Another Auld Lang Syne: The TCD Gang Rings in 2014 @ The Fort!

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yay another report!   War Eagle!!!    I have never seen the garland in person so bummer.  But it also irks me a little that it blocks the view of the castle.   I was in the night time parade when I wa

OOPS....My bad it's a case of fat fingers on an 8" screen... Didn't see it until you mentioned it. That is one thing that we need is a way to correct those.

The CM with Hullahoop is Barbara. She is a legend among anyone who has worked MS. She is Walt reincarnated as a woman. She is a blast to work with and always has a smile on her face and dances around.

I'm glad you had time for a trip for New Year's Eve! The weather was mostly good. We looped on 2000 and I know what you mean about the party tents and wild kids. We thought about requesting a move because of our neighbors, but we stuck it out. That's great that you got upgraded, and to such a nice site!

Nice work to all those who earned First Page Bragging Rights!

Well done!

I am in. I was checking your pics to see if you caught us heading over to the Fort. I don't see us in them though. It was nice to finally meet you. 

I know- I was wondering if you and Sil were going to be getting off that MK boat.

I should have mentioned that you and I had texted back and forth, and that you decided to leave the MK because it was so packed.  I think we hit it at the right time- them not letting new guests in for a while helped to cut down on the Main Street crowds.

It was great to meet you and Sil too.  You're going to get a mention when we get to that part.

Second poster bragging rights!

Yes indeed.  Very good!

did I make page 1? ???

You sure did, and you were the third poster!

Page 1 hopefully.

You made it with room to spare.

Did I get page 1?

Yes, by a mile.

Wow another report!

Thanks TCD I'm looking forward to reading it, I don't know when we'll be getting back so I'll live vicariously through your reports.

WBI

Hey, it's Nick!

Great to see a post from you.

Please don't go away- I'm going to need your input in just a bit.

There is some crazy stuff going on at the dam.  Wait till you see it.  For the life of me, I can't figure out what they're trying to do.  I'm hoping you might have some ideas.  Otherwise, I'm really tempted to give up and just go along with DIT's Top Secret Iranian Nuclear Installation Theory.

Has the wannabe baby arrived yet?!?

Wannabe baby?

Good one!

Did I make page one?? I'm so excited, mark this date!!!

OK, it's marked.

Is this your first time with FPBR on a TCD TR?

That is quite a milestone.

Congratulations.

Page one even though i have been outside half the day.....

Naughty boy.

You took three first page spots.

You are on the top of the naughty list.

And, I hate to break it to you, but Santa is along for this TR.

I think you should buy yourself a coal burning stove so you're ready for all that coal you'll be getting next Christmas.

Happy New Year!

Did you notice in one of your subsequent traffic photos, the "hammerhead" (hilarious, btw) had only jumped a couple of spots ahead of you by breaking the law?  I think I saw him a few days later on 95…..or several of his relatives, the morons.

You were very wise not to take 2054.  Even my kids noticed how many tents, vehicles, golf carts, and people were crammed onto 2056.  And they were loud.

Happy New Year to you too!

I am glad we ran into each other before I left the Fort.  Congratulations on the new trailer!

Good catch on the hammerhead.  Also, the guy pulling the U-Haul moved around quite a bit.  I did too, but I was just trying to get over to the right, since I was heading to the Fort.

Yeah, those folks in 2056 had a good old time.  I forgot to mention how they had red solo cups clipped to clotheslines strung around their campsite.  I don't know what that was all about.  And, I'm glad I wasn't right next to them so I could find out.

I am glad that I took the time to go back up front and demand another site.  But, the Fort manager on duty was a chicken.  Rather than come out and talk to me, he/she just told the CM to upgrade me. Some other poor soul got that site, and had to camp next to that.  I'm going to remember that.  I've had bad feelings about campsite neighbors in the past that turned out to be well-founded.  For the money they charge, there's no way I'm going to accept a crappy site ever again.  The sad thing is that management did not deal with the rude campers.

