25 Years to Life Trip!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boots on the ground at MCO! Got a text that the room is ready, can go straight to the 90's bldg, 4th floor! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never claimed to be an expert on anything.  I don't know much about beer, heck, I don't even drink... but someone explain to me why there are all of these empty bottles displayed at EPCOT?    

Awesome food pics Dan! Great family and fiend pics also. One of the beers in your beer pic is Bell's Oberon. Deliciousness in a bottle, brewed here in Michigan. Even better on tap. http://bellsbeer.c

I'm in! When will/did your wife find out?

Happy anniversary !!

i was going to let Nancy know by picking her up at work and wisking her away to the airport with her bags packed and kids in the car already, and lucky for Nancy she has so many good friends that were helping me figure out how to do just that and have her bags packed with a little more than just a toothbrush and toothpaste.  About two weeks ago as Rachel and I were getting ready for the day and Nancy was getting ready for work, my insightful daughter made it clear that I was going to have to give her some advanced warning.  So Rachel wrapped up one of the boxed sets of Magic Bands for me to give her as a gift on our anniversary dinner at a local restaurant.  Rachel has much more credibility with Nancy now.  After watching my wife in full blown packing/planning/organizing mode trying to get everything together in less than two weeks, I think this will be a much better trip :- D  There is no way I would have packed half the stuff that she considered "necessary".  Here's hoping that Southwest Airlines can get us off the ground with all these bags!

However, there are a few surprises coming that she does not know about :clint:

Happy anniversary.

I'm in.

Thanks!  First page bragging rights!

I forgot. You've got a lovely family.

Thank you very much!  I think I chose wisely - the good looks clearly come from Nancy's side of the family tree.  I'm telling you guys, chicken wings will be a perfect scent to use when you are in the market!

Happy Anniversary!  Looking forward to hearing her reaction to her surprise (I know I would be thrilled)!!

I wish I had video of the moment she unwrapped the Magic Bands at the restaurant. She confessed that she saw a mailing from Disney Destinations that announced our upcoming FastPass Plus window for reservations in bold print on the outside of the envelope, but was thiking I must have booked the trip for some time in July.  Our schedule is booked through most of the summer already except some time in July when we would normally go to the local beach. She was thinking that I "forgot" to make that beach reservation and booked WDW instead.  NOPE. I really did space out on the 6 month deadline to book the beach campsite :banghead:

I'm in also and Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!! Have a great trip.

Thanks - got our Southwest "A" seat assignment window reserved yesterday while sitting in a meeting at work.  Thanks to the power of technology and smartphones, I swooped in 24 hrs ahead of time and checked in right as the time opened up.  I wonder what that meeting was about anyway?  Hope it wasn't an important one.

Awesome.  Happy Anniversary.  Extra pixie dust for you and family.....Enjoy every minute.

I'm in.  Can't wait to hear more.

Thank you!  I hope to get at least one post per day.  Might be ambitious, but will be my goal anyway.

do you ever sleep?

I think any mom with a new baby in the house gets few moments to sleep.   The occasional nap at the dinner table, while folding laundry, driving down the road - all joking aside, I hope Beckers is getting the rest she needs.  Toddler years are coming.

She has a baby. Soooooo. No

If we ever see a post from her with all "zzzzz's" scrolling through the message we'll know why.

Way to go Dan

ANNIVBears.gif

Thanks!  We have known each other for more than 30 years now.  And I am still learning new things - she will train me yet.

AAARRGGGHHHH!  I forgot about the limit on the number of quotes you can capture in one reply!  I think I had 18 multiquotes going with replies.

Lucky for Microsoft and the copy/paste feature -

Katman1356...Jason, on 17 Jun 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

I am in board for the trip as well.

Welcome.  Hope you enjoy your trip over the 4th - I'll be relying on posts from your trip to off set my withdrawal from this trip.

momof3kids-Yvonne, on 17 Jun 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

I am in!

Welcome aboard!

BeckersDadJohn, on 17 Jun 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

In! Had to make it short and quick --In!-- than add this just to make first page!

Happy anniversary !!

Thanks!  You guys are quick on this.  And happy belated Father's Day to you!

disneylitch......Debbie, on 17 Jun 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!

Thanks! 

Tri-Circle-D, on 17 Jun 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

You are off to a great start!

Can't wait to hear how it all unfolds.

Have a great trip!

TCD

Thanks - I love reading a good TR, so I will try and do my part.  Lots of excellent TRs on this board to keep me dreaming in the in-between years.  We used to try and go every year for a while, down to every three years now.  Seems like my money keeps finding other things to run toward instead of vacations. 

Memphis, on 17 Jun 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

I'm in!! Sounds like fun so far.

It has been a really fun 25 years.  30 actually.  Lots of people were asking us the "secret" of getting to  25 years.  I don't think there is anything special that did it for us other than having  a good sense of humor and a boat load of trust. 

lklasing, on 17 Jun 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

I'm totally in!  Love the family pics and background.  Can't wait to hear how the surprise was unveiled and all about your trip!

