• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The dragon was in a cold place and hungry. Everyone knows fat guys in ear muffs make the best eating. He's not controlling her. He's trying to get out before the gears grind him up and feed him to the

Yes, she had a free weekend, and she used it to visit Ireland.  See details below.     Thanks for the link.  Did you see the webcam?  It shows that this is a super-busy intersection.  Twin #1's photo

I don't read TRs. And y'all need to stay off the buses!!!

TCD,

Thanks for all the reporting, we haven't tried the FP+ yet but I've been keeping up with it and I'm not looking forward to it at all. 

We were like you and many others, we knew how to work the old system and could fill our days with tons of rides we actually wanted to ride and we didn't have to book them 30-60 days in advance.  I really don't like how they've turned a Disney vacation into a trip that requires a detailed itinerary that has to be planned in advance.  Dinner reservations were bad enough but now I have to do rides too, WTF.

And another thing, we've always had a rule that Disney was a phone free zone.  We never took our phones with us into the parks, we liked being disconnected, we looked at details and made conversation with each other and strangers while in line, but if we have to carry our phones it's going to be difficult to disconnect and not check our phones.  We really don't like that part, I know I don't have to have a phone to take advantage of the MDE+ but if it helps us avoid another line at a kiosk we'll bring it.

On another note, I've been to Paris twice and really like it and recommend it to everyone!  The French weren't near as bad as I had expected, actually I don't think we had any bad experiences in France or Italy.  If you learn a few French greetings and customs they don't treat you as a rude American. lol

I agree with GDF-Kelly, I'm pro-world traveling.

WBI

The whole MDE/FP+ thing isn't all bad.  Just many parts of it are.  I've pretty much stopped using the app in the parks, because it will completely drain your battery in just a few hours.  If you make your reservations ahead of time, and screen cap them, then you don't need to access the app while you're in the parks.  Even though using the kiosks is currently a PITA, they are there, and the CM's there can help you make changes if needed.  Those kiosks work better than the app (which isn't saying much).

Since y'all have Prince William, you need to familiarize yourself with the Rider Swap option for the rides with height requirements.  With a little effort there, y'all could gather lots of extra paper FP's to use during a trip.  The Rider Swap deal is a major loophole that folks with kids who don't meet height requirements can exploit.

I figure young people probably get a pass from the French.  Just keep a low profile, and don't act too American.  I know I'd have a hard time there.

I'm pro-world traveling too.  As long as it's in the Caribbean.  Gotta have my warm weather and view of the ocean, preferably from an aft balcony cabin!

I've done a lot of traveling in the Caribbean as well.  Too much actually.  I've seen enough islands to last me a good while.

I went to Paris in 1981 for a long weekend.  It was horrible.  I would try my high school French  - they would respond in English with an insulted glare.  The gendarmes even gave us wrong directions.

When I was in college, my boyfriend told me we would marry in Austria and honeymoon in Paris.  I told him no way was I ever going back to Paris.  (Nope, never did marry him.)

Oh, and don't get me started on the hole in the floor they called a toilet.  That is not a euphemism.  There was a hole in the floor.  And a curtain.  Nope, no way.

I am hoping they have come a long way since then and Twin #1 has a great time.  But I am happy to never go there again.

Wow, Marty.  Are you trying to say you didn't like Paris?

So far, so good, for Twin #1.  She's on a trip with the UF School of Journalism, and they seem to know what they're doing .  The hotel she's in is nice.  She hasn't mentioned the toilet, so I assume it's a bit nicer than the one you had.

She says the people are nice.

BTW, anyone thinking conspiracy?

The president spends billions on a health care system and the computers don't do what they are supposed to.

WDW spends millions on MDE and FP+ and people seem to be complaining that it isn't nearly as user friendly as thye were lead to believe.

Did they use the same programmers??

No, I don't think conspiracy.

I think that the problem is there is one group dreaming up what the program is supposed to do, and then another group trying to figure out how to make it work.

