I'm camping on the lake (yes, just before I camp at the Fort; I'm crazy). So I have a question about campsite etiquette. We are between two groups who know each other. Both groups have kids who are constantly walking thru our site, ans they're also hanging out on our site. I don't want to be rude, but I don't want to babysit 6 kids that aren't mine either.

Am I just cranky, or are they encroaching on our personal space?

Here's my RV and boat and some kids who aren't mine. They have waterfront sites too, so I don't get it.

A9F06AE9-FA25-445F-8A27-8568435C5643.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the problem is Common courtesy is no longer very common.  If they were my kids they wouldn't be on your site at all.  They would walk to the other by by using the road.  Count me as part of th

If he was actually in a smoking area, that's fine.  I'd have just moved.   If not, I'd have been quite annoyed and probably would have had a "coughing" fit to see if that got any reaction.   If not...

I don't understand parents of young kids these days.   After all we have heard about, how can they let their kids run around unsupervised in a place where they have no idea who might be camping in the

I agree! We had TONS of traffic past and practically in our site this past weekend, although some of it was unavoidable, cause we were practically right on a bridge over a ditch that led to the bath house. But we had a neighbor kid that constantly came over and plopped into one of our chairs every chance he got.

You paid for the site.  You own the site.  

I try to make it a point if there are issues like this to talk to my kids about proper etiquette, making sure I am within earshot of the offenders.  My kids know what I am doing and follow along.  Problem is it usually falls on deaf ears.

First, gorgeous site! That's the kind of site that gets a person campsite spoiled.

Second, count me in with the cranky crowd. Those kids probably don't even care that it isn't their site, it probably never even entered their heads. But what on earth are the parents doing that they aren't keeping and eye on their kids and reeling them in?

Definitely rude.

But we had a neighbor kid that constantly came over and plopped into one of our chairs every chance he got.

What the what?! That is completely crossing the line. I mean...even a kid would know better than to go into someone's yard and sit in their patio set, which is essentially what that is.

Time to get the hose out!

But we had a neighbor kid that constantly came over and plopped into one of our chairs every chance he got.

Can't believe I missed this post.  I agree with CitaPita, totally over the edge.  Time to break out the tacks and broken glass........

Guess it would depend if Z is playing with them; if he's not... then I do NOT think it's rude to ask them to walk around your site (I mean, the road is. right. there.).

BTW, nice site! Shady Grove?

Our kids played with them a little yesterday, but I took that picture from the playground where we were playing this morning. They're also all around my boat. I had to ask them to leave, so I could back it up.

That's Bald Ridge Creek campground. :)

These days it's more than just courtesy (and absolutely it's reasonable to expect them to not keep tromping through your site), it's a liability issue. 

If one of the kids trips over your chair and whacks their head on your cooler, then what?

I would politely tell the kids to please walk around.

If that gets you nowhere, then talk to the parents.

If the parents have an issue with the fact that you talked to their kids, then I'd tell them if they'd talked to their own kids, you wouldn't have had to.  8)

I don't understand parents of young kids these days.

After all we have heard about, how can they let their kids run around unsupervised in a place where they have no idea who might be camping in the next campsite?

I see it all the time at the Fort.  On the trips we've had Rocky with us, it never fails that we have kids who are way too young to be out on their own show up at our site wanting to pet the dog, etc.  Are parents stupid?  Anyone can rent a campsite at the Fort.  Bad people too.  And how many of these unsupervised little kids are good swimmers?  What if one of them wanders off an falls in a canal?  I've seen kids who can barely pedal a bike riding around on little bikes with training wheels, no helmet, in the middle of the road with cars coming around the loop.  Where are their parents?

I never let my kids out of my site when they were little.  I don't even like letting them out of my site now, and they're all adults.

TCD

Our kids played with them a little yesterday, but I took that picture from the playground where we were playing this morning. They're also all around my boat. I had to ask them to leave, so I could back it up.

That's Bald Ridge Creek campground. :)

I don't think you're cranky then.  If your kid is not playing with them and heck...if you're not even at your site...then they are definitely over-stepping.  I agree with TCD, I don't understand (most) parents these days and the lack of supervision.  When we were at the Fort in May, the kids next to us were ages 7 and 9 and their folks let them ride their scooters not only away from their site in the 100 loop but down to the playground and beach by themselves.  I had to explain to Bailey that I would not let her do that....too many stories about children (even older kids) and people snatching them.  I didn't go into detail with Boo, but simply said that I needed to be with her.

But, back to your question, nope...not cranky.  They need to stay out of your space.

I would be worried about the boat, too.

Maybe it's a feeling that the shoreline area is like common space?

We had a similar circumstance last weekend at a state park campground.

Here's looking at where we were able to pull our canoe in:

10429210_4386961207480_66323358864054654

And when it was half-way on solid ground, looking back at our site:

10458030_4386959127428_91784110233805164

There were guys in a site across the road from us who parked their fishing boat next to our canoe & walked around us to come & go.  

But one time there were 2 families who had kayaks that walked down & one of their kids ran along the shoreline chasing the Canadian geese that were "camped" in the next site over.  We were the ones who initially yelled to the kid that that wasn't a good idea--it was 2 adults with about 6 baby geese.  The parents finally did say something to him, but didn't seem concerned at all that he was running across our site.

I think you should break out your teacher voice and issue them a stern reminder to be mindful and respectful of others personal space.

Yes!

TCD's mention of Rocky reminds me of the time we had the girls at the dog park.  There was a family in there with a toddler girl - she couldn't have been more than 3.  They completely ignored her while they chit chatted on the other side of the park, and she proceeded to try and chase and grab at my dogs. 

Seriously people, it's a dog park.  There will be dogs in it.  Dogs that aren't necessarily keen to be chased and grabbed at by toddlers.

I kept kicking the ball away from her to get my dogs to run elsewhere, but she kept chasing them.  Fortunately they were way too fast for her, and at worst she was at danger of getting knocked over, but sheesh people... 

We've been there other times when younger kids out riding on their bikes just wander in without any adults around, because they want to come play with the dogs.  We've nicely told them that it's the dogs' playtime and to please stay out of the way.  A few times they've left... without closing the gate.

:banghead:

Oh best part about the toddler girl... she was running around the dog park barefoot and sitting/laying in the grass.

ew...

I can't count the number of times we've been (slowly) looping on the cart when a kid on a razor scooter has come shooting out in front of us.

One time the kid was in front of us and we were crawling along trying not to get too close because he wasn't moving over.  Then without warning he whipped around and shot right back towards us.  We stopped.  He didn't, and managed to swerve to avoid us at the last second.  The look on his face made me hope his mother had packed spare underwear.

Yes it's a campground, and yes it's Disney, but that doesn't mean it's a magical, safe "bubble" where nothing bad never happens and you can toss all manners and common sense out the window.