I saw mention of a Fort Wilderness railroad spike. Is there anyway to get one?

Yes there is.

But you have to be nice to a grumpy old bus driver. Lol

The best way to get one is to post when your going to be at the fort and your site number and you'll more than likely get a visit from said bus driver.

Welcome. We got "spiked" last year.  It was an occasion to be cherished.  I later found a slightly larger spike in my basement.  Don't know where it came from, or how it got in my basement.

TCD, Are there different sized spikes from the FWRR?

Thank you for your replies. We will be at the Fort from May 4 -May 16. May 5 is my husband's birthday. His retirement goal is to move to Orlando and ride the Magic Kingdom train everyday. I will post our space number when I get it.

That's a good start.  You have two posts now!  Go Red!

Now, you need to go to this thread and introduce yourself:  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/199-please-introduce-yourself/

And keep on posting!

The more you post, the better your chances that the spike fairy will visit.

Welcome. We got "spiked" last year.  It was an occasion to be cherished.  I later found a slightly larger spike in my basement.  Don't know where it came from, or how it got in my basement.

TCD, Are there different sized spikes from the FWRR?

I've seen a lot of FWRR spikes, and they are only one size.

What makes them unique is that they're smaller than standard railroad spikes.

The MK train uses standard sized spikes.  As does the train at AK.  But, you shouldn't have one of those spikes.  They're needed to keep the tracks in place.

TCD

Some of us like to be a little smart a#% sometimes so just remember we are saying "rude" things out of love.

Not so much "rude" as ... Snarky! 

:purpleflam:

WELCOME RED!

...oh and some of us are a wee bit more than a little smart a#% - but you'll figure the cast of characters out pretty quickly  8)

Our FWRR spike is 4.5 inches from below the head to the tip.  The other one is 6 inches, and slightly heavier pike dimensions.

Edit:  Googled "Railroad Spike Dimensions".  Found my 6 in spike is likely the largest RR spike in use.  The writeup also says the square shape of the spike gives it a MUCH greater holding power than a similar round spike with the same amount of metal in it.  It stated 50% more, although tests have varied from 800+ to over 4000 pounds of removal force.  

Yes there is.

But you have to be nice to a grumpy old bus driver. Lol

Or another grumpy Fiend

One of our Fiends goes wandering looking for FW RR Spikes and hands them out to Fiends

Yes he does, but there is also a Spikers Helper.

Not so much "rude" as ... Snarky! 

.oh and some of us are a wee bit more than a little smart a#% - but you'll figure the cast of characters out pretty quickly  

Never rude, always just Snarky. And by now you've probably figured out that Mo is the wee bit more smart a#%.

Our FWRR spike is 4.5 inches from below the head to the tip.  The other one is 6 inches, and slightly heavier pike dimensions.

Edit:  Googled "Railroad Spike Dimensions".  Found my 6 in spike is likely the largest RR spike in use.  The writeup also says the square shape of the spike gives it a MUCH greater holding power than a similar round spike with the same amount of metal in it.  It stated 50% more, although tests have varied from 800+ to over 4000 pounds of removal force.  

I can attest to the need for removal force for the FWRR spikes, which are square.

TCD

• 1 month later...