Another Auld Lang Syne: The TCD Gang Rings in 2014 @ The Fort!

My favorite ride, but I'll bite.  What is the back story?

I'm not sure if this is official, but I remember reading it before the ride opened.  I actually think it was in my local paper.

The story is that we are about to take a ride on a train operated by a couple of guys who take shortcuts to make a buck.

Most people go around the Forbidden Mountain, because legend has it that it is inhabited by a Yeti who attacks those who dare to enter his territory.

These guys (who have politically incorrect names I can't remember) take the risk of running their train directly over and through the mountain.

As we travel through the queue, we see their office and all the provisions they have for sale.  Then we travel through their museum.  We then board the trains.  Don't worry, everything will be fine.

We first go through a temple the guys built to offer sacrifices to the mountain-this is supposed to protect us from the Yeti.

But, just as we are about to crest the mountain, we come across some tracks that are ripped up.  And a bird on a stick (which isn't there anymore, and I never knew what is was there for anyway), and things go south quickly.

We then go on a crazy, out of control ride, ending with a scary face-to-face encounter with a huge snarling Yeti who tries to grab us.

Great ride.

Of course, now that huge snarling Yeti is just standing there under strobe lights. But what can you do?

Anyway, that's the short version of the back story I heard.

TCD

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yay another report!   War Eagle!!!    I have never seen the garland in person so bummer.  But it also irks me a little that it blocks the view of the castle.   I was in the night time parade when I wa

OOPS....My bad it's a case of fat fingers on an 8" screen... Didn't see it until you mentioned it. That is one thing that we need is a way to correct those.

The CM with Hullahoop is Barbara. She is a legend among anyone who has worked MS. She is Walt reincarnated as a woman. She is a blast to work with and always has a smile on her face and dances around.

We need an update.

It's a new year!

It was well past 2 when we finally got settled and to sleep the night before.  It wasn't long after that that it started to rain.  Not too hard, but it rained on and off all night, and everything was wet in the morning. 

I woke up to bus noise around 7 am, and it was raining.  I turned over and went back to sleep.

But not for long.

I got up around 8, and the rain had paused.

Time for me to take a look around.

I stopped by the Meadow Trading Post for some coffee.

I admired all of the Fort-specific merchandise.  For the longest time, there was no Fort-specific merchandise.  Then they got some in, but they had trouble keeping it in stock.  Now, they've got plenty.  I guess everyone who wants it has it:

372_zps04a4be98.jpg

373_zps948b9717.jpg

They still try to sneak in some non-Fort stuff.  This t-shirt puzzles me.  Who would come to the Fort and buy it?:

371_zpsc2ba76d0.jpg

Since it was kind of wet and drippy, I thought I may as well hang out on the porch and enjoy my coffee.  There were rockers awaiting:

375_zpsbd38e100.jpg

The Christmas music loop was still playing, so I dragged a rocker under a speaker, and this was my view:

374_zps34fbbefe.jpg

What a great way to begin a new year!

I sat and I rocked.

And I listened to that soothing music.

The weather wasn't the best, but I didn't care.  We had no big plans today, and although it was rainy, it was still pretty warm.

I thought some of you might like to re-live this experience, so I set my camera on the fence, and pushed record.  This is what I got.  If you have two minutes to spare, watch and listen.  The music was kind of quiet, so you need to turn your volume up all the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USdVkGXbrvg

There's a couple of things to look for in that video.  First, note how the lights across the way automatically turn off shortly after I started taping- the day is about to begin.

And, at the very end,  notice how noisy that bus is when it stops at the bus stop.  Even though it's pretty far away, it drowns out the music.  My site is just a few feet away from where that bus stopped.  And where buses like it stopped and made noises like that all day long.  Not so nice.  But better than the Red Solo Cup gang.

By the way, I love that song.  Do you recognize it?  We Three Kings.  Great song.

Hey.

You skipped the video.

Stop.

Go back.

Click on it.  Sit still for two minutes and watch and listen.

I'll wait.

There.

Don't you feel better now?

Don't you just love that music?

I hope so, because I thought I ought to get a video from the back porch too.

