THE TRIP DL via PC 7126 miles total

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did I leave the curtain open? :rotfl6:

The big day finally arrives and the question is:    Here is our anticipated schedule.   Arriving Gatun Locks                                  approx  7:30 am Departing Gatun Locks                    

Let me guess.....they quit??     :rofl2:

The reason San Diego is one of our favorite cities is we spent the first two years of our marriage here and our eldest daughter was also born here. I was  also here the year before we got married, except for the 6 months in Vietnam with Uncle Sams Navy. Linda did come out to visit before and after my deployment. I actually wanted to stay after I was discharged, but guess who said "NO"...

We arrived in the wee hours of the morning and as usual there was some fog and haze along the coast. FIrst thing I spotted as we were heading into the channel was the Point Loma light house

100_4274.jpg

Here's the Pilot boat pulling away.

100_4275.jpg

I then looked over the side and we had a tug helping us along, too close for a good shot.

100_4276.jpg

Here's a picture of Rosecrans National Cemetery. (more to come later)

100_4277.jpg

On the port side the first thing that comes into view is Point Loma submarine base.  Several subs are in port and it looks like they are using the dry dock for some kind of activity.

100_4278.jpg

100_4279.jpg

100_4281.jpg

100_4280.jpg

Here is a usual site in the harbor, a seal lounging on one of the buoys while several other swim around.

100_4286.jpg

100_4285.jpg

This hotel on Shelter Island (actually a penisula) was of interest since it is where Delta put us up in 2010 when our flight back to Cincy was cancelled due to mechanical problems.

100_4288.jpg

It was even more interesting since it was right next door to the hotel we had just checked out of before heading to the airport.

100_4291.jpg

Linda came out to watch the rest of our journey into the dock.

100_4289.jpg

Here's a couple pics of NAS North Island. This is where the carriers are ported in San Diego.

100_4287.jpg

100_4292.jpg

100_4296.jpg

100_4297.jpg

A tour heading out, not sure if it's fishing or just sightseeing. Don't think the whales are active right now.

100_4293.jpg

Here's the USS Ronald Reagan.

100_4301.jpg

100_4307.jpg

For those not familiar with San Diego the airport is right in downtown. 

100_4299.jpg

Here's the Wyndham Hotel we're staying at, almost directly across the street from the pier, and it is directly across from one of the best seafood resturants in San Diego, Anthony's.

100_4306.jpg

Here's the USS MIdway which is now a Museum.

20140517_071250.jpg

Here we are almost docked.

100_4305.jpg

We then grabbed our bags and went down to breakfast since we had first seating in Tritons as requested so Linda would not have to far to go to the gangway since our rented scooter had to be left in the cabin.  Debarkation was a little slow since this is not a regular DISNEY stop. We grabbed a cab, went to Budget Rent a car and then drove over to North Island. (too early to check into our room, it's 9:30 am) We had several stops at North Island planned . We purchased our "beverages" for the remainder of the week, picked up our Disneyland Tickets and I got a hair cut.   :rofl2:  If anybody is ever in San Diego I would highly recommend trip to Coronado as well it is a very beautiful community and there is a lot of history at  Hotel Del Coronado. We passed on this trip since we had just been there in 2010.

Then we took brief drive around the base. The base is not only used by fixed wing squadrons, but also helicopter units. 

100_4312.jpg

100_4311.jpg

We took quick spin down to the Reagan and I snapped these pics of the carrier as well as the Wonder.

100_4308.jpg

100_4309.jpg

100_4310.jpg

We left the base and made a quick trip to "Old Town" for a stop at Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant, which we highly recommend if you're in the area. Need I say more.

20140517_131923.jpg

Pic limit

Sunday morning we head to Panera for breakfast and  then over to Shelter Island for a quick look around.  This is a very unique area in the Point Loma neighborhood that we really like, it is where the two hotels pictured earlier are located as well along with several others. The reason it is unique is all the property is owned by the Port of San DIego. Shelter Island businesses lease their location from the Port. California law states that the property on Shelter Island cannot be sold and permanent residences cannot be built there since it is public tide lands. The "Island" was made in the 1930's when the materials dredged from the bay were placed here.  It is a little over a mile long and only several hundred feet wide. I took numerous pictures, but many did not save. Found out later that the  camera battery was the problem.

