THE TRIP DL via PC 7126 miles total

And now the rest of the story.100_4724.jpg<br /><br />This was a trip that we had hoped to take in 2013, but since the accessible rooms are limited on the WONDER and the MAGIC we could not book the cruise while we were on the ALASKA cruise in 2012 and boy are we glad. Why, you ask? As you may or may not know DCL offers a 10% discount for onboard bookings as well as a $200 credit to spend as you like, drinks, tours etc. Since we had booked the FANTASY cruise in lieu of the PC we decided to book as soon as we could and then rebook after we got on board the FANTASY in March 2013. Turned out to be "FANTASTIC" decision, DCL occasionally does promotions and guess what cruise was being promoted in March, the PANAMA CANAL for 2014 so the deal turned out to be 20% off. Score one for G&G. So now you know why we went. <br /><br />For those of you who followed along for our "North to Alaska" TR you know I am not big into "pood forn" so there will be some, but it will not be in abundance and the reason is I don't think that DCL has a bad item on the menu. Besides, if you've seen one Mickey Bar you've seen them all. :rofl2:<br /><br />OK, so off we go. G&G left Cincinnati, (actually Dayton since Southwest is there) on May 1st and flew to Orlando. We then rented a car and drove to Miami and spent the night at the Spring Hill Suites about 6 miles from the port. Doing this allowed me to book the flights using miles, even with the car and hotel it was a "cheap trip" for the 2 of us. We arrived at the Port according to our scheduled check in 11:00 - 11:30 there was not any long lines. We finalized check in got our KTTW card or should we call it our KTTS(ship) cards100_4688.jpg and received a 5 boarding number which I thought was pretty good. Well score 2 for G&G. As we're sitting by the elevator, Joe, who must be the check-in managment honcho walked over and thanked me for my military service since I happened to have on my Navy Vet cap. He then asked for our boarding card, looked at it, wrote on it, including his initials and handed it back, hot d--n, we're now #1.100_3542.jpg A little later he walks over with the CM that is pushing Linda's wheelchair on to the ship and also tells her, they're #1. (as a point of clarification we again rented a scooter so it was on the ship, instead of loading and unloading Linda's everytime we changed cities) Best part was the CM manning the elevator check point, gave a little mumble when I handed him our modified boarding card and the gal pushing said "Joe said they're now #1. So on the ship we go in record time. Should have mentioned that since this is not a Disney exclusive terminal the Disney ambience was not present as you see and feel when leaving out of Port Canaveral<br /><br />OK, we're on the ship and it's time for lunch so off we go to Parrot Cay for that buffet, we prefer that resturant as it seems to have a much larger selection of items over Beach Blanket.<br /><br />It wasn't too long after we finished lunch that we were able to head to our little cabin with the little verandah. 100_3541.jpgYep same cabin,100_3546.jpg same verandah, of course I really didn't expect any changes, but you never know.100_3538.jpgWe did find a very nice new "Castaway Club" tote bag that replaced the backpack.100_3626.jpg and the Navigator. 100_4689.jpgWe then unpacked the carry on and just sat and relaxed as well as checked out the Miami harbor100_3510.jpg100_3513.jpg. Then "as required by law" at 4:00 we had safety drill, so we headed to our redevous station at 3:30 which for our cabin is Animator's Palate. As the drill near it's end the crew member told us to head out so we could avoid the crowd and get on the elevator and then we head up to deck 9 to get our seat for the "Adventures away"party. unymasuq.jpgWe didn't spend alot of time before heading back to the cabin as we had early seating (5:45) and our rotation started in Animators Palate with the dinner theme of "Let the Magic Begin". As we're heading back to our cabin after dinner our last suitcase was brought up so we un-packed and got our door decorations up before meandering around the ship. <br /><br />Next stop:100_3516.jpg100_4690.jpg<br /><br />Key West was acquired by the US from Spain in the early 1800's and most of the inhabitants were wreckers (salvaging from the ships that wrecked) or as pirates. In 1930 it became recognized as a tourist area and two of it's regulars became Ernest Hemingway and Harry Truman. It is, as we all probably know, now a very laid back and somewhat loose (didn't take pics of those establisments, after all this is a family forum) tourist and party town.<br /><br />Bright and early Saturday morning we arrived in Key West with all ashore being at 7:15. Since we had an electric car rental lined-up we didn't rush off, we waited and headed to Triton's for a nice sit down breakfast. When we got off the ship the car company has a Kiosk very close as well as a shuttle so off we go to get the car. With Key West being as compact as it is getting the car was our best option since taking Linda's scooter on the trolley or train was out of the question. <br /><br />The rental company gave us a nice map, highlighted the best way to go and off we went with the first stop being at the beach.100_3517.jpg Since she doesn't maneuver well in the sand Linda sat in the car while I walked down. 100_3518.jpgNext stop, the Southern Most Point marker and off to the left appears to be radar or survellance antennas. Got to watch for those "commies in Cuba". :rofl3: 100_3519.jpg100_3520.jpg Next we head off to St. Mary's church, we would have gone in but there was a wedding about to begin. 100_3522.jpgThe reason we had some interest was our son and ddil had orginally talked about getting married here, good thing they didn't however. There wedding day was 9-15-01. What happened on the Tuesday prior? Yep 9-11 and since no planes were flying nobody would have made it to the wedding, possibly not even them. So somebody was watching out for them when they made other plans and had the wedding in Cincinnati. As it turned out only 3 or 4 invitees didn't get to the wedding. Next stop was the Coast Guard pier and museum which also allowed us to a picture of the ship. 100_3524.jpgThen off we go to the Truman Annex.100_3525.jpg That was followed by at stop at the oldest house in Key West.100_3526.jpg We then drove down Highway 1 to mm 0. 100_3527.jpg I had to snap a couple pictures of the "non traditional" Wendy's and CVS. 100_3528.jpg100_3529.jpgA trip to Key West would not be complete without a picture of the original "Margaritaville"100_3530.jpg as well as the Ernest Hemingway house. 100_3531.jpgThis trip to KW was much better than our last, when we took<br />the Catamaran from Ft. Meyer and Key West had one of their heaviest rainfalls ever and the streets were flooded. We then returned the car and returned to the ship where we watched some of the more adventurous guests as they took a ride on the jet skis. 100_3532.jpg4:45 was the all aboard and in a very short time we were headed out to sea 100_3535.jpgand will be there for the entire day with the next stop being, Cozumel100_3567.jpg

