THE TRIP DL via PC 7126 miles total

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did I leave the curtain open? :rotfl6:

The big day finally arrives and the question is:    Here is our anticipated schedule.   Arriving Gatun Locks                                  approx  7:30 am Departing Gatun Locks                    

Let me guess.....they quit??     :rofl2:

The downtown pier is definitely the nicer of the two piers. And it saves you the cab ride from the southern pier to downtown.

When I first went to Cozumel, over twenty years ago, there was only a few cruise ships a week coming to the island.

Now there seems to be 2-4 ships every day visiting the island.

The Mexican government does a lot to protect the reef. As well as the dive shop operators. Cozumel is always one of the top 5 dive destinations in the dive magazine. rodale's scuba diving.

Our dining rotation was A (Animator's Palate) T (Triton's) P (Parrot Cay) and as I said I did not take a lot of  food pics, but here are a couple from the first night after leaving Cozumel on our way to Cartagena.  

Smoked salmon tartar.100_3583.jpg

Seared red snapper.100_3585.jpg

Also here are some of  the color changing pictures along the walls. Since this is an older ship the animation is mundane as compared to the Fantasy and Dream as well as the Magic since it has been reworked.100_3578.jpg100_3582.jpg100_3584.jpg100_3587.jpg

This was also supposed to be the first night of activites by the serving staff, but we had a glitch.This picture showed up as they all went into the kitchen area, the lights dimmed the music started and then nothing.100_3590.jpg

You could see the panic on the senior dining room steward as he was quickly on his phone. Well as it turned out Mickey was late to the party. When he finally made it the staff came out of the kitchen to parade aroung the dining room. My pics did not come out well since everybody was moving quickly, but I did catch this server on his way around.100_3593.jpg

As with the majorty of the time between Key West and Cozumel we just relaxed  on our verandah. 100_3595.jpg

Neither Linda or I are big into the pool thing so we didn't spend anytime in the water either. We also signed up for the internet package and I definitely have to say it is as advertised.  They made the claim that it was "New and Improved" unlike any in the cruise industry and it is. Not the cheapest, $89.00 for 1,000 mb, with smaller packages also available. Linda had numerous books on her Kindle and I did my share of surfing. However we were  very fortunate to have Captain Ken Puckett on board who was formerly in the Navy and is now a semi-retired Panama Canal Pilot. I missed the fact the he was on board and doing daily seminars, so I did not attend his first live presentation, the history of the construction of the canal  but I did make the second and future presentations. I was able to catch part of the first presentation re-run on the ships TV so I will present some of the info with out pictures. What made all this even more interesting Captain Puckett grew up in Ft. Thomas Kentucy, right across the river from Cincinnati. He also knew several of my distant cousins from the area since that is the area where my father was raised.  He started his carreer on the water as a teen, working on the Delta Queen, which had it's orignal home port of Cincinnati as a painter. 

As amazing as it may seem the US government kept meticulous records regarding the costs and spending when they built the canal. Too bad they don't do that today. The original canal was supposed to go through Nicarauga, but beleive it or not, a Congressman on the committee involved said, "What do we do about the volcano that's in the way"?  To me another surprise, "A smart congressman". :rofl3:  So they decided on Panama for the construction.

He also made me proud when he stated, "Ohio built the canal".  The mules (trains) orginally used were built by GE in Cincinnati, also the pneumatic drills used to drill the holes for the dynamite were made by AMF out of Cincinnati. Bucyrus excavators, out of Bucyrus Ohio were used extensively to move the dirt. All the chalk used for making the various reference marks duirng construction came from the American Crayon Co. out of Sandusky. They were later bought out by Binney and Smith and that company is now Crayola.

As we leave the Atlantic and return to the Pacific we have an elevation difference of 85'. What'even more amazing the large gates at each lock are mover by a 40 hp motor and originally they were only 25 hp.  Believe it or not the gates even float, however slighly off the bottom of the canal. About 1/2 way up each gate there are some openings that allow the water to enter the gate and push it tight against the bottom. 

More very interesting history will follow, even with pictures, in the next up-date.

We all know how clean they try to keep the Parks and Resorts, well here is another example of that "Special" Disney attitude.  Who else would be washing windows while cruising out in the middle of the ocean?100_3598.jpg

Up next day two at sea and more canal info.100_4694.jpg

oops, slight edit had the wrong navigator before

Was somebody actually suspended outside the ship washing windows in the middle of the ocean?? 

No it's just a suspended water jet, but it seemed a little silly since we were at sea, but I guess things always have to be "ship shape" in the DISNEY tradition.

OK. Made it on page two.

Was going to comment on the visited spots in Key West to mention missing Sloppy Joe's but TCD beat me to it.  Instead, I'll mention Mallory Square and those vendors hocking the conch fritters.

