THE TRIP DL via PC 7126 miles total

After a very, very nice weekend with the entire family, all three kids, their spouses and all 8 grands we're back and we continue with Japans plan for the Canal.

I think this was the most interesting presentation that the Capt gave since it was totally classified information until 2005. 

Japan had some very disastrous plans for the Canal and luckily the war ended when it did or they may have successed in causing major damage and actually draining the lake.

100_4051.jpg

Here is a picture of Japan's mastermind when it came to Naval operations and ships.

100_4050.jpg

Here is a picture of the USS Segundo which was the Submarine that "caught" what at the time was the largest submarine ever made.  The Segundo began her fifth and final war patrol on 10 August in the Sea of Okhotsk. Ordered to proceed to Tokyo Bay on 24 August, the ship was proceeding south when she picked up a Japanese Sen Toku class I-401 submarine and was told to be sure the Japanese sub knew that the war was over. The two subs played cat and mouse for a while then the Capt. of the Segundo decided enough was enough and proceeded to stop and board the  I-401.

100_4052.jpg

Here is the 401.

100_4053.jpg

Here are the specifications for the 400 class sub. As was mentioned the largest sub ever built.

100_4054.jpg

A sketch of the 401 at sea.

100_4057.jpg

The operating specs for the 401.

100_4059.jpg

Here is a cross section of the 401, notice that is has several fuel tanks. What is that on top an aircraft hangar?. Yep, a sub that launched aircraft and that is what was going to destroy the Panama Canal and other West Coast targets. 

100_4060.jpg

Here is a picture of more Japanese technology. What look like pipes are actually electronic/electro magnectic counter measures that they developed to help avoid detection.

100_4061.jpg

Here are several sketches showing how the planes where carried on the carrier.

100_4063.jpg100_4064.jpg

A picture of the workers and military personnel in the hangar tube. This was confiscated from the Japanese after the war.

100_4066.jpg

How the plane folded to fit into the hangar tube.

100_4067.jpg

The plan

100_4068.jpg

Their map (spoils of war) showing the points of attack along the West Coast.

100_4069.jpg

A model of the 401 and the Serian ready to take off.  Hey wait aren't those American markings on the plane? Also notice no pontoons or landing gear. Can you say "Kamikaze"?

100_4070.jpg

That was the sinister plan. 

100_4071.jpg

The planes would be launched from the sub, fly Northward just South of Panama and then come into the Canal Zone from the Atlantic.  Whoever was on watch would say, "Hey that must be one of our new planes!" As it turns out that is why the 401 was playing "cat and mouse" with the Segundo.  The Japanese were dumping the planes over the side. Had they been caught with the planes, with American markings, Japan would have been charged with War Crimes.  Using the markings of you adversary on your equipment is a violation of the Geneva Convention. 

100_4073.jpg

Here is a sub tender with several subs along side.

100_4074.jpg

Another with a much larger sub fleet.

100_4075.jpg

Here is the 401 tied up in Pearl Harbor along side other captured subs.

100_4076.jpg

As it turns out in 1946 we sank all the captured subs especially all the 400 I class that Japan had after we got the technology we wanted. (I was a little slow getting the pic as he started to change slides) And remember all this info was only released 9 years ago.

100_4079.jpg

As it turns out our ally Russia was just as sneaky. They wanted to buy B-29's from the U.S. but we said no.

100_4077.jpg

Several B-29's landed in Russia. Wasn't it nice of Russia when they put the flight crews up in very high class hotel?  Wrong!

100_4078.jpg

Look at what Russia introduced in 1946. 

100_4080.jpg

Hey isn't that a B-29 with Russian markings? Wonder how that happened? Seems that while the B-29 crews were being entertained Russia got all the info and pics they needed.

100_4081.jpg

Here are several more pictures of the Japanese Serian in other configurations.

100_4082.jpg100_4083.jpg

That evening we had the Disney Entertainers celebrate musicals as we:

100_4704.jpg

Up next we stop at Puerto Vallarta.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did I leave the curtain open? :rotfl6:

The big day finally arrives and the question is:    Here is our anticipated schedule.   Arriving Gatun Locks                                  approx  7:30 am Departing Gatun Locks                    

Let me guess.....they quit??     :rofl2:

Wow, Dave.  Thanks for that extremely informational post.  That Jap sub was a monster.

So, the plan was to just kamikaze the lock gates?

Yes.  After Dave's post yesterday I did some research online and it's a pretty fascinating story.  They had built full-size wooden replicas of the Gatun locks and had pilots practicing runs on it.  Apparently when the decision in early 1945 was made (and as the tide of the war was turning against them) to make these kamikaze attacks rather than traditional bombing runs, the commanders ordered the bomb release mechanisms removed from the planes and replaced with fixed bomb brackets.  There were complaints against this but that was the plan that was to proceed.  Then, as word came that the Americans were massing a fleet to attack the Japanese mainland by mid-1945, the Panana Canal plan was deemed "too little too late" and efforts were redirected toward attacking the US fleet.

but boy did y'all look good.

Thanks.

