The TCD Gang Springs Forward at the Fort- A Spring Break 2014 TR

Time flies.

It's already March.

Which meant it was time for Mrs. TCD to break out the March photo frame, which she did:

3614796_zps1459aedd.jpg

She has 12 of those.

One for each month.

A new one comes out each month.

The have some great photos in them.

Like this one:

3614797_zps04cb78ec.jpg

That's Mrs. TCD and Twin #1.

At the Fort.

In March.

Some time in the late '90's.

Time flies.

The TCD girls are all in college now.

And, Spring Break was already upon us.

We discussed this when we were at the Fort over New Year's Eve.

The University of Florida had spring break last week.  FSU and Auburn have spring break this week.  Those breaks would overlap over a weekend.

And we decided that was a weekend we needed to spend at the Fort.

So we did.

Twin #1 was home all week, and we decided to kick things off by heading over on Thursday, March 6.  Twin #2 would drive down from Tallahassee on Friday the 7th, and big sister would fly in on Saturday the 8th.

Complicated.

But, our lives are complicated now.

I have never had much use for the professional weather forecasters in Florida.  They seem to be wrong more than they are right.  So, I tried not to worry about the forecast last week that said Thursday would be a rainy day.

Unfortunately for me, they were right this time.

It started raining in the morning, and didn't stop.  We had planned to leave at around 10, but pushed back our departure because it was raining so hard.  But, since it didn't show any signs of stopping, we headed east at around 11.

It poured the whole way there, and was still raining as we approached the magical WDW gates a little past 1 pm:

3614001_zpsc63d388d.jpg

Personally, I prefer bright blue skies to greet us when we arrive.  Not this:

3614002_zpsa015d4f6.jpg

3614003_zps14fd51b4.jpg

I couldn't even see the MK gates until we got closer:

3614004_zps7c2bc94e.jpg

3614005_zps31d4e168.jpg

On the bright side, there were no lines of guests trying to get in this afternoon:

3614006_zps8a89cb3f.jpg

We arrived to a very soggy Fort:

3614010_zps77a8b8c3.jpg

The flowers liked it, though:

3614011_zps73ee6418.jpg

We had our choice of check-in lanes:

3614012_zps1f94b6ec.jpg

Another good thing about the rain was that I couldn't see the Four Seasons buildings from the check-in lanes:

3614013_zpsa0ef1822.jpg

I had been able to get a AAA rate on a preferred site, so we went with that.  I was pleased to hear that we were assigned to the 100 loop, and I headed there.  It was still raining, so instead of going ahead and setting up, I dropped the camper at the site, and Twin #1 and I headed to the Lodge for lunch.  I was hoping that the rain might stop at some point, and I could set up then. 

Here we are at the Lodge- it did look like the sky was clearing:

3614014_zps42d8b0eb.jpg

I tired to take a selfie with the buffalo topiary in the background.  This is actually pretty good for me, but I blocked the buffalo with my big head:

3614015_zps5b231f31.jpg

They always have a very nice garden planted here near the Lodge entrance:

3614016_zps98182824.jpg

Beautiful.

Since we were at the Lodge, and it was a rainy day, I had to go with the chili:

3614017_zpsf6e3f6a2.jpg

Twin #1 went with the chicken noodle.  We also split one of those magic bars.  Awesome lunch!

It was time for me to go and get set up.  But it was still raining.  We decided that Twin #1 would go and do some shopping and looking around at the MK, and I would go get drenched.

So she headed to the MK.

And I headed back to the Fort. 

And put on my poncho and got busy.

Have I ever mentioned that it's good to be TCD?

Well it is.

Because no sooner had I gotten out of the truck and got ready to be soaked, it stopped raining.

And I got to set up without being drenched.

After a while, here's how things looked:

3614018_zps0b8799dc.jpg

Do you see that site marker there?

It says 113.

I forgot to mention that we were right next door. 

In 114:

3614019_zps572ef397.jpg

This was very weird.

That's a famous site.

Which used to be occupied by a good friend of TCD for the winter months.

But, now here I am.

