Another Auld Lang Syne: The TCD Gang Rings in 2014 @ The Fort!

Great update!

Loved the view from that side of the bridge.

A worker told me it was going to be 30feet high. I didnt know if that would be true or not. Now we know and knowing is half the battle.

G.I. Joe!!!

Wow.  A worker actually gave you correct information.

Too bad you didn't know the price tag at the time- that's an explanation I'd love to hear.

Are those bats getting indoor plumbing? I can't believe how much that box is going to cost!

All of the stuff going on around the dam must be under this same contract.

But even then, $87K for a box on stilts? I need to get my contractor's license and start doing work for Disney.

I can't help it, I have to ask, What is this? Unfortunately I'm not in Florida nearly enough to have learned on my own 

I call them thistles, but I'm sure they have an official name.

Those weeds have a thousand little sharp thorns on them. Really small.  Too small to see and pull out with tweezers.  You only make the mistake of touching one of those plants once.

I have figured out what "Pacific Lakeside Campgrounds" is, it's part of the back-story for the new Pacific Lakeside Resort, or heretofore known as River Country DVC. The purchase order for the shirts was supposed to be post-dated for 2015, but someone screwed up and they are a year early. That's got to be it. Doesn't it?

I hope they wouldn't call a resort located in Florida Pacific Lakeside Campgrounds.

But, based on how things have been going around WDW lately, who you could be right!

TCD

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yay another report!   War Eagle!!!    I have never seen the garland in person so bummer.  But it also irks me a little that it blocks the view of the castle.   I was in the night time parade when I wa

OOPS....My bad it's a case of fat fingers on an 8" screen... Didn't see it until you mentioned it. That is one thing that we need is a way to correct those.

The CM with Hullahoop is Barbara. She is a legend among anyone who has worked MS. She is Walt reincarnated as a woman. She is a blast to work with and always has a smile on her face and dances around.

I hope they wouldn't call a resort located in Florida Pacific Lakeside Campgrounds.

But, based on how things have been going around WDW lately, who you could be right!

TCD

Don't know why not, they have a Port Orleans Riverside, and a New England styled Boardwalk and Y&BC. 

I guess the Wilderness Lodge is supposed to be a lodge in the west.

TCD

From my other travels, the Wilderness Lodge does have a strong resemblence to the Old Faithful Inn at Yellowstone...with touches of the Pacific Northwest thrown in.

From my other travels, the Wilderness Lodge does have a strong resemblence to the Old Faithful Inn at Yellowstone...with touches of the Pacific Northwest thrown in.

I agree with you about the Old Faithful Lodge, we thought the same things. We have also visited the Ahwahnee Lodge in Yosemite and the Glacier Park Lodge in Glacier National Park and also saw touches of the Wilderness in those lodges too.

One things is for sure, when Disney makes a themed resort, they do their homework to make it as authentic as possible!

The designers of WL drew inspiration from the lodges of the west that were designed with the "parkitecture" style. Lots of design cues from Old Faithful Lodge, Ahwahnee Lodge, and Glacier Park Lodge are present in WL.

I can't help it, I have to ask, What is this? Unfortunately I'm not in Florida nearly enough to have learned on my own 

We have them in Pennsylvania and we call them Nettles....  When you touch them they transfer tiny needles or quills into your skin, clothes etc... It stings and is quite painful and yet another use for duct tape.

We have them in Pennsylvania and we call them Nettles....  When you touch them they transfer tiny needles or quills into your skin, clothes etc... It stings and is quite painful and yet another use for duct tape.

What a great tip!  Just had a splinter issue last week, wish I'd have thought of the tape.

I remember someone had a photo of one of these in the Where in the World thread here on ff.net, and it stumped a lot of people.  I don't think many people even notice the trees.

That was Thrill.  He had taken it on one of the trips he chaperones.  He knows how much I love those silly trees.  I did not grow up in Florida like he did, but I have always had a thing for palm trees.  We can't maintain a real one in Georgia, but we decorate a little with them (paintings, dishes, etc) in our kitchen.  We even have a lighted artificial Christmas palm tree.  Silly, I know....

True.  One of these days, I need to take one of the free guided tours of the Lodge.  There are lots of details and ideas taken from some of the great National Park lodges that most guests overlook.

Great adventure that you made across the canal! I am waiting to see what you saw on the walk back!! You said it was one of the "coolest things you have ever seen at the fort" so it must be impressive!!

And that bat house is going to be impressive for sure!! What a price tag!!

I hope I didn't build the cool thing up too much.

The photos from it will be in the next update.

I agree with you about the Old Faithful Lodge, we thought the same things. We have also visited the Ahwahnee Lodge in Yosemite and the Glacier Park Lodge in Glacier National Park and also saw touches of the Wilderness in those lodges too.

