A Shining New Era is Tiptoeing Nearer for the TCD Gang

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo that makes me smile.   The backstory on this is that one of Twin #2's roommates ended up being a "friend of" Stitch.  She told Twin #2 to come visit her in Tomorrowland one day, and the

Leia is definitely following you. At least it is the 1983 version following you and not the 2014 version.

I'm in...  page 5 ?    I need to stop working and spend more time here...   Thanks for the princess photos. 

I thought you cruised right after you graduated high school?  That couldn't have been in 1999.  You must have had at least half your kids by then.

TCD

Your'e right on the money.  I went on my cruise 11 months after my third was born.

Sorry your camera died, but really good job on the selfie.

That fancy woodwork is called gingerbread and most was made by hand by ship carpenters. Unless the rules have changed, when big cruise ships wanted to stop at Key West they had to agree to be away from the dock before sunset. I agree the sunsets at Mallory Dock are not the best, we stayed on Conch Key, just north of Marathon and the dock went out in the gulf. Nothing to spoil the view of the sunset.

If you all want to see gorgeous sunsets, forget the tropical islands.  Go up to Buffalo.  Head just a bit south of downtown along Lake Erie.  Find a spot right on the lake , because from Buffalo looking west the sun sets right over the water.  I grew up on that lake, and the sunsets are spectacular, primarily because of all the pollution in the air from Detroit.  (actually, between the loss of manufacturing jobs and the darn EPA, it might not be as good anymore).  But that pollution made the sky just glow with the most beautiful colors.  

All caught up!

Fun TR you have going here. I've never been to Key West, but I'm staying at Old Key West next week. That's got to be about the same, don't you think?

I actually loved the atmosphere at OKW last time we stayed there, so I have to think I'd enjoy the real deal. One day I hope to get Ray down there for a long weekend during the winter - escape the yucky cold up here and thaw out.

We have bad luck with underwater cameras. So, I buy the cheapest ones I can find.

Sorry to hear about the camera. I'm with Kelli and Dave - we've had good luck recently with underwater cameras. I think they are doing a better job making them. If you're going to replace it and if it's not too late, I'd definitely look at getting one that's not the cheapest. Go with a Canon or Nikon and I bet it will last a few good years of pretty hard usage.

Oops there goes another rubber tree plant:

61714126_zps90484849.jpg

Now I've got that song stuck in my mind!

Sorry about the camera.  I was looking forward to more fish pictures.  It's amazing that they sell an item to be used underwater, that ends up damaged by the water.

I guess that's how it goes. This was one of the last Kodak cameras. I think I paid $79 for it, and used it for two summers.

We have also had a problem with the fact that these cameras don't float. A floating handle solved that problem.

I never have luck with water proof cameras either. But at least you were able to get a few pics. That's a prize winning selfie you managed to get before it broke!

Thanks.

I guess it's true that you get what you pay for. This next time, I guess I'll have to spend a bit more.

I've had good luck with a regular camera protected by an AquaPac:  http://usstore.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/waterproof-camera-cases.html

Those things make me nervous. I see lots of kids with iPhones in that kind of thing. I'd rather lose a cheap underwater camera.

Great pics while the camera lasted!

Free drinks. Nice!

Please see DIT's post below regarding the free drinks.

Are those free drinks like free dining at Disney?

More like the free Mickey Mouse Premium Bars on the Disney Cruise.

Your'e right on the money.  I went on my cruise 11 months after my third was born.

Sorry your camera died, but really good job on the selfie.

Wow, I guess your husband was down with that plan. That was nice of him to let you go.

Good job on the selfie!!

We tried snorkeling once. Guess what? When you are claustrophobic and scared to death of drowning in the open ocean, it's a bad idea! Pretty sure some crying may have been involved. I know only snorkel when I can stand.

Sorry about your snorkeling experience. We love to snorkel. Maybe give it a try someplace safe and easy like at Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon, or Discovery Cove.

I'm impressed with the snorkel selfie.

I think I told you to buy a Canon underwater camera last time. I still have the first one I bought that is now Z's camera. If it can survive him, it can survive you.

I think you did tell be to go with a Canon. And, I should have listened. Those cheap ones always tempt me, though.