Here is a picture looking back towards the city.

100_4322.jpg

Looking out towards the mouth of the bay from the fishing pier.

100_4321.jpg 

This is something else that always amazed me. You can basically spend the entire day in your MH here or at the beach area if it's not too big.There are spots on the street as well as in the parking lot.

100_4320.jpg

100_4323.jpg

Here is one of the Yacht Clubs, there are 3, and this area is the only deep water area for the mega yachts that come to San Diego. They have YachtFest every September.

100_4319.jpg

There are several sculptures on the island, but those are pics that I lost. The Tunaman's Memorial, a bronze sculpture dedicated to the tuna fishermen who played a big part in the early San Diego economy. (I think there is still a cannery South of the city) The Yokohama Friendship Bell, given to San DIego since it is a sister city with Yokohama. Pacific Rim Park at the end of Shelter Island has a round bubbling fountain named the Pearl of the Pacific. The fountain  and adjoining arch is a popular place for outdoor weddings.

As we leave the area this sign has always caught my attention, since I don't ever remember hearing of a Tsunami affecting San Diego. ???

100_4325.jpg

We then head up to Cabrillo National Monument and the original Point Loma light house. Fortunately the  camera started working right, at least for a while.

100_4328.jpg

100_4329.jpg

Here is Linda with North Island in the background and  the sub base off to the left 

100_4326.jpg

Here are a couple other views.

100_4333.jpg

100_4334.jpg

I went into the gift shop/museum and found a "Conquistador".

100_4331.jpg

This is the original light house that is no longer in use. It was a good idea, but they soon found out that it was too high and very ineffective when the fog moves in, which happens regularly

100_4332.jpg

Here is a shot looking back towards the cemetery. 

100_4330.jpg

We then drove down on the ocean side to the tidal basin.

100_4335.jpg

Here is the current light house, the one I took a picture of as we entered the harbor.

100_4338.jpg

A ship from the 3rd fleet out in the ocean. (as you can see it is still a little hazy)

100_4336.jpg

We drove back up the hill  and here is one of the armament batteries in the area.

100_4339.jpg

We then stopped at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery. 

100_4344.jpg

I am always in awe in the precision used to set the head stones.  Not all these graves are occupied many of the headstones are blank. In case you didn't know Veterans can also have family members interned along side. We saw several "wife of, daughter of or son of".  

100_4341.jpg

100_4342.jpg

100_4343.jpg

This is a "huge" cemetary as it lines both sides of the road. 

100_4346.jpg

One section was being re-sodded and you can see the wall used for the cremains urns.

100_4345.jpg

We then drove down Hill St. (wonder how it got that name :rofl2: )on our way to La Jolla.

100_4347.jpg

The cove area has always been a very beautiful area. You can see why the "Rich and Famous" like to hang out here.

100_4349.jpg 

100_4351.jpg

100_4353.jpg

Here is a picture of "Ice plant" it is a great ground cover and works wonders in stopping fires. It was used extensively around many homes when we lived here as it has a very high water content.

100_4352.jpg

Pic limit

We then worked out way out to MCAS formerly NAS Miramar. This is where I was stationed both with a F-8 Squadron, VF-53 (1970) and after returning from Vietnam I was reassigned to the base. (1971-72) Unforturnately I again had camera issues many pictures went "Poof".

Remember the movie "Top Gun" this is where it was partially filmed and this is where the F-14 Squadron was based. 100_4356.jpg

Since the Marines have now taken over the base, it has a large Helicopter presence. 

100_4355.jpg

As we were heading back down the highway this "gem" was in front of us.  A very good looking International pick-up.

100_4358.jpg

Next stop was Santee and the apt complex where we lived for about 16 months. 

100_4361.jpg

This is the apartment we were in E-101.  We were here when our eldest daughter was born.

100_4359.jpg

Back side of our apt.

100_4360.jpg

This place really looks good for a building that is 43 years old. It was brand new when we moved in and was FHA-235 subsidized housing. Naturally with my extravagant Naval salary we didn't have any trouble qualifying.  $103.50 a month, 2 bedroom, fully equipped kitchen, all utilities paid, and it was air-conditioned. Boy we were living "HIGH"..

