AC's December 2013 Fortin' Around At Christmas TR (Not to be missed Super Interesting Update Added on 5-28-14) :)

I'm in.  Oh and you can stop trying to get a whiff of Stinking Creek. It doesn't stink anymore.  The story goes a little over 230 years ago there was a creek named Sugar Creek by the settlers that harvested Maple sap from the trees that grow there.  One unusually cold winter large numbers of the settler's live stock died of exposure. Not having tractors and backhoes like we do now they had no way of burying such a large  quantity of animals so they put them in the creek hoping they would all wash away.  (Major Fail) Well come spring and summer the local Indians started calling it Stinking Creek and it stuck.  

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes.   TCD

Now we can make fun of you for not finishing your TR quickly enough.  With the snow storm we are expecting here in the South the next few days, I will be very bored and hoping for many updates each da

I like P+F in their Christmas hats! And I love good character interaction.    Was there any Glow with the Show action at Fantasmic? 

I'm in!

Nice to have you here Becks!

I'm in too!

Glad you're here Gwen!

I'm in!

But how am I going to make fun of you?!?!?

Change the "y" in "you" to a capital "L".  You will have a vast array of material.

I'm in....page one! 

And I do think I will restrain myself and only post once on page one....being a nice guy and all. 

I do want to comment on the gas prices.  We've been paying around that, maybe a touch more, for a number of weeks now here.  I was up north for work a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe the prices.  It just goes to show you....the government's we elect in our states do have an impact on our lives.  (Don't want to drag your brand new TR into the debate board so I'll leave it at that). 

Hey, squirrel! 

Carry on....you won't hear from me again until at least page 2. 

I thought you may recognize the Squirrel.  State Governments?  Totally agree.

I'm in also and jealous of the price for gas we were paying 3.54 a gallon last week in Vt.

Gas prices are brutal in the land of the frozen north.  Happy you're along for the ride.

Finally! It's almost Valentine's Day and your talking about Christmas. :)

I know it.  Merry Christmas!  The white stuff just keeps piling up outside.  Be glad you are at the Fort!

Love it so far!  Thanks for sharing!!!!

Thanks for joining in Laura.

Another TR to be in on.

Annie is here.  Annie wants a coffee.

First page, yay! I've seen how you've been teased recently about getting your TR started, but glad it worked, as I am looking forward to reading about your trip!!

I am a pushover it seems.  Hope you like it.

I'm in, looking forward to more.....

Nice to have you along J&G.

I'm in. Page one baby!!!

Nice to have you on page one Ray!

Thanks Dave. You must still be on your carb high to not posty posty posty on page one.

Nice to have you on page one Ray!

Ohhhhhhhh burnnnnnnnnnnn!

What?  Did something happen? :)

Page 1!  Whoo hoo!  I never make in on page one of any TR.  At least not in a long time!

Off to a good start.  I am still LOL about the "bad" language.  You should watch that potty mouth of yours. :))

I get the play on words but....WHO names a business DoggieStyles.  .   :facepalm:

Thanks for joining in Kim!  Little Miss DoggieStyles deserved a real middle finger, but I played the good daddy and you know......didn't go all road rage on her.  I did tell DW I was going to pull a Clark Griswold and say "Look kids a deer!"

She was slightly amused.  Slightly.

Count me in as well.

J is here!

Have we not made it to page 2 yet?!?

I guess we have, but we had not then.

We're in now now.

http://youtu.be/gNIwlRClHsQ

Not yet.  And I'm not posting again until we get there, to give everyone else a chance. 

That is very magnanimous of you.

oops.jpg

Leave Britney Alone!!!!

Aww man Dave!

Yup.

Aaron, how many miles did you drive that day?  I mapquested Ann Arbor to Valdosta and got nearly 950 miles.  Ouch!

960 from our house.....probably 950 from downtown Ann Arbor.  It sucks but I like having the short drive on day two.

Now we can make fun of you for not finishing your TR quickly enough.  With the snow storm we are expecting here in the South the next few days, I will be very bored and hoping for many updates each day.  Get cracking, man!

I will do my best to get at least a few updates in over the next couple days.  Hope the traffic situation isn't as messed up as the last storm and everyone stays safe and warm.

Great Start!!  Can't wait to read more!

Thanks Carol. Glad you're reading along.

Something else I forgot to comment on before. Were you really trying to catch a whiff of the creek when you opened your window and stuck your head out? Or were you by chance trying to get a whiff of fresh air because some one had Ohaaanaaaed? In our car it would most likely be the latter. :rofl2: :rofl3:

I am sure there were numerous Ohanas during the trip but I always wonder how and why certain places and things get their names.

Someone at some point thought the creek stunk I am sure and then they named it based on that fact.  I am amused easily.

I'm in.  Oh and you can stop trying to get a whiff of Stinking Creek. It doesn't stink anymore.  The story goes a little over 230 years ago there was a creek named Sugar Creek by the settlers that harvested Maple sap from the trees that grow there.  One unusually cold winter large numbers of the settler's live stock died of exposure. Not having tractors and backhoes like we do now they had no way of burying such a large  quantity of animals so they put them in the creek hoping they would all wash away.  (Major Fail) Well come spring and summer the local Indians started calling it Stinking Creek and it stuck.  

Wow.

And there is my answer folks.

That is a great story!

Now somebody explain to me how Big Bonelick State Park got its name.

or maybe don't explain it.

12-6-13

In the morning we had the Hampton Inn breakfast.......they have an awesome breakfast with a zillion different options.  The hotel is always clean and the beds are very comfortable.  We always stay there when we need an overnight break.

