25 Years to Life Trip!

Less than 30 hours to go, and I thought I would start this trip report now so I can find it easier while on the trip.  I hope to provide some updates live from the World during the next week.  I would normally post to FB, but my wife works in a school system and their school year got extended unusually long this year due to bad weather. For those of us who like to plan trips to WDW, we all know that 180 days out is the absolute latest you can rationally do this, and I booked a trip long before that was a thought.  Lucky for me, my wife’s boss is a really kind, understanding WDW fanatic like us and she helped make it happen.  Just asked that we not post to FB so that other staff in the school won’t know.

This trip has been a while in the planning stages, and none of it done with our usual style of coordination. Sometime last year I realized that I needed to try and do something wild for our 2th wedding anniversary.  My wife, Nancy, has always wanted a surprise.  In a good way.  Not like the I forgot your 40th birthday kind of way.  Or, the “Look Honey, I invited Bob, his wife and dog to spend the weekend with us – they are getting their stuff out of the car right now” kind of surprise.

I started talking this over with the other resident female of the house, my daughter Rachel.  I figured that if I was going to surprise my wife, I better get some feedback from the other side of the gender gap.  We soon figured that backpacking in the mountains and a wild animal trek in Africa were probably not going to be a good surprise.  So, where else could we go?  Some place we all like, know in advance that the place has something for all of us, no passport needed, and indoor plumbing.  Yeah, indoor plumbing is higher on the list actually.  You can probably tell where this is going, maybe???

First, let me introduce the cast of characters:

Rachel, my brilliant and kind 15 ½ year old straight A freshman in high school daughter enjoying some popcorn on the porch in Frontierland during our August 2011 trip to the World (I need to get some updated photos apparently)

1695.jpg

Nancy, the woman I first met as a teenager working in a local supermarket in the early 1980’s.  Her first words to me, I kid you not, were “You smell like a chicken wing!”  To all you younger stud wannabe’s out there, listen to me and realize that spending big bucks to dump gallons of expensive cologne is just going to make you scare them away.  Nothing says “come hither” like fried chicken.  Just sayin.  Someday I’ll explain the back story behind that chance first encounter, but now is not the time ;-)  So here is a shot of my better half, the Type A personality Disney planner extraordinaire, Nancy with me trying out some selfie shots in WDW:

1590.jpg

Matt, the youngest of our clan who is my 14 year old boy scout, saxophone player, guitar playing, will go camping in the mountains in the rain with my kind of kid:

IMG_0416_zpse9286a4e.jpg

Like the duck face?  Or the haircut?  Seems like both of my boys have gone through the long hair stage in their teens.   As long as they are good kids, keep their grades up and act responsibly, we figure the hair thing is an acceptable issue to ignore/tolerate.

Our oldest son, now 22, is in one of those transition stages of life.  He has a steady girlfriend who is a single mom with a two (almost three) year old boy.  She is putting herself through college while raising this wonderful and energetic little kid and we love them like family.  Justin decided that this trip just wasn’t going to work for them.  Justin cannot stand the heat or large crowds in the summer, and Bradley is at the stage where routine and steady schedule are important.  Uprooting his routine with a trip like this would probably result in meltdowns and general not a good idea kind of trip.  Sometime in the future for them, probably at the Fort!

LeiaJustinBradley_zpsad088f76.jpg

Because this was a surprise trip, and Nancy is normally the planner in our family, I faced many challenges on planning a Disney trip without her finding out. Let’s face it, the Disney computer systems have more information on us than the NSA (I hope) and Nancy has been a registered member on their sites since the 1990’s.  She’s in deep. I think she has Bob Iger on speed dial. 

As I was pondering and planning, but not yet at the stage of putting the deposit down, I saw a post that Ami Brundick Eller had become a WDW vacation planner.  I have known Ami for years now since the older days on the Fort sites in another board, so I figured it must be Kharma.  I sent a message and became her first customer within minutes of her posting the message.  She is a wonderful TA and helped keep this a surprise which required some stealth moves with Disney Destinations.  There was still one item that slipped through (WDW Fastpass plus mailing that had a message on the outside of the envelope saying our FP plus booking window was approaching).  But all e-mails and mailings were secreted away without Nancy ever getting a notice in her account that settings had been changed.  Very stealthy and not easy to do!

I’ll try to update again tomorrow, off to work soon.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boots on the ground at MCO! Got a text that the room is ready, can go straight to the 90's bldg, 4th floor! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never claimed to be an expert on anything.  I don't know much about beer, heck, I don't even drink... but someone explain to me why there are all of these empty bottles displayed at EPCOT?    

Awesome food pics Dan! Great family and fiend pics also. One of the beers in your beer pic is Bell's Oberon. Deliciousness in a bottle, brewed here in Michigan. Even better on tap. http://bellsbeer.c

Hmmm, I have a straight A just turned 16 this Sunday boy who is planning on an engineering career.  I'm cool with arranged marriages.   Have your wife message me and we can work out a contract.  ;D

Looking forward to more.