Another Auld Lang Syne: The TCD Gang Rings in 2014 @ The Fort!

TCD,

I made it on page three!! That may be a record for me!!

Love the parade pics!

I will miss the garland across Main Street. Our first time seeing all of the Christmas stuff was way back in 2002 and I still remember walking out from under the train station and being in awe of how beautiful Main Street was with the garland. I am bummed that the garland is going away......

Looking forward to the next update!

Heidi

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yay another report!   War Eagle!!!    I have never seen the garland in person so bummer.  But it also irks me a little that it blocks the view of the castle.   I was in the night time parade when I wa

OOPS....My bad it's a case of fat fingers on an 8" screen... Didn't see it until you mentioned it. That is one thing that we need is a way to correct those.

The CM with Hullahoop is Barbara. She is a legend among anyone who has worked MS. She is Walt reincarnated as a woman. She is a blast to work with and always has a smile on her face and dances around.

Yay another report!

War Eagle!!! 

I have never seen the garland in person so bummer.  But it also irks me a little that it blocks the view of the castle.

I was in the night time parade when I was 16 in the high school marching band.  I have no idea what parade it was then.  (1996)  It was really really fun.  We got to line up back stage and see characters not completely ready for show.  And we got to make fun of the other band that was in the parade.  Fun times.  :)

Yay another report!

War Eagle!!! 

I have never seen the garland in person so bummer.  But it also irks me a little that it blocks the view of the castle.

I was in the night time parade when I was 16 in the high school marching band.  I have no idea what parade it was then.  (1996)  It was really really fun.  We got to line up back stage and see characters not completely ready for show.  And we got to make fun of the other band that was in the parade.  Fun times.  :)

Sad that someone gave this post a down arrow.  It was my understanding that down arrows are reserved for spam.  I gave it an up arrow to restore it to neutral.

Sad that someone gave this post a down arrow.  It was my understanding that down arrows are reserved for spam.  I gave it an up arrow to restore it to neutral.

OOPS....My bad it's a case of fat fingers on an 8" screen... Didn't see it until you mentioned it. That is one thing that we need is a way to correct those.

Sad that someone gave this post a down arrow. It was my understanding that down arrows are reserved for spam. I gave it an up arrow to restore it to neutral.

What are the up and down arrows? I've seen it mentioned on here before but I don't see any arrows. Is it because I am on an iPad? What do they mean? Thx!

Oh, and I like the new reindeer better too. But not as much as the gingerbread men with their flat heads.

:rofl2:  I was wondering the same thing.

The parade sure looks different in the daytime.  Think I like it better at night.

I think you're right about the parade.  It was designed to be performed at night.  It loses something being performed on a sunny day.  I think that's probably why they don't even thing about performing the Halloween parade in the daylight.  It just wouldn't work.

Fixed your statement. And the answer is YES. I cant work with Snow anymore. Brings up too many memories.

Wow.  I'll have to hear that story from you some time.  Got to watch those Wild Womenz.

I am so sad to hear about the garland.  That was one of my favorite things about MK at Christmas, and I haven't been able to see it in person for many years.  I always noticed that first thing.

Oh, well.  At least I have all of the great photos on here, as well as my own from years past.

Toy soldiers are my favorite too!  The reindeer (both versions) are creepy to me.  Something about 4-legged animals being depicted walking upright is unsettling to me.

Be sure and post another daytime photo of the fort tree, if you have one, so I can swipe it.  I got a night time shot but no daytime one this year.  I always plop my boys on that fence and take one.  Maybe I can photoshop them into yours.

I think I must have some more Fort Christmas tree photos.  I knew it would be coming down during our visit, so I tried to get as many photos of it and the other decorations as I could.

As you know, the evil elves arrived the night of the 1st, and by the morning of the 2nd every Disney decoration at the Fort was gone.

TCD,

I made it on page three!! That may be a record for me!!

Love the parade pics!

I will miss the garland across Main Street. Our first time seeing all of the Christmas stuff was way back in 2002 and I still remember walking out from under the train station and being in awe of how beautiful Main Street was with the garland. I am bummed that the garland is going away......

Looking forward to the next update!

Heidi

Wow, page 3!

One of these days, you're going to get First Page!

I'm going to miss the garland too. 

I guess most guests won't even notice.  I'm sure that's what Disney's counting on.

Yay another report!

War Eagle!!! 

