THE TRIP DL via PC 7126 miles total

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did I leave the curtain open? :rotfl6:

The big day finally arrives and the question is:    Here is our anticipated schedule.   Arriving Gatun Locks                                  approx  7:30 am Departing Gatun Locks                    

Let me guess.....they quit??     :rofl2:

Sorry your DL day sucked. We had an awesome time there. 

THe way things were "hard" down it  would probably be more than a day

The parade looks good, DS would love it.

Minnie is adorable.

Probably so, we really did.

She worked well with the guests.

I almost didn't recognize you without a Grumpy shirt. 

After all the new parade pictures, those floats look small. 

The only other character shirt I really like, Linda likes it too. (besides it's true  8)  :))  :rofl3:  )

They are even smaller than those at AK

I remember the DL cast members being not very friendly, also. They were especially snippy if WDW was mentioned.

Re: the picture taken from the monorail of off-property. I think that building is Mimi's Cafe. There is a McDonald's just after it on the right. We stayed at the Fairfield Inn, right behind Mimi's. Those off-property hotels are really packed in there.

That was really one of our biggest complaints.  "Happiest Place on Earth"  it ain't.

Didn't get off property so I was wondering what was over there.

Nice update, so sorry you "broke" so many things at DL :)

One thing about the early entry and regular ticket holders. Unless they've changed it, each 3 day or more ticket is entitled to only ONE extra magic morning of their 3, 4, or 5 days. So not everyone every day is in there for extra magic morning.

We will very hopefully be out there next year some time. Can't wait. However, we'll be staying off property. It is a VERY easy walk to the parks from many off property hotels.

It's actually Dave's fault.   :rotfl6:

The way it was explained to me you can use it everyday.

Hope you have better luck than we did.

Great pix.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't some of the rooms at the grand Californian overlook the CA park and some overlook DTD?

Thanks

That is how it is set up. One entrance goes to DTD and the other to CA. The DTD is also the convention area.

The entry with thre to five day ticket is definitely only once per ticket.

For those off property?  Maybe that is the reason they still use the antiquated "hand stamp" for re-entry then.  All I know is the morning we went to DL, EMH every turnstile had at least 100 or more in each line/

SInce we had plans to meet with friends from Whitier around 3:30 Wednesday afternoon our plan was to spend the morning back at CA.  After the disaster the day before we even felt better about that decision.  Earl of Sand was open for breakfast so we got there right when they opened in order to take advantage of the EMH at CA again.

We got there too early to see the Maleficent Preview show so we walked back to Cars Land and take a better look at the Racers.

100_4429.jpg

As we worked our way back we stopped at Flo's for a couple pics.

100_4626.jpg

100_4627.jpg

The Racers look they would really be fun, but unfortunately Linda would have trouble getting in and out of the car and I'm not supposed to get that "wild and crazy" we just watched.  I definitely know that the grandkids would love it. (the ones that are old enough)

100_4628.jpg

100_4629.jpg

100_4630.jpg

Also to us the rock formations and scenery look more realisitic than most of what is built at WDW.

100_4632.jpg

100_4633.jpg

100_4634.jpg

We spent about 30 minutes watching the dare devils as they zipped by. I assume this is similar to "Test Track", but since you can't watch those cars like you can here I'll let someone else verify that.

100_4631.jpg

As we're heading over to Maleficent here comes "Tow Mater".  Not sure if someone is inside or it is all remote controlled, but all the car characters sure are fun to watch. 

100_4635.jpg

100_4636.jpg

Almost bought one of these sweatshirts, but I have enough GRUMPY ones already.

100_4637.jpg

The crowd seems to be a little larger today than it was Monday.

100_4639.jpg

We then got into Maleficent.  

100_4640.jpg

The 3D and special effects are amazing, but we think this will not be a good meeting for the younger set. It's going to scare the pants off of many little kids if mom and dad take them.

We then worked our way around the back side of Paradise Pier. We hadn't gotten over here on Monday.

They definitely need something like this at WDW, an area that is more like an amusement park. It reminds me of what you find at Cedar Point, Kings Island or 6 Flags.

100_4641.jpg

100_4642.jpg

Notice the two signs for the riders.  Some of the cars on the Ferris wheel swing and move on a small track as it goes around.

100_4643.jpg

Here's  a close up of the differences. Note the two cars near the left and top, as well as the inside loop.

53d70f00-2b25-4ca1-b677-d604f9f4d6f2.jpg

Here come Phineas and Ferb as they head over to the other side of the lake.

100_4644.jpg

Couple more of the rides

100_4646.jpg

100_4648.jpg

Here is Goofy's Sky School, this is the amusement we see from our room. You can see the roof line of GC right over the tops of the trees.

100_4649.jpg

Oh oh!  You can't see them real well, but there are people in that car and it's not moving.

100_4650.jpg

The Corn Dog Stand. Again the design really adds to the atmosphere.

100_4652.jpg

The Rocket Ships.

100_4654.jpg

It's a little after 12 so we head back over to our room to start packing up since we will be gone until around 10:pm with our friends. 

