25 Years to Life Trip!

Dear Dan,

We will be celebrating our whatever number in 2015.  I respectfully request you contact my DH to begin the Anniversary Trip & Vow Renewal training program right away.  It will take you that long to train him.

Sincerely,

AlexWyattMommy....Annie

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boots on the ground at MCO! Got a text that the room is ready, can go straight to the 90's bldg, 4th floor! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never claimed to be an expert on anything.  I don't know much about beer, heck, I don't even drink... but someone explain to me why there are all of these empty bottles displayed at EPCOT?    

Awesome food pics Dan! Great family and fiend pics also. One of the beers in your beer pic is Bell's Oberon. Deliciousness in a bottle, brewed here in Michigan. Even better on tap. http://bellsbeer.c

I had lunch at Red Robin in Burlington, NC, today.  A little over an hour from home.  The onion rings (minus of course most of the breading for me) were very good.

I had the Colossus burger minus the bun and broccoli instead of the fries for my side.  The meat was good quality.  But the barbecue sauce was overwhelming.  I could have made a better choice.

The restaurant and the restrooms were very clean.  Kudos to them.

I liked that they had a replica of the Statue of Liberty in the lobby.  Is this a holiday thing?  

We will go back!

Nope the Statue of Liberty is a permanent fixture :)

I have 3 favorites there, the swiss mushroom, the burger with egg, and the teriyaki chicken sandwich

Dear Dan,

We will be celebrating our 25th next year. I respectfully request you contact my DH to begin the Anniversary Trip & Vow Renewal training program you will be offering to FFs.

Sincerely,

Happy Camper. ;)

I have to admit, Nancy has trained me well.  Only took her 24 years to get me to this point! 

Funny thing is, she is a control freak, organizer extraordinaire,  About two days after finding out about the trip, stress set in.  "Which parks have EMH?  Do we have a FP+ for this?"  Definitely not the type to relax and just enjoy the ride.

Dear Dan,

We will be celebrating our 50th in 2022.  I respectfully request you contact my DH to begin the Anniversary Trip & Vow Renewal training program right away.  It will take you that long to train him.

Sincerely,

CCIntrigue ... aka Gwen

I'll send Nancy right on over, she is better at the training part than I am ;-)

Dear Dan,

We will be celebrating our whatever number in 2015.  I respectfully request you contact my DH to begin the Anniversary Trip & Vow Renewal training program right away.  It will take you that long to train him.

Sincerely,

AlexWyattMommy....Annie

I will say that planning a surprise trip to WDW for a spouse that loves WDW and has planned a dozen trips there in the past is sort of like being proud to be able to hit the side of a barn from five feet away.  Really couldn't go wrong. 

Dear Dan, we are celebrating our 20th anniversary next year.  I respectfully request that you refrain from ever speaking with INC again, and whatever you do, please DO NOT ever post this stuff on Facebook where she might see it.  

Sincerely,

DIT

Funny you mentioned FB - Nancy just mentioned last night that I could probably start posting some photos to FB because the school year is out and as long as I don't say what day the pictures were taken,  But I made a promise to her boss who covered for my planning mistake and allowed Nancy to get out of work (Nancy has made up the time this past week getting the office ready for next fall and organizing the med forms - things she normally does in the last few days of school anyway).

I have to tell you Dave, you have a wonderful family.  I wish we had more time to get to know each other - I think one of the real reasons why everyone loves the Fort so much is the ability to sit around a campsite and celebrate like a family gathering.  Matt, Rachel and Nancy said that they really enjoyed getting to meet your girls, you and INC are truly blessed.  And speaking of INC - I hope you guys do get to celebrate with something special for your anniversary.  Lou was right, us Fort Fiend guys have married up!

I was hoping to keep adding to the TR each day, but the pace seemed to pick up and the days got longer in the parks toward the end (and I got more exhausted!). 

We got back home last Thursday evening to discover I left one bag at the airport.  A 90 minute drive away!  The baggage claim office was closed for the night and would open again at 8:00am.  And I had to meet the Boy Scout Troop at 10:00 to head out to the mountains again.

So, up and out the door before 6:00 the next day with my back-pack loaded and ready to go. By Friday night my feet were up in my hammock and temperatures dropped down to the high 40's - a real shock to the system after 90's and humid.  Anyhow, spent the weekend hiking and feeding mosquitoes in the woods with no cell reception (pure isolated bliss) and back to work on Monday.

I'm working my way through the rest of the pictures and will try to finish the TR a little later today while Arthur pounds the coast of New England.

Happy 4th of July everyone.

It was one of the highlights of our trip meeting y'all, Dan.  You have a great family....would be really fun to spend some time together at the Fort someday.  I hope my girls didn't talk Nancy's ear off....that's one of the things about a large group at a rectangular table....you have multiple conversations going on and I wish I had gotten to talk with Nancy more (not that I didn't enjoy conversing with you and Lou).  Thanks for taking some time out of a park day to meet up with us!  

• 2 weeks later...

After reading Dave's TR and seeing the link to the YouTube video, I decided to give it a try and see if I can do it.

First up is our favorite video from the August 2008 trip where we borrowed a waterproof camera and went down Teamboat Springs at Blizzard Beach.  Keep in mind that we were all loaded with too much sugar and the kids were about as hyper as you could get.  Pure fun!  Near the bottom of the slide there was a rank odor and you could hear Rachel say "Someone farted".   Bathroom humor is perfect at that age, and Matt remembered this again in this year when we went back.

http://youtu.be/pm8EuOaiGFw

Followed by our repeat this year, you can hear Matt make some obscure references back to the 2008 trip that only Rachel got at first!  Yup, that's my kids ;-)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KQc4bhDbn-A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• 2 weeks later...