I'll work on the formatting for the remaining segments. Also be patient there is a lot to be added.<br />

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did I leave the curtain open? :rotfl6:

The big day finally arrives and the question is:    Here is our anticipated schedule.   Arriving Gatun Locks                                  approx  7:30 am Departing Gatun Locks                    

Let me guess.....they quit??     :rofl2:

Sure make me post on your other thread. Well at least I was first there.

Have to claim my spot on page 1 before they are all gone.

I have a friend who loves going to Key West. To be honest the place never really interested me. Your pictures from there have changed my mind a bit. It looks like some cool places to visit away from the "Party" atmosphere.

You're off to a great start, Dave.

Thanks for posting the photo showing Joe's initials.  I will need to start working on copying those.  Congratulations on the #1 boarding pass!

Good call renting the electric car in Key West.  We've done that before, and they're a lot of fun.  It looks like the only thing you missed was Sloppy Joes and the lighthouse.

TCD

I'm in

I'm number one!

I'm number one!

Number one is the new number one!!!

I've been waiting for this TR since you left!!!

You hit the key twice too!

I'm number two!  I've been looking forward to this TR too!

Nothing wrong with that

It's about time ;)

Didn't I see a lot of posts about patience???

Sure make me post on your other thread. Well at least I was first there.

Keeps you on your toes.

I'm along for the ride as well!

And you can take credit for handling part of the trip.

I'm in! Can't wait to read about this trip! You are already off to a great start. 

PS- Remember, I'm available for adoption. :)

Thanks, and what did you say??

It's good to be G&G!

And we are very, very blessed to be able to do it.

By the way... cute rental car.  :bellringer:

Only problem no air cond.

