Another Auld Lang Syne: The TCD Gang Rings in 2014 @ The Fort!

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yay another report!   War Eagle!!!    I have never seen the garland in person so bummer.  But it also irks me a little that it blocks the view of the castle.   I was in the night time parade when I wa

OOPS....My bad it's a case of fat fingers on an 8" screen... Didn't see it until you mentioned it. That is one thing that we need is a way to correct those.

The CM with Hullahoop is Barbara. She is a legend among anyone who has worked MS. She is Walt reincarnated as a woman. She is a blast to work with and always has a smile on her face and dances around.

Twin#2's Gator chomp appears to be much more subdued....hmmm

LOL.

Have pity on the girl.

She started college at a school that lost just 2 games last year, and was ranked #10 preseason

Her twin's school wasn't in the top ten.

and her big sister's school wasn't even ranked.

Things sure didn't turn out the way she planned.  She did not enjoy the football experience she expected.

But, there's always next year.

TCD

So, as we raised our family, we did discuss ski trips, but after crunching numbers, a trip to Disney, a cruise, or the beach always won.  Neither one of us felt like dropping big bucks to go someplace to freeze.

Wise decision!  I would be happy if I never saw snow again.

TCD,

Another great update!

Makes me sad that the ship on Discovery Island is almost completely disappeared. I remember getting photos taken right in front of the ship, when I was a teenager and of my kids too, when they were one and four. Just recently, I watched a WDW Christmas Special from 1982. The special was quite strange, but there was a part, with a popular band of that time, set up on the sandy beach on Discovery Island, right in front of the ship. Now to think it is almost gone.......

That sounded crazy that you were asked to move right before the fireworks started. I wonder where they thought you were actually going to move to. I imagine just trying to move in that crowd would have been difficult. Let alone finding a place to stand!!! Surely those CM's must have misunderstood their assignment.

Love your photos of the "snow" on Main Street!

And since you keep mentioning your weather in this trip report, I will tell you we had a high today of 14 degrees. That felt like a heat wave compared to yesterday when it was 2 degrees but so windy, I think the wind chill brought it down to around -15. My youngest has been skiing at the mountain everyday after school with the team and he says, "its not too bad" Ha!!! Its "bad" for this Mom, I want your Florida weather!!!

Ready for more!!

Heidi

I know.

The girls scolded me for dong that- said I could get lice.  My head itched the rest of the night.  LOL. They have more sense than the old man.

But, as far as I know, I dodged that bullet.

I am going to have one of those turkey and brie sandwiches, don't you worry.

TCD

The contempo cafe is one of the best kept secret among quick service at the resorts in our opinion. I think chef Mickey overshadows this place. That turkey sandwich has been one of the best sandwiches I've had at Disney. We actually prefer this place over our old favorite quick serve roaring fork

TCD,

Another great update!

Makes me sad that the ship on Discovery Island is almost completely disappeared. I remember getting photos taken right in front of the ship, when I was a teenager and of my kids too, when they were one and four. Just recently, I watched a WDW Christmas Special from 1982. The special was quite strange, but there was a part, with a popular band of that time, set up on the sandy beach on Discovery Island, right in front of the ship. Now to think it is almost gone.......

That sounded crazy that you were asked to move right before the fireworks started. I wonder where they thought you were actually going to move to. I imagine just trying to move in that crowd would have been difficult. Let alone finding a place to stand!!! Surely those CM's must have misunderstood their assignment.

Love your photos of the "snow" on Main Street!

And since you keep mentioning your weather in this trip report, I will tell you we had a high today of 14 degrees. That felt like a heat wave compared to yesterday when it was 2 degrees but so windy, I think the wind chill brought it down to around -15. My youngest has been skiing at the mountain everyday after school with the team and he says, "its not too bad" Ha!!! Its "bad" for this Mom, I want your Florida weather!!!

Ready for more!!

Heidi

Your mention of the video filmed on Discovery Island jogged my memory.

I went and found it.  It was Pablo Cruise, and it was 1978.  Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-C_kvDwqeY

It's hard to believe that is the same boat, but I think it is.