Gwen, you are 100% absolutely correct about this....  In fact, for Father's Day, I got a pound of Stamey's Bar-B-Que and a pint of bar-b-q slaw and was one happy man... Now granted, it didn't come from Lexington, but from Greensboro,  but that is about as close as I could come to it....  There are slim pickin's over here in the Raleigh area for "que", well it just SMB... so you have to "make do" with your surroundings... 

Duane - Have you tried the restaurant in Raleigh, near the Railhawks stadium called Ole Time Barbecue.

• 3 weeks later...

Dan, I really enjoyed reading this TR after reading your posts earlier this year about your secret plan.  Thanks for sharing it through the stages of planning and execution.  What a fabulous memory you'll always treasure!

I would like to add my husband's name to the class roster for the training.  He has 6 years to learn this.  Of course, by then we'll have 2 kids in college and probably won't be able to afford to order a pizza for our 25th, let alone go to WDW!

I think your son's 8th grade promotion ceremony must have been the same week as my son's 6th grade ceremony (middle school is 7-9 here).  It was SO hot that night.  Fortunately, his school did have AC, however we had gotten there very early to get a good seat and they didn't open the school up until 5 min. before the kids had to be there so we had to line up outside in the heat.  We were all drenched in sweat in our dressy clothes.  I regretted my decision to wear my long hair down and put makeup on - pretty sure that ended up sliding right off of my face onto my blouse.  Needless to say there were no selfies taken that night!  haha.

Side note:  my boys and their Dad just returned from Rodney Scout Reservation in MD.  They had their camp late this year (planning within the leadership kinda fell apart), but got it squeezed in!  They had a great time, lots of swimming and kayaking on the Chesapeake.  Only complaints were the bugs and the food being the worst they've ever had at a Scout camp.  All things considered, successful week, plenty of merit badges earned and plenty of dirt brought home for me to wash! 

Dan, I really enjoyed reading this TR after reading your posts earlier this year about your secret plan.  Thanks for sharing it through the stages of planning and execution.  What a fabulous memory you'll always treasure!

I would like to add my husband's name to the class roster for the training.  He has 6 years to learn this.  Of course, by then we'll have 2 kids in college and probably won't be able to afford to order a pizza for our 25th, let alone go to WDW!

I think your son's 8th grade promotion ceremony must have been the same week as my son's 6th grade ceremony (middle school is 7-9 here).  It was SO hot that night.  Fortunately, his school did have AC, however we had gotten there very early to get a good seat and they didn't open the school up until 5 min. before the kids had to be there so we had to line up outside in the heat.  We were all drenched in sweat in our dressy clothes.  I regretted my decision to wear my long hair down and put makeup on - pretty sure that ended up sliding right off of my face onto my blouse.  Needless to say there were no selfies taken that night!  haha.

Side note:  my boys and their Dad just returned from Rodney Scout Reservation in MD.  They had their camp late this year (planning within the leadership kinda fell apart), but got it squeezed in!  They had a great time, lots of swimming and kayaking on the Chesapeake.  Only complaints were the bugs and the food being the worst they've ever had at a Scout camp.  All things considered, successful week, plenty of merit badges earned and plenty of dirt brought home for me to wash! 

It really was a worthwhile trip - getting to meet Lou, Dave, Christy and the whole Statz family (my first fiend encounter!) was a nice treat to add to it.  I hope to make a gathering at the Fort sometime, but fear the college years as well.  Good thing I like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!

For all we know your husband has already started planning a trip for your 25th?  Some exotic port of call with grand vistas and fine wine.  French chefs and swedish Masseurs (not sure if I spelled that correctly?)  Even a two person tent on the side of a mountain watching a sunrise!  Funny that you mention the money part of the equation.  I've thought so much more about this lately on how much we get trained to spend our money wisely and sometimes how little thought goes into how we spend our time?  Which is more valuable?  Maybe it's my mid-life inner child pushing that idea to the front.  But I had a grandfather who worked very hard to save for his retirement.  So many plans for going fishing and camping, probably daydreamed about those trips for years while putting in the time at work.  At age 62 he suffered a mild stroke that ultimately triggered a lifelong dormant case of multiple sclerosis to flare up.  He never did get to do most of those camping trips, but he did find ways to travel when he could!

Scouting is the best adventure my son ever got me started in - not one of those sit on the sideline kind of activities.  You get right in there and participate. And I hear you on the dirt that comes back.  Our local camp has this event called the "muck walk".  Some of the kids save up their worst beat up, torn, smelly shoes for that hike in July.  I haven't done it - and after seeing the photos probably won't, but I think they are carrying about ten pounds of mud on them by the time they get back to the lakefront to go rinse off in the lake.

My son got tapped out for the Order of the Arrow at camp this summer, and much to my surprise so did I!  I am one of the few scout dads who didn't get to participate in scouting while growing up, so the troop nominated me for OA this year.  If all goes well, Matt and I will do our first OA weekend next month. 

AHH!!!!  Camp Rodney a short drive from our house, we remember that nasty red dirt that follows you home. Our son did that camp once to start out for a week of sailing, it was a lot better for him on the boat then with the rest of the troop at camp.