The second group doesn't understand the nuances of what guests really want- they're just trying to deliver what the dreamers have dreamt-up.

What we have in both cases is just plain old incompetence.

I went to Paris in 2008, pre Z. The best part.... it was a free trip! See Mr. GDF and I were crazy enough to take a group of high school students to Italy and Greece that year. I handpicked the kids though, and he and I got to go for free. I even got to bring my little brother who was the age of the kids 17-18 for half price. It was awesome, and I'm still close with those kids and some of their parents to this day. We just went to a wedding of one of them and we're going to another this summer. They've all graduated from college and moved on to great things. But I digress.... to prepare me for that trip, they sent me to Paris, also for free. I enjoyed it. But I also enjoyed Italy and Greece with 12 teens, 3 adults, and a tour guide. Maybe I'm crazy. I will tell you something though.... there is joy in witnessing young people "see history" and really get it. Awesome memories. 

Thanks for the Josh and GDF shout out. He's posted some wait time charts pre and post FP+. Have you seen them? Pretty interesting. 

What a great deal for you and Mr. GDF.  I've often though leading groups like this is a sweet gig.  The trip Twin #1 is on is sponsored by UF.  There is a group of professors who lead this trip each year.  So they get paid to go, and the cost of their trip is probably covered as well.  What a deal.

I took a look at your boyfriend's site.  I guess he's saying that FP+ has created longer waits at all the attractions?  If that's his point (I'm never quite sure), then I agree. 

You got her trained good, one of the first post was about food.

True.

I have another food photo to share from this morning.

All I can picture with those macaws flying over people's heads is the pooping factor.  I don't think that would make for a very magical experience.

That actually reminds me of a funny story I will share because it's Disney related.  When my older two girls were little we went for their first ride on Thunder Mountain.  My oldest made the height requirement but the next one just missed it.  Well she pitched a royal fit.  I took her over to the exit of the ride so we could look for the others riding and she continued to pitch her little temper tantrum.  It was horrible.

All of a sudden she stops and looks up at me like 'What just happened?'  A bird had pooped square on the top of her head.  I had to stifle my laughter but I thought what goes around, comes around.

LOL.

I thought the same thing.  Plus, what happens if some guest is shocked by a bird flying over his head and walks into a tree or one of those rock statues they have everywhere?

Thanks for sharing the bird poop story.  That bird did a good job!

You just had to re-post this......

It was too good not to.

And now it's been reposted again.

Thanks for that.

TCD

He has charts showing how FP+ has increased standby waits at smaller attractions... Pirates, HM, IASW, Mission Space, etc. 

Charts?

The dude made charts?

I don't know what it is that you see in that guy.

I don't need no stinkin' chart to tell you it's true.

Fifty minutes standby at Small World?  In early May?  When the kids are all in school?

Not good.

Summer will not be pretty.

TCD

I'm sure she noticed that purely for research purposes.

Well, she is almost 19.

When I was 18, the legal drinking age in Florida was 18.  And I drank as often as I could. Much more than I do now.  In fact, as I tell the girls, I pretty much had it out of my system by the time I was 21.

We follow the law at home, and the girls know that.  In France, she can legally drink, so we told her to go for it.

In moderation, of course.

TCD

Let's pick it back up with the photos from the second day trip we've been discussing in this report.

Sunday, May 4th.

We left off standing in line at BOG.

The line was a bit longer than I would have liked, but it always moves quick.

Today, I couldn't help but notice that there were more folks strolling in with the BOG FP+ roses than the previous week.  That doesn't help move the standby line.

But, before long, we were on the actual bridge.  It isn't long once you get on the bridge.  Usually.