You're off to a great start, Dave.

Thanks for posting the photo showing Joe's initials.  I will need to start working on copying those.  Congratulations on the #1 boarding pass!

Good call renting the electric car in Key West.  We've done that before, and they're a lot of fun.  It looks like the only thing you missed was Sloppy Joes and the lighthouse.

TCD

Thanks.  The forgery would probably only work out of Miami.  We thought the car was the best way to go and i know we missed a few things. Next time!

Hurray for Dave and Linda!

Can't wait to read more!

We love you guys.

We going to see you in July?

We going to see you in July?

Not sure yet.

Baseball will likely be over by then unless we get a bunch of rainout makeup games, but there could be a house closing and a move somewhere in that time period so we have to play it by ear for now. We would definitely like to and we'll hopefully be able to make it work.

Well we apparently had some rain overnight and we had our own private pool when we woke up. :rofl3: having the large verandah is nice but it is a little slow to drain.

100_3536.jpg

Our day at sea was spent walking the ship, relaxing on the verandah  and of course eating more than we should. The show that evening was "The Golden Mickey's" which we had seen before (actually twice) so we passed.

100_4691.jpg

Here are a few facts about the Disney Wonder which you may find interesting.

It has a gross tonnage of 83,308 and net tonnage of 53,899

It is 964 ft long (the Eiffel Tower is 986 ft tall)

Maximum speed of 26 knots/30 mph (when we launched planes on a carrier we had to get up to at least 30 knots)

Keel was laid May 15, 1997  21 years ago

Launch date July, 14 1999

Inaugural cruise August 15, 1999 (our baby boy turned 24 that day) :rofl3:

It's anchor weighs 34,250 lbs and it has a normal crew of 1,000.

Since dinner tonight was "Formal Attire" when we arrived back at our cabin this is what was laying on the bed.

100_3543.jpg

We also received our first of several mementos.

100_3544.jpg

When we arrive in Cozumel, as with all DISNEY ships we dock at the Punta Lagonsta  pier which puts us basically in downtown.100_3545.jpg

The shopping area is much nicer and cleaner than the area where Carnival docks. Since we've been  here several times we wait to disembark as we just plan on strolling around and checking out all the junk, I mean merchandise, that is available.100_3550.jpg100_3556.jpg100_3551.jpg100_3553.jpg

We also went down to street level to look around.

100_3554.jpg100_3555.jpg

We stopped at the market to get some snacks that we forgot in Key West(but we didn't forget the adult libations before we left the US and prices were cheaper in good old USA) 100_3552.jpg

Then it's back to the ship to get a little lunch.

100_3549.jpg

As we expected there was very little activity around the pool so finding a seat for lunch was very easy.100_3557.jpg100_3562.jpg100_3565.jpg100_3559.jpg

Cozumel is not only a city, but also an island. They make claim to some of the healthiest coral reefs and has become a very popular scuba diving destination The Mayans considered the area sacred and the women would make regular pilgramages to the Moon Goddess, Ischel in hopes of getting increased fertility. The area gained it's popularity as a tourist attraction after being praised for it's coral reefs by Jacques Cousteau in 1959.

Shortly after we arrived back in our cabin there was a knock at the door and this is what we got. I asked the girl, what's this for?  The card just said from Guest Services. Naturally, I didn't say no.100_3568.jpg

That evening we had the music and comedy of John Charles and as usual "No Pictures"... 100_4692.jpg

We now have two days at sea ahead of us as we head to Cartagena, Columbia

Did the card say anything on the wine?

If you would have opened your verandah door would the water have come in?!?

Just a generic thanks for sailing with us. I think everybody got something, as they were delivering bottles later in the cruise. Also the couple we shared a table with got chocolate covered strawberry's. It was just a surprise since we've never gotten anything similar on the other DIS cruises even Alaska. They may have based the gift on what beverages you bought as some people don't drink and I ordered the wine package at dinner.

As to the water, we did get a little water on the rug since the ship was rocking, but there is about a 1 1/2 lip at the door, since we had an accessible cabin it was ramped and some went into the door track.