I've heard people complain about the view of the castle being blocked too, and I get that.  Still, I like the garland.  I think it really enhances Main Street.  Especially when the break out the fake snow.

I can imagine that getting to perform at WDW is a thrill for any band.  I guess that's why they had three bands.  The demand must be there.

I am part of the page 3 Cool Kids Club!

Yup.  Good job.

Don't care what page, I'm here.

Now, that's the spirit!

It doesn't matter what page you join us.

You hear that all you lurkers?

I gave out a few up arrows just because.

Whoops.

It has happened to me too.  Not a big deal, I guess.  It's all fixed now.

TCD

I'm with Shannon. I like the new reindeer better.

What are the up and down arrows? I've seen it mentioned on here before but I don't see any arrows. Is it because I am on an iPad? What do they mean? Thx!

Oh, and I like the new reindeer better too. But not as much as the gingerbread men with their flat heads.

Those poor old reindeer.

I'm the only one who misses them.

So sad.

I often share with my kids how the Epcot Food and Wine Festival used to have more exotic offerings.  One thing I distinctly remember from way back is that they served reindeer stew in Norway.  If that is back on the menu this year, I hope y'all are happy.

TCD

Maybe I'm behind but with the garland disappearing does this mean there will be a new parade or some new floats added? I did notice at the taping of the Disney Christmas parade the garland was down

Maybe I'm behind but with the garland disappearing does this mean there will be a new parade or some new floats added? I did notice at the taping of the Disney Christmas parade the garland was down

They pull the garland down for the parade taping as I'm guessing it interferes with camera angles and all that. The big tree doesn't go up until after the parade taping either.

Update time.

We left off with me heading out of the MK after the parade.  The girls were going to stay and enjoy some of the attractions, and I was heading back to the Fort to enjoy setting up the camper.

You might think that transportation would be a problem what with it being so busy and all, but if you thought that, you'd be wrong.

For some reason, we have the best luck when it comes to transportation at Disney World.

The last photo I posted in the previous update was one of the crowd in front of me as I exited the park.  I took that photo at 3:56 pm.

I took this one at 4:09 as I watched the Fort boat pulling up to the dock:

090_zps6bdfd7a3.jpg

The boat docked, let off its guests, and then we loaded, and pulled out.  Bam:

091_zps8eada592.jpg

I think there's a monorail in this shot, but the sun was shining so brightly that you can't see it.  Remember those clouds when we arrived?  They never came back that day:

092_zpsf1a04eb4.jpg

I don't like the new look of the Contemporary Resort from here.  All those brown bus stop roofs bug me:

093_zps267962b8.jpg

I guess those bus stops are needed, but they fly in the face of the original vision of the Magic Kingdom.  Did you ever stop to think how much trouble they went to to dig the Seven Seas Lagoon, and set things up so the parking area of the MK was remote from the park.  Walt wanted it that way.  It is part of the illusion and the experience.  Having a hundred generic bus stops sitting right outside the MK gates would never have flown with Walt.  When they unfreeze his head and he sees these, I'm predicting that someone is going to get a serious talking to.

A look back at the MK- do you see the Christmas Tree peeking over the top of the Train Station?:

094_zpse31defee.jpg

Another shot of all the ugly new bus stops.  Not cool:

095_zpsad54753c.jpg

I'll bet that it's cold wherever you are today.  These photos were taken just last week, and it was a warm and sunny afternoon.  There were tons of guests out on the water enjoying those little rental boats:

096_zpsd7be0d5d.jpg

You can see the Contemporary Christmas tree in this photo:

097_zps56b0dcaf.jpg

You want to hear something sad?  I never made it to the Contemporary Resort on this trip.  We just never had the time.  Too bad, too.  I like their Christmas decorations.  I'll make sure that I get there next year to see them.

The water bridge.  I just noticed on one of my recent trips that there's a walkway here on the bridge.  I have duly noted that- I would like to walk across that walkway:

098_zps6e8e5eb7.jpg

The monorail:

099_zpsd57c0e8d.jpg

Hey.

I just realized something else.

I don't think we rode the monorail once on this trip either.

That is also unlike us.

I guess we were focused on dodging crowds.