The empty trains kept coming out of the tunnel at the top of the Mine Train ride:

5414065_zpsb254105f.jpg

Here's an empty one going over the bridge:

5414066_zps393a9a7d.jpg

And a couple more Mine Train rides for good measure:

5414067_zpsd2026223.jpg

5414068_zpsb3394dff.jpg

Just before each train emerged from the tunnel, we could hear the "Heigh Ho" song being played.  So, it must turn on and off as each car travels through the dark ride part of the ride.  I'll bet that will be annoying to the CM's who have to work here outside BOG every day.

The bridge between BOG and Belle's village:

5414069_zps48822f8b.jpg

The line kept moving, and we finally made it in to that glorious air conditioning.

Of course, we were assigned to a check-out terminal behind a family that had somehow waited in that long line and walked past the menus posted in the last part of the line, but still had no clue what they wanted to order.  How is that possible?

No worries, though, the wait is worth it, and at this point in the journey, we were in air conditioned comfort.  So, we just enjoyed the free display of incredible stupidity.

It was truly remarkable.

In addition to the food and the air conditioning, another thing I love about BOG is that since they regulate the line, when you have finished ordering and paying, you will find a clean and ready place to sit. Always.  That alone makes the wait worth it.  Try that at your local food court.

We always sit in the main ballroom.  Always.  Here we are at 12:34, waiting for our lunch.  Remember, we got in line at 11:42:

5414070_zps25fa65c9.jpg

At 12:37, this dish was placed before me:

5414072_zps390ec747.jpg

That's the braised pork.  There used to be more pork and less beans.  But, you know how that goes.  The food was hot.  And delicious.  If you're keeping track, I ate the same exact thing the previous Sunday.  And, if you want to know the truth, I would gladly eat another dishful of that right now if I could.  What I'm trying to say is that I like the Braised Pork at BOG.  A lot.

The girls both had what they always have- the turkey sandwich:

5414073_zps7f3b46a2.jpg

I've had the turkey sandwich before. And it's good.  The best turkey sandwich anywhere in WDW. 

This quick serve lunch is far and away the best quick serve location anywhere in WDW.   No contest. 

Yes, we waited a long time today.  But, we showed up at 11:45.  I'll bet it would have taken us a half hour to order and get our food at the singing alien's place.  And there just is no comparison.

There was a small issue with Twin #2's plate.  There was no ketchup for the fries.  This is a fancy joint, they don't have ketchup bottles on the tables.  If you order fries, you get a small ramekin on your plate with ketchup in it.  My older DD got one.  Twin #2 didn't.  When the CM asked if there was anything else we needed, Twin #2 said yes, ketchup.  The CM said she needed to go over to the CM standing by the drink machines and ask her.  So she did.  There's a mini fridge hidden there with a big tray of ramekins full of ketchup.  There's a free tip for you in case you run out of ketchup in BOG.  Also, just in case- they have mustard in there too.

This confirmed something for me.  The first few times we went to BOG, I left a small tip on the table.  But, I never noticed anyone else tipping.  Now I don't.  The CM's who bring your food do only that. If you want something else- tough, go get it yourself.  Fine.  I understand that now.  But no tip for you.  Thanks, I'll buy myself a Mickey Premium Bar instead.  Win/Win.

We enjoyed our lunch.  What a great atmosphere that place has.

We were cooled off and energized, and ready to tackle our first FP+ reservation.  It was for Big Thunder, so we headed that way.

Look at all the guests going to Tom Sawyer's island.  What's up with that?  Who goes there?;

5414074_zps7f58d7f7.jpg

This mess you see here is the FP+ return line.  You have to stand in line to use your FP+ to skip the line.  Thanks Disney:

5414075_zps919ba6e0.jpg

Once you get past that initial line, the FP+ line moves all the way with no stops until you get to the ramps that lead down to the loading area.  So that's good.  If you have a FP+.

We rode Big Thunder, and were done by about 1:50.  We knew that we wanted to find a place in shade to watch the FOF parade, and that we probably should allow an hour for that.  Since we had more than an hour, I had the bright idea of taking the train to the Main Street station and then walking up Main Street to find our spot.  So, that's what we did.