One things is for sure, when Disney makes a themed resort, they do their homework to make it as authentic as possible!

The only National Park lodge I've visited in person is Crater Lake Lodge in Oregon.  It's an amazing place.  I know you got to visit there yourself.

I've often wanted to go back to Oregon.  There's another lodge at Oregon Caves National Monument that Disney swiped an idea from- this lodge has a stream running through its dining room, like the spring and stream that runs through the Wilderness Lodge's lobby:  http://www.nps.gov/orca/historyculture/upload/pp_chateau_tour.pdf

The designers of WL drew inspiration from the lodges of the west that were designed with the "parkitecture" style. Lots of design cues from Old Faithful Lodge, Ahwahnee Lodge, and Glacier Park Lodge are present in WL.

And the Chateau at Oregon Caves National Monument.

Nettles.  I think that is what they're called.  Stinging Nettles.  Don't touch.

Never knew about the duct tape.  I hope to never have to give it a try.

What a great tip!  Just had a splinter issue last week, wish I'd have thought of the tape.

I always have a couple of rolls in the storage compartment of my camper

We did go! We went Saturday - we got there right at 2:00. We parked at Wilderness Lodge and took the boat over to the Fort. Afterwards, we walked back to Wilderness Lodge.

Oh.

You just missed me.

We stopped by Trail's End for a GAG on Saturday night around 6-ish.  I only met one Fiend.  But it was a good one.  That will be covered in the bonus features.

That was Thrill.  He had taken it on one of the trips he chaperones.  He knows how much I love those silly trees.  I did not grow up in Florida like he did, but I have always had a thing for palm trees.  We can't maintain a real one in Georgia, but we decorate a little with them (paintings, dishes, etc) in our kitchen.  We even have a lighted artificial Christmas palm tree.  Silly, I know....

Yes, its was Thrill.

Back when I was a Yankee, it was a BFD (Big Fort Deal) to see a real live palm tree.  Spanish moss too.

So, I understand the attraction.  Not silly at all.

TCD

Time to head back:

509_zps1d6d3912.jpg

There were some old stakes in the wood here near the dam.  I remember having seen them from the other side of the canal long ago.  I'm not sure what these are here for-probably some old survey or testing that was done:

513_zps7ad36fc8.jpg

There's the 300 loop:

514_zpsea34b858.jpg

This is the canal that heads back to the Bike Barn adjacent to the 1500 loop-at the mouth of this canal, and at the other one that we saw earlier, there are old supports from footbridges that used to be here:

515_zpsed594706.jpg

Take a closer look:

516_zpsab06d367.jpg

Old Fort maps show those bridges.  I never saw them in person.  I guess that there was a trail that guests could walk along on the Fort side of the canal, just like I'm doing on this side.

Also, I'm not sure if you can see the little rings on the canal surface, but it was starting to rain again, and I still had a bit of walking to do.

Great.

Luckily, I've never forgotten the scout motto:  Be Prepared.  Yup.  I brought a poncho.  It's sitting on the golf cart waiting for me.

Oh well, nothing I could do but keep on walking.

Luckily, the rain didn't last long.  Just enough to get me damp.

I kept walking.

It was right here that I saw something really cool.

A deer came out of the woods across the canal, walked right up to the canal, and swam across, coming out on the other side.  And it shook like a dog, and trotted off into the woods.

Cool.

Then another one came out.

And another.

One by one, each deer came out, and swam across the canal.

I tried to get a photo:

517_zps0575a121.jpg

Take a closer look at that photo- you can see two blobs there in the canal-those are the deer swimming:

deerswim1_zps601e3071.jpg

Two more:

deerswim2_zps6966a551.jpg

One in the center:

deerswim3_zpsdbd8825b.jpg

You can see a deer walking in to the canal in this photo:

deerswim4_zps7ea52e12.jpg

This is the regular view of that last photo- there was an Osprey up in the tree on the left watching all of this with me:

523_zpsb13c3b05.jpg

You can see a deer's white tail disappearing into the woods in this photo:

deerswim5_zps3c09290f.jpg

All together, there were 8-10 deer who came out of the woods and swam across the canal, shook like dogs, and darted off into the woods.

Maybe you don't think that's cool, but I did.

It was a very cool thing to see.

I stood there for a while, and there were no more deer coming out of the woods on the other side, so I decided to head on.

But, then I noticed one deer hadn't trotted off into the woods.

He was hanging around.  And he was staring at me:

deerswim6_zpsc352112b.jpg

This young buck had himself some antlers.  Here he's looking into the woods, but he wasn't leaving:

deerswim7_zps644e3621.jpg

So, what was I supposed to do?