TCD

Oh right page one!!!!!!!!!

Nice job, Rennie.

You're going to get a shout-out later in this report too, since I got to meet you for 3 seconds or so on the Fort beach on NYE.

Sorry we didn't get to visit.

I'm in

Good job, Harold.

Did y'all get over to the Fort at all over Christmas/New Year's?

Here

Very good- getting in under the wire for FPBR.

Yay! Another one!

Yup.

Another one!

Hi

Hi.

The CM with Hullahoop is Barbara. She is a legend among anyone who has worked MS. She is Walt reincarnated as a woman. She is a blast to work with and always has a smile on her face and dances around.

You can find her driving the MS vehicles, working the crowd prior to parades, and even dancing down the street before and after the parades.

Oh, and, Page 1?

Yup, you just made it onto page one!

Thanks for the info on Barbara.

I had never seen her in action before.  The twins mentioned that they had seen something about her on the Disney Parks Blog, but I didn't know how to find it.

Here too!

Woo Hoo!

Last spot on page one.

And bonus points for reading and posting from the Fort!

Great link!

Thanks, Dave.

If anyone hasn't looked at the video, please do.

TCD Twin #1 met Gary Buchanan at some kind of conference, and has decided that she will be taking over his job at some point. 

I love Gary's dance skillz.  He's almost as good as me.

I'm not reading this TR. I was there and I know what happens.

Just call me Lou Jr.

No please don't call me that.

Ray (not Lou Jr.), I know that you were around WDW while I was there.  Sorry that we didn't get to meet.  We've come close a couple of times now.

Next time!

I was trying to find that video. Good job. They show it as part of the new Magic Express video features.

I didn't know they showed these kinds of videos on the Magic Express.

That's cool.  Good for Barbara.  The next time I see her, I'm going to thank her for her enthusiasm.

TCD

He has, thanks for asking!  I just posted some pictures!

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/11840-meet-prince-william-wbi-is-a-proud-father/?p=326731

Congratulations to you too!  You had a new baby girl didn't you?  Congrats!!

WBI

I did! Some pics in here! http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/11601-the-newest-fiend-is-here/

I was going to say maybe our kids could be pals until I saw your Go Saints! Eagles fan here lol

Hey, it's a Fiend Baby Boom!

Awesome.

LOL at the Saints/Eagles hate.

Somehow, y'all need to work through that issue.  I am voting for the first Fiend arranged marriage.  That would be awesome!

And congratulations to you both!

Wasn't I nice to let others get FPBR this time?

Now, can TCD finish this TR before I leave for WWW?

Yes, very nice.

You might have made it if it wasn't for that naughty Aaron.

When do you leave for WWW?

Enjoyed the video of Barbara dancing.  I love it when the CM's get into the spirit of Disney.  We were there on the 30th but did not see the parade that day or Barbara.   We are home now and missing Disney already.

Hey, it's Judy!

I only made it around the 1400 loop a couple of times this trip, and y'all weren't there.

I didn't know you were in the MK on the 30th.

Maybe you'll be in one of my photos?

Sorry that you had to go home.  But everyone has to, eventually.

Page two is good enough for me...

Yay, Shannon can come out to play!

Glad to see you made it through another Christmas season.

Thanks for reading and posting!

I'm glad you had time for a trip for New Year's Eve! The weather was mostly good. We looped on 2000 and I know what you mean about the party tents and wild kids. We thought about requesting a move because of our neighbors, but we stuck it out. That's great that you got upgraded, and to such a nice site!

I'm glad to you stopped by to say hello, and that y'all had a nice trip too.

That was a nice site, but it had some unique issues, which I will get to in due time.

Still, we all agreed that we were much happier there than we would have been on 2000.

I'm here.  Page 2 isn't bad!

Glad that you're here!

And you're right.

Nothing wrong with page 2.

Man, page 2... I have no excuse.

