Camping Recipies

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was my contribution... and I promise you, it gets RAVE reviews.  People think you put in a *lot* of effort here, and really, ya don't!!  :rofl2:

http://www.rvusa.org/dev/forum/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=ff92066e95b9b503716ce2c161e8e0d9

I don't know if this has been linked yet, but this takes you to John's site, rvUSA,org. I have gotten some really good recipies from here. My kids ask for Frank's breakfast casserole every time we go out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This was my contribution... and I promise you, it gets RAVE reviews.  People think you put in a *lot* of effort here, and really, ya don't!!  :rofl2:

Pork Tenderloin in the Crockpot

OK, this is cooking *my* way! You need 3 things....

A whole pork tenderloin

a can of cranberry sauce (any kind)

an envelope of onion soup mix (any kind)

plop it all in the crockpot, cook it till you can't stand the smell any longer..... we eat it sliced one night, and shredded on sammies the next night. Yum-O!~!

Pork Tenderloin in the Crockpot

OK, this is cooking *my* way! You need 3 things....

A whole pork tenderloin

a can of cranberry sauce (any kind)

an envelope of onion soup mix (any kind)

plop it all in the crockpot, cook it till you can't stand the smell any longer..... we eat it sliced one night, and shredded on sammies the next night. Yum-O!~!

We are definitely going to try this one, it sounds delicious!

Greek Salad Dressing

1 1/2 C Olive Oil

2 C Red Wine Vinegar

4 Tsp Garlic Powder

4 Tsp Dried Oregano

4 Tsp Dried Basil

1 Tbs Salt

1 Tbs Onion Powder

1 Tbs Dijon Mustard

Combine all ingredients in a 32oz (or larger) drink container with a pour spout. (Tupperware)

Cover tightly and shake vigorously.  Store at room temperature.

• 8 months later...
This was my contribution... and I promise you, it gets RAVE reviews. People think you put in a *lot* of effort here, and really, ya don't!!

I'm a believer!!!! Made it during our New Year's camping this week. Yummmmmm!!! I must say, the longer you can hold off eating, the better. Super tasty shredded and on a bun! :)

The BEST S'MORES you'll ever eat!!!!

Ingredients:

marshmallows

Keebler fudge stripe cookies

Just like always, roast your marshmallow but then you just put it in between 2 fudge stripe cookies and OH MY GOSH they are AWESOME!

This just made me think of our S'mores...

Try Ghirardelli Pumpkin Spice Squares instead of plain chocolate. They are YUMMY!!! (It's as if these little squares were designed for S'mores!)

We've tried other flavors, but the pumpkin spice is my favorite.

I say experiment on your own.. ;)

[i haven't been shopping in a while] Empty Pantry Red Beans & Rice

Olive oil

1 kielbasa or chorizo sausage*

1 onion

4 cloves garlic (or two heaping spoonfuls chopped garlic)

1 cup chicken or vegetable broth

1 TBSP Creole or Cajun seasoning

3 14.5/15 oz cans Red beans (any type)

3 cups uncooked rice (not instant)

Your favorite hot sauce

Swirl a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy pan or dutch oven and heat over medium until hot. Add onion, sausage and garlic. Cover. Saute until onions start to brown, about ten minutes.

Add in cajun seasoning (FWIW, i make my own but you can use Emeril's Essence or some other cajun seasoning) and stir for about a minute.

Add in broth and beans (I drain them slightly but not all the way). Bring to a boil and simmer for 30-45 minutes. Add salt/pepper to taste.

Cook rice according to package directions. Should make about 6 cups of rice when done.

Put rice in bowl. Ladle bean mixture on top. Add hot sauce. Enjoy. Watch food disappear.

*I just made this again last week, but with Andouille sausage. It was even better.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been meaning to post this for a while, but never got around to it. Our oldest son can not eat foods containing gluten, which is found in wheat, barley, rye and oats so we had to learn to start cooking gluten free. There was a lot of expensive trial and error involved in trying to recreate some of the classics in a way that has a similar taste and texture. While we have since learned that you don't need to have breads and carbs to have a very healthy and varied diet, everyone loves some pancakes or waffles on a cold morning. This mix will be almost impossible to tell differently from normal buttermilk pancakes. Create a featherlight mix of flour to replace normal flour in the recipe.

Featherlight Mix (from The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods by Bette Hagman)

Rice Flour (1 part) 3 cups

Tapioca Flour (1 part) 3 cups

Cornstarch (1 part) 3 cups

Potato Flour (1 tsp per cup) 3 TBSP

Basic Buttermilk Pancake recipe

2 c. flour (use the featherlight mix above)

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

4 eggs, well beaten

2 c. buttermilk

1/2 c. milk

Combine dry ingredients. Beat eggs and add buttermilk and milk. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Recipe can also be used for waffles.

We also have a killer banana bread recipe that works with the featherlight mix, but it could hardly be called a camping recipe - needs an hour to cook.

• 1 month later...

A little something we do all the time while camping.

I always make beer butt chicken for myself, DW, and DD

We usually only eat one chicken but I always make two. The next day I take the extra chicken shred all the meet up in a saucepan and then add BBQ sauce and heat till it's hot and make BBQ chix sandwiches. This also works with left over roast beef or pork.