We passed the airport as we were heading back to the hotel. Not sure if the fence is "curtained" because of the consturction or for security reasons.

100_4363.jpg

When we got back I took more pictures of the harbor and dock since the Wonder was out for it's 2 day cruise to no where.

100_4367.jpg

100_4366.jpg

100_4369.jpg

Here is the County Administration Bldg. which was right next door. On weekends the plaza is a busy place.

100_4368.jpg

I zoomed in and got a better picture of the airport.  Notice I'm a ittle prejudiced towards Southwest.  Our son's a pilot and that is one reason we're at the Wyndham, he got us the SW room rate.

100_4371.jpg

Up next. The Wonder returns and we head North to Disneyland.

I have a question about tendering specifically to using a scooter. How does that work? As I mentioned on Jason's thread for his mom, my mom has MS. She uses a cane to walk. I have been talking to her about going on a cruise and have noticed that some Ports are tendered. If she did go on a cruise she would probably look into having a scooter for moving about.

I have a question about tendering specifically to using a scooter. How does that work? As I mentioned on Jason's thread for his mom, my mom has MS. She uses a cane to walk. I have been talking to her about going on a cruise and have noticed that some Ports are tendered. If she did go on a cruise she would probably look into having a scooter for moving about.

We didn't take the scooter on the tender since Linda can walk just slowly, that is one reason we opted for the private car. IIRC DISNEY will loan you a wheel-chair to use if needed( since it will fold) to go from the port to the buses as well as for the buses. One of the problems with many of the tours are the steps that you encounter. Getting around the port area and those shops a wc would work.

I'm all caught up, Dave.  I'm sorry to see the cruise end, but I'm enjoying the San Diego part of the trip now.  It's nice to see it through the eyes of a former resident.

As a child, I lived in a military apartment and other military housing.  That apartment you had in San Diego looks just like one we stayed in in Virginia.

Looks like a nice, clean port area.  

I thought the exact same thing.

Both of the west coast Mexican ports looked way nicer than the typical ports visited on Caribbean cruises.

TCD

I'm all caught up, Dave.  I'm sorry to see the cruise end, but I'm enjoying the San Diego part of the trip now.  It's nice to see it through the eyes of a former resident.

As a child, I lived in a military apartment and other military housing.  That apartment you had in San Diego looks just like one we stayed in in Virginia.

Both of the west coast Mexican ports looked way nicer than the typical ports visited on Caribbean cruises.

TCD

I just wish the other pics had not "poofed" and it's amazing to see the differences East to West.

Monday arrives and the Wonder returns from the 2 day cruise to no where. I guess they have to kill time so they head to sea for 2 days.  I snapped a couple pics as she made her way back into the pier.

100_4373.jpg

100_4374.jpg

We checked out of the hotel and drove back to Panera for breakfast since it was on the way to I-5 and our trek North. We had a 95 mile ride which took a little over 1 1/2 hours and for a Monday morning the traffic wasn't bad. 

We got to  the exit and Linda attempted to take a picture and that is not her forte. :rofl3:

The sign says  Gene Autry Way and "DISNEY WAY", we're close.

100_4375.jpg

Closer.

100_4377.jpg

Closer

100_4378.jpg

And then we run into construction, they're resurfacing the road.

100_4379.jpg

Almost there.

100_4380.jpg

Finally!

100_4589.jpg

100_4590.jpg

100_4593.jpg100_4592.jpg

We Valet the car the Bell hop takes the luggage and we enter the lobby.

100_4383.jpg

Didn't think the room would be ready and it wasn't, more on that later. We're told we'd get a text message, no later than 3. So we head over to California Adventure since they have an entrance directly into the park from the hotel. The technology at DL and CA is still "old school".  We gave them our receipt and ID's and they print the paper ticket right at the turnstyle, but then we're told "don't forget to get your hand stamped when you leave if you plan on returning today". (now mind you we have a 3 day park-hopper)

100_4384.jpg

First stop is at the Fast Pass Machine for the "World of Color Show" (similar to Fantasmic only without seats)

100_4385.jpg

Here's the first attraction we walk by, too physical for us.

100_4386.jpg

We get back to "Paradise Pier" and look who shows up.