Here you go.

I was standing under the speaker for this one, so you don't need to turn the volume up all the way.

This one is only 51 seconds long.

You have time for that.

The song is Oh Christmas Tree.  You'll like it, I promise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeKaXOopw0Q

If you didn't click, stop right now and watch that video.

I promise it will make you smile.

If you're done watching, we can move on.

Here is Bob's dock on the first day of 2014:

378_zps91384f9a.jpg

And here's that giant sycamore tree that I am always taking pictures of:

379_zps7ab2fec7.jpg

Bob's dock again, but this also shows the Christmas decorations on the Bike Barn.  These will be coming down tonight, and most guests don't have a clue:

380_zpsb4eca853.jpg

I wished Bear Rock a Happy New Year:

381_zpsdb56b6c7.jpg

It's been a while since I've checked on Bob's Bobber Tree.  This time of year is a good time to look, as the leaves are starting to fall:

382_zpseed3c53b.jpg

Let's head there.

I love that bridge over there:

383_zpsf3ca38b9.jpg

The bobber crop is good this year- look at the left branch:

384_zpsd75ee224.jpg

Here's a closer look, just in case:

385_zps198fe0c9.jpg

A look back at the Trading Post from here:

386_zpscb93601d.jpg

In case you didn't notice, I love the old Fishin' hole:

387_zps7b5fda5a.jpg

388_zpsd9b3e343.jpg

Even though it has been a mild winter so far, the trees behind the trading post are dropping their leaves.  They have to, whether they want to or not:

389_zps6a183492.jpg

Here's the last time you're going to see the Christmas decorations on the back porch, so enjoy them:

390_zps8fac3d1a.jpg

Have you ever played Hop Scotch here?  If not, you should:

391_zps6197f564.jpg

Here's something I hated to see.  Some idiot broke the covers off the electric outlets.  What the Fort?  What is wrong with people?:

392_zpscc021de5.jpg

Hey kids, look- a phone with a cord.  When's the last time you saw one?:

393_zpsaaa029d4.jpg

You can tell these phone numbers haven't been updated in a while.  I wonder who answers if you call the kennel?  Also, note that you can get your film developed at both the trading posts.  Do you kids even know what that means?:

394_zps2e28cecd.jpg

Also, the joke's on you if you go to the Bike Barn for your cart rental.

I could have stayed here around the Trading Post longer, but I had to go.

When I walked by, I peeked in the window, and nobody was inside.  No customers- just CM's.

So, who is parked over there in the 15 minute parking spots?:

396_zpsc0b65c06.jpg

Anyone here afraid of snakes?

Look what I found on the side of my site, just a few feet from the camper:

397_zps474e0378.jpg

398_zps206c6d9d.jpg

Definitely from a rattler.

Or a rat snake.

One or the other.

The rain seemed to have let up.

Time for a golf cart ride.

Let's go!

First stop, 1600 loop.

These decorations belong to TiggerinBama from here on ff.net.

Well done, Kelly:

399_zps85c5bbf5.jpg

400_zpsaadee018.jpg

Well poop.

We're at the photo limit.

To be continued.

TCD

The videos are great! SO peaceful, and yes the bus was loud.  Funny you mentioned that T-Shirt. My DH said the same thing, first he thought perhaps there was another Disney campground somewhere....  We asked every CM we could find what that shirt was all about and no one had a clue.

So weird. Must be some top secret Disney reason.story.

WHAT kind of snake skin was that for real?

I loved those videos!  Thank you so much for taking them.  I WANT TO BE THERE!!!!  But since I'll be there in February, I don't have long to wait to mosey over to the Meadows and simply enjoy the solitude that an early morning at the Fort brings!  Well done, TCD!

I could have done without that snakeskin picture, however.  I hope you didn't show it to your girls.  YUK!

Watching those videos I could feel my blood pressure dropping.  

I wonder what would happen if you got yourself a cup of coffee and a rocking chair and watched them again?

You might pass out!

The videos are great! SO peaceful, and yes the bus was loud.  Funny you mentioned that T-Shirt. My DH said the same thing, first he thought perhaps there was another Disney campground somewhere....  We asked every CM we could find what that shirt was all about and no one had a clue.