Grilled Beer Brats

4 Beers

1 Pack Hogie rolls

1 large onion

Spicy Mustard

1 pack Frozen Johnsonville Bratwurst ( I prefer the uncooked ones)

Pour the beers in a pot and start to heat. Cut onion in to quartes and place in the pot. Add the Brats and cook until they are cooked through. While the brats are cooking fire up the grill. when the brats are done in the beer bath place them on the grill and grill 4-5 minutes a side. Serve them up on a bun with the mustard and some of the onion from the beer bath.

I have a similar recipe but it calls for 6 beers.

After adding 4 beers open fifth beer and drink

Then when grilling brats drink sixth beer

I have a similar recipe but it calls for 6 beers.

After adding 4 beers open fifth beer and drink

Then when grilling brats drink sixth beer

It's VERY important to see that both the brats AND grill master are well-infused with the beer. :rofl2:

• 4 weeks later...

A good, New England recipe, here is a version I found on AllRecipes.com:

"Beans baked the old-fashioned way -- in a bean hole! These are full of the authentic baked beans flavors of molasses and salt pork. Great for big outdoor gatherings."

Ingredients:

10 cups dried great Northern beans

1 pound salt pork

2 onions

2 1/2 cups molasses

1 teaspoon black pepper

4 teaspoons dry hot mustard

1/2 cup butter

Directions:

1. The bean hole should be 2 1/2 to 3 feet deep, depending on your pot. The hole should be big enough around to have a 6 inch space between the pot and the edge of the hole on all sides. To help hold heat, put some old tire chains or stones in the hole before starting the fire.

2. Start the fire and keep it filled with good dry hardwood. Let it burn for about 3 hours. The hole should be at least 3/4 full of hot coals. After the fire has been going for about an hour, place the beans in a large pot, on the stove with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until skins roll back when you blow on them, about 45 minutes. Watch closely, because they will get mushy if left too long.

3. When the hole is ready, cut the salt pork in to 2 inch wide and 1/4 inch thick slices. Place them into the bottom of the bean pot. Peel and cut the onions in half; lay them on top of the pork. Pour the beans and their liquid into the pot, then mix in the molasses, black pepper and dry mustard. Slice butter and place on top. Add enough boiling water to cover the beans by one inch. Cover the top of the pot tightly with aluminum foil so that it goes down over the sides by at least 2 inches. Place lid onto bean pot.

4. Before putting the pot into the hole, remove about 1/3 of the coals using a shovel. Remove and discard any burning pieces of wood. Place the bean pot into the hole, and put the coals from the hole back in around the sides and over the top of the bean pot. Now start filling the hole in with the dirt, packing it down with your feet as you go. You should end up with about 2 feet of dirt covering the pot. Cover the place where the beans are buried with a tarp or piece of metal to keep out rain. 5. Let the beans stew overnight in their bean hole. Carefully dig them out the next day and enjoy!

I will look up my mother's recipe for bubble and squeak, that's a nice dutch oven recipe.

I'm not digging any holes, but I'm betting you could do this in the oven too.

My Memere used to make homemade beans all the time - like once a week!

She'd have them in the oven all day on Saturday - talk about smelling good.

In fact I think I'll give it a try and let you all know how it turns out.

Here is a simple apple salad that is light, refreshing and easy to make

Caramel Apple Salad

About 5 good size granny smith apples cubed. (do not peel)

3 full size snickers or payday bars cut into pieces. chilling them first makes this process easier.

salted peanuts about 1/2 a cup

I container of cool whip thawed. I usually don't thaw it completely it makes it stick to the apples better.

1/4 cup powdered sugar

mix well and keep chilled till ready to serve

I used Payday bars when I made this in February at the Fort. Jen is allergic to chocolate!

Caramel Apple Salad

3 full size snickers or payday bars cut into pieces. chilling them first makes this process easier.

I container of cool whip thawed. I usually don't thaw it completely it makes it stick to the apples better.

1/4 cup powdered sugar

I used Payday bars when I made this in February at the Fort. Jen is allergic to chocolate!

Insert drooling emoticon here! (don't have this one memorized yet for the phone)

I hear this is an excellent dish post-op...recommended one week after surgery, correct?

Caramel Apple Salad

1/4 cup powdered sugar

I loved it, can only have it when Doodle makes it, because if I made in the house Rich would eat it and it's a NO NO for him

f2af09e7.jpg

I made this recipe last year and it was really good!! The only thing I did different was add brown sugar and crushed pineapple including the juice!

Slow cooker fruited Ham - From Betty Crocker

Prep time - 5 mins

Total Time - 8 hrs 5 mins

Servings - 8

INGREDIENTS

3-pound fully cooked smoked boneless ham 1/2 teaspoon pepper

2 jars (6 ounces each) fruit chutney (1 1/2 cups) 1 cup dried apricots, chopped

1 cup frozen small whole onions (from 1-pound bag) 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Place ham in 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with pepper. Mix remaining ingredients; pour over ham.

Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours.