The Trip Cut Short but Thank Goodness Everything’s OK Trip Report

I thought of a lot of different names for this trip report as it went along – “The New Camera Trip Report” (Ray got an awesome new camera), the “Best Room View Ever Trip Report” (awesomely self-explanatory), the “Segway through Epcot Trip Report” (would have been so cool), the “I Can’t Believe We Left our Kids at Home in the Snow to go to Disney Trip Report” (to be explained in a little bit), but in light of the way everything happened, I landed on “The Trip Cut Short but Thank Goodness Everything’s OK Trip Report”.  So, here we go!

Last year Ray and I celebrated our 20th anniversary with two trips – a trip to WDW for just the two of us on our actual anniversary in February, and a (much bigger) trip for our whole family to Hawaii for two weeks, including a week at Disney’s Aulani on Oahu.  Both trips were amazing and just a really awesome way to celebrate 20 years together.

Flash forward to this year – 21 years of marriage now (well, almost!).  We definitely could not even consider a big trip like the Hawaii trip had been last year, but our trip with just the two of us to WDW last winter had been so much fun and such a great break from the doldrums of winter that we decided we had to return.   It helped that we had bought annual passes last year that started on the February trip, so we wanted to get one more trip in on those passes before they expired.

Looking forward to this trip really helped get us through the doldrums of winter.  It’s been a tough one too – lots of cold, rainy, dreary, and even snowy days.  So we were thrilled when the time came to jump on a plane (no driving this time!) and hop on down to Orlando on January 28. 

Our girls are now in 12th and 10th grade.  There was no way they could miss school, especially Danielle who wants to get to skip her final exams this semester.  To get to do this, she can only miss 5 days of school this semester and she is going to use up all 5 days on another mission trip to Honduras right before spring break.  So, I lined up my sweet 20-something cousin who is getting married in March to stay with the girls.  They were glad to get to stay at home and we knew they would be in good hands with her.

My cute cousin:

1779914_10203155054662527_566578943_n_zp

We had an early morning flight – here is what the forecast for our area was on our departure day:

image_full21_zps57459056.gif

(We are in the "Dusting" portion of that map.)  I’m sure some of you know the punchline of this part of this report – things didn’t quite pan out the way they were supposed to.  I’ll give y’all the Disney portion of this report first, and then the home version, and that will be it.  This will be a pretty short report.

We’ll just bypass for now the serious guilt and regret we were dealing with once things started to unravel at home.  We landed in beautiful Orlando, zipped easily to the Boardwalk and were in sandals heading to Epcot in 80 degree sunny weather by 10:30.

One of my favorite pictures each trip:

IMG_0139_zps0d519fe1.jpg

While I checked in at the BWV, Ray set off to take pictures with his new camera.

IMG_0145_zpsa0befa6e.jpg

IMG_0149_zps69d26dbf.jpg

IMG_0151_zps3b8f3963.jpg

IMG_0144_zpscdde5318.jpg

The scary chairs:

IMG_0143_zps2d8a7c97.jpg

The room wasn’t ready yet, so we headed off to Epcot to enjoy the wonderful weather and find some lunch.  Even just the stroll over there was  relaxing.

IMG_0157_zps83b2ab93.jpg

IMG_0159_zpsa57ea07e.jpg

IMG_0160_zps02e089cd.jpg

IMG_0161_zps14c22996.jpg

IMG_0163_zps6e6c557c.jpg

IMG_0164_zpscfbc217a.jpg

Anyone know what this boat does?  We saw it (or another just like it) going back and forth from Epcot a few times this trip.

IMG_0172_zpsd5639f26.jpg

We made it to Epcot!

IMG_0180_zps11376d31.jpg

IMG_0182_zps147898b5.jpg

IMG_0183_zps5d06a524.jpg

IMG_0187_zps6a581035.jpg

IMG_0189_zps12ad9127.jpg

IMG_0192_zpsdddefdee.jpg

IMG_0193_zps28edf8f7.jpg

After trying in vain to find any plush or other merchandise from Frozen in Norway (all sold out, but we did get to see Elsa and Anna as they passed through to the meet and greet area!), we grabbed lunch at the fish and chips CS spot in England – Ray’s favorite lunch in all of WDW.  It was good and fresh – I completely burned the roof of my mouth almost off. 

After lunch, we went back to Boardwalk, where our room was ready.  Let me say that we truly had the best view I’ve ever had in any room at WDW.  It was so fun.

Looking from left to right – it would be really cool if I knew how to put these together into one panoramic shot, but I don’t:

IMG_0196_zpsde3d5d94.jpg

IMG_0197_zps88bebf8f.jpg

IMG_0198_zps004acb11.jpg

IMG_0199_zps5ac39b6e.jpg

Close up shot of Epcot, plus a bird in flight:

IMG_0203_zps401447cb.jpg

Just loved it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The harringbone area of the Boardwalk is VERY rough and could use some work. I thought it was going to jar my teeth out during the 10K ride across it in the handcycle. You can see how uneven it is in the photos. Really Disney ... this is supposed to be a

Premium area. Spend a few bucks!

Hey everyone!  Glad to have you on board!

Great pics!!

I am excited to see Lucy the elephant in the scary chair picture.

Looking forward to the trip and glad everyone is okay!

Thanks!  I know there is a story behind Lucy the elephant but I can't remember what it was.  It looks to me kind of like Alabama football's mascot, but I'm quite sure that's not right.  Please fill me in!  

Nice pictures!  

We loved walking the Boardwalk to Epcot when we stayed at the Dolphin.  

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Thanks!  The ability to walk to two parks is one of the best things about staying at BW. I do also love the atmosphere - it changes dramatically from day to night! Of course, nothing compares to the Fort...  :)

I have never been over to the Boardwalk area, so I am loving all the pics!  Looking forward to more!