The boat fleet was in full operation mode today.  They had the boats going to both the Lodge and the Fort, so that wasn't great, but at least they had a lot of boats our and running. Another boat was pulling up to the MK dock as we left, and here you can see one heading from the Fort to the MK:

100_zps90a5778e.jpg

A couple Discovery Island shots.  It is getting harder and harder to see the old shipwreck.  It's to the right of the white pole:

101_zps8d1ad129.jpg

102_zpsfd73efa7.jpg

When I got back to the Fort, I got back to the site, and popped up the camper and got things squared away.  I also paid a visit to the Meadow Trading Post to pick up a cable converter box.  I found out that they were all out.  And I had to go on a waiting list with about ten names in front of me.  Not good. I only brought my little old TV,  and I was hoping to watch at least portions of some of the bowl games that would be played over the next few days.  The CM who put me on the list pointed out that there would be a lot of turnover on the 31st as guests who arrived on Christmas Eve would be clearing out after a week's stay.  So, I had some hope that I'd get the box in time.

I was just about done setting up when the girls texted to let me know they were on the boat back.

I headed down to the marina and got them.

And we looped.

And looped some more.

It was dark by then, so no photos.

Sorry.

When dinner time rolled around, we headed down to Trail's End for the usual.

We ran in to Total Joker and TiggerinBama there.

They said Jason and Sil were going to be showing up too.

We toured the horse barn while we waited for our GAG.

Then headed back to camp to eat it.

After that, there was more looping.

Here's Twin #1 in front of the Fort Christmas Tree:

104_zps89c3df52.jpg

We intentionally hung around the Fort for a while that night.

The MK was open until 1 am, and then had EMH's until 3.  And, they would be shooting off the NYE fireworks show at midnight.  We planned to be there for that and to shut the park down.

While at the MK that afternoon, the girls had carefully gathered some paper FP's using some old KTTW cards, and they had moved our Space Mountain FP+ to the 10-11 slot so that we could ride it when we all came back.

So, around 9:30-ish, we made our way down to the boat.

We ran into Jason and Sil there, and they rode over with us.  I got to visit with them for as long as a MK boat ride takes.  When we got to the MK, we parted ways-they had some FP's to use, and we had others.  I did enjoy the brief visit, though.  Wish it could have been longer.

When we got to the MK, Main Street was pretty crowded.

The train was still running, and was just pulling up to the station.  We headed up there and hopped on.  We figured we would ride it back to the new Fantasyland station, and then take that walkway to Space Mountain.  As we looked for a seat, guess who we saw?

Jason and Sil.

Great minds and all.

We arrived at Space Mountain to find a very long FP return line.

And a standby time of 120 minutes.

Yowsah.

We got the FP line.

It was long, but it moved:

107_zps8bd0871c.jpg

The FP line didn't stop until we were on the ride.  That was good for us.  Bad for the poor guests in the stand-by line.

When I sat in my rocket, I found an abandoned head band.  I used it for my ride photo- Twin #1 and I are doing the Gator Chomp.  The oldest TCD DD is hiding her face in shame:

110_zps8406a040.jpg

Twin #2 did the Chop all by herself:

111_zps4da5f089.jpg

I guess those kids in that rocket with her also know where the camera is.

More on that later.

After Space, it was near 11.

We figured we ought to find a spot for the fireworks.  They said those would be starting at 11:50.

We headed across the Tomorrowland bridge toward the hub.  It was crowded.

We decided to give one of our secret spots a try.  We headed down a walkway from the bridge, past the old Swan Boat dock, and ended up along the fence in the area that I believe is called the rose garden.  This is the view from there:

112_zpsc4e791d1.jpg

There's an elevated flower bed here that some guests sit on.  We were too late to get a seat there, so we found a spot in front of it, and would kneel there so we wouldn't block the view of the guests behind us who had staked out their spots earlier.  We had watched the 4th of July fireworks show from here back in July, and it ended up being a good spot.

As we waited, several CM's walked through the area, making sure that the walkway wasn't blocked.  It wasn't. 

We didn't know that they were going to show the Magic, the Memories and You show before the fireworks, but they did,   It included the new Frozen scenes and music, as well as the special holiday scenes.  After that, the lights came on briefly, and they announced the fireworks would begin in 5 minutes.  Just after that announcement was made, two young CM's came though and told everyone in the area that they had to move because this was a fire hazard.  What the Fort?  Guests had been in place here for over an hour, and the fireworks were just about to begin.  There was nowhere that we could have gone even if we wanted to.  Plus, CM's had already walked through this area several times, and we had watched fireworks from this exact spot in the past.  Several guests told the CM's that they would not move. I didn't say anything.  The CM's stood there and said we needed to move.  Some people did.  But most didn't.  We didn't.  The CM said he would get "Security," someone said go ahead.  Then the CM's left.  And the fireworks began.  That wasn't very magical.