Hey, you beat DIT.

I hope he's OK.

You do have an excuse:

Aaron.

TCD

I'm a slacker....page 2. I'll settle for that :). Awesome start to hopefully a great trip. We never enter the fort via the MK gate. Just because of people asking a million questions at the booth and the large speedbump that whips the trailer up and down on the far right lane. We always get off I4 at the Epcot exit then get off at the port Orleans exit and enter the fort through vista drive. I know I'm missing the magic of the MK gate but it's worth it for us

I think DAve said he was traveling for business yesterday

That's the lamest excuse ever.

DIT better hurry, or he's not even going to make page 2.

Page 2 bragg... well, shucks. Page two something anyway. Carry on.

Nothing wrong with page 2.

You made it.

Will Dave?

I'm a slacker....page 2. I'll settle for that :). Awesome start to hopefully a great trip. We never enter the fort via the MK gate. Just because of people asking a million questions at the booth and the large speedbump that whips the trailer up and down on the far right lane. We always get off I4 at the Epcot exit then get off at the port Orleans exit and enter the fort through vista drive. I know I'm missing the magic of the MK gate but it's worth it for us

I don't know why I don't do that too.  That's how I always leave.

Had I known the gates would be backed up like they were I would have.

But, even after as many times as we've been through those gates, there's still something special about beginning a trip by arriving that way.

TCD

Alright, let's get back at it.

We have a long way to go on this one, and we need to get moving.

So, it's still the afternoon of December 30th, our arrival day.

We had a place on Main Street and enjoyed some hot dogs from Casey's.

It was warm and sunny, but we were in the shade.

We got to people watch, and Barbara dance.

Nice.

I didn't mention this in the last post, as it's a longish story, but I need to mention it here, because it may be important to someone.  Remember how I had just purchased a new pass for my oldest DD?  And how we had to get the pass linked to her MagicBand?  We all gave that a try as we sat there waiting for the parade.  Me not being able to figure out how to do it on the App is understandable.  But, my DD's have grown up using computers, and iPhones, and they are adept at such things.  We got the pass linked to her MB, but we couldn't get her to synch with our FP+'s.  We had time, so I figured I would go find one of the kiosks and get some help.  The CM's they have on duty at the kiosks are actually very well trained and helpful.  At least that has been my experience.  There was a CM standing on Main Street who looked helpful, so I asked her.  I asked her where the nearest place was that I could get some MB help.  She told me to go to the theater near the park entrance.  Not city hall.  The theater, where you meet talking Mickey.  She was very clear on that.  So, I went.  There was a CM right inside the door there, and some of those posts and ropes set up, and a bunch of CM's at a counter with iPads helping guests with what I assume were MB issues.  They all were busy at the time, but there was no one in line.  The CM at the line entrance asked why I was there, and I told her.  She said I needed to go across to City Hall for what I was trying to do.  I asked if she was sure- these people with the iPads looked like they were who I needed to see.  Nope, she said, City Hall was where I needed to go.  So, I crossed over to there.  There was a line out the door there.  And, in my experience, the folks who are coming here are not generally in a great mood.  I kind of wasn't either, because I had a feeling that I was getting the run-around.  I stood and waited.  And waited some more.  The line was not moving.  Finally, one of the plaid vest types came out and started asking guests in line what they were there for.  As is to be expected, some people were in the wrong line, and he sent them to where they needed to go.  Others were in the right line, and he told them to sit tight.  When he got to me, I told him why I was there.  He told me that I needed to go across to the theater for that.  I told him I had just been there, and was sent here.  He said, oh, they must have had a long line.  I told him no-there was no line.  He said I ought to go back.  It kind of irks me when CM's act like I'm and idiot- I guess they see a lot of idiots all day, and assume that every guest is stupid.  But, I'm not.  I then asked him point blank if he could help me.  I guess he took pity on me, because he said yes.  He pulled me out of line, and we went to an empty station at the counter.  He took the pass and MB and looked up some information.  He was able to see the FP+'s that we had already reserved for our trip, and then he said he would add my DD to them.  I asked if she would be officially linked with us, so we could make changes for her if needed. He said yes.  It took like 10 seconds to do that.  But, there was no clear way that we could find to do it on the App.  Anyway, I accomplished what I came to do.  Only, it shouldn't have been that hard.  And, later in the trip, some of my oldest DD's FP+'s disappeared.  We were able to add them back, but the system is still wonky.