Here we are on the train, looking at the Splash Mountain queue-as you can see, it was busy:

5414076_zps3b881694.jpg

Big Thunder, as seen from the train:

5414077_zps47f6101f.jpg

Possums!:

5414078_zpse04afa76.jpg

Rattlesnake v. Road Runner!:

5414079_zps2d1a5c23.jpg

The Storybook Circus stop-we stayed on:

5414080_zps3c862bd3.jpg

We made it to Main Street, and it was just a bit after two.  There was a solid row of guests already staked out along the upper deck of the train station.  We could have stood behind them, but we decided to move on and look for a better spot.

There were plenty of open seats on our right as we walked down Main Street -but they were in direct sun, and there were no clouds- so that would be a brutal place to sit for an hour.  On our left, there were some open spots, but they were in places where there was no shade.  We sat in one of these spots, but after just a few minutes we were roasting, and decided to go find a place in the shade in Frontierland.  We walked the entire route from Liberty Square to the end of Frontierland, and every spot that had shade was taken.  I guess we should have planned for more than an hour for a shady spot.  We found a kind of shady spot near the Shootin' Gallery, and took it.

Before long, the Grand Marshalls came by:

5414081_zpseccff987.jpg

5414082_zpsc34db21b.jpg

Look, there are Hidden Mickeys on the tires:

5414083_zpsd66edd29.jpg

Man, that sun was hot!

It made the wait seem much longer than it was. Finally, we heard the music, and the parade began:

5414084_zps7589be04.jpg

Remember how we were discussing the weird elements of this parade- like the mechanical dragon and the wind-up whale?  The girls and I discussed these things over lunch, and Twin #2 gave me her take- which she said came from something she had read.  She said what is going on in this parade is that all the residents of New Fantasyland are traveling to a Festival to celebrate their new land.  They all made their own travel plans, and built the floats that we see in the parade.  Not bad.  That could explain everything that we see.  I'll go with that.

So, here come the princesses in the garden- remember last week, the back part of the float with Tiana and the Frozen girls was not spinning?  Well, today it was and we could see that as the float approached:

5414088_zps9b9e81f8.jpg

The two spinning elements on the float were spinning so fast that we couldn't get a good look at the princesses on them. Cinderella came and went quickly:

5414089_zps2c1b0ea9.jpg

And the Frozen girls made me dizzy just looking at them:

5414090_zps1d154008.jpg

5414091_zpsaf830db7.jpg

Here's a quick shot of Cinderella as she spun:

5414092_zpse7b765cd.jpg

This big rose bush is a problem:

5414094_zpscad78f2d.jpg

I don't think there's one on the other side of the float.  Take that into consideration when you pick which side of the street you want to sit on.

There's Tiana:

5414096_zpsab393f02.jpg

What's this guy's name?  Ulf?  I was hoping he'd stay out there in the middle of the road this time:

5414099_zps80a440c1.jpg

Uh-oh.  He spotted me:

5414100_zpsc5220422.jpg

Fortunately, he stayed away this time.

I was scared there for a minute though.

Here comes the Tangled float again.  So, I guess what we have here is that the guys from the tavern helped build this boat, and they all hopped on for the ride:

5414103_zpsd78cdd43.jpg

Flynn and Maximus.  You get more Flynn action on the other side of the street.  Just sayin':

5414104_zpsd720846b.jpg

We need to stop here.

We'll finish up the parade in the next update, and then move on to our next FP+ experience.

TCD

We went to Paris for two days on our honeymoon trip; the people were not all that welcoming to tourists. We went to one little cafe for a late dinner and got blown off repeatedly, until my wife cleared her throat and ripped the server a new one in fluent and heated French. See, she lived in Paris for a while and had both worked and gone to school in France at different times.

Service was much better after that.

I like your daughter's explanation. Let's go with it. 

It works for me.