I hope everyone stops to take a look at the video.  it is a masterpiece.  It perfectly captures 1978.

Awesome pictures!! THOSE FIREWORKS what can I say but WOW! Glad you made it back to the Fort for New Years!!

Thanks for the TR!

Thanks.

As I said, there is no way to capture the awesomeness of the fireworks with photos.  The New Year's Eve fireworks are the best ones they shoot off all year.

The contempo cafe is one of the best kept secret among quick service at the resorts in our opinion. I think chef Mickey overshadows this place. That turkey sandwich has been one of the best sandwiches I've had at Disney. We actually prefer this place over our old favorite quick serve roaring fork

I'm a big fan of the Contempo Café, too, and was a fan of the old quick serve location they used to have before it and the arcade were replaced by The Wave.  It is a very convenient place to stop traveling to or from the Fort.

It's hard to beat the location and atmosphere of the Contempo Café.  It definitely trumps Roaring Forks in those categories.

TCD

Update time.

It's now the morning of December 31.  The last day of 2013.

interestingly, I also spent the first day of 2013 at the Fort.  I say that makes it a good year.  For that, I am thankful.

After our boat ride back last night, and a little looping and getting settled down, it was near 3 am before we got to bed the night before.  That meant I wasn't going to be popping out of bed at 6 am today.  I probably was going to miss sunrise too, but I planned to do my best.

I got up a bit before 8, got a quick shower, and got ready to make my morning rounds.

It was already dark when I finished setting up camp yesterday, so I didn't have any photos of our site.

I took care of that first thing.

Here's the trusty TCD Gator Gnome at our site marker.  That's how you can tell if it's my site.  And, if S70 is reading this, thanks:

189_zps4a2f1340.jpg

You can see my only neighbor there in that photo.  They left the same day we did.  That was the first and last time that I saw them.  Quite a contrast to the Red Solo Cup Gang I was supposed to be camped next to.

On our last trip, I experimented with not setting up as much stuff as I usually do, and I ended up liking that.  So for this trip, I also ditched the add-a-room and dining fly, and went with just the basics:

190_zps2dd2b979.jpg

191_zps0104e05d.jpg

That's a pretty nice site.  Nice and open with a huge slab.

And, this is what you see if you stand right in front of the site and look toward the Meadow Trading Post:

192_zpsea720eac.jpg

How awesome it that?

I loved being that close to the Trading Post.

But, it wasn't all good.

The bus stop is right there too:

193_zpscb5b7cc6.jpg

We've camped near bus stops before.  In fact, I've camped a couple of times in site 1501, which has a bus stop directly behind it.

But, this one ended up being a really noisy bus stop.  Over on 1500, the buses only stop if there's someone to pick up, or someone is getting off.  I guess it's the same over here by the trading post, but the difference is that there's a lot more passengers getting on and off.  And, if there's a scooter, then there's going to be beeping and all other kinds of associated noise.

Still, if given a choice, I would gladly listen to bus noise over Red Solo Cup Gang noise.

It's pretty awesome to just be able to walk across the street and right up the sidewalk to the Trading Post:

194_zps5f9e7e6b.jpg

You can see the top of the big sycamore tree which stands behind the Trading Post in this photo, as well as the great Christmas decorations:

195_zps53f6f918.jpg

I went in to the Trading Post for a cup of coffee.  As you probably know, earlier in the year, Disney replaced all the Nescafe coffee machines with new coffee brewing systems provided by Joffrey's coffee.  I was in favor of getting rid of Nescafe, but wondered if there would be problems with relying on CM's to brew the coffee.  So far, I haven't had a problem getting a decent cup of coffee whey I've wanted one.  They stay on top of things in the mornings.  I'm not sure how well it goes in the afternoon or evening, but on any morning that I have wanted a cup of coffee either here at the Meadow Trading Post, or at Trail's End, it hasn't been a problem.

I took my coffee out back, and discovered a trespasser on Bob's dock:

196_zps4010084b.jpg

I walked over to tell him to beat it, and stopped for a photo of Bear Rock.  Every TCD TR needs a good Bear Rock photo:

197_zpsc1c75628.jpg

You can see there are lots of leaves on the ground.  They're coming from the two big sycamores that stand back here:

198_zps638a25e7.jpg

They are kind of late with the leaf shedding this year.  It's been warm.  You can see that some of the confused azalea plants are starting to bloom already.