I guess my point in sharing that is that if you have a problem with your MB's, find a plaid vest CM at City Hall in the MK.  They can fix stuff very easily.

So, with that done, let's enjoy the parade.

For about ten days or so after the last Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, they perform the special parade that is performed exclusively during that party during regular operating hours at the MK.  It's nice of them to do that.  They don't perform the special Halloween parade from the Halloween parties during normal park hours, but they do perform the Christmas parade.  We got to see it last year, and loved it, and were hoping to see it again this year.  In fact, it's probably the main reason we booked it over to the MK this afternoon and sat on Main Street for over an hour.

The parade begins with a bunch of characters:

039_zpsb97de1f5.jpg

We had a good spot- the characters do little choreographed performances, and we were at a spot where they would stop and do that:

040_zps828b551e.jpg

Peter and Wendy were all bundled up- but it was pushing 80 degrees.  A lot of the parade performers were sweating:

041_zpsdb62ecaa.jpg

This year's Christopher Robin was not nearly as creepy as last year's:

043_zps3747d7ae.jpg

Piglet was in front of us, but Mary Poppins stopped in front of that lady who was sleeping next to the trash can across the street-Mary must have poked her with her umbrella, because she woke up:

044_zps0869251c.jpg

We didn't get Bert either, just the penguins:

045_zps7f0f2049.jpg

Mickey and Minnie. Duffy there on the float moved.  I don't remember him doing that last year.  Also, you see that garland strung across Main Street?  There is a rumor that they won't be stringing the garland next year because of new parade floats which will be too tall to pass under it.  I hope that rumor isn't true- I like the garland:

047_zpsfef59c8c.jpg

Some friendly rollerbladers:

048_zps1e504364.jpg

I used to snap photos of iPad photographers, but I don't anymore.  There are too many of them.  Tablet photography is officially a thing:

049_zps0e5aab3c.jpg

The Ducks:

050_zps9fce8cfa.jpg

Faux skiers:

052_zps1fd4115a.jpg

The Chipmunks:

053_zps895ea779.jpg

It seemed to me that the dwarfs spent more time dancing than they have in the past.  I guess they are going to be getting more face time to promote their new ride:

057_zpsd606bc72.jpg

058_zpsc28d8ee5.jpg

I tried to get a photo of the Apple Munching Whack Job for DIT, but she ducked behind a Christmas tree on her float:

059_zpsc9ea338c.jpg

The princess float is pretty tall, and it passed under the garland fine.  I'm not sure they need floats higher than this one-hopefully that garland rumor is false:

062_zps5a08d8f1.jpg

Goofy riding the contraption he rides in every special parade.  Sometimes this thing makes Halloween candy, sometimes Christmas:

067_zpsa6b9cc7f.jpg

Clarabelle Cow and Horace Horsecollar.  Nobody knows who they are:

068_zps5551a62d.jpg

The bakers.  I think they ought to be holding I hate Starbucks signs:

070_zps5697c81f.jpg

Bo Peep.  Why does she look so plastic, while Woody, Jessie and Buzz don't?  A little creepy if you ask me:

076_zps2f001626.jpg

Woody:

077_zpsaa5dfb3a.jpg

I love the Toy Soldiers- definitely one of my favorite parts of the parade:

078_zps0b51b0b5.jpg

079_zps5ebd11e1.jpg

Next came another favorite part of mine- the reindeer:

080_zpsc7acf423.jpg

081_zps12ffd427.jpg

Wait.