This walk had already taken a lot longer than I had thought it would, and I didn't feel like standing there getting bit by chiggers.

But, that deer had antlers.

Deer have been known to attack humans.

Bring it on, I said to the young buck.

I also got ready to video the encounter. In case he gored me and I died, I figured maybe my girls could sell the video and make some money.

But, the young buck chickened out and ran into the woods.

So, no goring.

And no video.

Sorry.

This is the spot where they all ran in:

537_zpsc5610020.jpg

There was an old traffic cone here.  I wonder why?:

538_zpsa3aab2ed.jpg

Everything else I saw on the way back was the same as what I saw on the way out.

So, here we are back where we started at 10:04 am:

539_zpscce8840f.jpg

540_zps6a363b8a.jpg

That little adventure took an hour.

For me, it was an hour well spent.

The mystery tank and contraption is still sitting in the woods along the path back to the gate.  I wonder if anyone checks on it still?:

541_zps7972d073.jpg

Once spring arrives, the vines and vegetation around that tank will grow up again, and it won't be easy to spot.  If you ever want to see it for yourself, it is directly across from this crushed drainage pipe:

542_zps2669d560.jpg

Finally, I made it back to the cart.

I wondered how far I had walked.

How long do you think?

Well, it's easy enough to figure that out- it looks like around 2 1/2 miles total:

distance_zpsff0cf98f.jpg

I was back at my site just a few minutes later, and walked over to the Meadow Trading Post for another cup of coffee.

On the way back, I stopped to admire this resurrection fern growing on a tree trunk:

543_zpsa249df6f.jpg

The azaleas here aren't trying to bloom yet, so maybe there will be some nice flowers come spring:

544_zpsbf5bb13b.jpg

The girls were still sleeping when I got back.

But, It was time to get them up soon.

I made some cinnamon rolls in the toaster oven.

And I brought them in to the camper.

It smelled pretty good in there.

And we ate inside, because this is how it was outside:

545_zps04922e6b.jpg

The first day of 2014 was a soggy one.

But, we still had fun.

We mostly hung out in the camper and watched football.

At one point, I broke out one of my Christmas gifts.

My sister who lives in Washington State had sent us a Tower of Salmon.

It was six or seven boxes in a stack.  Each box contained some kind of salmon product.

I opened up a pouch of smoked salmon.

Holy smokes, it smelled!

Stunk up the camper but good.

I took it outside, and the rule was you had to go out there to eat it.

I had to crank up the fan to clear out the salmon smell.

But I'm not sure it ever completely cleared out.

We ate lunch in the camper too.

But, we did have plans to hit up a park.

We made FP+ reservations for later in the day at Hollywood Studios.  We also planned to eat dinner there.

We will be heading there next.

TCD

Yeah, only time I've ever thought about deer swimming is when the fall through ice. But I've gotta ask, why do you say they shook like a dog? Who's to say the deer didn't come up with the idea and the dogs are just shaking like deer? (Deep thoughts with...)

It's hard to imagine being so close to the action of Disney and being able to witness the wildlife that the Fort offers. Thanks for sharing that! I hope that big resort doesn't chase all the wildlife away I realize the 2 legged wildlife may continue!

Shoot!

That last update was my 9,999 post here on FF.net, and I wanted to save the 10,000th for something momentous.

But I forgot.

Dang it.

Oh well, I'll try to slow down for my 20,000th.

I think the deer are cool too. I've never seen anything like that and didn't know they'd shake like dogs. Come to think of it, I've never really thought about deer swimming. 

Salmon stink. LOL

Well thanks!

When the TCD girls got up and asked me what I had done all morning, I told them about seeing the bat house permit and the swimming deer, and they weren't impressed.

Yeah, only time I've ever thought about deer swimming is when the fall through ice. But I've gotta ask, why do you say they shook like a dog? Who's to say the deer didn't come up with the idea and the dogs are just shaking like deer? (Deep thoughts with...)

Deep thoughts?

Not quite.

Weird thoughts is more like it.

But, you make a good point, now when I see a dog shake I'll say it shakes like a deer.

Do cats shake like that?  I'm not much of a cat person so I don't know.

It's hard to imagine being so close to the action of Disney and being able to witness the wildlife that the Fort offers. Thanks for sharing that! I hope that big resort doesn't chase all the wildlife away I realize the 2 legged wildlife may continue!

Very good!

That's a point I meant to make.

How awesome is it that a group of deer lives around the Fort like that?

I don't think the new Four Seasons will chase any of the Fort wildlife away.

And the two legged wild life will probably stay on their side of the canal.

The deer story is awesome!

I would love to have seen that.