Yes.  After Dave's post yesterday I did some research online and it's a pretty fascinating story.  They had built full-size wooden replicas of the Gatun locks and had pilots practicing runs on it. .

Thanks for posting that I forgot to add it. I wish I could have taken a video of this presentation since it was so informative.

Dave-  Thanks for sharing all of the information from the presentations.

Like all the others, I had never heard of Japan's plans to destroy the canal.

Yes.  After Dave's post yesterday I did some research online and it's a pretty fascinating story.  They had built full-size wooden replicas of the Gatun locks and had pilots practicing runs on it.  Apparently when the decision in early 1945 was made (and as the tide of the war was turning against them) to make these kamikaze attacks rather than traditional bombing runs, the commanders ordered the bomb release mechanisms removed from the planes and replaced with fixed bomb brackets.  There were complaints against this but that was the plan that was to proceed.  Then, as word came that the Americans were massing a fleet to attack the Japanese mainland by mid-1945, the Panana Canal plan was deemed "too little too late" and efforts were redirected toward attacking the US fleet.

Still, there are many today who criticize the decision to drop the nuclear bombs on Japan.

I have often heard it said that dropping those bombs saved the lives of all of those who would have been killed had the war continued. Now that we are hearing about things that were classified, that statement rings true.

TCD

Dave-  Thanks for sharing all of the information from the presentations.

Like all the others, I had never heard of Japan's plans to destroy the canal.

Still, there are many today who criticize the decision to drop the nuclear bombs on Japan.

I have often heard it said that dropping those bombs saved the lives of all of those who would have been killed had the war continued. Now that we are hearing about things that were classified, that statement rings true.

TCD

The estimated lives that would have been lost on both sides, military and civilian, by a US invasion of the Japanese mainland are staggering. 

My grandfather served in the South Pacific in WWII.  He told me when I was little that Japan had planned on bombing the Canal.  But I didn't take much note of it then and only remembered it now.  If he told me details, they are lost.

As you all have probably realized by now Linda and I are laid back when it comes to cruising. We will take in the shows and movies, go to some of the lectures and information seminars, but when it comes to the ports it will depend on what peaks our interest, also it needs to be accessible.  Linda did not see anything that seemed interesting so we opted to wait for the masses to go on their tours and then we went down to the dock for a while.

As we arrived I was impressed at the layout of the dock, didn't really seem typical.

100_4120.jpg

Here we watch the dock personnel tie us to the stanchions, which are located in a nice grassy area.

100_4127.jpg

The pier is right in town as we found in Cozmel, but look at the difference, off to the left is a large shopping center. 

100_4123.jpg

What the crew loves about this port is the fact the Wal-Mart & Sams is well within walking distance. When the Cruise Director was giving his port info that was one point he made sure we knew.

100_4155.jpg

The way we were docked it gave us a great view of the activities on the dock from our verandah. Here is one of the crew from the "Pirate Ship Tour" leading the participants to the ship.

100_4131.jpg

100_4132.jpg

Here's the ship and the tour was snorkeling, lunch as well as a "Pirate Show". They also had an opportunity to Kayak, all of which was way too active for Linda and I.  :)

100_4135.jpg

We noticed this trailer being pulled across the dock, so I zoomed in and we found a sea lion going for a ride.

100_4134.jpg

It turns out this was one of the "photo ops" for all those going on tours as they worked their way over to their buses, or boats.  He was being moved back and forth to a truck, which I assume was to keep him cool.

PCDV0079.jpg

I missed getting a picture of him in action, but we did see him with this flippers hugging the waist of some of the cruise guests. 

100_4136.jpg

Since the ship was pretty much empty we decided it would be a good day to do laundry. (I know how exciting) Here is a picture of one of the laundry rooms, cheap too. $1.00 to wash and $1.00 to dry, but you do need to use your room key. They should give guests that option at the FORT you wouldn't have to worry about getting change.

100_4143.jpg

When the laundry was finished we decided to head down to the dock and the "Flea market" for lack of a better term.

100_4137.jpg

Before we would go looking for that "item" that we couldn't live without Linda stopped for a pic at the welcome sign.

100_4146.jpg

Despite the fact that the vendors "were almost out of so many items and the prices will never be lower". We didn't really find anything we couldn't live without.

100_4144.jpg

100_4147.jpg

100_4148.jpg

We head back to the ship for lunch. Since there was not a crowd we decided to head to Beach Blanket, always a good & tasty selection.

100_4149.jpg

100_4150.jpg

100_4151.jpg

After lunch I decided to take a picture from the top deck of the city and then we went back to just relax on the veranda (do you see a pattern here)... :rofl2: and watch the more adventurous as they para-sail.

100_4152.jpg

100_4153.jpg

100_4156.jpg

100_4157.jpg

Shortly after 4:00 pm the lines were dropped and off we go.

100_4160.jpg 

100_4161.jpg

100_4165.jpg

100_4169.jpg

This evenings entertainment was a magic and mind reading show.

100_4716.jpg

Next stop, Cabo San Lucas.

Magic and Mind reading?  Seriously, how does one get to be a gig booked on a Disney Cruise.  Surely some of us Fiends have a talent.

I do like your style of cruising.