So weird. Must be some top secret Disney reason.story.

WHAT kind of snake skin was that for real?

I figure it must be from a black snake. I see them at the Fort from time to time, and around my house often.

They're black.

Thus the name.

They probably have a real name, but I just call them black snakes.

I loved those videos!  Thank you so much for taking them.  I WANT TO BE THERE!!!!  But since I'll be there in February, I don't have long to wait to mosey over to the Meadows and simply enjoy the solitude that an early morning at the Fort brings!  Well done, TCD!

I could have done without that snakeskin picture, however.  I hope you didn't show it to your girls.  YUK!

Thanks.  Glad you liked the videos.

Sure, I showed the girls the snake skin.  Not a big deal to them.  Growing up, they each had a nature box with dead bugs, snake skins, turtle shells, unidentified animal bones, sharks' teeth, feathers, you name it.  One of them had a really cool possum skull for a while. These girls grew up camping and going to the beach.  They're not afraid of snakes.  We've had snakes get in our house before.  Not a big deal in Florida.

TCD

I know the shirts (there are others in the Settlement TP by the same maker) are made by a company called Element.  I recognized it because my boys are into skateboarding and they make a lot of skate/surf related stuff.  I guess maybe they're some kind of outdoor equipment co.?  And struck some kind of deal w/ Disney?  I am sure they're terribly overpriced.  I can get Element, Hurley & Quiksilver stuff at TJMaxx for my boys for around 8-10 bucks.

:51 is not enough.

Agreed.

But, I wouldn't expect anyone to want to watch too long of a video.

Luckily, fellow Fiend MetalDad made me a CD with the Fort Christmas music on it.  The TCD girls roll their eyes when I start playing it in my car.

I don't get that shirt either. Is there a hidden meaning? Devores?

Wow.

Hold on to your hat.

We don't need Devores on this one.

Just google.

I googled Pacific Lakeside Campgrounds Disney, and guess what popped up?

Your boyfriend Josh's site!

He saw the shirt in Frontierland:

And said this:

This is an extremely subtle Disney-Parks-branded t-shirt.

rthgx80.jpg

Also Disney-Parks-branded, I doubt there are even five people a day that see it and recognize the reference.

What is good old Josh talking about?

I don't get it.

Some other folks didn't either, so Josh clarified:

Pacific Lakeside Campgrounds is (apparently) an even more subtle reference to a camp visited by Walt Disney and P.L. Travers: https://twitter.com/aaronspod/status/408329477262180352

What?

I didn't know that!

Here's a link for you and anyone else who wants to read the whole Josh post:  http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized/new-magic-kingdom-bus-loop-mine-train-construction-pecos-steak-and-chicken-platter-review-crowds-12313/

I know the shirts (there are others in the Settlement TP by the same maker) are made by a company called Element.  I recognized it because my boys are into skateboarding and they make a lot of skate/surf related stuff.  I guess maybe they're some kind of outdoor equipment co.?  And struck some kind of deal w/ Disney?  I am sure they're terribly overpriced.  I can get Element, Hurley & Quiksilver stuff at TJMaxx for my boys for around 8-10 bucks.

Apparently, this particular shirt is actually a Disney Parks shirt, and according to what I posted above, is the name of a campground Walt brought P.L. Travers to.  I haven't seen the Saving Mr. Banks movie yet.  Is there any reference to this in the movie?

TCD

So, I'm guessing http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/01/first-look-maleficent-joins-the-disney-festival-of-fantasy-parade-coming-to-magic-kingdom-park/ is why we won't have garlands and wreaths over Main St for future Christmasses.

Agreed.

But, I wouldn't expect anyone to want to watch too long of a video.

Luckily, fellow Fiend MetalDad made me a CD with the Fort Christmas music on it.  The TCD girls roll their eyes when I start playing it in my car.

Wow.

Hold on to your hat.

We don't need Devores on this one.

Just google.

I googled Pacific Lakeside Campgrounds Disney, and guess what popped up?

Your boyfriend Josh's site!