I had three deer in my backyard this morning.

It was zero degrees. Better them than me.

Zero?

I can't imagine that.

It was in the low 70's when I took my walk and saw the deer swim.

TCD

That was very, very cool about the deer! That's amazing that there were SO MANY!! Even though we only live 20-minutes from our state capitol, out house is in a fairly rural area. We have a huge hayfield and get to see deer almost daily. Not so much in the winter, but they are around. We never tire of seeing them and even now, after living here for 25 years, I still get a thrill when I see one!

The only National Park lodge I've visited in person is Crater Lake Lodge in Oregon.  It's an amazing place.  I know you got to visit there yourself.

I've often wanted to go back to Oregon.  There's another lodge at Oregon Caves National Monument that Disney swiped an idea from- this lodge has a stream running through its dining room, like the spring and stream that runs through the Wilderness Lodge's lobby:  http://www.nps.gov/orca/historyculture/upload/pp_chateau_tour.pdf

Thanks for posting this link! What a neat place to stay! I have added it to my "list" of places to visit! When we did our first two western trips (2007 and 2010) we didn't stay in any of the National Park Lodges. The rustic nature of no AC, TV's etc. kinda scared me! However, on our last one in 2012 we made it a point to stay in the various Lodges and it turned out to be a highlight of the trip! However, in between those stays we always stayed in regular hotels full of amenities!!

Yes, we loved Crater Lake! Someday, I will make a trip report and post the photos of Crater Lake and the other Lodges/parks we visited!

Zero?

I can't imagine that.

It was in the low 70's when I took my walk and saw the deer swim.

TCD

I am super jealous reading this!!! I want to feel 70 degree weather right NOW!! I just checked my thermometer and it says 5 degrees! Earlier today we got as high as 10 degrees! Even with this cold, my youngest son spent a few hours skiing at the mountain and is playing hockey on an outside ice rink as I sit typing this! So ya, I am jealous, I want some warmth and nice weather!!

Congrats on 10,000 posts! That's like getting into "5 time host of Saturday Night Live club." I can't imagine all the privileges you've earned. Maybe it comes with a higher picture posting limit. Living the dream TCD style!

That was very, very cool about the deer! That's amazing that there were SO MANY!! Even though we only live 20-minutes from our state capitol, out house is in a fairly rural area. We have a huge hayfield and get to see deer almost daily. Not so much in the winter, but they are around. We never tire of seeing them and even now, after living here for 25 years, I still get a thrill when I see one!

I always like seeing deer too.  It used to be a very rare occurrence at the Fort.  Now, I see them every trip.  But, I've never seen a group swim across the canal like that.  They were clearly a unit, and worked together.  That was a really neat thing to see.

Thanks for posting this link! What a neat place to stay! I have added it to my "list" of places to visit! When we did our first two western trips (2007 and 2010) we didn't stay in any of the National Park Lodges. The rustic nature of no AC, TV's etc. kinda scared me! However, on our last one in 2012 we made it a point to stay in the various Lodges and it turned out to be a highlight of the trip! However, in between those stays we always stayed in regular hotels full of amenities!!

Yes, we loved Crater Lake! Someday, I will make a trip report and post the photos of Crater Lake and the other Lodges/parks we visited!

Personally, I love the rustic nature of the lodges.  And even how out-of-date they are.  They are classics.  I would much rather spend a night there than at some slick place with all the bells and whistles.

I have this vague dream of one day touring the west and staying at the lodges.  There are many.  PBS did a show about them.  I enjoyed watching that.

I am super jealous reading this!!! I want to feel 70 degree weather right NOW!! I just checked my thermometer and it says 5 degrees! Earlier today we got as high as 10 degrees! Even with this cold, my youngest son spent a few hours skiing at the mountain and is playing hockey on an outside ice rink as I sit typing this! So ya, I am jealous, I want some warmth and nice weather!!

We have had some cool weather since the 1st of the year, but I still don't think we've had a freeze or any frost.

Congrats on 10,000 posts! That's like getting into "5 time host of Saturday Night Live club." I can't imagine all the privileges you've earned. Maybe it comes with a higher picture posting limit. Living the dream TCD style!

I am the 8th Fiend to reach that number.

I think there should be a gathering of the 10,000 post club members.

At Lou's house.

Who's with me?

TCD

I am the 8th Fiend to reach that number.

I think there should be a gathering of the 10,000 post club members.

At Lou's house.

Who's with me?

TCD

Me!

OK, that's two out of 8.

Since Lou doesn't read trip reports, we can plan this without him knowing.  Won't this be a fun surprise for him?

We just need to hear from Doodle, Mo, Carol, DIT, and Nicki.

TCD