I have a Nikon underwater camera that I bought before our Disney cruise and it's still going strong.  In fact, all the pictures on our recent vacation were taken with it.

I'll look at Nikons too.

Actually, I have already been looking. I was surprised to see that Coleman has gotten into the underwater camera business. I hadn't heard of that. There a bunch of Coleman cameras for sale on Amazon.

TCD

I agree with you at least on this.

What do you mean "at least"?   :rofl3:

Should I have said at last?

Well that's no better!   :rofl3:

I'm thinking that Michael probably likes the new Little Mermaid ride, and the Main Street Electrical Parade, and other fun stuff that DIT hates.  That's what I figure he meant.

That fancy woodwork is called gingerbread and most was made by hand by ship carpenters. Unless the rules have changed, when big cruise ships wanted to stop at Key West they had to agree to be away from the dock before sunset. I agree the sunsets at Mallory Dock are not the best, we stayed on Conch Key, just north of Marathon and the dock went out in the gulf. Nothing to spoil the view of the sunset.

Our Conch Train guide mentioned how the old houses were mostly built by ship carpenters.  He also pointed out how close they are together, and how they all have metal roofs.  The metal roofs apparently came into play after a big fire with sparks from one house landing on the roof of the next and igniting it.

I didn't think about them wanting the cruise ships out before sunset.  We were actually at Mallory Square once when the Disney Magic was docked there, and got to watch it leave right before the sunset celebration.  This was in December, so sunset was much earlier than it was on this trip in June.

I want to make a trip where I stay on a few different Keys on the way to Key West.  Did you like where you stayed on Conch Key?  We did spend the night once on Key Largo, and were going to snorkel at John Pennekamp SP, but the weather ended up being too rough for us to go out.

If you all want to see gorgeous sunsets, forget the tropical islands.  Go up to Buffalo.  Head just a bit south of downtown along Lake Erie.  Find a spot right on the lake , because from Buffalo looking west the sun sets right over the water.  I grew up on that lake, and the sunsets are spectacular, primarily because of all the pollution in the air from Detroit.  (actually, between the loss of manufacturing jobs and the darn EPA, it might not be as good anymore).  But that pollution made the sky just glow with the most beautiful colors.

If I ever find myself in Buffalo, I will make a point to watch the sunset after I get some chicken wings.

All caught up!

Fun TR you have going here. I've never been to Key West, but I'm staying at Old Key West next week. That's got to be about the same, don't you think?

I actually loved the atmosphere at OKW last time we stayed there, so I have to think I'd enjoy the real deal. One day I hope to get Ray down there for a long weekend during the winter - escape the yucky cold up here and thaw out.

If you get a chance to go to Key West, you really ought to. Unfortunately, Southwest just dropped their routes there, so airfare is ridiculous. At least it was when we looked at it for this trip.

I highly recommend the drive- maybe fly into Miami and rent a convertible? That would be fun.

I intend to visit the OKW resort the next chance I get. I have to believe that it is a much romanticized version of the real thing. The real thing is kind of dirty and edgy. In a good way.

Sorry to hear about the camera. I'm with Kelli and Dave - we've had good luck recently with underwater cameras. I think they are doing a better job making them. If you're going to replace it and if it's not too late, I'd definitely look at getting one that's not the cheapest. Go with a Canon or Nikon and I bet it will last a few good years of pretty hard usage.

I should have learned my lesson. But, those cheap Coleman cameras are catching my eye.

Now I've got that song stuck in my mind!

You and me both. I apologize. I shouldn't have done that.

I don't think I'd trust my vacation photos to Coleman.

My ice cold beer, maybe.

But not my pictures.

LOL.

My camper is a Coleman, and it has served me well. Of course, it wasn't Coleman that actually built it.

These cameras are no doubt made in China and the Coleman name is slapped on.

TCD

Whoa, I'm finally all caught up, great trip report with tons to see!

I had lots of comments but forgot most of them....

I've been to Key West quite a few times, I've driven a lot from Naples usually for overnight trips, kind of crazy but typically one night on Duval was all we wanted anyway.  I've done Tamiami Trail and Alligator Alley, I prefer the Alley, but TT is nice for a change for a change of pace.

