A Shining New Era is Tiptoeing Nearer for the TCD Gang

If you see her, please don't distract her from work.  That is a busy place, and there are a lot of college program CM's there. She knows other DCP CM's who applied and were not accepted to work there, so she doesn't want to lose her gig. They are supposed to have fun with the guests, but no goofing off with each other, or interacting with guests unless they are selling them something. 

TCD

TCD thanks for the tip and I promise not to do anything that would harm your daughters work.  I think it is awesome that she loves Disney so much and is doing very well at her job.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo that makes me smile.   The backstory on this is that one of Twin #2's roommates ended up being a "friend of" Stitch.  She told Twin #2 to come visit her in Tomorrowland one day, and the

Leia is definitely following you. At least it is the 1983 version following you and not the 2014 version.

I'm in...  page 5 ?    I need to stop working and spend more time here...   Thanks for the princess photos. 

Thanks. Unfortunately, they are only together at the same time a few times a year now. But, it's really nice when they do get together. Like all siblings, there were times when they used to get on each other's nerves. That doesn't happen anymore.  Well, most of the time it doesn't.

TCD

The part about them not getting on each other's nerves, at least most of the time, is so great to hear.  I can actually see that coming down the horizon for us.  With Danielle being just a couple of weeks away from leaving us for school, she and Jodi are getting along better than they have in many, many years.  So nice.  That's why I'm loving seeing your girls together and looking so close.

Even if I had a washer and dryer I think I'd just check out a clean and pressed uniform. Who wants to have to do more laundry than necessary at any time and particularly at Disney.

Yeah, I remembered the part about the 2 weeks because it seemed so unlikely. She was really excited about it. I feel sorry for her when she finds out the truth. But I hope she does get to go back. 

I agree.  Some of those costumes you couldn't wash at home anyway.  Twin #2 is lucky that she has a car.  They do provide bus service to the College Program CM's, but I feel sorry for the kids that have to take a bus to get their costumes, and then to work, then back to the apartment. 

Twin #2 has already investigated what is required to become a seasonal CM, and the word on the street is that it's best to do that before your College Program time ends.  The issue that she will have is that she is going to need a place to stay close to Disney when that time comes.  I have already pointed out that I could bring the camper over for one of those half-priced FW sites.  This actually could work- as they need the seasonal folks around the holidays.  I could park the camper there for a few weeks, and she could stay there.  I don't think we would come out ahead in that equation financially, but it would be fun.

TCD thanks for the tip and I promise not to do anything that would harm your daughters work.  I think it is awesome that she loves Disney so much and is doing very well at her job.

I am really not worried about you, Jon.  Your trip reports show that you know how to treat a princess.  Plus, it's not easy to find her even when I know where she's supposed to be.  CM's move around from register to register, so there are several places she could be, including in the break room, when you visit.  And that's if she's even working the day you visit.  Since it's a Friday, it's likely she will be working some time that day.  If you see her, feel free to say hello- like Lonestar did when he spotter her in the Emporium.

The part about them not getting on each other's nerves, at least most of the time, is so great to hear.  I can actually see that coming down the horizon for us.  With Danielle being just a couple of weeks away from leaving us for school, she and Jodi are getting along better than they have in many, many years.  So nice.  That's why I'm loving seeing your girls together and looking so close.

My own sisters are closer now than when they were growing up, and the age difference and other issues were more pronounced.  I see that happening with the girls now.  But, they still have their moments.  We had one the last time we were together, and we were soon laughing about it.  Like, "where did that come from?"

TCD

When we took the Keys to the kingdom tour they showed us costuming and it was in the tunnels (I think?) and every piece had a barcode and there was a scanner and a bin for returns. They scanned each item and tossed it in the return bin before getting new ones.

Was that for CM costumes, or the costumes the characters wear?

TCD

I thought regular CM but my memory is foggy it was a longggg time ago

I'm thinking that the costumes the "friends of the characters" and princesses wear must stay in the parks- they couldn't have college kids running around with Mickey and Elsa costumes and such.

I can't imagine that they would have the space to stock all the costumes they need for all the merchandise, attractions, custodial, food service etc. CM's at each park.  Plus, where would they all change from their street clothes to the costumes?

Twin #2 gets dressed at her apartment and shows up in her costume for work, and wears that back to the apartment afterwards.  I haven't heard any mention of picking up or dropping off costumes in parks.  I have no doubt that you saw something related to costumes in the tunnels on your tour, but it must be for some special category of CM.

TCD

Hey-that's a really good photo.  I wonder who took it?

Yeah, I wonder.

He and his twin brother had just been hired a seasonal CM's, and this was their first assignment. 

I've met one of them.

What I do know is that there is a big warehouse behind the MK where CM's go to pick up their uniforms. As far as I know, there's just this one location, and they all have to go there to get them.