100_4387.jpg

We then spot "The Little Mermaid-Ariels Undersea Adventure" and we have to compare it to WDW, especially since there isn' a waiting line.

It was exactly the same inside, but outside it looks pretty mundane.

100_4390.jpg

100_4392.jpg

100_4395.jpg

100_4397.jpg

When we come out the "Army Men" are still putting on their show.

100_4400.jpg

Our plan for today was to just meander around and get acclimated since CA is a whole new environment.

100_4401.jpg

100_4403.jpg

100_4404.jpg

Then we run into Phineas and Ferb and crew.

100_4405.jpg

We head over to Pacific Warf on our way to Cars Land and spot Cocina Cucamonga so we stop for lunch.  Linda got the Taco's and I got the Buritto. They were delicious and really made similar to Fajitas.  Believe it or not a fellow sitting next to us ate them both. 

100_4406.jpg

We thought the dining area was a little more spacious than most at WDW.

100_4407.jpg

We arrive in Cars Land.

100_4408.jpg

100_4409.jpg

Tow Mater was out doing his Meet and Greet Picture Op.

100_4411.jpg

Grandma stopped for a photo op.

100_4415.jpg

There was a nice line waiting for the Racers.

100_4416.jpg

While we're walking along, here comes "RED". 

100_4420.jpg

Here's Luigi's Flying Tires (they float on an air cushion)

100_4421.jpg

Here's Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, the music that goes along with it is great.

100_4428.jpg

We then head over to "Bugs Land".

100_4422.jpg

100_4423.jpg

100_4425.jpg

We had planned on going to "It's Tough to be a Bug", but it was temporarily shut down and replaced with.

100_4625.jpg

We come back for that show Wednesday.

I've been having some back issues, a pinched nerve  as well as arthritis and walking has become a chore at times. (saw a Doc before we left and I had one steroid shot that worked for a while) We head back to guest services to see about who we can call for another scooter on such short notice since we saw other's being picked up when we got Linda's. (We had Linda's lined up before we arrived thru SCOOT-AROUND). What a surprise! They stock scooters that are available for long term rentals through an outside vendor, $40.00 a day and you can traverse both parks and DTD. They had one, so she made the call to the vendor, gave them my CC number and off we go again. Now Linda and I can race...

As we  back into the park we had to show our hand stamp and our ticket. We started to head back to Paradise Pier, but realized we needed to go the other way. We go around Grizzly River Run, which is down and then we see the well known, Wolf's Bear's Head. (forgot the pic in the original post and Grandma corrected me)

100_4426.jpg

We're now heading  over to Hollywood Land and we went by "Soarin" so I grabbed a couple fast passes which gave us a little over an hour to kill.. Here's the associated stands in the area.

100_4432.jpg

100_4433.jpg

Then we came upon "Alladin the Musical" and it was about ready to start and no line so in we went. Here are a few pics.

100_4440.jpg

100_4442.jpg

100_4443.jpg

100_4447.jpg

100_4451.jpg

100_4454.jpg

100_4462.jpg

The Genie's one liners were hilarious, such as "I haven't been this scared since I was on an elevator with Beyonce's sister" and "I haven't seen that many people leave at one time since the last Justin Bieber concert", just to name a couple  The person in that part was absolutely wonderful.

We now start back to Soarin and the hotel and here comes the Trolley.

100_4463.jpg

Soarin is exactly the same, except it doesn't have the specs of dirt in the film.   :rofl3:

100_4464.jpg

By now it's a little after 4 and still no text about our room. I went to the counter and was told "It's not ready yet".  What?  It's 4:15 what the "h--l"?  I started to get excuses from the gal on the desk. That doesn't work, sorry! Get me a manager..  Turns out they had been doing some repairs and they had just finished up and still needed to clean up.  Don't you have another room?  UH, Not another accesible room.  Bottom line we had to wait about another 20 minutes but he did comp 1/2 a night. We can live with that. 

So here's the room.

100_4465.jpg

Here's the view from the patio, not really noisy.

100_4466.jpg

So we un-packed and  relaxed since we are going back for the "World of Color".  Here are a few  pictures from that night. It's a nice show, but we're spoiled by FANTASMIC especially since there are no fireworks