The Meadow Trading Post back porch is one of my favorite places in the Fort:

199_zps24643fd2.jpg

I hung around there for a bit and enjoyed the unique Christmas tunes they play over the speakers.

Then, I headed back.  I needed to do some exploring with the cart.  There were things I hadn't checked on yet, since it got dark early the day before.

My walk back.  My site is right there behind the bushes.  You can see the bus stop to the right, and the comfort station right behind it.  That's what we had in the back of our site:

200_zpsa2d741b9.jpg

This shot is taken from the back of my site.  If you look in the gap between the trees, you might be able to see some green things.  Those are the canoes on the beach in front of the Bike Barn. Beyond those, you can actually see the campfire area.  You can't see that clearly in this photo, but it was easy to see all of that just standing there in person:

201_zpsfb85c50b.jpg

Same spot, with a little zoom:

202_zps56814874.jpg

My first stop this morning was over by the 1500 loop.  I wanted to see who got put in those empty sites that they told me I couldn't have yesterday.  I figured that it might be a group, so I wanted to see.

This is a look at another one of my favorite places at the Fort- the footbridge that crosses the canal across from the 1500 loop bus stop and leads to the Meadow pool.  I love to walk across that bridge and go get a root beer at the Meadow Snack Bar.  I don't know exactly why, but I do:

204_zps9481ad42.jpg

Here's a shot of the empty meadow from which the Meadow Recreation Area derives its name.  The sky is doing some funny things this morning.  The experts said we weren't supposed to get rain today.  But, what do they know?:

205_zps5f7fd288.jpg

Two of the sites that were open on the 1500 loop yesterday were 1501 and 1503.  You can see the backs of them in this shot, with 1501 on the left of the photo.  You can see that the camper in 1503 has a big dog.  The rules say dogs are not allowed on the partial hook up loops.  Yet, there he is:

206_zps0c186928.jpg

The camper in 1501 has a big trailer pushed back behind his site.  According to the Idiot Rangers who have harassed me in the past, this is a no-no.  But, this is the way it goes at the Fort.  Rules schmules.

A while back, some genius started a rumor that tents were no longer allowed on the premium sites.  Since then, I've checked every time I've been at the Fort, and there are more tents than ever.  The thing I like is how they let guests put tents anywhere they please.  This camper on the 500 loop pushed the limit, and set up his tent way behind his site. He added a trailer for good measure:

207_zps3891f3e2.jpg

208_zps3a80e9d4.jpg

So that's cool?  To set up a tent more than 100 yards away from your actual campsite?

One of these days, I'm going to show up at the Fort without a reservation, and pitch a tent in some open space behind a couple of sites.  My hope would be that the campers in those sites assume that the tent belongs to the neighbor, and no one says anything.  Free camping!  It could work.  The only thing holding me back is the awkwardness which would surely follow if it didn't work.

Have you guessed where we are going?

If you guessed out back of the 300 loop, you're right.

Here we are, looking down the canal:

209_zps0b9a4c19.jpg

Nice.  A dumpster.

But, that's not the worst thing you can see in that photo.

Look through the trees:

210_zps3e9bdef0.jpg

But it's not all bad.  The cranes are finally gone!  That's the good part.  The bad part is bad: The cranes are gone, but this is here.  And it's not going anywhere:

211_zpsee14f552.jpg

You can't see it in the photos, but there are red blinking lights on top of those towers.  And that's just the beginning.  I'm sure that resort will be lit up with fancy exterior lighting all night.  Idiots.

Oh, and while we're looking at the dumpster, are those trusses there in the dumpster?  Why?  I presume those are for the bat house across the canal, but why are they in a dumpster?

I don't know. 

Let's not linger here.

There's some interesting stuff going on at the dam that we need to examine.  Maybe looking at that will help to clear this up.