Here we are on the way to the family truckster to hit the open road again:

/s1078.photobucket.com/user/acirish11/media/12-5-13%20WDW%20Trip%20Driving%2012-6%20arrival/IMG_5686_zps54f63eec.jpg.html'>IMG_5686_zps54f63eec.jpg

We only had five miles until Florida so we got to the state line quickly:

IMG_5687_zpscf2f0010.jpg

IMG_5688_zpsb520c00b.jpg

IMG_5689_zpsccb4bfda.jpg

IMG_5690_zps4508fe84.jpg

IMG_5691_zpsfa268efb.jpg

It has been tradition since I was a wee laddie to stop at the Welcome Center and get the free glass of OJ.  Not the fake welcome center that is still in Georgia......the real deal is after you cross the border into Florida:

IMG_5692_zpsc204947c.jpg

IMG_5693_zps14996555.jpg

IMG_5694_zps0690fc47.jpg

IMG_5695_zpsdeede4ad.jpg

That is a soldier in the background working with a disabled veterans group.

IMG_5696_zps53ee5a0e.jpg

My son wanted to talk to the soldier. So he walked over and thanked him for his service.  We gave him a donation and chatted for a moment while he was setting up for the day and then went inside.

IMG_5697_zps32a832b4.jpg

IMG_5698_zps3918ef81.jpg

IMG_5699_zpsc98f2ec2.jpg

IMG_5700_zpsf0abc5fb.jpg

IMG_5701_zps79c6194a.jpg

That was just a quick update to keep this moving along....

So 5 miles after you started for the day, and right after breakfast, you stop for free OJ.  

I love it.   :waycool:

Tradition is well......tradition. 

Enjoy that oj, if someone doesn't find a cure for this greening we have there may not be much more oj from Florida. My crop this year was about 50% of last years, We cannot continue to lose money.

I didn't know much about "greening".  I looked it up last night after reading this post.  I hope someone figures out how to get it under control. 

I always need coffee.  LOL

You know, in all our trips we have never stopped for the free OJ.  Better put that on the to-do list.

The kids love to stop there and get free OJ and grab Disney brochures.  It's the little things sometimes.

Cute that you keep up that tradition! 

But they have orange and blue paint lines on the parking spaces. We can't stop there. 

Park on the lines and burn some rubber on top of them when you leave.  Nothing like defacing the other teams colors and monuments.  Just ask the Auburn tree killer.

Glad to see the kiddo honor a soldier.  That was my favorite part.   :heart:

The kids have a healthy respect for our armed forces.  They stand and hold their hands over their hearts during the national anthem when we watch sports on TV.......in our house. 

Great update. 960 miles in one day. Omg!

That's a lot of miles in one day. How many hours did you drive that first day?

I love it when kids thanks our soldiers. He learned that somewhere. Good job.

I believe we arrived at the hotel at about 8pm so roughly 14 hours on day one.

Thanks Ray.

I'm in.

Page 2 bragging rights.

Glad to see that you're already in Florida.

Let the magic begin!

TCD

Glad you made it.  Does your absence yesterday mean more bonus features in your trip report?

12-6-13 (continued)

When we went back outside we saw the soldier was just about set up for the donation drive:

IMG_5702_zpse37aff58.jpg

We got back on the road and you'll see we were cruising along at 72mph.  But wait do you see the temperature?

IMG_5703_zpse7707baa.jpg

Is this heaven?  No it's Iowa.  Er.....I mean Florida!

After passing a lot of orange groves and having no clue that they were having problems with "greening", we were getting close:

IMG_5704_zps1f849675.jpg

IMG_5705_zps2b720c48.jpg

IMG_5706_zps13225fe2.jpg

IMG_5707_zps78aed572.jpg

IMG_5708_zpsbf33ff7c.jpg

As we got closer to our destination, we noticed about a ka-ba-gillion turkey vultures flying overhead.  The pics will not do the numbers justice:

IMG_5709_zpsef29f9db.jpg

IMG_5710_zps99e5beb4.jpg

I was wondering if maybe a Brazilian Tour Group had been lost for several days in the wilderness with no water or something?

Maybe?

Oh well, on our way again:

IMG_5711_zpsd8e62d48.jpg

IMG_5712_zps3c943ada.jpg

IMG_5713_zpsae668292.jpg

IMG_5714_zpsecb5ab08.jpg

IMG_5715_zps981d87ae.jpg

IMG_5716_zpsd7866b9b.jpg

IMG_5717_zps967a05c4.jpg

IMG_5718_zps4fd7bdbc.jpg

and..............................................................

relax.......

IMG_5719_zps750b268a.jpg

IMG_5720_zps77f52b08.jpg

IMG_5721_zpsbca7badb.jpg

IMG_5722_zps8bbcc0c4.jpg

IMG_5723_zpsec54b1d3.jpg

IMG_5724_zps63bec317.jpg

Next we head to our site and start Fortin' around.

960 from our house.....probably 950 from downtown Ann Arbor.  It sucks but I like having the short drive on day two.

Hats off to you!  Our longest day ever in the moho was 750 miles.  Home to Port St. Lucie, FL, where our son and his family were living.  We vowed never to do it again.

I love to stop at the Welcome Center for free OJ.  Missed it last year when we took the train to WWW.  Missed it this year becasue Nicki was waiting for the Carolina Girlz in a hotel in Daytona and was very bored watching "Say Yes to the Dress" on TV.  LOL

Great pictures from the truck.  I tried to take pictures with Loretta's phone as we pulled in, but I am obviously not a good photographer.

Looking forward to more!