Polly Luna wakes up! A classic RV build story

It was chilly today, in the 50's which was a complete wake up call. We're inching closer and closer to time for our trip. My ticker is scaring me. Can we possibly finish Polly Luna in time for our trip? DH and I have even been talking about the dreaded contingency plan if we don't get Polly ready in time. I have to remind myself that the important part is the trip itself and not how we get there. Supposedly. 

So last I left off we were doing some totally professional body work patching holes and injecting Bondo botox into the stretch marks in the fiberglass gel coat. Pretty much every hour of the last several weekends has been devoted to these efforts and I'm glad to say that we're finally seeing the faintest hint of the light at the end of the tunnel.

But before I get to that, here are a few highlights.  

At some point before she came to live with us, Polly Luna's original door handle busted. Instead of purchasing a direct replacement, a previous owner just cut a giant hole in the side of the door and installed a generic RV door handle. Why?!

21e9d95a-314c-4d53-aeb2-6e2c17d162a6_zps

After a light amount of internet sleuthing we were able to find a direct replacement for the original door handle. It wasn't the cheapest, but totally worth it considering the "new" door handle wasn't even working anymore. 

Unfortunately, the hole in the door was far too large for filler. DH decided the best thing to do would be to fill the void with a piece of aluminum first, then use our friend Bondo to smooth it out.  

10450348_780606081961602_376303875421313

After the Bondo and **spoiler alert** filling primer, this is what the door looks like.

image_zps2bda0672.jpg

After tackling the patching of major body boo-boos we decided to ignore the little blemishes we didn't have time to fix (after all, Polly earned those battle scars) and start seriously prepping the body for paint. 

My favorite part of this process was running the sand-blaster on the aluminum body panels. It's time consuming but really satisfying.

A before shot:

image_zps869d673f.jpg

During:

image_zpsfdac657a.jpg

And some photographic proof that I'm thinking of you guys even when I'm not posting:

image_zps563970e0.jpg

After we finished the final sanding and sand blasting we made the big move from my in-laws driveway to the back yard. It's the first time we've moved Polly more than a few feet since we made that field trip to the hardware store a few months ago. 

She did beautifully. 

image_zpsd66a5489.jpg

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Polly Luna has always had nice lines and now they're even nicer.   The color combination is one of my favorites. Here's one of my creations, notice anything.  

Meet the newest member of our family, Polly Luna, a 1967 Dodge Travco motorhome.       We've always been big fans of vintage vehicles, and before our kids were born we camped in a 1972 VW Contempo ca

Before I dive into this one, I just have to warn you that I might turn up the cheese a bit in the next two updates. A bit more than usual, that is.   We've been working so hard on Polly Luna. Practica

Jason that is AWESOME!    :jumpforjoy  :jumpforjoy  :jumpforjoy

That Travco is in much better shape than Polly at the moment, but we'll get there. Thanks for the pics and the inspiration! We're headed over to do the final sanding today. Bought our paint yesterday...the color turned out a bit different than we anticipated but we're locked into it now. No going back! 

Jason that is AWESOME!    :jumpforjoy  :jumpforjoy  :jumpforjoy

That Travco is in much better shape than Polly at the moment, but we'll get there. Thanks for the pics and the inspiration! We're headed over to do the final sanding today. Bought our paint yesterday...the color turned out a bit different than we anticipated but we're locked into it now. No going back! 

Polly will get there. You guys have been doing a great job. 

Before I dive into this one, I just have to warn you that I might turn up the cheese a bit in the next two updates. A bit more than usual, that is.

We've been working so hard on Polly Luna. Practically every minute of every weekend for the entire summer has been spent with either a power tool or a piece of sandpaper in hand. I've flat out forgotten what it's like to have free time. My kids, too, have probably forgotten what it's like to just stay home on the weekends and not jet off to Grandma's to work on Polly as soon as our eyelids have opened. 

I guess what I'm saying is that we've worked so hard, and this weekend is the first time I've really felt rewarded for what we've put into the old girl. 

So, let's begin where we left off. 

We pulled Polly into my in-laws back yard. The neighbors were probably over the moon. The eyesore was finally hidden from view!  Josh took one last fancy panorama picture before the transformation started.  *note the version of E in the middle with three arms *

27bf7b41-08e3-428f-8e08-31e8a4cbcc56_zps

First order of business was tape (we had started this in the picture above). Everything we didn't want to paint was covered with either tape or plastic. This was a much more frustrating process than we thought it would be since we very quickly discovered that painters tape doesn't like to stick to itself. The final recipe we used was painters top on the bottom, plastic sheeting in the middle and Gorilla tape to stick the sheeting to the painters tape. Yes, Gorilla tape. After our first efforts at adding the sheeting blew away in the wind, we stopped messing around and went right to the good stuff. 