Right next to this path:

3614020_zps5d9a528d.jpg

The back of our site was right across from the Settlement Trading Post- look, there's the TCD hammock, and the poncho I didn't need hanging from the tarp pole:

3614022_zpsf61222ce.jpg

Here's a look down that path toward the 100 loop-there's the TCD screen room there on the left:

3614023_zpsb67ea3b0.jpg

And here's a look over to our site from the end of the golf cart path:

3614024_zps111fa125.jpg

That path was rather soggy, but the rain had stopped:

3614025_zps2e0d9595.jpg

Twin #1 came back from the MK about now. She just walked from the marina to our site.  Pretty sweet.  In fact, this is the closest campsite to the marina.  Closer than the Settlement Bus Stop by a long shot.

We did a little looping.

I picked up a cable kit for the old TV that I use inside the camper. They had plenty available this time.  The kit I got was new.  So that's good.

I also bought us some new refillable mugs.  I wasn't going to.  But, with the Trail's End drink machine so close, I figured we would get our money's worth.

The plan for dinner tonight was to eat at a quick serve in the MK.  Twin #2 wasn't going to arrive until some time tomorrow, so we would need to put off the traditional first night fried chicken dinner until then.

But, then there was a change in plans.

Twin #2 texted and said her Friday class was cancelled.  So she was going to drive down tonight.  She wouldn't arrive until around 11, but we figured she could eat a piece of chicken then.

So, we ordered our Giddyap and Go chicken diner (GAG).

And toured the horse barn while we waited for our beeper to beep.

As was already reported by Grumpy Dave, the calliope is back:

3614027_zps9d48d03d.jpg

3614028_zps354c0248.jpg

That's good.

But, the button that you're supposed to push to play the scratchy tape of the calliope playing does not work.  Fail.

After that, we still had not been paged, so we went down to the marina.  Last week, there was a post here from Devores mentioning that there was an announcement on the CM site advising that there would be a private fireworks show at Clementine's Beach at the Fort on Thursday, March 6.  Which was tonight!  But, the way it had rained all day, there was no way they could have set up for a private party and fireworks show, plus the updated forecast said it wasn't done raining for the night.  So, I wasn't surprised to see the beach empty:

3614029_zps3f296b02.jpg

Whatever that party was supposed to be, it was rained out.

Twin #1 said she had seen a sign at the dock when she came back from the MK.  Maybe that said something about the Fort boats not running for a period this evening?  Nope:

3614030_zpsd0ef4972.jpg

Look- there's a new fishing poster at the marina:

3614032_zps8b6ef128.jpg

Sorry, but that poster reminds me of the old Berlin Olympics posters.  I do not approve.

For my good friend, DIT:

3614033_zps961742c6.jpg

This trip was getting off to a good start:

3614034_zpsc5fd9444.jpg

So, are you in?

You might be thinking:  "didn't I just read a TCD trip report in January?"

"This one can't have anything new in it."

If you think that, you're wrong.

I have lots of new stuff to report.  And, there were several things (I can think of four big ones right now) that we did on this trip for the first time ever.  What could there possibly be at WDW that the TCD gang has never done?  There are at least four big things. You'll see.

But, only if you read.

I hereby declare First Page Bragging Rights are now available.

Act fast.

TCD

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, leave Beckers alone, she knows exactly what she's doing. She's my new favorite Fiend.

I have seen them training docking at the Fort. That provided one of the best photos I've ever taken    

I love Agents of Shield. It's really the only show we watch as a family. They are getting ready to start a 7 episode run to the season finale this week! Can't wait! Off topic but my 10 year old dd is

I am here!! First page and only the third to repy!  This has never happenbed before!

and I knew there was a typo but didn't want to take the time to correct it just in case someone posted ahead of me and made my 4 instead of three.

Now I am 3 and 5.    

Firstly, I love Mrs. TCD's frame of the month idea.  Genius. 

Secondly, The contrast between Twin 1 being small in the framed photo contrasted with her all grown up was very touching.  Time flies too quickly.

Thirdly, I would say sorry about the rain, but, a rainy day at WDW is better than any day anywhere else. 

Page 1! 

You know what that usually means? 

I accidentally post several more times and use up all the page one bragging rights spots. j

But I am REALLY going to try to restrain myself this time. 

Well, mainly because I'm about to go into a bunch of meetings and will be tied up long enought that y'all will be moved on to pages 2 and 3. 

But just for the record...I could screw all of you page one posers if I wanted to. 

Rainy fort pics are sad. I demand better weather for happier pics!

No way!  Rainy Fort pictures are good.  They mean someone is at the Fort.  Probably, if I am looking at the pictures, it is someone I know and like.  And that means someone I know and like has been at the Fort.  And that makes me happy.  Almost as happy as when I am at the Fort. :D