He saw the shirt in Frontierland:

And said this:

This is an extremely subtle Disney-Parks-branded t-shirt.

rthgx80.jpg

Also Disney-Parks-branded, I doubt there are even five people a day that see it and recognize the reference.

What is good old Josh talking about?

I don't get it.

Some other folks didn't either, so Josh clarified:

Pacific Lakeside Campgrounds is (apparently) an even more subtle reference to a camp visited by Walt Disney and P.L. Travers: https://twitter.com/aaronspod/status/408329477262180352

What?

I didn't know that!

Here's a link for you and anyone else who wants to read the whole Josh post:  http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized/new-magic-kingdom-bus-loop-mine-train-construction-pecos-steak-and-chicken-platter-review-crowds-12313/

Apparently, this particular shirt is actually a Disney Parks shirt, and according to what I posted above, is the name of a campground Walt brought P.L. Travers to.  I haven't seen the Saving Mr. Banks movie yet.  Is there any reference to this in the movie?

TCD

I stand corrected.  But, there are some T's and possibly some other merch. with the Element brand name on them in the TPs.  

Who is Josh?  The dude who got booted out of the MK for posting illegally obtained footage?

Wow! I'm finally caught up! And way to much to comment on.

First of all great little video from the porch New Year's Day morning. I loved it

Second, when you were talking about opening the canal for boat traffic to the Four Seasons, and that they would have to build a new dam down stream.

I was on my iPad and couldn't zoom in on your picture. So I went to my maps app and I noticed what looked like a dam on the canal just down stream from where you marked the possible boat dock at the Four Seasons. You can't see it on your picture but maybe you can look at it and tell me what it is. Is it a new dam? Is old? If it is a dam it would be real easy to remove the one behind the 300 loop. I'm going to try to post a picture of it if I can.

MKtoFourSeasons_zps88252edd.jpg

Interesting! I should follow my BF on twitter, I guess. No, Walt doesn't take her camping in the movie. You NEED to go see that movie. NOW. It's good.

I am (hopefully) going to see Saving Mr. Banks this weekend.

The only reference I could find to the meaning of that t-shirt anywhere on the interwebz was that little comment by Josh.  He may or may not be right about it.  I don't have a better theory, but I was wondering if it may be the camp the twins go to in the Parent Trap?

So, I'm guessing http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/01/first-look-maleficent-joins-the-disney-festival-of-fantasy-parade-coming-to-magic-kingdom-park/ is why we won't have garlands and wreaths over Main St for future Christmasses.

That's exactly how the rumor goes.

By the way, there's a thread about the new parade here on ff.net: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/9816-new-festival-of-fantasy-parade-coming-to-mk-in-2014/

And there's a link on there to some poor quality leaked photos of the new floats.  Here's one:

Exclusive-Festival-of-Fantasy-Parade-Pho

Using the guy in the orange vest and that Security SUV as references, these floats are huge!

Umm, MetalDad. Fort Christmas music? Torrent link, please (!!!!!) :-)

I don't think MetalDad is reading along.  I don't have a link, just a CD.  I will see if he can help Santa with this.  Santa should have a FW Christmas music loop.

I stand corrected.  But, there are some T's and possibly some other merch. with the Element brand name on them in the TPs.  

Who is Josh?  The dude who got booted out of the MK for posting illegally obtained footage?

Josh is a young adult who lives in his mom's basement blogger who posts on a site called EasyWDW.

GDF is his #1 (and perhaps only) fan.

He is still posting on his blog, so I don't think he's the dude who got booted out of the MK that you are referring to.  And, by the way, I haven't heard about anyone being booted from the MK for illegally filming anything- what's that about?

For what it's worth, I enjoy reading Josh's blog- he isn't one of those Pixie Dust snorters like so many other bloggers.

Wow! I'm finally caught up! And way to much to comment on.

First of all great little video from the porch New Year's Day morning. I loved it

Second, when you were talking about opening the canal for boat traffic to the Four Seasons, and that they would have to build a new dam down stream.