What the Fort is going on here?

Who the heck are these guys?

Here are  a couple of my reindeer photos from last year:

122212154_zpsa87ec1cf.jpg

122212157_zpse1bd6b43.jpg

What are they trying to pull?

Who are these imposters?

The parade finishes up with the Big Guy.  But this Big Guy was annoying.  He had a mic, and was asking the crowd to give it up for the reindeer.  What?  Since when is Santa some kind of corny DJ?:

086_zps18687513.jpg

The end:

088_zpsd4dd84bc.jpg

We all commented that the parade seemed shorter than we remembered.

Something was missing.

But none of us could think of what.

It came to us that night.

We had ordered our take out dinner from Trail's End, and wandered around the horse barn while we waited for our buzzer to go off.

Twin #1 remembered first.

Ponies!

Cinderella's coach and the ponies are usually in the parade.

But they weren't today.

And there's usually a horse drawn sleigh too.

What a rip off.

Oh well, you get what you pay for.

After the parade, the plan was for me to go back to the Fort, while the girls used some of the FP+'s and tried to gather some paper FP's we could use later.

I got to walk in the big crowd behind the parade:

089_zpsc149f74c.jpg

Next up, I catch a boat and head back to the Fort.

TCD

The new parade floats will have a higher stance giving everyone a good view of the parade, not just those on the curb in the front row. This is why the garland will not be up next year.

The ponies and Cindy's coach are reserved for the hard ticket parties. Gotta leave something special so people feel they get their monies worth. The parade they run during normal ops is a shortened version.  

Toy Soldiers = coolness

DJ Santa = horrendously stupid idea

Whoever made that decision should be fired.

When you're right, you're right.

The new parade floats will have a higher stance giving everyone a good view of the parade, not just those on the curb in the front row. This is why the garland will not be up next year.

The ponies and Cindy's coach are reserved for the hard ticket parties. Gotta leave something special so people feel they get their monies worth. The parade they run during normal ops is a shortened version.  

Dang, the rumor about the garland is true!  I'm going to miss that garland.  Oh well.

If they aren't including the ponies and horses in the daytime version of the Christmas parade this year, then that is a new development.  They were in the parade last year.  I even have pics:

122212088.jpg

122212099.jpg

The whole post is here: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/8695-bel13ve-in-magic-the-tcd-gang-rings-in-2013-at-the-fort/?p=233989

I like the new reindeer better. The old ones look mean; but I guess that's fitting, given the way they treated Rudolph.

I prefer the old reindeer.  But, I have to agree they weren't very nice to poor old Rudolph.  Never letting him play the reindeer games and all.

Didn't see the roller-skating snowflakes or the candy girls, either.

The candy girls are there.  You can see them behind Bo Beep. Those roller-skating snowflakes, though, I think you're right-they were AWOL too.

TCD

Leaving 1/15 for a night in Daytona before arriving at the Fort on 1/16. 

Can

Not

Wait!!!!

If you're leaving on the 15th, then my best guess is that this report isn't going to be near finished before you go. 

You'll have to finish reading when you get back.

Crap.

WWW is that weekend. I work everyday. 16th, 17th, 18th.............

Why Crap?

Are you afraid the Wild Womenz will harass you at work?

TCD

I am so sad to hear about the garland.  That was one of my favorite things about MK at Christmas, and I haven't been able to see it in person for many years.  I always noticed that first thing.

Oh, well.  At least I have all of the great photos on here, as well as my own from years past.

Toy soldiers are my favorite too!  The reindeer (both versions) are creepy to me.  Something about 4-legged animals being depicted walking upright is unsettling to me.

Be sure and post another daytime photo of the fort tree, if you have one, so I can swipe it.  I got a night time shot but no daytime one this year.  I always plop my boys on that fence and take one.  Maybe I can photoshop them into yours.