I was hoping to put in some older photos from our honeymoon trip to WDW in 1989, but life is soooo busy these days with teenage kids and work and - everything, Had to just start posting what I could or it wouldn't get posted. 

The unveiling was sort of funny.  One thing my daughter has watched me do at times is wrap gifts in brown paper bags.  I'm not always one for shiny wrapping paper.  My effort goes into the gift, and I try to find something really meaningful, that will bring a real smile to someone's face.  Heck, as a kid growing up I think my parents treated Christmas shopping like a sport.  So, my daughter "wrapped" the box of Magic Bands in a brown paper lunch bag which actually looked like we were coming into this gourmet restaurant with our own doggy bag! 

She opened the gift in between the appetizer and main course (Korean Short Ribs marinated in a sesame ginger, fire grilled with sake, braised bok choy and miso aioli - delicious, but no photo).  She was ecstatic to learn she was getting out of work a week nearly a week early and that I had worked that out with her boss back in January.  Then it dawned on her that she had less than two weeks to pack.  And she had no idea what nights the extra magic hours were. Did I make the right fast pass plus choices?  What was I planning to pack for her?  And then - OMG, the realization that she had no idea what to where to Chef's Table.  She needed to see what I was going to wear (because we all know that I am nothing more than an accessory that should be color coordinated to her outfit when going someplace nice!)

GaDawgFan.....Kelly, on 17 Jun 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

I'm in!

Welcome aboard!

Millermouseketeers, on 17 Jun 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

What an awesome Anniversary gift! Have a great trip!

Thanks!

I think that captures the replies?  We'll see - need to keep going because I still have packing to do and we are headed to the airport soon (the anticipation is building like crazy!)

On to the next update. 

So, we spent the better part of the last two weeks figuring out what to pack, celebrating our anniversary with friends and family, and the kids have been working around getting their school work done and finals done ahead of time because we are leaving before school closes this year.  Rachel, a freshman this year, has been pushing really hard to get good grades and arranged for her finals to be done after school or during the study class time.  Lots of stress, but she took all that planning on by herself and made all the arrangements even while re-adjusting her classes for next year and meeting with the guidance counselor. 

Last night was Matt's graduation from Middle School.  It was Florida kind of hot last night and our schools in the northeast are not air conditioned.  Fill an auditorium with hundreds of people packed in close on an 89 degree day with no breeze - OMG, what a way to acclimate to the weather we will get later today.  I would like to give a big shout out to the man who invented antiperspirant/deodorant.  You can keep your space program.  I'm loving the practical inventions these days!

As we were waiting to enter the auditorium (again, more practice for waiting in lines), Rachel found out that she got a 99 on her Geometry Final and a 100 on her Spanish final.  That girl was floating on air as we entered the auditorium!  I have to say I was a little proud too.

Once everyone was seated, they found enough empty seats to get the remaining friends and family into the auditorium (they use a live feed to the cafeteria for the overflow seating).  This meant that Justin's girlfriend Leia and Bradley could also make it in and sit with us.  We were only two rows behind the graduates and Matt was right in front of us.  Matt is Bradley's hero.  First thing Bradley asks for when he comes to our house is Matt.  They are joined at the hip.  Literally.

IMG_2522_zpsa4dba688.jpg

Well, that photo was edited to be upright on Photo Bucket, not sure what happened?  Anyway, who cares, we have a Trip Report to write and it shall NOT be delayed!

So, last night was a late night at school for the graduation - a really nice evening despite the temperatures and crowds.  Got some great feedback from the Principal who was there when our oldest went through high school, and a huge supporter of all the kids.  Not just those involved with sports.  Nothing against the kids in sports - I am a huge fan of those programs.  But I had noticed for years that previous administrations in our school system really only supported the sports programs and my kids were more into music and art.  My son plays the baritone sax in the Advanced Band, Jazz Band and Marching Band.  The current administration is doing everything they can for all the kids and they now have an award winning Middle School Band and Chorus to go along with the awards for the various teams.  I think that principal lives at the school.  He also has attended our Boy Scout Troop meetings to support the kids in that program and to help with one of their merit badges.  And I can say that he was 100% behind my oldest son when he struggled with multiple health issues in high school.  If it wasn't for the extra effort given, my oldest would not have graduated with his class, missed almost every day of school from September to late January of his senior year, but they supported him and the teachers worked extra hard to get him caught up on assignments to make it happen.  In their "spare time".

Great night last night, and here is Matt and his friends;

MattNMSGraduation_zps65d96624.jpg

Well, that has to be it for now.  Time to shower and finish packing.  Headed to the airport at 9:00 am! 

Hope y'all have an easy trip down!  I think you definitely did the right thing in telling your wife about the trip ahead of time.  Ray one time decided to whisk me away to Vegas for my birthday.  We had an amazing time, but I was so glad to have put the pieces together around 9:00 the night before so I could pack the things he would have never thought of packing.

Can't wait to hear more!

Cool that you are there. I agree with letting DW know early. I have a better chance of completing brain surgery with a rusty butter knife than I have of successfully packing for my wife. Man has got to know his limitations.