As you may know, they installed a permanent pump on the Fort side of the dam this year.  And they gated off the bridge.  And, they started to build a really big bat house.  When I was here two weeks ago, it looked like they were pouring the footers for the supports for the bat house.  I figured it couldn't take long to build a bat house.  It's just a box on stilts.  But looking toward the dam, I could see that there was noting vertical yet related to the bat house across the canal.  And now there's all kinds of new stuff going on around the dam:

212_zps362cf766.jpg

What the Fort?

What the heck is going on?

I couldn't tell you.

All I can say is it's weird.

I have a lot of photos to share.

In fact, I'm going to end this update here so I can devote a full update to the weird stuff going on around the dam.

I saw stuff I've never seen before.

It's weird, I tell you.

You'll see.

TCD

Thank you so much for digging that video out.  Really.  That was something.  What was that term you and Devores taught me a while back?  Moose knuckle?  Oy.

Yep, that tent way off the site on 500 got my attention too.  Not only did they have the tent there, earlier in their stay they had a little fire pit set up also.  That went bye-bye,  though.  So apparently, some rules are being enforced.  Hey, we'll let you bend this rule, but not that one……rule d'jour, anyone?

They weren't subtle about their stake on that loop, either.  Had lights strung from the camper on back to the tent at night.

Curious why you have no photos of the VW bus that was set up near those tent folks on 1500 w/ the dog?  Oh, right.  The VW bus and all.

Awesome TR as usual. I totally just blew off almost an hour of work to read it. Do you realize how much production goes down across the Country when you publish a TR? This repression that supposedly ended could be a direct runnof of a TCD TR. Anywho....  I was surprised you braved the headband too but doubt much of anything terrible could adhere to that little band. Who knows, it could be from some hot chick who bathes regularly. You could have "hot chick cooties" . Things cold be worse.

By the time I catch up on one of your reports I have usually completely forgotten what comments I wanted to make. But I do remember thinking I could mail some snow to the twins as I live in what feels like the dang tundra and I hope you get the walk the water bridge. I just love that bridge!

Way to hold your ground Firework night. My Jim is notorious for dodging cm's with a mission on walkways. Last time during the Christmas Parade He was trying to keep my daughter (11) in sight she had gone up towards the main street road and shimmied her way into a small crowd inside a rope. He stood as close to the rope as possible and was actually completely out of the way in this instance, BUT still outside the rope zone.and getting hollered at. He wanted my daughter to see the parade but would not leave her so he took the rope and lifted it over his head and was then inside the rope. Poor CM. Sometimes I would not wish to be in their shoes. lol

Thanks for the tr can't wait to hear the rest.

Laura

Your mention of the video filmed on Discovery Island jogged my memory.

I went and found it.  It was Pablo Cruise, and it was 1978.  Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-C_kvDwqeY

It's hard to believe that is the same boat, but I think it is.

I hope everyone stops to take a look at the video.  it is a masterpiece.  It perfectly captures 1978.

That's a great video.  Brings back a lot of good memories of Discovery Island.  Thank you for posting it.

Thank you so much for digging that video out.  Really.  That was something.  What was that term you and Devores taught me a while back?  Moose knuckle?  Oy.

Great comment.

You literally made me LOL.

That is a fine example of a Moose Knuckle.  That was a bad time in our history.

Yep, that tent way off the site on 500 got my attention too.  Not only did they have the tent there, earlier in their stay they had a little fire pit set up also.  That went bye-bye,  though.  So apparently, some rules are being enforced.  Hey, we'll let you bend this rule, but not that one……rule d'jour, anyone?

They weren't subtle about their stake on that loop, either.  Had lights strung from the camper on back to the tent at night.

Never saw the lights.

As far as I've seen, there is no rule about keeping your tents on your site.  There ought to be, but there isn't.  I guess if you can cram it in somewhere, that's good enough.

Curious why you have no photos of the VW bus that was set up near those tent folks on 1500 w/ the dog?  Oh, right.  The VW bus and all.

The hippie who got that site was out tuning his accordion or rolling a fat one or something at his picnic table when I drove by, and gave me the stink eye, so I couldn't take a photo.

No way I'm going to take a hippie's photo when he's looking.  He might track me down and murder me as they are wont to do.  That's a well documented fact.