I've also taken the Key West Express a couple times from Fort Myers, that was a good deal 10 years ago but now its gotten expensive.

My first trip down was when my mom took me and my sister there a long time ago, probably 25 years ago.  We flew into Miami, rented a car, and drove and tent camped our way through the keys.  Sadly I don't remember most of it but I give my mom props for doing it!  She did say the mosquitos were so bad in our tent near Key West that we left in the middle of the night and got a hotel room. lol

I agree with about Irish Kevin's, it usually has the best guitar player to sing along with, and Sloppy Joe's is our favorite for dancing, but someone how Hog's Breath became our go to for sitting at the bar.  Once a few years ago, when going to sleep, we said hey lets go to Key West tomorrow, so we woke up super early, drove 5 hours and were having a beer at Hog's Breath when they opened sometime before 11am.  Those were there the days :)

I've never snorkeled in Key West, I guess I should have done that, lol.  We do always laugh when people thing Key West is some super nice place with beautiful beaches, I know I expected that, but truly they have some horrible beaches there.

Ok  I'll stop the Key West talk, looking forward to more!

WBI

Whoa, I'm finally all caught up, great trip report with tons to see!

I had lots of comments but forgot most of them....

I've been to Key West quite a few times, I've driven a lot from Naples usually for overnight trips, kind of crazy but typically one night on Duval was all we wanted anyway.  I've done Tamiami Trail and Alligator Alley, I prefer the Alley, but TT is nice for a change for a change of pace.

I've also taken the Key West Express a couple times from Fort Myers, that was a good deal 10 years ago but now its gotten expensive.

My first trip down was when my mom took me and my sister there a long time ago, probably 25 years ago.  We flew into Miami, rented a car, and drove and tent camped our way through the keys.  Sadly I don't remember most of it but I give my mom props for doing it!  She did say the mosquitos were so bad in our tent near Key West that we left in the middle of the night and got a hotel room. lol

I agree with about Irish Kevin's, it usually has the best guitar player to sing along with, and Sloppy Joe's is our favorite for dancing, but someone how Hog's Breath became our go to for sitting at the bar.  Once a few years ago, when going to sleep, we said hey lets go to Key West tomorrow, so we woke up super early, drove 5 hours and were having a beer at Hog's Breath when they opened sometime before 11am.  Those were there the days :)

I've never snorkeled in Key West, I guess I should have done that, lol.  We do always laugh when people thing Key West is some super nice place with beautiful beaches, I know I expected that, but truly they have some horrible beaches there.

Ok  I'll stop the Key West talk, looking forward to more!

WBI

Great comments, Nick.  Thanks for sharing.  I want to try that Key West Express some time. The dock was right down the street from where we were staying.  For us though, after driving to Fort Myers, I feel like I may as well drive the rest of the way.

Camping your way down the Keys sounds like a blast.  Props to your mom.

I swear that Hog's Breath has changed locations.  It  was much closer to the west end of Duval Street than I remember.

I didn't know they had their own language, it sounds a lot like English.

Another good one.

You didn't know that? It sounds a lot like English but its actually Conchenese and comes from their time as an independent country the Conch Republic.

True story.

WBI

LOL. I never knew the whole story about the origin of the Conch Republic. Twin #1 asked me about it, and I couldn't really tell her, I just remember hearing about it when it happened. When we got back, we read up on it. It's an odd story. Which fits. It's an odd place.

TCD

We left off with the snorkeling photos.

After that, we headed back to the house and chilled for a bit.  I would have been happy to hang out by the pool and drink some beers, but that is not how this crew rolls.

We have made family trips in the past where we rented a beach house for a week, and chilled.  We'd go to the beach, have some supper, and call it a day.  Every day the same.  I loved it.  The cousins don't.  They want action.

So, we spent the whole morning snorkeling, and then we were going to see a couple of the major tourist attractions in the afternoon.

When you buy a ticket for the Conch Train, you get the second day free, so we planned to take the Conch Train to where we were going.  What we didn't know then is that the Conch Train is slow, and not the most efficient way to get around the island.  So, most of the cousins opted to walk.  Grandma wanted to ride the train.  Fine with me,  I'd rather ride than walk, even if it takes twice or three times as long.  It was a hot afternoon.