There are many costuming locations scattered throughout WDW.

Stand alone costuming locations like the one behind the MK, service the park plus some shared services. There are other locations in or near TTC, Epcot, AK, DHS, DTD, and maybe a few more.

Resorts also have their own costuming location, and two of them also supply BB and TL costumes.

Positions like bus driving have multiple locations where they can pick up their costumes.

Can you imagine the logistics of operating a place that has to provide thousands of different uniforms for people of all shapes and sizes every single day?

Because it's split up, each location handles only a certain number of different costumes. It's still a lot, but it's not every costume at WDW.

All dirty costumes go to a central location for cleaning and pressing. They're delivered property wide in lowboy trailers.

Every costume item has a RFID tag embedded in it, so keeping track of everything is partially automated and seamless. It works well.

From what I understand, CM's have the option of cleaning and pressing their own uniforms, or they can visit the warehouse and exchange a couple of uniforms at a time for clean and pressed ones.

Full time CMs can take out 5 sets of costumes. Part time CMs are allowed 3 sets and they do have the option of having Disney clean and press them or taking them home.

I've always clean and pressed my costumes myself because size consistency and condition are iffy.

they are checked out with the CM ID, and the CM's can be charged for not returning them.

They're charged if they don't return everything that was taken out by the CM when they leave the company or transfer to another dept.

Even if I had a washer and dryer I think I'd just check out a clean and pressed uniform. Who wants to have to do more laundry than necessary at any time and particularly at Disney.

Some CMs do let Disney do the cleaning and pressing, but a lot don't.

When I first became a CM almost two decades ago, we didn't have the option. You couldn't take them home.

Yeah, I remembered the part about the 2 weeks because it seemed so unlikely. She was really excited about it. I feel sorry for her when she finds out the truth. But I hope she does get to go back. 

I think she has some mis-info. It sounds to good to be true.

When we took the Keys to the kingdom tour they showed us costuming and it was in the tunnels

Not saying that there definitely isn't one, but if there is a CM costuming location in the Utilidors, I've never noticed it.

every piece had a barcode and there was a scanner and a bin for returns. They scanned each item and tossed it in the return bin before getting new ones.

They mainly use RFID technology now. It's quicker to take costumes out because you don't need to scan each piece separately. It does them all at once.

It was barcode technology, and even now, some accessories that can't be imbedded with a RFID tag still use a barcode.

Thanks for all the detailed information, Lou.

I thought I remembered you saying that you take care of your own uniforms (of as Disney calls them- costumes).  I think I would do the same- I'd rather not be wearing items worn by hundreds of other people.

Twin #2 has only mentioned the place behind the MK, but she very well could be going to multiple locations. The poor kid works so much, that we don't get a chance to have an actual conversation with her that often, and when we do, we try to focus on her rather than me pumping her for details about her job.

TCD

• 2 weeks later...

The taking costumes home, has been a recent change in the last 10 years or so. There was a big hubbub about it on the discussion groups about "ruining" the magic, seeing your CM in costume picking up beer at the local store, etc. etc.

But I can see the huge labor savings because CMs used to have to go to costuming every shift, get changed, go to their shift, go back to costuming, and change again, all on the clock. Now they can pretty much go directly to their work location.

You probably heard that correctly; they have also made a recent costume I wore (Disney Store).

Interesting.  Is any of the apparel sold at the Disney Stores manufactured by Land's End?  Why doesn't Disney just use its own sweat shops to make the CM costumes?

The taking costumes home, has been a recent change in the last 10 years or so. There was a big hubbub about it on the discussion groups about "ruining" the magic, seeing your CM in costume picking up beer at the local store, etc. etc.

But I can see the huge labor savings because CMs used to have to go to costuming every shift, get changed, go to their shift, go back to costuming, and change again, all on the clock. Now they can pretty much go directly to their work location.

I always enjoy stopping at the Hess station at the Car Care Center on the way out of the MK.  Easily half the customers there are in CM costumes.

At the off-site fast food places around the CP apartments, almost everyone you see is in a WDW costume.

When I worked for six glad if we had wardrobe clearance we weren't supposed to do stuff in uniform but everyone did.

I'm not sure what the rules are at WDW, but from what I've seen, it must be OK for CM's to go out in public in their costumes.

TCD

Well, we have finally reached the beginning of the end of this TR.

Yesterday, the last part of the new era that we've been tiptoeing toward for three months arrived.

GDF called it.

This week, Twin #1  will be joining Twin #2 as a Disney College Program CM:

81814102_zps72154902.jpg

I just moved Twin #1 into her Disney apartment yesterday.  This week, she will go through the requirements of becoming a CM, including Traditions.

She is in the unique situation of not knowing her exact role at this time, but she will know it by the end of the week.

In a bit, I will back up and give you a short update about this visit to WDW.

TCD