Looking forward to all the weird stuff, the weirder the better.

And that Pablo Cruise video was disturbing.

Yeah, that video is something.

I'm working on getting the weird stuff photos together.  Probably won't be weird enough for you, though.

Not sure I want to see that video now.

Get you buddy Loud Alex, and watch it together.  Dude in Pablo Cruise looks like Alex in his white knickers.

I am glad i was too young too remember much of the 70s.

Some things cannot be unseen.

Dudes were pretty proud of their packages back then. WTF?

Consider yourself lucky.

I was 17 in 1978.  I had been raised very much to be anti-hippie.  Then this Disco crap happened. It was a real problem for me.  I liked getting hair cuts, and shaving, and bathing.  And buttons.  It was hard for me to fit in.

Your comment also made me LOL.  For real.

Awesome TR as usual. I totally just blew off almost an hour of work to read it. Do you realize how much production goes down across the Country when you publish a TR? This repression that supposedly ended could be a direct runnof of a TCD TR. Anywho....  I was surprised you braved the headband too but doubt much of anything terrible could adhere to that little band. Who knows, it could be from some hot chick who bathes regularly. You could have "hot chick cooties" . Things cold be worse.

By the time I catch up on one of your reports I have usually completely forgotten what comments I wanted to make. But I do remember thinking I could mail some snow to the twins as I live in what feels like the dang tundra and I hope you get the walk the water bridge. I just love that bridge!

Way to hold your ground Firework night. My Jim is notorious for dodging cm's with a mission on walkways. Last time during the Christmas Parade He was trying to keep my daughter (11) in sight she had gone up towards the main street road and shimmied her way into a small crowd inside a rope. He stood as close to the rope as possible and was actually completely out of the way in this instance, BUT still outside the rope zone.and getting hollered at. He wanted my daughter to see the parade but would not leave her so he took the rope and lifted it over his head and was then inside the rope. Poor CM. Sometimes I would not wish to be in their shoes. lol

Thanks for the tr can't wait to hear the rest.

Laura

Thanks but not thanks on the snow in a box.

As I said earlier, I try very hard to be nice to all the CM's.  A lot of them are the same age as my daughters, and I wouldn't want anyone giving them a hard time.  These poor kids were just doing what they thought they were told to do.  Somebody messed up.  No big deal.

That's a great video.  Brings back a lot of good memories of Discovery Island.  Thank you for posting it.

I like to remember Discovery Island.

But, I don't like to remember dudes with 'fros and tight white pants and no buttons on their shirts.

TCD

I like to remember Discovery Island.

But, I don't like to remember dudes with 'fros and tight white pants and no buttons on their shirts.

:rofl2:  I didn't pay attention to the dudes.  I was looking at the boat, the birds, and the Bay Lake water activities - particularly the skiing and the jet skis.  Those were the good old days.

Page 5!  I'm late to this party....guess I could make a grand entrance....

Well done!

Page 5 isn't bad.

If old DIT doesn't hurry up, he's not even going to make that.

:rofl2:  I didn't pay attention to the dudes.  I was looking at the boat, the birds, and the Bay Lake water activities - particularly the skiing and the jet skis.  Those were the good old days.

Yeah, it's amazing all the different kinds of watercraft you used to be able to take out into the lake that you no longer can.

I haven't seen anyone out waterskiing in a while either.  Not even Goofy.

TCD

Why would someone want to camp that far from their pad? 

And seriously, where is DIT? I'm starting to worry about him. If he doesn't talk about terrorists around the dam, someone needs to call INC. 

I agree. BEST Disney sandwich. Yum! 

Why would someone want to camp that far from their pad? 

And seriously, where is DIT? I'm starting to worry about him. If he doesn't talk about terrorists around the dam, someone needs to call INC. 

I am about to post photos that very much support Dave's Secret Iranian Nuclear Project Theory.

If he doesn't comment on those, then the only thing I can think of is that they have caught him and are holding him captive.  He should have kept his mouth shut.

TCD

OK, let's get to the dam update.

I had just been out here by the dam two weeks before.  At that point, there was a bunch of stuff going on across the bridge which was related, I presume, to the construction of a bat house over there.  There is a new gate blocking access across the bridge, and all the stuff going on at that time was on the other side of the gate.