Here we are back on the Conch Train.  New driver.  New corny jokes.  No bell this time.  Just awkward silence after the jokes. This place looked interesting, and wasn't far from the house, but we never made it back to see the junk for sale:

61714135_zps08f6ee8f.jpg

61714136_zps124e3d9d.jpg

I didn't know it at the time, but this shack houses the Cuban Coffee Queen, which is a popular place in Key West.  We will be back here later:

61714137_zpsed251ad4.jpg

I didn't catch the whole story on this building, like what it is for example, but our driver did tell us that the artist Wyland is painting the mural on it for free:

61714138_zps40d5a994.jpg

61714139_zps66634e2e.jpg

Does the artist's name sound familiar?

This Wyland (I guess he goes by just the last name now that he's hit it big) is the same Wyland who operated that weird art gallery that just shut down at the Polynesian Resort at WDW.  I did a little Google research on this guy, and was surprised to find that he isn't that old of a man, and has studios all over the place.  I guess enough people buy thousand dollar dolphin paintings to keep the lights on.  Also, he apparently still has a gallery at the Boardwalk in WDW.  Who knew?

Here's another old church:

61714143_zpsa4cb3bb7.jpg

We did some more driving around, and had to switch trains, before we finally arrived at our first destination.  It took us well over an hour, and probably would have taken only 15 minutes to walk.  But, I like the Conch Train.  I would have ridden it more if I had the chance.  The second driver we had pointed out different things from the first one.  I found most of it interesting.

Any way, this is the first thing we came to see:

61714145_zpsc50af786.jpg

That's the Key West lighthouse.  As I shared earlier, this thing freaked me out the last time we were here, and I hadn't climbed another lighthouse since.  The TCD girls had been teasing me for months about this before this trip.  They all predicted that I wouldn't climb it again.  Just Twin #1 was here to be my witness.

I had decided long before this moment that I was going to climb this stupid lighthouse.  Look at it.  It isn't even that tall.  Why should I be afraid of it?  So, I headed right up.  As fast as I could, so I didn't have time to think about it.

And, here I was the view from the top:

61714147_zps64314cf5.jpg

Look at all the Royal Poinciana trees!

I actually liked being up top.  I wasn't looking forward to the descent. That's where I freaked out last time. I think it's because it's a confined space, and the stairs feel very rickety.  They are wrought iron, and old.  And you can see all the way down inside the lighthouse if you care to look.

But, I just sucked it up and did it.  I didn't like it one bit, and I felt like I was going to fall the whole time.  But, I made it.

This is my triumph photo from the ground:

61714149_zpsdff2d5c6.jpg

Did I mention that it was a hot day?  Well it was.  And there is no AC in that lighthouse.  Only one window.  I was drenched with sweat, and apparently my face was red.  Twin #1 later told me that she had briefly thought that I wasn't going to make it after that.  But I did.

They had a little museum next to the lighthouse.  With AC. I wanted to stay in there for a couple of hours and cool off.  But, the cousins were in and out in 5 minutes.  Boring, they said. This time, they were right.

Next up, we had to go to Ernest Hemmingway's house.  He is one of Key West's most famous former residents.  Maybe the most famous.  We've never spent the money to go in his house, but Grandma actually had been there before, and this is one of the places she wanted to see. So we went.

Guess what?  Ernest didn't have air conditioning, and the curators of the property wish to keep it authentic, so the house still doesn't.  Oy.  it was hot in there!  They did have the windows open and giant fans. but that didn't help much at all.

They had tour guides who looked like Ernest available to give guided tours, but the cousins weren't having that.  The plan was to go in and out as quickly as possible.  I'd hate to see these kids at the Smithsonian. 

Anyway, Ernest's house isn't all that interesting. This is the first room we entered:

61714150_zps33204cb0.jpg

The big item on display in this room was this ship model, which apparently is a model of a ship that Ernest had built for himself:

61714151_zps8c26d2f4.jpg

There was a four page letter next to the model that explained in excruciating detail about it and the boat.  I will spare you and only post a photo of the first page, which will give you and idea of its content:

61714152_zpsa42105bc.jpg

Can you see the date on the letter?  It's from 1996.  The way it looked and was written, I thought it was from the 1940's.  Boring.