I once dressed up as a gypsy palm reader for a Halloween party. I copied a palm chart onto a posterboard, dressed up in bright colors with big hoop earring. I had a line of people waiting to get their palms read the entire night, even when others were cleaning up to go home. With a little Disney Pixie Dust I bet I could dust off my (non-existant) skills!

Our next stop was Cabo San Lucas and this was a tender port which was a new adventure for us, especially Linda. We again had a private car and tour guide since Linda read a few things that peaked her interest.

Here are some pictures as we arrive in the harbor and it is another beautiful port.  I definitely think the Mexican West coast is much prettier than the East coast.

100_4186.jpg

100_4187.jpg

100_4189.jpg

As Linda was sitting on the couch she said, "we have a visitor".  He must be use to the "tourista" since he didn't fly off as I opened the door to get his picture.

100_4193.jpg

Since we had a 9:00 am time for our tour we took our time having breakfast before heading down to the tender. What was nice for Linda they have a small elevator that took us down to the tender so we didn't have to do the stairs.  Here we are heading away from the ship.

100_4194.jpg

As we pulled into the dock this sail boat was tied up at the next dock over.

100_4195.jpg

Here is the walkway towards the "souvenir" shops, buses and gate to go into the city.

100_4196.jpg

We were introduced to our driver Eric and off we went (forgot to get his picture).

As we left the dock we drove by the adjacent beach and marina. 

100_4197.jpg

100_4198.jpg

100_4200.jpg

Here we are outside the rec-center and theater. If you look in the back there is part of a white wall next to the small yellow wall.  That is the outdoor movie screen. We were told most of the movies are shown outside in the evening when it is cooler.

100_4201.jpg

We then drove by "Edith's" which is supposed to be one of the more  well known  resturants in Cabo.

100_4203.jpg

We drove by this sign and I don't think it was DISNEY related based on the characters portrayed.  :rofl3:

100_4205.jpg

After about a 15 minute drive  we made our first stop at the glass factory and watched as a "Mexican Turtle" was made out of old beer bottles. The chunk of glass he is working with came out of the kiln shortly after several beer bottles were thrown in.

100_4208.jpg

As you can see there are actually two men working with the glass. The fellow with the pointer is our tour guide. 

100_4210.jpg

100_4211.jpg

Here is the finished product and he uses a piece of paper to demonstrate how hot the glass is, also notice the Tequila bottle in the turtle's flipper. It was really neat to see the talent that these men have.

100_4212.jpg

We then went into the shop and as you can see they use glass for everything. Windows, walls and floor.

100_4214.jpg

100_4215.jpg

100_4217.jpg

As were driving to the glass factory I saw a sign indicating  an RV park so as we left Eric took us into it for a quick stop. Notice how the sites are covered to protect the residents from the heat.Here's the pool.

100_4219.jpg

100_4218.jpg

He mentioned that they  have a lot of snow birds Nov-Mar., not sure if I would want to make a drive that far into Mexico.

Our journey then took us along the coast as we were headed to Cabo Bello and a very scenic resturant where we could not only enjoy the view, but also a brew. 

While we were there a couple of the tour buses arrived so we had some company.

100_4220.jpg

100_4221.jpg

100_4222.jpg

100_4227.jpg

100_4225.jpg

I think I'm close to the pic limit so next page.

After leaving the resturant we headed to the area that is known as the million dollar view. As we were driving in Eric pointed out these "edible" cactus.

100_4228.jpg

Here are the cheap homes. One thing of interest is how they are all built to take advantage of the breeze off the ocean and also they cannot be built as to block the neighbors view.

100_4230.jpg

100_4231.jpg

100_4232.jpg

100_4233.jpg

100_4234.jpg

100_4235.jpg

As you can see this is also a golf community.

100_4236.jpg

As I mentioned earlier it is amazing to see the differences between the West coast of Mexico and the East coast. (Cozumel, Costa Maya etc).

We then went into San Jose del Cabo for a brief ride and stopped briefly at Paaroguia San Jose Church. We did not go in since it is requested that if you have on shorts they go below the knee and for the woman wearing tank tops they need to cover their shoulders.

100_4237.jpg

We then drove back to the pier to board our tender back to the ship.

As I was walking through the information building I noticed some pictures and the artist is a Camilla Fuchs. The reason this peaked my interest is my paternal grandmother's maiden name was also Fuchs. Also if you remember the former President of Mexico was Vencente Fox (re-spelling). Fox's paternal grandfather was born Joseph Louis Fuchs in Cincinnati, Ohio so she may be another shirt tail relative as is Vincente.

100_4239.jpg

As we cruised back I snapped a picture of one of the little boats tied up in the harbor.

100_4240.jpg

I was also able to catch a brief glimpse of a sea lion swimming about.

100_4242.jpg

Here is the swimming area by what is known as the arch. This rock formation is one of the reasons we were told there is no pier for cruise ships. They are afraid it will change the tidal flows and damage the area.

100_4243.jpg

Here is one of the pirate tours returning.

100_4244.jpg

Next stop, after another day at sea, one of our very favorite cities,

100_4250.jpg