But the fireworks were:

116_zps95ea7a7e.jpg

130_zps83b95c7e.jpg

I don't possess the photography skills to even begin to share how awesome these fireworks are.  This is a shot trying to show the perimeter fireworks.  We were in a great spot to enjoy these:

131_zpsb249d799.jpg

After the fireworks, we headed toward the castle. They had a DJ there, and they were doing the whole deal as if tonight was really the 31st.  You can see that they have 2014 projected up on the castle, even though it was sill a day away:

133_zps5419dd2d.jpg

The DJ kept on saying happy 2014 and such things- I guess he was going off of the script he would be following the next night:

137_zpsfb228fd4.jpg

I love the Dream Lights:

147_zps0dfcb30e.jpg

The girls stayed a while and danced to the hits of 2013.  I guess it wasn't the best year for music.

Then we had some Big Thunder FP's to use.

We headed that way.

We were surprised to find another DJ in Frontierland.  I hadn't seen any mention of that on the times guide.  But there he was, way up on a platform right next to the Country Bears:

152_zps785bc6c6.jpg

When he played the Cha Cha Slide, the girls had to join in.

We finally made it to Big Thunder.

And then we hit up Pirates.

The park was still pretty crowded, and we were out of FP's.

We walked on the Little Mermaid.

The posted stand-by time said 20 minutes, but we walked straight through the queue and got right on.

We heard the DJ mention something about snow on Main Street, so we had to go and see that:

165_zpsc04dfbd8.jpg

I know that some of you are buried in it at the moment, but here's a fun fact- the TCD twins have never seen real snow:

178_zps2d33998b.jpg

The Main Street clock says it's 1:40 am, which means we still have a hour and twenty minutes to go:

180_zpsacb6dcd3.jpg

But, we knew we were coming back tomorrow for the real deal.

So, we decided to keep on going:

181_zps0db42c55.jpg

Oy vey:

185_zpsd402e7e6.jpg

That's all I have from our first day and night.

Which is convenient, because we're at the photo limit.

But don't worry- tomorrow is New Year's Eve, and we will be going hard from sunrise on.  There are plenty more photos to come.

TCD

I can't recite all the details, but from what I understand, they will be introducing a brand new afternoon parade some time this spring.  It is going to have new floats, and will replace the current 3:00 parade.  I guess those new floats are going to be taller than the old ones, and will not be able to pass under the garland.

I didn't notice the garland was down for the parade taping- but now that you mention it- it was.

I guess it's not a huge deal. It's just that I like that garland, and I will miss it.

We will find you.  You should be afraid.  Marty might be with us.  She is unpredictable...

I think Dave already is very afraid.  The poor guy is probably losing sleep over this.

They pull the garland down for the parade taping as I'm guessing it interferes with camera angles and all that. The big tree doesn't go up until after the parade taping either.

I knew that the tree doesn't go up until after the taping, but never thought about the garland.  I think the garland gets put up with the other decorations, so they must have to take it down and put it back up just for the taping. I guess they will be happy to not have to do that anymore.

That's Barbara. Barbara is AWESOME. We met her in October ... wrote a letter singing her praises as soon as we got home. :)

Until this trip, I never knew about Barbara, but it looks like she's been around for a couple of years, at least.

The next time I see her, I'm going to speak to her and maybe get a photo. I agree-she is awesome.

TCD

Great update!

I can't believe you put a random headband on. LOL!

And next time you go to the Contemporary, you need to get the turkey and brie sandwich.

I know.

The girls scolded me for dong that- said I could get lice.  My head itched the rest of the night.  LOL. They have more sense than the old man.

But, as far as I know, I dodged that bullet.

I am going to have one of those turkey and brie sandwiches, don't you worry.

TCD

Good job, Harold.

Did y'all get over to the Fort at all over Christmas/New Year's?

TCD

No we didn't. We had 2 trips planed but both got cancelled by family being sick with colds.  WIMPS   Almost went by myself by decided to stay home and live to make another trip.