I guess the most famous thing about Ernest's house is that it is occupied by cats.  Not just any cats.  Six-toed cats. And they're everywhere:

61714153_zpsc43a3a7c.jpg

Let me set this scene for you:  It's got to be 90 degrees in that house.  With fans blowing around the hot air.  Have you ever been in a Cat Lady's house?  That's what was going on here.  Fortunately, this room had a door that opened up onto a porch, and I headed that way.  No more Ernest Hemmingway house for me.

It smelled much better, and was much cooler out there on the porch.  The porch looked over the entry way, where there was a planter shaped like a boat, as is explained here:

61714154_zps4d2ca565.jpg

Yup, it looks like a boat alright:

61714155_zpsec2a58a3.jpg

Here's one of the freak cats.  We found out later that this cat is named Harry S. Truman.  Don't miss his freaky feet:

61714156_zps78db2dfe.jpg

61714157_zps96b9c9ef.jpg

61714158_zpsed6f930f.jpg

Out back, we got to see Ernest's big a** swimming pool, which is explained in this sign:

61714160_zps48ddefde.jpg

61714161_zps9e9965e1.jpg

I had not cooled off from the lighthouse, and that hot smelly house hadn't helped things.  I can't tell you how much I wanted to jump in the pool, and there were no signs that said not to:

61714162_zps11f98fa8.jpg

In the end, I decided not to.  I was afraid I might be detained in the house, and there was no way a dip in the pool was worth that.

Twin #1 asked if she could have a smashed penny since Ernest looked like a Swamp Ape on the one. Of course, I said yes:

61714163_zpscae07efe.jpg

Seriously, though, couldn't they have gotten a better artist to draw Ernest for the smashed penny?

At this point, we had snorkeled, climbed the lighthouse, and been exposed to the noxious fumes of the Ernest Hemingway Cat Freak Sanctuary.  Time to go back to the house and crack a beer, right?

Nope.

We were going to dine out tonight.

Only we had no reservations, and hadn't even agreed on a place yet.

Did I mention that I dislike traveling with a large group.

We had gotten a couple of recommendations of restaurants.

So, we loaded grandma into a cab, and headed to one.

This is it, a very nice place right on the water, but not a speck of shade at the outdoor tables, and that sun was still hot:

61714165_zpsdae020fb.jpg

You see that island over there?  It's called Sunset Key.  There are vacation cottages over there-some of which are for rent.  You can only get there by boat.  Looks really nice:

61714166_zps5a7dccba.jpg

We decided that sitting out in the hot sun wouldn't work, so we found a place near there that is in an old cigar factory.  It serves Cuban food, and they could seat us all right away.  There was some grumbling, but that's where we ate. Personally, I loved it.

We ate on this end of Duval Street so we would be here at Mallory Square for the sunset. Twin #1 and I went to check on the cat man.  We found him setting up.  That's him in the yellow socks:

61714168_zps9606917b.jpg

I really wanted to see a cat jump through a hoop of fire, so I wanted to wait.  The cousins didn't. They wanted to get a good spot to watch the sunset.  So, just Twin #1 and I hung back to watch the can man.  Oh, and Mrs. TCD too.  A small crowd gathered, and cat man finally began. Look, there's a cat walking there on the ground:

61714171_zpscbb96072.jpg

Then he had this cat walk like they were doing a wheelbarrow race:

61714172_zps4483f2a6.jpg

The cat man was really dragging this out.  Finally, we saw an actual trick, where this cat walked across the widest tightrope I've ever seen:

61714173_zps19f6ffed.jpg

After that cat jumped down, it walked out to a guy in the audience, who tried to pet it, and the cat bit him!  Now, the show was getting good.

But, still no signs of hoops of fire, and the sun was setting fast.

So we bailed and joined the rest of the family.

Here's your basic Key West sunset photo:

61714174_zpsbf0b6c83.jpg

The group watching the sunset:

61714175_zps9c53ddd1.jpg

After sunset, we stayed around for a bit to watch the performers.  All of them seem to involve unsafe quantities of lighter fluid.

Then it was back to the house.

I finally got to crack that beer, and we called it a night.

Tomorrow, the plan was to terrorize tour the island via scooter and electric car.

TCD