Tough about not being pool people.  Looks like you could have had the pool to yourselves after lunch that day while in port in Cozumel.

Thanks for adding some of the history of your stops along the way.  I'm hoping this is a theme in your TR.

Verandah (without water) for the win!

You may now continue with your scheduled cruise.......

Instead of doing the buffets and leaving the cruise almost as big as the Wonder, we opted for breakfast in Triton's so while there I grabbed a picture of the mosaic on the back wall as we left.100_3599.jpg 

We timed breakfast so I would be at the theater 30 minutes before the Capt started his presentation and I'm glad I did, the theater filled up roughly 10 minutes before he started his presentation. Again DCL showed it's hospitality and had coffee and chocolate chip cookies available for anyone who wanted them. I took the coffee, but not the cookies, my Dr. would be proud.100_3600.jpg 

The presentation today focused on how the fees, now charged by the Panamanians, were figured and how much DCL paid to cross the canal. What was interesting is when the US controlled it we only charged enough to cover costs, now Panama is into making large profits from the ships using it.100_3602.jpg

Here's the Captain.100_3603.jpg

We always hear complaints about how tight the sites are in some of the loops at the FORT or in other campgrounds, good thing they aren't taking a ship through the Panama Canal. Look closely at this picture. 100_3605.jpg

The canal is only 110' wide, do the math, yep only 2' on each side of the ship. More on that later.

Here are a couple graphics of the how the canal get's you from ocean to ocean. 100_3607.jpg100_3609.jpg

Notice we are actually going North to South, not East to West.

Here is the basic procedure for crossing the canal. Not every ship adds the 10% priority fee but DISNEY always does.That gives you a 4 hour window to work with.100_3610.jpg

I love the way that they came up with shipping tons. ALCOHOL. 100_3612.jpg

Another comparative graphic.100_3614.jpg

The Panamanians make sure they get the best fee and here is what it cost DISNEY to get us from the Atlantic to the Pacific.100_3618.jpg

If it was done on weight alone here is the cost.

100_3615.jpg 

So Panama made an extra $10,000.

Here is a comparison of the Wonder vs the Titanic.

100_3619.jpg

And how would you like to get on board a ship using this method. Something the Captain said he did on a regular basis.100_3620.jpg

And to end today's presentation, a US sub crossing the lake.

100_3613.jpg

Again we just meandered around the ship or enjoyed our veranda and then that night we had dinner in Tritons which had a French theme. Linda started off with chilled jumbo shrimp, white and green asparagus, micro greens, and lemon dill dressing.100_3627.jpg

I had Prince Eric's escargots gratines.100_3628.jpg

Linda's entree was slowly braised lamb shank with creamy polenta and brussel sprouts.100_3629.jpg

My entree was crusted salmon, on creamed potatos with a horseradish cream.100_3630.jpg

As dinner drew to a close Ariel came in to parade around the dining room with the kids and got everybody into the napkin wave.100_3646.jpg100_3647.jpg

As we walked through the Atrium on our way to the theater for the evening's entertainment who do we find?100_3649.jpg

Look who we also caught heading up the steps for the photo op on deck 4.100_3652.jpg

We arrived at the Walt Disney Theater and got our seats for:100_3657.jpg

This group has been at WDW and boy are they good.  Linda and I thought we were back in the 60's.

Next up, our tour of Cartagena.

2 feet on either side.....that's nuts.  

There's even another story coming up that makes that look roomy.

And I panic when someone parks too close to my car and I'm worried I can't get my car out easily. Lol

See above

Very awesome, can't wait to read more!!

Thanks

Great update!

Cool that they shared history with you. 

2 feet.... that makes me shake. 

I didn't realize that characters come into the dining rooms. 

Thanks.  See above. Yes the characters come to the dining rooms and they even had a character breakfast, unfortunately we got mixed up on days and missed it.

Being that this was a longer cruise, did you notice less school age children traveling? Unless they are homeschooled that would be quite a bit of time missed from school especially so close to the end of the year.

Normally around 1,000 kids, this cruise less than 300

Dave, I'm really enjoying all the information you're giving us.  Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Thanks

Dave, thanks for the history info. Remind me not to complain about the tolls anymore when we tow the camper!!!!!!!!

Thanks and remember it has to be paid in advance.

Ditto.  It's all very interesting!

Thanks and more to come.

What a cool cruise!  Thanks for sharing all of the tidbits you learned about the canal.  I never knew about the Ohio connection- that is very interesting.

I want to go on a Panama Canal cruise more than I want to go on an Alaska cruise.  I'm going to have to make this happen.

TCD

It was. The Ohio thing surprised me too. You need to do both.