Once her windows and other bits were properly protected, we got started on the part we'd be waiting on. Polly Luna was finally going to be a solid color again. 

Albeit, that color was gray.

ccbf6893-1231-4967-99d6-eb5601dae77c_zps

The "paint" Josh is laying on here is actually a high-build surfacer known as Slick Sand. The idea is that if you have a few blemishes on the body you put this stuff on, then sand it smooth. Since we had more than just a few blemishes, we thought this would be a great idea.

But note the part I just said about how after you spray this on you have to sand it down?  Fun times, especially since this time we used fancy automotive sanding blocks and hand sanded instead of using our now tired and kind-of broken orbital sanders.  

And as if the fact that hand sanding hadn't upped the difficulty level enough, my back chose this time to majorly go out. Josh was alone for the sanding. He managed to finish sanding all 27' x 2 in one weekend. I should ask him where he keeps that magic wand...

Once the Slick Sand was appropriately slick, it was time for yet another coat of gray. This time, 2k primer, which is a build-able primer that helps fill small blemishes. You can see that after working so hard to sand Polly, we were getting a bit paranoid about those stretch marks making an appearance in the final product. 

So, anyone want to guess what happened after the two coats of primer were covering Polly?

If you guessed that we spent another few days with sandpaper in our hands then you win one of FF's newly minted gold stars. 

We hand-sanded the entire body down to 400 grit, then cleaned the dust away with a gentle pressure wash. When the primer was wet you could see colors in the reflection. That's a positive sign. 

9337fa8b-5c7c-4cad-bd7c-e71961d9b9ae_zps

Next update (in just a few minutes): Polly puts her clothes back on.

I'd like to stop a moment to express how amazing it felt to finally be ready for paint. The feeling was a mix of relief, trepidation, worry that we had missed something, but most of all, hopeful. 

Josh and I took a day off work to drive to the nearest shop where we could have our paint mixed for us. It was a great day, a little shopping, lunch at one of our favorite places and some final sanding on Polly. 

Yes, this is what a date looks like for us. 

faff7f7e-df71-4eeb-a721-f7bc30ab6876_zps

We chose our paint color a few months ago. Our first thought was to keep Polly Luna in a stock Travco color, but none of them really appealed to us. We settled on keeping the traditional look of the vehicle (white mid-body stripe and roof), but decided to do an untraditional color for the main body areas. 

After looking through years of old Dodge vehicles, we found it. It's a color that originated on Dodge trucks in 1954 and just happened to fit nicely with our beach wagon theme. 

The color we chose was Banner Green. 

First order of business was laying on the white stripe and roof. For this we picked a creamy white that reminds me of melted vanilla ice cream. 

After it dried (supposedly), we taped off the areas we wanted to keep white. More plastic sheeting and the useful Gorilla tape made a second appearance. 

20140921_184552_zpsb383251e.jpg

Time to bring on the green. Cover your eyes, folks, because the next picture is a little scary. 

DuringPaint_Green_zps582aedfc.jpg

Don't worry, I was scared, too. This was the first coat and I think it looks a little like a radioactive pickle. 

Also, you may have noticed that we painted our tires. That was our way of saving money on whitewalls. Great idea, right?!

Just kidding, we're getting new tires next week so we didn't care if they got a little messy. :)

Finally, three coats of Banner Green coated the rig and it was time to remove the tape to see what we had done. 

Here is Polly Luna's new dress. 

FullBody_Green_zps4208fd63.jpg

TravcoBack_zpsd456e22c.jpg

be36292b-a49a-4652-bf84-2557532b0153_zps

Travco_and_Girlscopy_zps6e098b5f.jpg

I hope you like her!  I think she's beautiful. But then I always did, even before we woke her up a bit. 

Wow !!!

I love Poly's color!!!

That looks very professional.  All your hard work is paying off.

So pleased for you.

And your girls are so cute.

She is just gorgeous!  Your hard work is really paying off.  May she have many, many more years of adventures in her!

Thank you for the support you guys! It really does help motivate us. 

More work happening today. We're going to be putting the trim back on and we're finally installing the new door handle permanently.