Ewwwwwww!!!  You put a nasty used headband that you found on the floor of a ride on your head?  Who knows who may have worn it prior, and then it may well have been SAT on numerous times that day by folks with sweaty butts.  EWW EWW EWW.    

But, you bada** rebel behavior refusing to do what the CM's said pre-fireworks redeems you.  A bit.  Dolts!  If they don't want anyone there, then rope it off!

Great update!  Love the nighttime shots.

I am always amazed at how much you see/do while there.  I couldn't go until 2am and then be back up at sunrise.

Thanks.

I don't get much sleep at the Fort.

The plan was to take some naps.

But, that didn't happen.

No we didn't. We had 2 trips planed but both got cancelled by family being sick with colds.  WIMPS   Almost went by myself by decided to stay home and live to make another trip.

Too bad.  But, I guess it's good that you lived to make another trip.

Ewwwwwww!!!  You put a nasty used headband that you found on the floor of a ride on your head?  Who knows who may have worn it prior, and then it may well have been SAT on numerous times that day by folks with sweaty butts.  EWW EWW EWW.    

But, you bada** rebel behavior refusing to do what the CM's said pre-fireworks redeems you.  A bit.  Dolts!  If they don't want anyone there, then rope it off!

I know.  I'll do anything for a laugh.  That was very bad judgment on my part.  And not a good example.  Fortunately, my girls know better.

I normally do what the CM's ask, but expecting guests to move just a couple of minutes before the fireworks, after other CM's had walked through the area and said nothing, was too much.  I really think these two were told to do something and ended up in the wrong place.  I fell bad for the people who did move, and it definitely put a damper on things.  But, it ended up being fine.

TCD

The next time I see her, I'm going to speak to her and maybe get a photo. I agree-she is awesome.

TCD

we hadn't heard of her either, but I can certainly see why she is so popular. In addition to being entertaining, she is terribly kind and helpful. my teenage son & I wanted to catch the 3pm parade ... it was right at 3pm, so we knew our best chance to get a decent spot would be up near City Hall & the Fire Dept. There's a spot taped off, but isn't roped off until the last minute so it can be used for foot traffic. Barbara let us know of the opening & encouraged us to wait. (which we did) But before letting us fill in, she made sure the family with a wheelchair she had waiting in the shade had their spot. Barbara was amazing with that family. My son & I were blown away. 

Magic at its finest :)

The twins have never seen snow?

I'll have to tell CP, she'll be happy to hear that. She never saw real snow until last year when I yook her skiing.

It was hard for me to believe but she grew up in Florida and her parents always took beach or cruise vacations. I'm guessing your family was the same way.

I grew up in Louisiana with no snow but my family loved to go to the mountains and ski.

Great report!

WBI

we hadn't heard of her either, but I can certainly see why she is so popular. In addition to being entertaining, she is terribly kind and helpful. my teenage son & I wanted to catch the 3pm parade ... it was right at 3pm, so we knew our best chance to get a decent spot would be up near City Hall & the Fire Dept. There's a spot taped off, but isn't roped off until the last minute so it can be used for foot traffic. Barbara let us know of the opening & encouraged us to wait. (which we did) But before letting us fill in, she made sure the family with a wheelchair she had waiting in the shade had their spot. Barbara was amazing with that family. My son & I were blown away. 

Magic at its finest :)

I love hearing this.  While we were waiting for the parade, she was hula hooping in the street, and invited a little boy out to hula hoop.  He tried, but couldn't. She still made a big fuss over him and asked for applause from those waiting for the parade.  She's just a nice lady.

The twins have never seen snow?

I'll have to tell CP, she'll be happy to hear that. She never saw real snow until last year when I yook her skiing.

It was hard for me to believe but she grew up in Florida and her parents always took beach or cruise vacations. I'm guessing your family was the same way.

I grew up in Louisiana with no snow but my family loved to go to the mountains and ski.

Great report!

WBI

Yup, that's it.

I saw plenty of snow growing up, and Mrs. TCD and I took a few ski trips before the kids were born.  She's a Florida native, but her family used to take ski trips.  But she hates the cold.

So, as we raised our family, we did discuss ski trips, but after crunching numbers, a trip to Disney, a cruise, or the beach always won.  Neither one of us felt like dropping big bucks to go someplace to freeze.

I feel a little bad about it, but maybe they can go skiing with their fiancées/husbands like the Camping Princess!

TCD