I am a pediatric RN so hopefully I can help a bit. There should be a case coordinator assigned to you when you are admitted. They will be able to help you arrange housing if it's needed. If there is a Ronald McDonald nearby they can help get you a room. There is also Homeawayboston.org. They are a non profit organization that helps families find temporary housing around Mass General.

I know on our floor we also have a list of nearby long stay hotels that offer discounted rates for families.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMHO, it would be unwise to drive a motorhome NORTH during Feb/Mar timeframe, especially with this cold weather / snow storm that is currently moving W to E into New England.  Motorhomes are tough eno

I am a pediatric RN so hopefully I can help a bit. There should be a case coordinator assigned to you when you are admitted. They will be able to help you arrange housing if it's needed. If there is a

I know of 2 campgrounds in NH that are open year round. Not sure if they will be too far for you...   Friendly Beaver Campground in New Boston, NH - about 90 minutes or so from Boston http://www.frien

I know of 2 campgrounds in NH that are open year round. Not sure if they will be too far for you...

Friendly Beaver Campground in New Boston, NH - about 90 minutes or so from Boston

http://www.friendlybeaver.com/

Meredith Woods in Meredith NH - about 2 hours from Boston

http://www.meredithwoods.com/index.html

Also these are the winter camping tips from their site...

Extra Items to Pack for Winter Camping

Plenty of warm extra clothes.

A milk crate and four one gallon jugs make a convenient way to carry and dispense water

An electric heater just in case; oil filled radiator types are best, but if you're tight on space a 1500 watt cube heater works well.

An old rug or mat for outside the door.

Paper and/or plastic plates, cups etc. to save on dish washing.

RV antifreeze to winterize the traps on your sink drains at the end of the weekend.

Boards for under your leveling jacks.

Winter Setup

Place boards under jacks so the jacks don't become frozen to ground during your stay.

Unless you have heated holding tanks make sure your drain hose has a good constant pitch and no dips and leave holding tank valves open.

Minimize the length of cable and electric wire on the ground (warm black wires tend to melt into the snow)

During your stay

When heating liquids run your fan and open a window to minimize condensation.

Use the campground restrooms whenever possible.  When using the RV bathroom use plenty of water to flush.

Packing Up

Run some hot water through both holding tanks to minimize any ice buildup and to make the drain hose more flexible to remove.

Remove or raise jacks. Its OK to leave the boards if they are frozen in.

Put antifreeze down any sink or shower traps you may have used. Put a little in the toilet so the gasket on the flapper won't freeze.

That's awesome. Printing that little checklist.

See if you can find one of these at your local Wal-Mart for the utility compartment. We use 2 one in the water tank compartment as well. Keeps things from freezing.

http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/Lasko-Products-My-Heat-Personal-Heater/16503222

Thank you everyone. For the tips and prayers. We ended up in canoe river campground with the camper this afternoon. We just needed a landing point. They only have electric now, but it will work. We actually are staying in the city and my parents stayed out with the camper. Luckily we have it because it looks like we also might have to hit Columbia in New York and Johns Hopkins on this trip. What a long drive and temperature change. I have to say one of the coolest things we've done is we stopped at liberty harbor campground. Pulled in at about 1230 am last night what a view. Campground only had about 6 campers in it. In this stressful time being able to step out this morning and see the Statue of Liberty from our front door was pretty neat. To bad we had to load up and get on the road so quick. Thanks again for all the tips and thanks for the prayers. We are most likely going to move the camper to a place in the city soon wih the firefighters help.

Just remember that your RV has "lived" in Florida all these years and will not be used to the cold weather.  We have found this out the hard way.  Watch little things like light bulbs, especially the brake lights and turn signals, as they will prematurely burn out because of the weather change.  (just went through that)  Also, keep a close eye on your water lines daily, especially if the temps go down below 30.  Our RV lived in Florida its whole life and this winter has not been a friend, even though we have been using it.  Just make sure you check all your systems often, because what might be a norm for up there will not be a norm for you.

Also, you have my prayers.  My son visits a Children's Hospital twice a month.  I hope he gets better soon.

Stitch fan are you a pediatric RN at mass general. That's where we're going. Thank you also for the info on rooms. We definitely want to be close to the hospital.

No I'm actually at a children's hospital in the DFW area. I'm glad to hear y'all got set up safely and comfortably!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Prayers for you and your family.

And be careful if you ride the T.  Back in 1959 the Kingston Trio had a song about the dangers of a fare increase while you are on it.  This could only happen in BOSTON.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP1bvY7IqZY

Back in 1959 the Kingston Trio had a song about the dangers of a fare increase while you are on it.  This could only happen in BOSTON.

Living 30 minutes north of Boston at that time, unfortunately, or fortunately, I remember when it was called the MTA, and when the song was a hit.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the prayers. Sorry I dropped off the face of the earth without any updates. We made it up and back from boston. Were back at home now but continue to travel. He has a rare medical condition that uses different hospitals throughout the country. So lots of travels in our future. Thanks again for all the prayers.