I was on my iPad and couldn't zoom in on your picture. So I went to my maps app and I noticed what looked like a dam on the canal just down stream from where you marked the possible boat dock at the Four Seasons. You can't see it on your picture but maybe you can look at it and tell me what it is. Is it a new dam? Is old? If it is a dam it would be real easy to remove the one behind the 300 loop. I'm going to try to post a picture of it if I can.

MKtoFourSeasons_zps88252edd.jpg

Interesting find, Ray.

I'm going to respond to this in a separate post, as I have some photos to share.

TCD

Look towards the bottom center of pictures.

image_zps1f5c6b04.jpg

Here's a closer look. Center of picture.

image_zps305b5994.jpg

Good find.

I never noticed that dam.

But, now that you pointed it out, I went to the Orange County Property Appraiser's website to look at their archived aerial photos. They go back to 2001.

Here's the 2013 photo of the dam:

GO2013_zpsc45f8b23.jpg

Going back through the years, that dam is there all the way back to 2001.  The photos that predate 2004 are grainy when zoomed to the level of the 2013 photo above, so here's the one from 2004:

GO2004_zps5718d2f6.jpg

This is a screen-cap of the 2001 photo, zoomed out just a bit so it's not grainy- but you can see that the dam is there:

GO2001_zps04e67c93.jpg

So, it's not new.

But, your point is still a valid one- couldn't they use that dam to control water levels adequately enough to allow the removal of the dam closer to Bay Lake?

TCD

I'm behind here but i have a few comments.

A 4 hour wait for TT? I would need a snack bar and rest stop at the halfway point! Actually, I wouldn't because I will never step foot on WDW property when it is that crowded. I needed a brown paper bag just looking at the pics!

The people laying in the hall at epCOt reminds me of when airports are shut down for weather and people are stuck there.

I think you should make a list of everything wrong/outdated with the fort and mail it in to management and see if anything changes. Like the phone lists.

Interesting on the T-Shirt theory. However, I highly doubt Walt took P.L. Travers campingthere.  I saw the movie and loved it. I would like to see it again without my one year old, but will have to wait until it comes out on dvd for that.

I saw no reference in the movie about any campground.

I'm behind here but i have a few comments.

A 4 hour wait for TT? I would need a snack bar and rest stop at the halfway point! Actually, I wouldn't because I will never step foot on WDW property when it is that crowded. I needed a brown paper bag just looking at the pics!

The people laying in the hall at epCOt reminds me of when airports are shut down for weather and people are stuck there.

I think you should make a list of everything wrong/outdated with the fort and mail it in to management and see if anything changes. Like the phone lists.

Don't worry about being behind- I know it's hard to keep up, and you certainly have your hands full.

I agree with you- no way would I ever get in a four hour line.

Shoot me.

The people laying around everywhere were exactly like you see in an airport when people are stranded.  Only these people aren't stranded- they're just resting up before getting drunk and screaming Fuego.

If I tried to make a list of everything at the Fort that needs fixing, I would never finish!

Interesting on the T-Shirt theory. However, I highly doubt Walt took P.L. Travers campingthere.  I saw the movie and loved it. I would like to see it again without my one year old, but will have to wait until it comes out on dvd for that.

I saw no reference in the movie about any campground.

I'll have to see the movie myself, but my understanding is that Walt and that lady had a stormy relationship, and she didn't like or trust Walt very much.

When you think about it, how likely is it that Walt took that lady camping?

And, Walt was a big deal then.  So, how would that have worked?  No way he heads out to the woods with a tent.

So, I think you're right- the only people who made the so-called connection are Josh and one of his fanbois.  Hardly authoritative.

But, the shirt is a Disney Parks shirt, so there must be some kind of Disney connection to it.

TCD

We need an update.

We left off with me looping around the 1600 loop on the cart.

Next loop was the 1800 loop.

The first site in the loop had the same folks in it that were here when we camped a few weeks earlier.  Note how they have a wrap around their trailer at the back of the site:

401_zpsacb55c79.jpg

These are the folks with this hot-rod.  They've been at the Fort every winter for as long as I can remember:

402_zpsfe28038d.jpg

Since I was on the 1800 loop, I figured I may as well take a look at the canal and the Four Seasons building project.  I had just been here about two weeks before.  If you read that TR, you may remember that I found two old bikes chained up next to the gate at the end of the pet walk, which was very odd.  I thought I would check on the bikes and see if they were still there.