And, it's consistent with the official explanation given in the most recent Mickey Monitor.  Check out the next update for more on that.

That's exactly what I thought!

Love the Eiffel Tower selfie.

So, three of us thought of poop bombs from the macaws.  Scary.

I like that selfie too.  I have another Paris photo to share in the next update.

We went to Paris for two days on our honeymoon trip; the people were not all that welcoming to tourists. We went to one little cafe for a late dinner and got blown off repeatedly, until my wife cleared her throat and ripped the server a new one in fluent and heated French. See, she lived in Paris for a while and had both worked and gone to school in France at different times.

Service was much better after that.

I've heard so many stories about how rude the French are that I accepted that that's the way they all are.

Twin #1 is not encountering any of that.  At least not so far.

That creme brûlée looks so good! And, I can't go to BOG without ordering the pork. That's my favorite meal in that park.

If I ever go to Paris, I definitely will be trying the crème brulee. 

I have tried all of the sandwiches on the BOG menu, but the pork is my go to dish as well.  It's the best quick serve meal in all of WDW.

The food looks good.

It really is.

The best quick serve food in WDW.

TCD has a thing for light fixtures and girls from Nepal!

True on both counts.

Anytime I see an interesting light fixture or Nepalese lady, I'm talking a picture.  You can take that to the bank.

TCD

We need an update.

But first, here's a new France photo from Twin #1.  It's a group of Gators doing the Chomp in front of some French building.  I don't know which building this is.  If I had to guess, I am going to say it's the Ministry of White Flag Waving and Cowering:

francegatorchomp_zps05c07ce6.jpg

Now, back to the subject at hand.

We've been looking at the Festival of Fantasy parade.  Earlier in this thread, there was discussion about how some of the floats didn't make sense.  Well, this issue is addressed in the latest issue of the Passholder newsletter, the Mickey Monitor.  My summer 2014 edition arrived yesterday:

MickeyMonitorSummer2014001_zps667aef45.j

It included a little article about the new parade:

MickeyMonitorSummer2014002_zps72d29dc1.j

MickeyMonitorSummer2014003_zpsb6b400e2.j

Here's a couple of photos of the article so you can read it yourself:

MickeyMonitorSummer2014004_zps7ce260a7.j

MickeyMonitorSummer2014005_zps988bbbc5.j

I guess that's as good of an explanation as we're going to get.

TCD

Man - I get the DVC magazine, but don't get the Mickey Monitor, even though we are passholders.  I'll have to figure that out.  Looks like a worthy magazine.

Loving the TR, but especially loving the Paris pics!  If I'm remembering right, the wine was cheaper than cokes on my last trip (but that was about 3 decades ago, so who knows now).  But it was very yummy.

Man - I get the DVC magazine, but don't get the Mickey Monitor, even though we are passholders.  I'll have to figure that out.  Looks like a worthy magazine.

X2, I got to check into it also.

I hope my Mickey Monitor arrives today.  Thanks for the info!

Don't get too excited.

It really didn't have anything noteworthy in it.

No special passholder events or special offers (other than resort discounts which don't apply to the campsites).

I think that new Paris photo might be of the Paris Opera House - a side view.

Opera?

Ewwww.

Loving the TR, but especially loving the Paris pics!  If I'm remembering right, the wine was cheaper than cokes on my last trip (but that was about 3 decades ago, so who knows now).  But it was very yummy.

It's unbelievable how bad the service for passholders is.  You ought to call and ask them to get you on the list.  They also post PDF versions on the passholder section of the official Disney site (I looked and this one isn't posted yet-it's still the Spring 2014 one).

Wine is cheaper than coke too?

That reminds me- I got a text from my DD yesterday asking what the name of the beer was that I had tried when we ate dinner at BOG.  I told her it was a Kronenbourg 1664,  and then she texted me this photo:

frenchbeer_zpsef7416d2.jpeg

She got a lot of wine recommendations from a friend of hers who visited Paris last year.