Thanks for the Captains lecture information.   I'm completely fascinated by that kind of thing.    2 feet to spare....  It's like a marble on a four lane highway ! :rofl2:      I also volunteer to take one day of reciepts for operating the canal...    :wave1: 

100_3733.jpg

Cartagena or "Catagena de Indias" is a large Caribbean beach resort on the nothern coast of  Colombia. It is the capital of the Bolivar Department. Colombia was named after one of the nine original states that formed the US and it has 5 Departments (states). The current population is over a million and it is the 5th largest city in Colombia. Activity and development around Cartagena by various groups of people dates back to 4000 BC. The original Spanish colony was founded in 1533. It played a key role in development during the Spanish era since it had a large population of royalty and viceroys.

We watched as we pulled into port and this is one where some of the tie outs are only accessible by boat.

100_3661.jpg

You can also see that it is a very busy commerce area and has many container docks and there was activity everywhere.

100_3660.jpg

As many of you know Linda has a mobility issue and getting on and off a bus would be difficult and besides she normally cannot take her scooter. Since this was probably only going to be a once in a lifetime trip (even though she is already talking about doing it again only West to East) we decided to spring for the personal car and tour.

Our meeting time was at 9:00 in the Cadillac Lounge, deck 3 forward, so we did not have to rush to breakfast and again went to Triton's. As we are walking down the hallway I could see all the buses and cars at the dock.

100_3666.jpg

We then made our way to the lounge and here are some pictures from the entrance. The theme is all Route 66 so simulated bill boards and even the rear of an Airstream line the hallway.

100_3667.jpg100_3668.jpg100_3669.jpg100_3671.jpg

Then taking a closer look at the cars and buses I spot this, we're all set to go as soon as we get down on the dock.

100_3670.jpg

When we got to the dock we met our driver Jorge and we briefly dicsussed where we go and see. We also told him we would not be doing a lot of climbing or shopping since Linda has trouble walking. Then off we went.

Our first stop would be here, La Popa Monastery and as you will see it was quite a ride up the hill.

100_3727.jpg

As we travel through the city I shot these pictures out the windshield (Linda sits in the front as it's easier for her to get in and out) and these people are crazy when it comes to how they ride their motorcycles. Jorge did tell us however that helmets are mandatory with a hefty fine if you’re caught riding without one.

100_3673.jpg

Want some bananas or avocados?

100_3674.jpg

We arrive at the Monastery and this is the view, as I said we went up a small hill. :rofl2:

100_3681.jpg100_3678.jpg100_3687.jpg

Here's a picture of Linda and Jorge.

100_3680.jpg

We entered the courtyard and the flowers were beautiful.

100_3682.jpg100_3683.jpg

What looks like a planter is actually the water inlet for the cistern. There are 4 openings around the bottom that collect the water. Jorge said that during the rainy season that have to be sure and collect as much water as possible.

100_3685.jpg

We then went into the chaple which is rustic and yet beautiful. The back of the altar is 14k gold and they have mass on a regular schedule as well as weddings. People pilgrimage up the road when they are looking for special help or blessings, while making the stations of the cross. What is different, in Colombia they have 15 stations, with the last being the resurrection. The norm according to biblical scholars is only 14.

100_3684.jpg

As with any tourist area, outside the gates were the various vendors selling their "wares". In the distance you can see the other tour vans and buses lined up. Luckily we got there ahead of the crowd so Linda had an easy time walking around.

100_3688.jpg

As we drive back down the hill I had Jorge stop so I could get a picture of one of the crosses that make up the 15 stations and as you saw by the elevation difference it is one heck of a pilgrimage to walk to the top.

100_3689.jpg

We then drove to the Castilo San Felipe de Barajas which was a castle and is located on the hill of San Lázaro in a strategic location, dominating approaches to the city by land or sea. It was built by the Spanish during the colonial era. They had self guided tours, but we passed.

100_3691.jpg100_3692.jpg100_3693.jpg100_3701.jpg100_3702.jpg

We then drove through the older section of the city.   

100_3694.jpg100_3696.jpg

We also went by the flower market which is big business.

100_3704.jpg

Photo limit, next page

Cartagena continued:

We also toured some of the "cheaper homes".

100_3710.jpg100_3711.jpg100_3726.jpg

Would any city, no matter where, be complete without

100_3707.jpg100_3708.jpg

We then drove by the “elephant trees” as we worked our way back to the dock.

100_3725.jpg

During our tour Jorge told us they have 2 seasons, summer and winter. I asked him about temperatures, his response, "hot and hotter".

That evening after dinner we were entertained by the magic of Scott Alexander.100_4695.jpg

Tomorrow 

100_3742.jpg