We walk by Minnie's plane but she is not here yet.

100_4655.jpg

Our final thoughts about DL and CA.:

As was said we were really disappointed with DL, not only in the fact that so many attractions were down, but the whole attitude of the CM's.  Linda and I made many trips here in 1971 & 72 since we could make a day trip out of it. (we were a lot younger then and a 90 mile drive home at 11:00 pm was a piece of cake) We definitely did not get that "Happy feeling" now that we got then.  Also the CM's are not nearly as accomodating to people on ECV's as they are in any of the WDW parks.  What was wierd is we found just the opposite at CA. There they seem much more like the WDW CM's. Smiled more, chatted more and definitely were more willing to help Linda with the ECV. Why are the 2 so different?  Maybe someone else who visits will find it totally the opposite.

The other thing that was hard to comprehend was the "antiquated" ticket operations. The hand stamp in order to re-enter the park. Why?  Maybe it was because we had seperate paper tickets, but they took our pictures with a hand held scanning device and checked it everytime we went back in.  Sorry, but I'll take the MB's and finger scan any day.  Believe it or not the WDW lines move faster.

Thursday morning we grabbed  some pastries and yogurt for breakfast and brought it back to our room since we had to head out for Orange County/John Wayne Airport for our flight to Denver.

Next up a few pics from there.

Is CA mostly thrill-type or fair-type rides?

It's a mix since you have , Hollywood Land (Tower of Terror ), Bugs Land, Cars Land , Paradise Pier as well as Grizzly Peak (Grizzly River Run) Something for all ages and all levels of dare devils.

We are now at the end of the trip.  We flew to Denver after leaving DL to spend a couple days with our daughter and her family. Here are the boys at the Zoo.

IMG950807.jpg

Here's their backyard view, still some snow in the mountains.

100_4656.jpg

100_4658.jpg

When we have gone out with the MH we stay at Chatfield State Park and since it is only about 6 miles from her house so we drove down to get some pics to share. Many CO State Parks have full hook-up sites as well as free wi-fi. (well almost free, they do charge a daily car fee over and above the camping.

As we drive to the park we pass Dish Network's sat farm.

100_4659.jpg

The view as we drive down to the lake

100_4665.jpg

Here is the beach, of course it is still May and they've had a lot of rain so nobody swimming.

100_4666.jpg

Here's the Marina.

100_4660.jpg

The lake looking over toward the CG.

100_4667.jpg

The elec only sites

100_4661.jpg

The newest loop and the one that is open all winter.  Water is always available at the dump station. They have 2 specific water connections that are heated

100_4664.jpg

The site we like and where we were 3 years ago when we had 7" of snow. : >:(:

100_4663.jpg

Another full hook up loop

100_4662.jpg

Another one of our favorite sites (FH)

100_4669.jpg

The bath houses are designed rather unique. Pay showers by the way, typical out West.

100_4668.jpg

Downtown Denver from the CG.

100_4672.jpg

We left on Sunday and flew back to Dayton, picked up the car and headed home.

That folks ends our 7126 mile journey. It is a trip we really enjoyed.

Stay tuned, JULY 2015

NORTH TO ALASKA 2, THE SEQUEL. 

Grumpy and Grandma travel back to Alaska with a "crabby" Bus Driver and his lovely wife.

This should be a much better trip since we now know Linda will have an ECV that works I have a new camera and the company will be superb.

See you "Real Soon" and hopefully in person at the FORT.

Safe travels to all.

That was a great trip.  Thank for sharing it with us.  I really liked all the information during the cruise and the photos of DL/CA.

Just curious, how much is it to take a shower?

Glad to share the experience. Fifty cents for 3 minutes.

Awesome TR.  Thank you so much for sharing.

They need a Cars Land at WDW.  All ages can connect with the theming.

Paradise Pier is similar to Dinoland at AK, with the 'boards' theme and games of chance, tho much nicer.

Thanks again.

Very cool report!! I honestly am sorry you had a bad time at DL with the ECV. When I went in 2008, I was on week 7 after surgery, so I took Rick's ECV with me. I actually found them very accommodating. Since very few of the lines were accessible, I pretty much went to the wheelchair sign of each attraction, asked what I should do, parked the ECV and walked right on most attractions through the exit. (I was using the ECV for stamina, I know Linda's issues are different). I'm really glad I took it too, not for the quick lines, but I did actually walk through the tree house, and when I got off, my legs were wobbly, so I really did need it :) I was also staying offsite on Katella, so the ECV allowed me a quick ride back and forth to the parks without using the shuttle bus system.

Small World was also closed when I was there, and unfortunately, so was Pirates.

I don't know if you knew this, but the Photopass system at DL is the same as at WDW, so I was able to use my same Photopass card I've been carrying for years at WDW. I also had a WDW trip within the same 30 day window, so was able to combine the photos from both trips into one CD.

Thanks for all the comments and compliments. Glad to share our adventure, I think that is one thing that makes FF such a great place we're more of a family than a "group".  Linda and I are not only lucky, but very very blessed, physically (although a little slower than before) and financially to be able to do these trips.