So here we are, right at the entrance to the pet walk area- and there's the Four Seasons- you can see the smaller buildings easily from right here:

403_zpsfa84461a.jpg

We are right here, next to a campsite, and you can see the Four Seasons from this spot:

404_zps443d613f.jpg

More and more of it comes into view as we walk closer:

407_zps9e19f5cc.jpg

Those are just the small out buildings we've seen so far.

The big building is here:

408_zpsa9bca784.jpg

It's a really nice looking building, but it's too close to the Fort:

410_zpsa0245167.jpg

Here we are at the gate.  Those bikes are gone:

414_zpsacd059da.jpg

Here's the view from the gate, which is the border of this part of the Fort:

415_zps9557a691.jpg

Two years ago, I was at the Fort for New Year's Eve, and I walked this same path, and took these photos, which was right after they had the groundbreaking ceremony:

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

They've come a long way baby.

But after two solid years of building, they're still not done.

Supposedly, they will be opening the resort this summer.

Time will tell.

I wasn't planning to go past the gate this time. 

I had just walked down to the construction fence two weeks or so earlier.

I'm sure there wasn't anything new to see.

But, I also stopped and thought that my days of being able to walk up to the construction fence might be numbered.

Surely at some point, they're going to put some kind of bigger fence and gate up at the Fort border.

God forbid if one of us filthy campers were to sneak our way into their lazy river.  They're probably going to need some barbed wire.  And maybe even electrify it too for good measure.

So, since I was here, and really didn't have anything better to do, I squeezed through the opening there by the gate, and headed on.

This time, I decided that maybe I would stay on this side of the canal, and walk along the cart path:

419_zpsbf445feb.jpg

While that big building looks done on the outside, I'm sure they have a long way to go with the interior.  Also, there is still a lot of construction going on at ground level.  You can see a couple of new buildings going up here:

422_zpsfb31e5a5.jpg

The block building that's closer to us must be some kind of recreation or food service building that will be serving the pool area.  There's a larger building behind it that looks like it might be like a clubhouse of some kind:

424_zpsa7eb6b0d.jpg

If you look at the top of the big building, over to the right, you can see that they have a lift system there on the roof- those big cranes that have been here for two years are finally gone.  In this photo, you can also see all of the construction going on at ground level:

425_zpse1db8f72.jpg

The plans and drawings I've seen indicate that there's going to be a small lake between the big building and the canal.  The building we see here is going to be a waterfront restaurant- the water isn't there yet:

426_zps8ee00ff7.jpg

I can't figure out what that tall building in the back might be- I can see that there is a path or maybe a ramp leading up to it, which is lined with columns, and palm trees:

431_zpsa18b6b18.jpg

Take a closer look:

fourseasonspool_zps18108752.jpg

Whatever it is, it has a fancy entryway.

Another look at the less fancy block building:

431_zpsa18b6b18.jpg

There really wasn't much more for me to see, so I headed back.

I stopped on the bridge to take this photo:

434_zpsfa9a8404.jpg

I stood there for a while and realized how quiet and peaceful it was.

It was morning on January 1st.

A holiday.

Nobody was over there doing any work.

If I can find a way back here next year, imagine how different it will be.

That place will be crawling with guests.

There will be people on those balconies.  And probably kids screaming in the pool and floating around the lazy river.  Way up on the roof level, there will be guests sipping on mimosas and nibbling on brunch.   It won't be quiet and peaceful.

Change is in the wind.

I figured it was time to head back.

But then I thought of something that I've always said I wanted to do.

But have never done.

This might be my last chance to do it.

So I decided to take a walk to an area I've seen but never visited before.

And that's what I did next.

And, boy am I glad I did.

I confirmed a rumor that has been discussed here recently.

And I saw something that I've never seen before, and will never forget.

And I have photos of all of that to share.

I'll need to stop this update here, because I'll need space for the photo limit for the next update.

TCD