X2, I got to check into it also.

Like I told Leslie, call and ask.  I don't know what's so hard about mailing out these magazines, but they mess it up all the time.

I think you're right.  That's the entrance that tour groups use.  

I hope the phantom didn't get her.  

I don't think they went in.  They are going to see a play in London, though.

TCD

We need an update.

We're still watching the FOF parade.

Still looking at the Tangled float-

Here's your basic thug from the Snuggly Duckling:

5414105_zpsa12bde47.jpg

Here's the backside of Maximus:

5414106_zps7d78fa78.jpg

We talked about the skeleton motif going on on this float.  There's a skeleton in a coffin on the back.  Why?  I can't tell you:

5414107_zps3707261b.jpg

Here are some of those vibrant costumes that Steven Davison was talking about in that Mickey Monitor article:

5414108_zps049b9844.jpg

I have to admit this one is very vibrant:

5414109_zpse48e0af6.jpg

I don't remember the Ariel float spewing out bubbles before, but the bubble machine was cranking today:

5414110_zpscb7171a1.jpg

5414111_zps76210a10.jpg

5414113_zps105d5db7.jpg

Today wasn't quite as hot as last Sunday, but the Seahorse guys still looked like heat stroke was imminent:

5414114_zps82c6c019.jpg

I didn't know that the costumes on these lost boys were inspired by the Broadway play Newsies.  But now I do:

5414116_zps0b23ead1.jpg

The Peter Pan float doesn't look like something that Peter and Wendy built:

5414117_zps12b2a71c.jpg

Captain Hook was not swinging today- he was just standing there on the anchor:

5414119_zps940a99e0.jpg

I am certainly not the greatest expert on this subject, but I'm pretty sure this Tinkerbell is not a dude:

5414120_zps0dbf22a3.jpg

5414121_zps3cdb38ca.jpg

Poor Mr. Smee was still walking:

5414122_zpsc10621cc.jpg

Go Gata:

5414123_zps6188e0cd.jpg

The Scottish Dancers.  The darker-skinned ones from south Scotland still have those sweet wigs:

5414124_zpsda9c424c.jpg

I still don't know why Merida and Ariel get floats to themselves:

5414125_zps7877b83f.jpg

Look at the target there on the side of the float:

5414126_zpsb1757f99.jpg

Now look again:

5414127_zps2ec8590b.jpg

The bears' heads turn, and their eyes blink:

5414128_zps85b401fa.jpg

5414129_zps143da71e.jpg

Another bear is up in one of the pipes- the bear hiding behind the target is there at the bottom right of this photo:

5414130_zpsf7bc3711.jpg

The third bear is hiding in the pipe on the right in this photo:

5414131_zps1a995f8c.jpg

I think these animatronic bears are the same ones which used to meet with Merida at her meet and greet in the MK.  They are the same size and have the same movements.  Now we know why they were removed.

Here come the fairies from Sleeping Beauty.  The TCD daughters with me today confirmed that the first time we saw the parade, these ladies did not roll around like they do now- they just walked like normal.

5414133_zps169422df.jpg

Now, they spin around and zip up and down the street- which makes it look like they're flying.  I can't understand how they control whatever it is their riding on.  But, take a closer look at the magic wand in this one's hand- see the wires?:

fairies_zps3c574df0.jpg

It seems like the wands operate as joysticks, and they control where they're going with them.

Pretty cool technology.

Uh-oh.

Here comes that dragon and her entourage:

5414136_zpsdbfb80c7.jpg

Another bird guy:

5414137_zpscd14615b.jpg

More stilt guys:

5414138_zpsde440c2f.jpg

And, finally, the dragon:

5414139_zps230f5c31.jpg

My two goals at this point were to get a shot of the dragon breathing fire, and a shot of the dragon pilot.

You will see how I did in the next update.

If this is too much parade for you, we will get the parade photos wrapped up in the next update, and then move on.

TCD