Oops - I messed up your quote, Marty.  Sorry, but I'm glad you're here!

Great pics!!!  Oh, and where is that Hawaii Aulani Trip Report??!!!!!!! (or did I just miss it)

You know, I started on a trip report from Hawaii and got all the way through our first week on Kona but fizzled around the time we got to Aulani.  No idea why, other than I'm sure life got in the way.  I always try to get the reports pretty substantially completed before I start posting so I don't abandon ship.  If y'all don't mind wading through a Hawaii but non-Disney week, I might could use that time to get the Aulani part shaped up.  Let me see if I can find what I started...

The new camera takes great pics.  Looking forward to more!

Thanks!  It's a fun camera and Ray really enjoyed being the photographer this trip!

I was wondering the same thing about the Hawaii trip report.

Looking forward to more on this report.

Thanks, Yvonne!

Gorgeous pictures!  Can't wait to see and read more!

Thanks!  Glad you're reading!

Lucy! Lucy!

I'm guessing this is about Lucy that elephant again.  I've got to be brought up to date on her!

The harringbone area of the Boardwalk is VERY rough and could use some work. I thought it was going to jar my teeth out during the 10K ride across it in the handcycle. You can see how uneven it is in the photos. Really Disney ... this is supposed to be a
Premium area. Spend a few bucks!

You're absolutely right, Ed.  It's definitely a rough area.  I never thought about how that would be in a handcycle or even a wheelchair.  I do know one thing though - a wet boardwalk and Tom's (the shoe) do not mix - I busted my butt pretty hard Wednesday morning going to get breakfast.  Lesson learned there.

Thanks, y'all, for reading and commenting!  

Wow, those pictures are beautiful!

Looking forward to reading more, and thank you for letting us know in the title that everything is going to end up okay (it's the mother in me, I just have to know immediately "Is everyone alright??"  haha).

Did I make the first page?

Looking forward to more.  Great pictures so far.

Thanks!  Glad you're here!

Count me in. I would also love to see the Hawaii trip. It is definitely on our list of places we want to go. 

Thanks!  I'll try to dig the Hawaii TR up when I get done with this one.  Won't be too long as this one is gonna be pretty short!

Wow, those pictures are beautiful!

Looking forward to reading more, and thank you for letting us know in the title that everything is going to end up okay (it's the mother in me, I just have to know immediately "Is everyone alright??"  haha).

Thanks!  Yup - I'm the same way - that's why I started with the end - everything being ok, thankfully!

I'm in!  Have I ever made 1st page TR???

You made it!  Glad you're here!

Lucy the Elephant is a landmark in Margate, NJ. (That's where my parents grew up.)

http://www.lucytheelephant.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43&Itemid=18

Ah - thanks, Kelly!  I knew there was a story and now I know what it is!

After getting settled in, we headed back to Epcot to catch our FP for Soarin’ and then went to dinner somewhere completely new for us – Restaurant Marrakesh.  It was great!

This was the cutest scene I think I’ve ever seen at a character interaction:

IMG_0221_zpsd360410e.jpg

Something was being filmed in England.  Y’all let me know if you know what this was.  The girl in the red shirt and the girl with the black hat and sunglasses seemed to be someone – I just don’t know who!

IMG_0222_zps6869db54.jpg

IMG_0223_zps64c902c7.jpg

IMG_0225_zps3eae4878.jpg

IMG_0224_zps6e55f5c3.jpg

With Ray’s new camera, we weren’t as good at shooting selfies as we normally have been on these trips:

IMG_0229_zps3a88534d.jpg

(Sorry! I know that’s a little scary!)

IMG_0230_zpsd07464da.jpg

IMG_0244_zps4efa1a0f.jpg

Made it to Morocco!

IMG_0247_zps1d979529.jpg

IMG_0254_zps32227943.jpg

IMG_0256_zpscb266026.jpg

IMG_0257_zpsde06c106.jpg

IMG_0259_zps2525b048.jpg

IMG_0260_zpsbb5ae601.jpg

After supper, we headed back to our room to watch fireworks, first Wishes and then Illuminations!

IMG_0266_zps8be9794c.jpg

IMG_0265_zps6d83067b.jpg

Wishes:

IMG_0268_zps72947d77.jpg

Illuminations:

IMG_0289_zps9a1ba28f.jpg

IMG_0290_zpsf41a4848.jpg

Up next:  Ray’s first trip to Universal!

I hope you visited Jellyrolls on the boardwalk. That is mine and my wife's favorite place to party at Disney when the kids are not with us (which isn't very often). They don't advertise this place much and many people don't know about it. This dueling piano bar has had the same entertainers here for years and your guaranteed to have a good time. I can't even imagine what the rates on your room was. I looked for rooms last week and saw them for over $600 a night...ouch. Gotta love camping :)

Anyone know what this boat does?  We saw it (or another just like it) going back and forth from Epcot a few times this trip.

IMG_0172_zpsd5639f26.jpg

That's a fuel boat. They use it to bring gas to all of the boats that they use around Epcot.  There are similar boats that travel around Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon.

I hope you visited Jellyrolls on the boardwalk. That is mine and my wife's favorite place to party at Disney when the kids are not with us (which isn't very often). They don't advertise this place much and many people don't know about it. This dueling piano bar has had the same entertainers here for years and your guaranteed to have a good time. I can't even imagine what the rates on your room was. I looked for rooms last week and saw them for over $600 a night...ouch. Gotta love camping :)

I agree.  It's been a while since I've been to Jellyrolls, but it is a very fun place.  Much more fun than it sounds.

TCD