old girls :(

I had a feeling that your old friend that you were going to say good bye too was the fast pass machines............so.......so........so......sad...........I mentioned to my boys that the machines were gone and that WDW was now "ruined" (I know, over dramatic!!!) We consoled ourselves with the fact that Disneyland still has their FP machines. One perk out there is, you can grab one in DL and then run across to the California Adventure and grab another. Since the parks are small in size and right next to each other its easy to go between the two. We haven't decided yet, whether we are doing DL or WDW in August, however, If we go to DL we can still enjoy FP's!!!

I need to make a comment about the photo you posted about the couple texting (possibly each other!!) while pushing their stroller. What struck me with that photo (and made me sad) was that the little girl in the stroller was pointing at something. Here that family is walking down Main Street USA and instead of enjoying that moment with their child and talking with their child and sharing her excitement with whatever she is pointing at (probably the castle) they are immersed in their phones. When I see people like that I would like to shake them and tell them to wake up, live in the moment, enjoy the people around you!!!! UGH!!!

It is funny to see the various layers of clothing/outerwear people are wearing!!! I remember on a November trip we had years ago and people around us were in hats and mittens and we were in shorts. I got a great pic of my Mom while we were waiting for the MK to open. She was wearing a t-shirt and surrounded by people looking like they were headed to the ski slope!! So funny!!

Heidi

I had a feeling that your old friend that you were going to say good bye too was the fast pass machines............so.......so........so......sad...........I mentioned to my boys that the machines were gone and that WDW was now "ruined" (I know, over dramatic!!!) We consoled ourselves with the fact that Disneyland still has their FP machines. One perk out there is, you can grab one in DL and then run across to the California Adventure and grab another. Since the parks are small in size and right next to each other its easy to go between the two. We haven't decided yet, whether we are doing DL or WDW in August, however, If we go to DL we can still enjoy FP's!!!

I need to make a comment about the photo you posted about the couple texting (possibly each other!!) while pushing their stroller. What struck me with that photo (and made me sad) was that the little girl in the stroller was pointing at something. Here that family is walking down Main Street USA and instead of enjoying that moment with their child and talking with their child and sharing her excitement with whatever she is pointing at (probably the castle) they are immersed in their phones. When I see people like that I would like to shake them and tell them to wake up, live in the moment, enjoy the people around you!!!! UGH!!!

It is funny to see the various layers of clothing/outerwear people are wearing!!! I remember on a November trip we had years ago and people around us were in hats and mittens and we were in shorts. I got a great pic of my Mom while we were waiting for the MK to open. She was wearing a t-shirt and surrounded by people looking like they were headed to the ski slope!! So funny!!

Heidi

I would agree with you but on our November trip I felt like I spent the whole trip looking at my phone because of the new fast pass plus system which I really don't like.