Today, I saw that they now had a construction fence up on the Fort side of the bridge:

213_zps6f8fc079.jpg

This new construction fence starts on one side of the bridge, and surrounds the new pump, then continues all the way along the canal almost to the point where it enters Bay Lake.  Also, do you see that there is a life ring hanging up over there by the pump? What the Fort?:

214_zps2999e1d4.jpg

Near where the bridge is fenced off with the construction fence, these slabs are stacked.  I can't figure out what they're for:

215_zps8cbab502.jpg

I couldn't see through or over the construction fence, but I could reach my camera over the top and take photos, which is how I took this one- it shows the bridge, and it gives us a big clue about what is going on here:

216_zps7c5242c2.jpg

This photo is from that same point, but with the camera turned to the left- here we can see construction materials stacked up on the other side of the canal.  As best I can tell, there has been no progress made on the bat house:

217_zpse73d4264.jpg

Now we are turned to the right- you can see that they have those yellow turbidity curtains (I learned about those back when they were putting in the new 600 loop sites) stretched across the canal, and there's the life ring:

218_zpse965cad9.jpg

This is a look down the outside of the fence.  We are going to move down a bit to see what we can see over the fence down there:

219_zpsff0211f4.jpg

Here's another peek over the fence.  What the heck is that folding chair doing there?  Was somebody sitting there when they put up the fence, and he got fenced in?  Is that where the lifeguard sits?  And there's another life ring hanging here too:

220_zps046aa7c8.jpg

There are turbidity curtains over here too:

221_zps3ba55929.jpg

Turning to the left and looking down, I can see big pipes with some kind of filters attached.  The pipes are connected to that contraption in the back:

222_zps099ef498.jpg

Turning to the right gives us a good look at the bridge and that life ring:

223_zps66868b2e.jpg

OK, now somebody explain this to me.  If someone falls into that canal, and can't swim or walk six feet to the shore, what the heck good is that life ring going to do?

If this was a government job, I could understand this life ring being here.  But this is private property, right?

Here's a look across the canal at all the stuff stacked over there:

224_zpsf2d2568c.jpg

OK, now here's where it gets really weird.  Those big pipes with the filters on them are connected to this box:

225_zps1cd369ae.jpg

226_zps468aa96a.jpg

227_zpsd4d8c378.jpg

What the heck is that?

Burlap nets?

Why?

It looks like the water that is pumped in to that box drains out via these pipes:

228_zpsbf190025.jpg

229_zpse91bf4d1.jpg

I wish there was a better way to see what the heck is going on across the canal, but now we can't even walk on the bridge:

230_zpsd0fd6f3e.jpg

There's a silt fence over there by the old cabin.  That usually denotes the border of a construction project, but it looks like they have stuff stacked up on the other side of it:

231_zps944e182d.jpg

I was still able to walk out on that little concrete dock that is at the end of the canal and get a look back at the whole dam mess:

232_zps9a6c2dc9.jpg

Here's a look at the old cabin and the new bat house on the pole they recently put in on the other side of the canal.  The bat house that they are building is not at all like that little one on the pole.  But, for some reason, they are not making any progress on it.  Maybe they're waiting to finish whatever this water project is first:

233_zps347a0452.jpg

So, what is this all about?

Remember that one photo that I said gave a good clue?

There was a trailer that said it was from some company called InterfaceH2O.  They have a website:  http://www.interfaceh2o.com/

They are in the turbidity reduction business.

But why here?

Are they cleaning up the canal so the Four Seasons people won't have to see green slime?

Or is the water being cleaned before it hits Bay Lake?

The stuff they've installed looks temporary.

So What The Fort?

I don't know.

I just know it's a dam mess.

Or maybe DIT has been right all along.

TCD

The yellow floaties are to keep construction silt and materials from entering the waterways. The box the filters are connected are to clean the water before allowing it to enter seven seas. This would tell me they plan on doing some serious construction either on the banks or in the canal itself.

This could support my theory of them removing the dam and having boat transportation form the 4 seasons to MK.